Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    you could just for newbs sake post directions for screen shooting on the pre and how to post on the threads . i olny say this because i had a hard time figuring it out my self.
    I will add this wording:

Please take a screen shot to show us what problem you are seeing on your Pre by pressing and holding the Orange - Sym - P keys at the same time. Connect your Pre to the USB cable and select USB Drive. The Pre will appear to your computer like a USB drive. Click on it's /screencapture subdirectory to see your screen shot. When you make your post on PreCentral, click Manage Attachments to add the screenshot.
    How does that look?

- Craig
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarlson40 View Post
    Awesome, great summary. Looking forward to the Preware section. Perhaps it would be helpful to comment in the previous section on the difference between WebOS QuickInstall and Preware.... I think this is a common confusion that keeps people from even starting in the first place (they don't know which one they need)
    Great idea!

I am expanding a paragraph in the middle to say this:

That's it! You can now install Homebrew Apps, patches, and themes using WebOS Quick Install. Use Preware if you want to download directly to your Pre or Pixi.
    For now, that just references them back to the regular Preware thread. Soon that will be a follow-on article.

How does that sound? Any other ideas?

- Craig
    I first think you should add the screen for the repository before the preview for the music player remix. Then say something like scroll down and find music player remix. Click on the word for the preview to see the following screen. Then show the preview. Then continue on like you had it showing the box being clicked. Basically make the screen shots exactly what you will see when running the program. Almost like a virtual checklist.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Looks great! A must read for any Pre owner, needs to be a sticky to keep it up top. I will definitely use the link to educate those who request instruction. Great work! Thank you
    The goal is to have this as an article for the front page. This thread would then be a stickie in the Tips and Tricks forum once we get it refined.

As fast as everything is improving, we will constantly be updating it.

- Craig
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Templarian View Post
    Looks good, but I feel this method is a little dated. I know it says look forward to a Preware article... wouldn't just using Preware from the start solve all the hassle (I believe Preware has standalone installers now, which would make it easier)?

The "Quick" Install while nice just seems dated for normal users, and the patches are getting converted quickly now for new versions.
    The next article will be on using the existing Preware to download on your Pre (or Pixi).

When the standalone Preware installation is available publicly, I will do an article on that as well.

I hope that both WOQI and Preware are both around for a long time. I do not see either one as the replacement for the other. It is very healthy for our community to have two excellent options.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    As well as ensuring that people understand that once the patch makes it to webos-patches feed, they will not match the package id of the drag-and-drop'd patch. Thus the drag-and-drop'd install will need to be uninstalled if the user wants to use the webos-patches package to get the additional benefits of screenshots, category, maintainer, updates etc...
    A good point. I really was thinking about patches that I'm told are not deliverable by Preware because they require an image overlay. But for patches simply in development that have been submitted to Preware, users should be strongly urged to uninstall and reinstall the patch once it's available. That will help avoid at least a few "dude, I can't find my patch" posts.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by cas_esq View Post
    Here are my thoughts, for whatever they're worth:

I agree that a quick explanation of the difference between Preware and Quick Install is warranted at the beginning. You can note that both require an initial USB hookup.
    Check. How does it look?
    Considering the confusion that continues to reign among a small number of posters, I hope the instruction to type the konami code into the "start screen" is sufficient. It should be, but some people surprise me.
    The only way I know to deal with this that will really work is to show it to them like this:

1. Go to the main (start) screen on your Palm Pre or Pixi:

Although it does not appear that there is anywhere to type, type "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart" without the quotation marks.

So I am including that.
    Also, the code should be typed onto the phone's start screen (not the Pre's, since you're writing for the both Pre and the Pixi). Same with the instruction to connect the USB cable to the computer and select "Just Charge" when prompted by the phone.
    I think all references are fixed now. Thanks.
    In the Getting Help section, could you mention how helpful it is for help requests to include basic information about the problem and what the OP has done to address it? Just basic stuff like version info, detailed descriptions of what they've done ("I then selected USB drive" makes it so easy to help), and a description of fixes already attempted.
    I can't put in too much but I did add a couple of sentences.

Great ideas! Keep them coming! What a great collaboration.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/05/2009 at 01:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Check. How does it look?
    Great!
  9.    #29  
    Preware has it own installers at Index of /.
    Which installer do you use?
    The Preware Installer instructions show that no software needs to be on the computer? No Javascript? No Novacom?

It does not show that any software will be installed during installation. How does that work?

- Craig
  10.    #30  
    Another thought. I know this is meant to be a basic primer, but have you considered including a brief set of instructions for users who might want to try out patches being developed in the forums before they're finalized/packaged for Preware? A quick and dirty explanation of how to "drag and drop" patches using Quick Install might be beneficial.
    Yes. Next up has to be the Preware article and then I can set my sights on the next target.

For now, how does this addition sound:

But wait, there are still more patches to be found at PreCentral Patch Forum! You can save a .patch file to your computer and then in WebOS Quick Install click the + button to add it and then click Install. Done!
    I just added it to the article.

