Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I doubt that they'll allow their servers open to ping (due to risks of packet flooding, etc).
    Makes sense, I thought that too. However, the fact that I couldn't open a TCP session via telnet (from the phone) worries me a bit. Is PDE a UDP protocol instead? I'll have to investigate further.

The only way to test PDE is to disable every other option except PDE, and see what happens.
    Hrm... I have my doubts about this server. Still investigating.

What were your default settings?
    Same as Sprint... Only Assistance-Spherical was checked.
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermithrax View Post
    Makes sense, I thought that too. However, the fact that I couldn't open a TCP session via telnet (from the phone) worries me a bit. Is PDE a UDP protocol instead? I'll have to investigate further.
    Truth be told, I'm not sure. Even if it's a TCP session though, it may not work with telnet depending on how it's setup. I would be somewhat surprised if it was UDP.

Hrm... I have my doubts about this server. Still investigating.
    Let me know what you turn up.

Same as Sprint... Only Assistance-Spherical was checked.
    That's quite interesting. I wonder why Palm is locking these down?
    Thanks this works great. I turned on airplane mode and it still found my fix. My airrave puts me several hunderd miles away though.
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Thanks this works great. I turned on airplane mode and it still found my fix. My airrave puts me several hunderd miles away though.
    You mean with this tweak and the Air Rave it still puts you several hundred miles away?
    Yes

Edit: I reset Pre and now get a GPS error while in airplane mode. Lots of trees by my house I will try again tomorrow at work. I applied all the settings correctly so one just has to wait now.

Took son to work this morning. Turned on airplane mode, restarted Pre and get the GPS error.
    Last edited by mamouton; 10/19/2009 at 06:17 AM.
    Here are my updated Qualcomm diagnostic drivers for the Palm Pre.

These are simply an updated version of the drivers Ebag refers to in post #1. Both will work fine for the purposes of his tutorial.
    New features:
    • mpt diag,gps (the linux command) exposes GPS-NMEA port which is assigned its own COM#. I have not tested this port with gps-aware windows software, so no guarantees on how well (or if) it works.

• USBnet drivers are also included (creates RNDIS networking device, not useful for tethering without extra work on the pre)

• more flexible, works with all the various methods of entering passthru mode

-beezl
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by Thibaud View Post
    Just played a little more with the "USB Passthrough Control" menu/application (dial ##USBPASS# or ##8727277#).

Assigning "GPS" to "USB PORT 2" yields a new device in the Device manager under Windows XP, dubbed as "Serial Data" with a yellow question mark under "Other Devices"...

Unfortunately, I don't have a driver for it, at least no yet! Anybody's willing to contribute?

Could the GPS be accessed through the USB port in the end?
    I almost forgot, the primary reason I just posted my updated drivers was in response to this post. I haven't tried using the GPS port over USB myself, but now the drivers to do so are available, so let us know how that goes...
  8.    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by beezlewaxin View Post
    Here are my updated Qualcomm diagnostic drivers for the Palm Pre.

These are simply an updated version of the drivers Ebag refers to in post #1. Both will work fine for the purposes of his tutorial.
    New features:
    • mpt diag,gps (the linux command) exposes GPS-NMEA port which is assigned its own COM#. I have not tested this port with gps-aware windows software, so no guarantees on how well (or if) it works.

• USBnet drivers are also included (creates RNDIS networking device, not useful for tethering without extra work on the pre)

• more flexible, works with all the various methods of entering passthru mode

-beezl
    Quote Originally Posted by beezlewaxin View Post
    I almost forgot, the primary reason I just posted my updated drivers was in response to this post. I haven't tried using the GPS port over USB myself, but now the drivers to do so are available, so let us know how that goes...
    First post updated. I'll try it out tomorrow!

Any chance of getting a 64 bit version driver?
  9.    #89  
    No joy on either GPS or DUN.

I can get the PC to recognize the Pre as a network connection, but can't connect. The Pre does not auto assign an IP, and manually assigning a 192.168.2.XXX does not get me out.

The GPS still wants to be setup with the Diag driver. The comm port is there, but using a GPS testing software no GPS is found on that port.
    I followed all the directions, and everything worked great yesterday (really fast GPS - awesome!). Now, however, my Google Maps tells me I'm either in Minneapolis or Kansas City - except I'm in Omaha.

I did this process on my friend's Pre as well, and he has the same issue. Any thoughts as to why this would happen?

Also, Sprint Navigation tells me I have no satellite signal - I'm indoors, but right next to 3-story windows... Any help would be much appreciated!
    Any chance of getting a 64 bit version driver?
    +50 billion! I don't know enough about drivers yet but the little I did try, it wasn't as easy as just signing them. If a 64 bit version was created, I could really start messing up my Pre!
    Wow, finally got around to doing this (read: worked up the stones to mess around with QPST ).

I didn't use the AFLT modes because even if the Pre did support that I'd rather not use it anyway, but followed everything else exactly. After a couple of attempts at the passthrough mode setup screen since QPST kept showing "no phone", worked perfectly.

Did a soft reset, turned on airplane mode, opened ##gps#, got an error. Moved closer to the window, another error. Held it up to the upper portion of the glass, this time I got a fix. So the standalone definitely appears to be working. Turned off airplane mode and did a soft reset again, then went into Sprint Navigation, and was shocked to see that as soon as I picked a location, that it had literally instantly gotten a fix, indoors. I'm used to around 20-30 seconds, but this time it didn't even show finding location or whatever, just jumped directly to getting route. So, I guess my question is, does the cached data persist after a soft reset, or is it really just that fast?

There are a couple of basic steps missing, but people who are doing something this dangerous should be able to figure them out on their own. Like, you have to click the ports tab to get "add new port", and then I also had to uncheck the only show diag ports box or something along those lines.
  13.    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by Socrguru View Post
    I followed all the directions, and everything worked great yesterday (really fast GPS - awesome!). Now, however, my Google Maps tells me I'm either in Minneapolis or Kansas City - except I'm in Omaha.

I did this process on my friend's Pre as well, and he has the same issue. Any thoughts as to why this would happen?

Also, Sprint Navigation tells me I have no satellite signal - I'm indoors, but right next to 3-story windows... Any help would be much appreciated!
    Do you have WiFi on when you're trying to use GPS?

Several people have reported with WiFi on and GPS enabled, they get their position quite a bit away from where they are actually located.

Just because you're next to the windows may not be good enough. You need line of sight to at least 4 sats. If you're surrounded by a building you may only have line of sight to a couple of sats.
    No WiFi connection. It was apparently the not-being-outside part. I stepped outside and was able to watch myself walk from the building to the street - incredibly accurate!

Thanks for figuring this all out, Ebag. This is awesome

It seems to me that the default position for my Google Maps (and Sprint Navigation) is Minneapolis or Kansas City (when I can't get a GPS fix). Any idea why it's these two cities (not important, just curious)?
  15.    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by Socrguru View Post
    It seems to me that the default position for my Google Maps (and Sprint Navigation) is Minneapolis or Kansas City (when I can't get a GPS fix). Any idea why it's these two cities (not important, just curious)?
    No clue, that's very odd to say the least.
    This is amazing. I can't wait to get my Pre.
    Any chance of a patch here?
    No, because it's not a webOS setting being changed, it's the actual settings flashed to the chip.
    sorry is this is a dumb question but there are 4 ports in the USB Passthrough Control:

ACM USB PORT
    USB PORT 1
    USB PORT 2
    SERIAL PORT

Which one do i change to "Diag"?

Thanks
    sorry is this is a dumb question but there are 4 ports in the USB Passthrough Control:

ACM USB PORT
    USB PORT 1
    USB PORT 2
    SERIAL PORT

Which one do i change to "Diag"?

Thanks
    I changed USB Port 1 and it worked for me.
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast