Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast
  1. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    It's a 0.0.4 update - increase in battery life and (the oh-so-sweet) ability to launch Sprint Nav from the calendar are pretty big all by themselves.
    Sprint Nav is useless to everyone outside of the USA and next month even those in the USA not on Sprint. Surely they should be working on generic features given the number of basic things missing, rather than niche fixes like this?
    There's no arguing that different features are different to other people. My point that I try to get across is that we complain and complain but, as consumers, we have the choice of getting a different product if said product makes us unhappy. You can very easily sell a Pre on craigslist for a couple hundred and purchase many other phones that record video with that money.

Hell, you can even get out of your Sprint contract relatively easily now with the regulatory fee changes and get yourself an Iphone (and god forbid you make the mistake of getting an Iphone 3G that doesn't have a video recorder)
    How amazing that some of you are actually HAPPY that this update supposedly does so little. I swear, it's like some of you have Stockholm Syndrome.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by firstimer View Post
    I removed the patch for led notification, yet it still blinks. Any ideas?
    Did you turn the option for blink notifications off before you removed the patch?

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $patch$ $just$ $enables$ $the$ $user$ $control$ $to$ $adjust$ $that$ $property$, $it$ $doesn$'$t$ $actually$ $affect$ $the$ $property$ $itself$, $so$ $you$ $need$ $to$ $change$ $it$ $back$ $to$ &$quot$;$off$&$quot$; $before$ $removing$ $the$ $patch$.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Urging people to stop acting like children, in this instance, is a very intelligent comment, IMO.

That's kind of an important point. When we bought our phones, we did so with the specific features included. We may want updates to address others, but whining about the fact that Palm didn't (and never promised to) provide something that you want is simply childish.
    I'm trying to figure out the point your trying to make? First off I quoted the persons comment on calling people spoiled children for asking for basic functions.

Second you CANNOT compare a phone not coming with basic functions to the "hopes" of getting advanced software like slingplayer. At least you can address your concern to sling developers, who else other than palm should I address basic phones functions to?
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aceattorney View Post
    How amazing that some of you are actually HAPPY that this update supposedly does so little. I swear, it's like some of you have Stockholm Syndrome.
    some=wide majority
  7. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Surely a company like palm could knock up say a video recording app in a day or two between a couple of developers? The groundwork is there and it doesn't need to be feature rich (what is on the Pre?)...that would keep some folk happy who are baying for blood.
    Seems odd to me they would commit resources to sprint nav which most Pre users cant even access, yet omit things like this, bluetooth file transfer, SMS delivery notification which are universally accessible etc.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    If people didn't have unlikely hopes for future patches to hang onto, the world of WebOS would be a much gloomier place.
    You sir, are a truth teller. I've largely given up on WebOS, and instead look to PreWare for patches everyday, with the anticipation a 6 year old has on Christmas morning looking for new treasures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gompers View Post
    Did you turn the option for blink notifications off before you removed the patch?

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $patch$ $just$ $enables$ $the$ $user$ $control$ $to$ $adjust$ $that$ $property$, $it$ $doesn$'$t$ $actually$ $affect$ $the$ $property$ $itself$, $so$ $you$ $need$ $to$ $change$ $it$ $back$ $to$ &$quot$;$off$&$quot$; $before$ $removing$ $the$ $patch$.
    Yeah, you'll have to put the patch back on to change the prefs to stop the blinking. No need to do that if the update is all you're worried about, though - the enabled blinking doesn't interfere with the system files in the same way the patch itself does.
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    I posted these questions in another thread, but this may be a better place.

I ran EPR, and everything uninstalled fine except for the patch that captures photos with the volume keys, which I installed to run with the patch that launches the camera app on a landscape unlock (the latter patch [which uninstalled fine with EPR] was dependent on the former, IIRC). Any ideas on how to get rid of this short of a Repair Utility sesssion? (The machine here at home isn't Repair Utility-compatible.)

Also, I still have about 6 Launcher pages even though the patch that adds pages is gone. I seem to remember that past removals would gang all the apps on three pages rather than leave things as is. Is this OK?
    *BUMP*

Im having the same issue with the volume key capture patch. when trying to remove it, I get the error, Failure during pre-remove script execution. But after restarting phone, the patch no longer works but still shows as installed.. Can i update like this??
    I can second Gompers.

Watch the patch never come out, and it was all a mis communication on someone's part (palm or sprint) and will be released at CES.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The good news is that's exactly what's happening (voting with your purchase dollars) given the sales info on their last earnings call. Lotta unsold WebOS devices out there on store shelves. I'm sure they've taken notice.
    I suspect their lower sales numbers are due more to the rush of "early adopters" than to overall dissatisfaction with the device.

I know some won't like it being referenced again, but every satisfaction poll I've seen on this forum shows that Pre owners (on this forum) seem to be pretty happy with the device. And forums such as this tend to attract those that aren't.

I continue to believe that a small but vocal minority represent most of the complainers.
    Quote Originally Posted by aceattorney View Post
    I'm not happy that the update supposedly does so little...but, before today's changelog release, I was never lead to expect anything more than the app limit fix.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Did anyone else notice that the release notes seem Sprint Network/App specific? This is probably only part of the release notes. (The part dealing with the Sprint config version number perhaps?)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    Surely a company like palm could knock up say a video recording app in a day or two between a couple of developers? The groundwork is there and it doesn't need to be feature rich (what is on the Pre?)...that would keep some folk happy who are baying for blood.
    To be fair, the "basic groundwork" is there, but it doesn't allow to split the video feed to multiple destinations. Thus, there is no "viewfinder".

Take a look at the nature of the posts complaining about this "missing basic feature" (video recording). Can you imagine the howls of protest from some of the same sources if Palm were to officially release a video recorder with no viewfinder?

Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    Seems odd to me they would commit resources to sprint nav which most Pre users cant even access, yet omit things like this, bluetooth file transfer, SMS delivery notification which are universally accessible etc.
    You lost me on this one, most Pre users have Sprint, so how do you figure "most Pre users cant even access" Sprint Nav?
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I suspect their lower sales numbers are due more to the rush of "early adopters" than to overall dissatisfaction with the device.

I know some won't like it being referenced again, but every satisfaction poll I've seen on this forum shows that Pre owners (on this forum) seem to be pretty happy with the device. And forums such as this tend to attract those that aren't.

I continue to believe that a small but vocal minority represent most of the complainers.
    I think the idea of having a device with NEW and EXCITING OS plus "Preware" is whats keeping people happy with the device. Lets face it w/o preware or filecoaster trust me there would be plenty of returns and ****ed off ex pre owners.

Multitasking is exciting I wont lie, but that's not enough to keep me happy with missing basic functions. It's quite sad that something so standard is now to be delivered as something new and innovative...
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    some=wide majority
    not happy - just realistic. as a hobbyist developer, normally a 0.0.4 represents just four iterations from a previous release. A MAJOR release would require a lot more testing/QA so it doesnt suprise me that a 0.0.4 release just introduces a few features. That being said, allgedly fixing the app storage limit and improving the speed and battery is more than I would have expected for a 0.0.4 release

I think the bigger question is how soon will be get a MAJOR update such as a 2.0 release? That will determine the ultimate fate of the Pre. RIght now direct hardware, GPU access seems to be biggest thing lacking. If they incorporate that, we'll see a number of major software developers start putting out products. This is also probably whats holding back video recording as the alpha precorder can't do a viewfinder due to lack of hardware acceleration.
    anyone know if you have to remove precorder for the latest update its the only thing on my pre at this point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post
    anyone know if you have to remove precorder for the latest update its the only thing on my pre at this point...

precorder is an app, is fine to stay!
    Nothing yet here in NJ.. 1:00pm Monday