Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Remove patches today, problem avoided.

...or run Preware "emergency patch removal" immediately after the update is finished. It can be found in Preware under linux applications.
    I'm pretty sure he said that he ran the emergency patch removal after the update and it did not resolve the problem. I think the only solution here is to use the WebOS Dr. tool to reload a fresh image. I've done it a few times and it's not as bad as it sounds, it's just time consuming. I would also recommend capturing the palm profile db file so that you don't lose your contacts in the cloud.
    There are plenty of things that I would put on my wish list for 1.3.5
    • Better battery life
    • Video recording
    • GPU support
    • More APIs for developers
    • Separate mp3 tones for email (without having to use a patch)
    • Ability to modify photos
    • Better calendar

At this point, I just need the bugs from 1.3.1 fixed
    • Too many cards error
    • Lag
    • Did I already say too many cards error?

Palm just fix the errors from 1.3.1 and I'll be happy. Very frustrating to have to reset the phone almost twice a day because of the too many cards error.
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels." - Thomas Carlyle
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    These are very nice and thorough instructions. I would be very appreciative if something could be added as to what to do if the firmware update does a forced installation BEFORE you have a chance to remove the patches. Take for example, my wife. I installed patches for her prior to the last update. I was away when the last update came out. She had no idea as to how to remove anything so I told her to just decline the update installation whenever the Pre asked. However, it eventually told her that the next time the phone was charging, it was going to install the update regardless. The phone would've been dead long before I returned so there was no choice but to recharge it and let it do its thing. The update wiped out patches that were installed on the phone. When I try to reinstall them, the installation bombs out on the Pre with an error that the patch is already there.

I HAVE searched and dug through multiple threads in which the subject comes up by find no definitive answer. I have tried the emergency uninstall all patches from both Preware and Quick Install but they have no effect on the problem. I also tried a PC app (forget the name) that compares files in the Pre to the ROM and is supposed to restore any changed ROM files to the original. Somehow that had no effect either. Most persons in these threads ended up wiping the phone & starting over. Even if Palm's cloud backup was reliable, and it's NOT, I still wouldn't want to wipe the phone and start over. I just have too many other things on there that I neither want to lose, nor do I have the time to set everything all up again. There has to be practical way to fix this without a complete wipe.

There is always going to be some unfortunate soul for whom the upgrade hits them unaware. Could we please add some definitive instructions on what to do when it does? It will avoid a lot of threads and aggravation. I don't know if it makes a difference but there was no theme loaded on her Pre. It was just patches.

Thanks,

Bob
    The reality is anyone who has patches, preware, or homebrew apps installed is not going to be caught off guard by a WebOS update.

Not saying te feature would not be nice but certainly not crucial for this crowd.
  4.    #24  
    ...what to do if the firmware update does a forced installation BEFORE you have a chance to remove the patches...
    Follow the same steps in the OP.

But I agree with the answer that you were given to just remove them now if you have any concerns.

Soon, you may find that you don't need to remvoe patches at all for an update but not yet.

- Craig
    in preparation, I removed my patches today. One question however that I haven't seen: I changed the phone dialer background only, I did not install a theme. Does the phone dialer background need to be put back to the original before the update? Thanks!
    man i tried to run the phone fresh with no patches at all and i only made it one day before having a heart attack. Its like crack, once you dtart all goes to h-e-double hockey sticks
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joetemp75 View Post
    man i tried to run the phone fresh with no patches at all and i only made it one day before having a heart attack. Its like crack, once you dtart all goes to h-e-double hockey sticks
    Yep - I removed all patches in anticipation of 1.3.5 and it's like a different phone. RocknRollHax, anyone?
    I know this really does not answer your question/solve the problem, but the way I manage the uncertainty of OTA updates is to turn them off. A link to the instructions is in my sig. This way, if you are traveling or otherwise unavailable when an update hits, you get to choose the time that you install it.

I had a problem similar to yours when Palm Support had me do a partial erase to solve an email problem, and I went along with them without thinking of the patches I had installed. I could neither remove nor reinstall them, so I doctored my phone. As others have said, it is not as painful as it might seem.

I HAVE searched and dug through multiple threads in which the subject comes up by find no definitive answer.
    I ♥ my Pre.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    100 percent agree with WYNAND32. I want the Pre to work with my Infiniti as well.
    I love new features but really the top issue for me by far is speed. Opening apps, scrolling menus and lists, reading email, THE PHONE APP... Please oh please speed the phone up so I don't hit the same button twice waiting for the first click! GPU use? I don't care how they do it. Just do it.

Then down the list is video recording.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    I really want Windows Live synergy support and for the hardware to be opened up more for app developers.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    +1

I'd also like all the bugs from 1.3.1 to be gone. Specifically:
    Shortened notification Sounds
    Lag
    "Too Many Cards" error running rampant
    Aux connection/speaker phone magic no longer works
    Email notifications very spotty
    That may be the biggest disappointment I've had yet. I do not understand killing the mic when something is plugged in to the speaker/headphone jack. I haven't checked, but it may just be when it's on the touchstone. Whatever it is, I'm ****ed about it. Speakerphone worked great and now, I don't know how many calls I dropped and redialed r was called back until I figure out what happened.

I hate to even think about it, but I think the Pre will be going to my 11 yr old and I'll get something else. A grown up device.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Homie View Post
    I love new features but really the top issue for me by far is speed. Opening apps, scrolling menus and lists, reading email, THE PHONE APP... Please oh please speed the phone up so I don't hit the same button twice waiting for the first click! GPU use? I don't care how they do it. Just do it.

Then down the list is video recording.
    Another ditto. It's supposed to be a phone first, but it kinda sucks as a phone.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'll just jump in here with the ultimate anticipatory question: does the creation of all these 1.3.5 threads serve as a hint that 1.3.5 is imminent?
    I kinda wondered too. Especially when I realized that each link goes to yet another closed thread.
    An email that works. Not talking outlook, or gmail, or anything like that...I'd like my university's IMAP email account to be setup. I was able to use it prior to this latest update. Twice I have contacted Palm support...twice I have spoken to a level 2 support person...twice I was told a level 3 person would contact me in 1 to 2 days...twice they have neglected to contact me. I think there are no level 3 people and this is an avoidance because of all the issues of the update. I like my phone, I really do...but I need to email my students when I want...where I want.

OK...off the soapbox now.

Peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopperguy View Post
    Video recording, no app limit and Speed (Latency BE GONE!), oh my?

(I can at least hope for these, right?)
    *cough*
    Video Recording....ROFLMAO. Ans: Maybe in version 1.5 or 1.6 ormaybe v2.0.

No App Limit..... Ans: Kind of the main reason for 1.3.5 in the first place.

Speed Improvement..... Ans: Only if your on crack will this one come true in version 1.3.5. I wish to god this would be in the next update, but I'm thinking it will be version 3 before they get the speed up to snuff. Right now I'm more accurate drunk...simply because my reactions slow down so much when totally 'done' that the phone can keep up to me.....lol. Wait..thats kind of sad isn't it????
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Palm please include this piece of code:
    Code:
    while (speed <= slow)
    {
         speed++;
    }
    That is all I want
    GPU Support will be named WebOS 2.0 as it will be a major improvement over the WebOS 1.x speeds. However if it's added to a 1.3.x release I'll be really impressed!
    This is a small update .. if we are going from 1.3.1 to 1.3.5 that means that there wont be much changed in this update. Now if we jump to 1.4.1 or something like that than there will be lots more changes done. With it being such a small jump in the new OS update theres not going to be alot of big changes. Thats what I think. Not really too excited about this update. I like for big things to happen.. and quickly
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    at this point, all i want it the stupid touchscreen to work like it did before 1.3.1

what were they thinking....
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567 12 ... LastLast