1.    #1  
    I was stunned to fined that the universal search only finds names and telephone numbers associated with listing of my contacts and not other information. Or so I was told by the Palm Pre help lady when I called.

I had and have a habit of putting down key words for a contact in either notes field or title field to help find listings when I search.

For instance my contact information currently has the name and telephone number of a restaurant. I add to either the "job title" or in the notes section the word "Chinese" so that when I invariably forget the name of the Chinese restaurant, all I need do is search “Chinese” and I will find it, or so I did with my Treo. Amazingly to me I can't do now with a universal search. Am I missing something here?

Is there an app out there to make the universal search more comprehensive?

FYI - It may be unrelated but I have been having a terrible time trying to migrate all the contact data from my PC to my Pre. Not all the data is populating in the Pre.

Thanks guys.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    If it helps the Company does show up in universal search.
  3.    #3  
    Some help j0sh but I am hoping for a way to search everything listed in all my contact fields. Is this too much to have expected?

Palm Pilot/Treo users used the device for business functions and some utilized the notes catagory. Six months later you might not remember a name or company but if you made some notes you and listed things in teh notes section like, mike's buddy or UCLA grad then on my Treo I could find the person. Or more mundane "good plumber". Two years later a friend needed a plumber. I could not find him on my phone. A search on my PC found good ol' Charlie who held the title of Plumber.

I am very disapointed that the Pre is not close to what the older Palm devices can do. The snyc function stinks too but that is for another thread. Some fun gee wiz things, ..... but come on, how come they failed to keep basic tools?
    This thread gives some excellent examples of the issue I have with not being able to do a true "Universal" search! I may have a contact entry stored in my phone of a company name or work colleague, and if I input a keyword or phrase like "Engineer" or "Ohio State University"...guess what?! Our friends at Palm kindly made it possible to bring up a screen for doing a Google search, but that is not going to help me in this scenario! You don't always remember the name of a contact or business, so the keyword search on older Palm devices made it beneficial to keep info stored for years and actual have the ability to find it later. Anyone who doesn't understand the usefulness of this feature obviously doesn't get out much (smile). I have owned several Palm devices for more than 10 years, and the loss of this capability is a true hinderance (especially) for the average business user.
    The company and nickname fields work in the universal search. Maybe you can tag your contacts in these fields. Unfortunately, the "notes" and "job title" fields are working in the universal search.

I would love to see Facebook Search added to the Universal Search as well. That would be wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurofchicago View Post
    I was stunned to fined that the universal search only finds names and telephone numbers associated with listing of my contacts and not other information. Or so I was told by the Palm Pre help lady when I called.

I had and have a habit of putting down key words for a contact in either notes field or title field to help find listings when I search.

For instance my contact information currently has the name and telephone number of a restaurant. I add to either the "job title" or in the notes section the word "Chinese" so that when I invariably forget the name of the Chinese restaurant, all I need do is search “Chinese” and I will find it, or so I did with my Treo. Amazingly to me I can't do now with a universal search. Am I missing something here?

Is there an app out there to make the universal search more comprehensive?

FYI - It may be unrelated but I have been having a terrible time trying to migrate all the contact data from my PC to my Pre. Not all the data is populating in the Pre.

Thanks guys.
    I am in the exact situation as you... each contact has a keyword which i add right after the name.. like "James - welder"

If I want to find the welder, I type "weld" and it will list all the contacts with "weld" in it...

I have 800 + contacts (still growing) and I cant remember everything....
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Thanks for the nickname field tip. Is there an automated way to copy the category field in Outlook contacts into the nickname field?