Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Ebag, you are the man! I can now get a gps fix indoors when I never could before. Fantastic!

EDIT, well, maybe it just saved my location. In airplane mode, it's still telling me that I need a data connection. I'll update in a bit.

OK, after reading a bit more, I guess that's expected (in the nav app) but ##gps# tells me my location. Very cool.
    Last edited by dirtygreek; 10/28/2009 at 04:59 PM.
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
    Any chance of a patch here?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    No, because it's not a webOS setting being changed, it's the actual settings flashed to the chip.
    Somewhat true.

There are several settings that are traditionally only changed in QPST that can be changed through the different ## options. SLI Slot, for example.

There may be a way to change it through a patch or an application, but I'm not sure how that'd be done. It'd certainly require a lot deeper of access than the SDK is going to give, and I doubt that Palm would approve it for their app store as it would use non-documented features.

Quote Originally Posted by hansmet View Post
    sorry is this is a dumb question but there are 4 ports in the USB Passthrough Control:

ACM USB PORT
    USB PORT 1
    USB PORT 2
    SERIAL PORT

Which one do i change to "Diag"?

Thanks
    You can use USB Port 1 or USB Port 2. Either one works. I will make that more clear in the steps.
  3.    #103  
    If you need to revert this change, a RTN reset (##RTN#) will reset it. It does not remove the PDE information, which would suggest that the Pre does not use it (address, port, transport, and position calculation).

Unfortunately there are many options that an RTN reset will not revert (such as if you change the volume settings, which is bad, don't change them!).
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    i am in the service programming and i do not have a gpsOne tab. any help?
  5.    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by kenfly View Post
    i am in the service programming and i do not have a gpsOne tab. any help?
    What version of QPST are you using?
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    it was 215 or something but i found a 323 to see if that fixes it. ill let you know
    [EDIT] that fixed it. but thanks for your help
  7.    #107  
    So I tested AFLT, and found it works! Sweet!

How I tested AFLT:

• In QPST disabled all modes except AFLT.
    • Powered the Pre off.
    • Powered the Pre on.
    • Launched the default GPS application via ##GPS#. (Note: At this point I am inside a building with fairly poor signal.)
    • Verified results recieved.
    • Launched Google Maps. Notice the blue circle showing the area that the accuracy is not extremely close.
    • Moved about 250 feet away. (Note: At this point I am outside the building with full signal strength.)
    • Refreshed the GPS information.
    • Verified results changed.
    • Launched Google Maps. The accuracy is basically spot on (within a few hundred feet).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    ok so how can i truly know that gps is running by itself. doesnt it do that already wthout the hack? i applied the hack to my phone. turned on airplane mode, walked outside and got a fix on gps (via ##GPS#) next i took a stock pre,my family all have pre's, turned on airplane mode, walked outside and got a fix on gps. what am i missing?
    Last edited by kenfly; 10/28/2009 at 06:31 PM.
  9.    #109  
    ok so how can i truly know that gps is running by itself. doesnt it do that already wthout the hack? i applied the hack to my phone. turned on airplane mode, walked outside and got a fix on gps (via ##GPS#) next i took a stock pre,my family all have pre's, turned on airplane mode, walked outside and got a fix on gps. what am i missing?
    The reboot after turning on airplane mode.

GPS won't work properly with airplane mode on or when you are out of range for service without the hack applied.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Because the pre can use cached data for its last GPS lookup it can show you GPS data using ##GPS#, the trick is to see if it changes as you move around. I tried this before and as i would drive around i would try hitting the get fix button and it would wait 30 seconds and never actually update the info before the fix. Another way i found to test this is with FitTrack, before the fix if you put it in airplane mode as it was running it would stop updating the GPS and at that point GPS is dead til you reset the phone even if you turn off airplane mode and close the app and use google maps for example it would only ever show a big blue circle and would never narrow down your location. After the fix i got FitTrack running and then put it in airplane mode and it was still working perfectly and ##GPS# would show me correctly updating info.

Thanks a ton for the work, i love the fix and this is going to be great when i go hiking out of cell range.
    I really want to do this...but Im nervous about bricking.

Say I was able to do the Meta-Doctor procedure, took some time and help from rwhitby, but I did it. How does this compare difficulty-wise to that procedure? Any linux experience required or is it basically all done through the pc application?
    FYI: You can get your MSL code by simply activating another phone on Sprint.com, and then switching back to the pre. The website will provide your MSL for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    FYI: You can get your MSL code by simply activating another phone on Sprint.com, and then switching back to the pre. The website will provide your MSL for you!
    Yeah, make sure that the other phone you switch to is one that's already been on the account though. I believe that otherwise you might get an activation fee of $36.
    I'm fairly certain that they don't charge to activate a new device on your account. Only problem is that I've tried doing the online activation a couple times and it spits out an error and tells me I need to dial 800-SPRINT-1. Takes a bit longer as they have to follow their st00pid script... but I've never seen an activation charge. Even if they did give you one, dialing *2 and talking to Customer Care should definitely get it taken care of without much of a hassle.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonaddis84 View Post
    Say I was able to do the Meta-Doctor procedure, took some time and help from rwhitby, but I did it. How does this compare difficulty-wise to that procedure? Any linux experience required or is it basically all done through the pc application?
    You need a Linux desktop to use Meta Doctor, right? So you must already have a Linux desktop?? If you don't have any Linux skillz by now... now is the time to get them.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    You need a Linux desktop to use Meta Doctor, right? So you must already have a Linux desktop?? If you don't have any Linux skillz by now... now is the time to get them.
    Yeah, I used Ubuntu on Vbox, but unless it clearcut tells me exactly what to type when and where I wont know what to do. So I guess Im just wondering if the instructions on the first page are clearcut, detailing every single step...or if you need to do/type things that arent in the instructions?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I have no doubt it'd be allowed. The question is whether TomTom or Garmin or any of those companies would bother with it. Let's face it, with the free Sprint Navigation on the device, there aren't going to be too many people willing to pay for a GPS program. That, combined with the much lower install base for now, means that it probably wouldn't be all that profitable for them. Maybe when GSM webOS devices get released you'll get your wish though.
    People use GPS devices for a lot more things than just getting directions while driving around. This would be useful for someone who would like to display topographical maps on their Pre for use when they are hiking. Not surprisingly, these places are often where data signals may be weak/non-existent.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    People use GPS devices for a lot more things than just getting directions while driving around. This would be useful for someone who would like to display topographical maps on their Pre for use when they are hiking. Not surprisingly, these places are often where data signals may be weak/non-existent.
    Yeah, but the person I was responding to was referring to Garmin and TomTom if I remember correctly.
    does anyone know where i can download this from? i googled it but didn't find any sites that did it. thanks
    You didnt like the third one down the page on google when you search that exact description?

ISOhunt the same description, brings up LG phone tools, its in there just download that one file out of the torrent.