- Craig
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I first think you should add the screen for the repository before the preview for the music player remix. Then say something like scroll down and find music player remix. Click on the word for the preview to see the following screen. Then show the preview. Then continue on like you had it showing the box being clicked. Basically make the screen shots exactly what you will see when running the program. Almost like a virtual checklist.
    Nice suggestion!

I just made that change.

Thank you!

Any others?

- Craig
  12.    #32  
    As well as ensuring that people understand that once the patch makes it to webos-patches feed, they will not match the package id of the drag-and-drop'd patch. Thus the drag-and-drop'd install will need to be uninstalled if the user wants to use the webos-patches package to get the additional benefits of screen shots, category, maintainer, updates etc...
    Now you are making me think that to avoid the countless issues we will see, maybe take this back out of the beginner article?

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/05/2009 at 08:43 PM.
    Why PreWare vs PreLoad, which I've found to be very feature rich?
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Now you are making me think that to avoid the countless issues we will see, maybe take this back out of the beginner article?

- Craig
    I withdraw my comment re un-packaged patches. It's more trouble than it's worth.
  15.    #35  
    I withdraw my comment re un-packaged patches. It's more trouble than it's worth.
    How about if we mention it and just refer them over to that thread:

You can also install .patch files from the PreCentral Patch Forum using these instructions.
    - Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/06/2009 at 11:41 AM.
    Honestly, I like the *first* way you explain the .patches myself. It's much more complete. Just use the original wording you had, but add a bit more details like "When these patches are accepted into Preware, it would be best to uninstall the alpha patch thru webOS qi and THEN install thru Preware. More details can be found here." to the end of it. Personally, I like guides to be COMPLETE, which would mean including the "webos20090606" alongside the Konami code. Just for reference if nothing else... and so that everybody's on the same page, which is the whole point of the guide.

I'm sure I'll be able to find something for you to change.
    OK... finally read thru the guide once. Excellent job, guys!!

Here's some rather nitpicky things I'd adjust:

- In the intro, what does "save your battery" mean?!? Didn't know I was gonna lose it.
    - Add "webos20090606" right behind the Konami code.
    - Mention that there's no Linux support for WebOS QI and that Windows or OS X are required.
    - "But wait, there are still more patches to be found at PreCentral Patch Forum! It's important to realize that these patches aren't even "unofficially" supported, so you must also understand that you're doing this at YOUR OWN RISK. When these patches are accepted into Preware, it would be best to uninstall the alpha patch thru WebOS Quick Install and THEN install thru Preware. You can save a .patch file to your computer and then in WebOS Quick Install click the + button to add it and then click Install. Done! More details can be found here."
    - Perhaps mention that QI can't uninstall Preware installs and vice-versa (Preware can't uninstall QI installs).
    - Make sure to remove the "By the time you read this, " right before "WebOS QI should be able to easily restore the original Palm theme"... and edit the rest to make sense in that context.

Then there's the other things that some posters above me mentioned:

- What happens if you don't remove patches/themes before a webOS update? Anybody tried it? Is there really *no* patch that would be able to make the jump?
    - PreLoad -vs- PreWare?? What the heck is PreLoad?

Now I guess it's time for me to break out my ol' rusty Windows box, since Linux isn't supported.
    Now that I've actually pulled out the Win box and realized that WebOS QI is a java app, I'm gonna be moving back to the Linux box now.

So make sure you update the guide to tell that it's friendly to all OSes.
    And some more...

Must I actually have the device plugged in before running WebOS QI for the first time? If so, that should be a warning in red text ("You MUST plug in the USB cable before running QI for the first time!"). I wasn't actually following the guide and just ran the .jar file, it downloaded the Doctor to my desktop and then told me to restart. At that point, I plugged the usb in, selected "Just charge"... and then ran QI again. At this point, I didn't [and still don't] see the "Panic Button: Run WebOSDoctor". So I guess I've screwed up already??

OK, so then I click "Attempt Novacom (re)install..." and I download the novacom.deb to my desktop and then nothing else happens. It seems like something else should be happening here, right? You end the section with "That's it! You can now use QI..." but clearly, something's not right here. Perhaps this is a Linux issue? Or is there really another step where I install the .deb?

Jeez... I thought this was gonna be ***** proof.

EDIT: Now, I'm thinking that Novacom should be installed on the desktop, right? Don't see why else I'd have a .deb if .deb files aren't supported by QI or webOS...
    Last edited by grndslm; 11/08/2009 at 05:11 AM.
    - Perhaps mention the EPR patch again in the "webOS Updates" section near the end, like so: "Just in case you didn't remove your patches before a webOS update, make sure to IMMEDIATELY run the Emergency Patch Repair patch mentioned right above."

Somehow my eyes skipped over the "Remove all patches at once" in bold. My eyes have a tendency of skipping over lots of important things like that.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast