1.    #1  
    Other than moving foward (closer) toward the object, is there anyway to zoom on the palm pre camera.
    the Quality is excellent, but sometimes I need a closer pic.
    Especially when I'm at the race track taking pics
    Nope...no zoom.

Quote Originally Posted by blacknight07607 View Post
    Other than moving foward (closer) toward the object, is there anyway to zoom on the palm pre camera.
    the Quality is excellent, but sometimes I need a closer pic.
    Especially when I'm at the race track taking pics
    Would be a nice patch request - along with video
    Zoom would be digital and therefor give horrific results.
  5. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    I'm hoping the camera, like most of the native apps, will get a functionality makeover....
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Well, as a previous poster said, the only zoom that could be added would be a fake zoom (aka digital zoom).. You can get the same results by taking a picture and cropping it on a computer when you're done. Most phones don't have real zooms, so the Palm is no different.
    I think the Pre camera is quite good, although I have found some of the results are slightly fuzzy .. and i never really used a zoom on a camera on a phone before , so can live without zoom.

What i would like is , not sure of the technical term but when you take a photo and you get multiple photos from one photo.
    at 3mp some digital zoom would be tolerable, and save you the trouble of having to crop later and bring back to the phone. Given the pixel depth of the screen, 1x zoom should not degrade image quality much.
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neopre2009 View Post
    I think the Pre camera is quite good, although I have found some of the results are slightly fuzzy .. and i never really used a zoom on a camera on a phone before , so can live without zoom.

What i would like is , not sure of the technical term but when you take a photo and you get multiple photos from one photo.
    known as panoramic or multi-shot.
    This is a waste of time.

You can zoom in in the photo app. You can even crop in the photo app when you set it as a wallpaper. What SHOULD be upgraded is the photo app, not the camera app.

When you send something as a MMS or an email from the photo app it should allow you to crop it like it does for wallpaper.

Digital zoom is worthless, now if the Pre had an optical zoom lens I would agree but obviously it does not.
  11.    #11  
    Bringing back an old thread
    Does anyone have any information on whether this will be available?
    I would like to have a zoom when taking the pics.
    My wife has the new I-phone and the zoom on her camera is pretty nice.
    Even after the pic is taken the clarity is still there
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    I think the idea here is the lens on most smartphones (Iphone including) cannot actually zoom in. What they can do is stretch the number of original pixels out so the object appears closer, but it usually degrades the resolution - the same idea as getting a 50" 720p TV is not any better resolution than getting a 32" 720p TV. Pixel Density I believe it is called.

I know it doesn't mean it can't be done, but generally things like this require quite a few folks screaming for it for a dev to put in the time to work on a fix.
    Tweet, Twit, or Tw@t? Twitter.com/bigfire

Your signature needs to be less interesting than that post you just added....and QUIT begging for people to 'Thank' you, you tool
    Try photo effects plus; It allows you to crop/zoom as well as adjust other aspects of a photo.
    To say that digital zoom is worthless is a bit of an overstatement, though probably no far from the truth with the Pre It depends on the pixel size of the original image and the optics. eg If you start with a good quality 8 megapixel image you can do some cropping and still have several megapixels, but with the Pre's 3 megapixels, not so much.