Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 20 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    "Ok, so let me demonstrate webOS 1.3.5. We can now install more apps. So here we go to the app catalog. Let me pick an app to download. Here we go. No warnings.. Going back into the catalog. Let's see, another app to download.. It's downloading. Again, without saying I don't have enough space. So yeah, that's what we've been working on for 1.3.5."

"Another thing we did is improve app performance. So let me load up an app... Just as you'd expect. Little to no lag. O, well, it's still a little laggy. Let me close some cards here. So that's new."

"We also improved battery life."

haha, yea really they have to have something more to announce.. something is being kept secret...i hope..
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    haha! Thanks that cheered up and otherwise disappointing week

I see a mass Pre suicide if they don't have some hidden WOW factor
    If I were a betting man, I would put my money on webOS 2.0 as the big news. There's no way they are having a press conference for just a minor release, even if it is the new pinnacle of perfection for our existing feature set.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    All I want for Christmas is a new Bluetooth stack. I'm now officially angry with my Pre for its inability to work correctly with my Infiniti.
    I second this! My Pre connects to my Pathfinder but doesn't disconnect. Then it sucks the battery down in a few hours if I don't remember to turn off the bluetooth feature to force the disconnect. And yes, I have to turn it off, not just 'disconnect'. The Pre is a phone first, how can Palm go this long without fixing the bluetooth issues!?!?
    The big announcement will be the upgrade and that Palm's products will now be sold on all the major networks: Sprint, Verizion, ATT and T-Mobile.

That's the big announcement! Not the upgrade!

No new hardware, as they stated that they are not going to deliver new hardware. They probably will increase the memory size on both the Pre and the Pixi. And they will be adding wifi to the Pixi.

But that is it!

They just have to do enough to please the stock holders.

That is all they are working for now. Just to get those numbers up!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I'm hoping that at least part of the big announcement is the introduction of three features that this community has been consistently begging for:

1. Voice Command/Recording/Dialing
    2. Video Recording
    3. Ability to create Groups of Contacts for easy mass-texting to family/friends (C'mon Palm, my first Sanyo cell phone 7 years ago could do this)

As long as Palm devices are missing basic features like this that users really want (and love on their iPhones and other devices such as Samsung), I don't see how they can succeed.
    Last edited by markbugs; 12/20/2009 at 12:39 PM.
    Just curious, what happened to 1.3.2 to 1.3.4?

Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    You guys DO realize that 1.3.5 is an update to address problems with 1.3.1 and nothing more. It's an update to an update.
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    If that's true they could have atleast pushed out 1.3.1.000001 or something to fix the damn email!
    >_<
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Soon, you may find that you don't need to remvoe patches at all for an update but not yet.

- Craig
    OK, is this just a guess, or is it something based on some inside info?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    Preware/Quick Install must be looking at something different than the Linux installation scripts when determining if a patch is installed. I think the Linux installation scripts must be seeing some leftover remnant from when the patch was actually installed, even though the patch itself is not.
    I had a problem basically the same as yours, and just Doctored the Pre to fix it.

However, I think that what's making the patches not work is the backup file. I'm not sure this is the case, but here's what I think.

When you use WebOSQI or PreWare to install a patch, the original file is backed up. When you remove the patch, the backup is removed. If you do an update, the patched file is over-written, but the backup remains. When you try to run the script, it can't back up the file (because the backup already exists) so it fails.

I'm not 100% sure this is what's going on, but I think so. I'm too lazy, or I'd just check the backup extensions for WOSQUI and PreWare, and write a script to clean them off.

Maybe you can get more info (confirmation one way or another) on Main Page - WebOS Internals
    Quote Originally Posted by victorkruger View Post
    I just got done reading the front page article about 1.3.5 possibly moving the apps from /var to /media/internal . I am both happy and concerned over this change. I'm happy because of the obvious of not having that annoying, not enough room error. But at the same time is that they are imposing encryption onto a folder when you go into usb disk mode.

Here is a possible future chain of events that i see with this issue.
    1. patch comes out (Yay!!)
    2. people try and get access to the encrypted folder.
    3. people succeed to obtaining access to encrypted folder ( i already have a handful of ideas of doing this already)
    4. palm locks down those ways and then starts locking down other parts of the phone in hopes of people not breaking into the apps folder.
    5. palm begins actively shutting down any sites/activity that involves homebrew/hacking of the palm pre.
    6. cats and dogs sleeping together, mass hysteria.

I hope i'm wrong and this is just a bit of "tin foil hat" paranoia.
    I think you're buying worry for no reason. I believe that the only reason they're encrypting the folder is to keep neophytes out of it. From my understanding, when the USB is not mounted, the data is readily accessible, and as open as ever.
    Believe me, it'd be much easier to access the Pre via root access than to try to break the encryption.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I'm actually Canadian myself so I do have a handle on the fact that not all humans are Americans :-)
    At the risk of getting off-topic, why are Cnadians not "Americans". Same continent as we USofA folks - America.

For that matter, shouldn't we be USAians or something like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by savatino View Post
    Ah, so no (beta) Flash Support with this one eh? I see.... *smirks*

It's cool....
    I don't think you're going to see Flash released as an OS update, I believe it will come directly from Adobe.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    It's based on the Preware Features Roadmap I published last week.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    Preware/Quick Install must be looking at something different than the Linux installation scripts when determining if a patch is installed. I think the Linux installation scripts must be seeing some leftover remnant from when the patch was actually installed, even though the patch itself is not.

On the flip side, I can easily install any patch that was NOT INSTALLED PRIOR to the upgrade. That is because, since the patch was never installed before, there is no remnant confusing the Linux installation script.
    Don't use the quilt stuff any more - install Patches using Preware or WebOS Quick Install.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I have to believe that the engineers are working furiously on a fix to the lag problem. As much as I love how the WebOS works the lag is so bad that I quit demoing the device with friends for fear of embarrassing myself.

This year Palm at CES Palm has to show two things:

1) That the WebOS is quick and stable and that there are evolutionary enhancements like video camera, battery life, killer PIM feature like really nice tasks manager with universal sync, etc.

2) Something news worthy: new device, killer desktop integration, Flash Apps?, OEM partner, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    I have to believe that the engineers are working furiously on a fix to the lag problem. As much as I love how the WebOS works the lag is so bad that I quit demoing the device with friends for fear of embarrassing myself.

This year Palm at CES Palm has to show two things:

1) That the WebOS is quick and stable and that there are evolutionary enhancements like video camera, battery life, killer PIM feature like really nice tasks manager with universal sync, etc.

2) Something news worthy: new device, killer desktop integration, Flash Apps?, OEM partner, etc.

I agree^^
  18.    #198  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Soon, you may find that you don't need to remove patches at all for an update but not yet.

- Craig
    Here's the link: Preware Feature Roadmap. Check it out.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/20/2009 at 03:37 PM.
    As much as I love how the WebOS works the lag is so bad that I quit demoing the device with friends for fear of embarrassing myself.
    Same here. I stopped trying to convince people to buy the Pre too. After 1.3.1 and after 4 months of dealing with some of the lag and other goofiness of the phone, much of the wind has been taken out of my sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    I second this! My Pre connects to my Pathfinder but doesn't disconnect. Then it sucks the battery down in a few hours if I don't remember to turn off the bluetooth feature to force the disconnect. And yes, I have to turn it off, not just 'disconnect'. The Pre is a phone first, how can Palm go this long without fixing the bluetooth issues!?!?
    Maybe you guys have a car problems. The Pre works great with the SYNC system in my two Ford's.

Maybe you should think about buying American.