Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2025262728293031 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    does anyone have the stock settings from a verizon pre2 -- are they the same as the first post? i forgot to note them prior to injecting the ones shown and want to check for improvement.

thanks
    Rob
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Oops, wrong thread.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I'm looking for how to find the SPC/MSL on a Verizon Palm Pixi Plus. I searched the forums but couldn't figure it out. Can someone point me in the right direction?
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I'm not sure but isn't the MSL on Verizon phones 000000?
    Perhaps someone can confirm?
    Yes, the MSL on all Verizon phones is 000000.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    This works for Windows 7 64 bit as well (though i think you must have Professional to get XP mode to work). No problems whatsoever.
    good to hear, but I think this means I'm on hold for awhile, my e7500 cpu doesn't support XP mode or something and I'm currently running win7Home Premium.

gonna have to reinstall XP for a dualboot to get this to work unless someone has win7x64 drivers?
    Just wanted to add an update on this:
    I had done this procedure on my 1.4.5 Pre+ for VZW back in January or February.

I upgraded to 2.1 a couple of weeks ago, but wasn't sure if this had stuck or not (since the 2.1 process also flashes new radio firmware).

I just confirmed that this change did stick, i didn't need to re-enable any of the additional options. Not sure i this is because the new firmware included them by default, or just because they stuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Both actually.
    So if I just upgraded to 2.1, flashing this won't do anything?

Basically, I had the regular "open VZ Nav to use GPS" problem on 1.4.5., but ever since I upgraded to 2.1, I just can't get any kind of GPS lock at ALL. Tried compiling the Meta-Doctor on Windows and OSX, still no GPS. Left VZ Nav out of the 2.1 Doctor JAR, still no GPS. I just have no idea what's going wrong.

I'm hoping if I flash this, I'll get something. Thoughts?
    Did the hack, tried both Verizon servers, no dice.

I think my problem isn't the GPS, it's the software—even with just Google Services on, I can't get a network location (unless on wifi).

Thanks, though.
    These tricks work great for me - my Verizon Pre+ is semi-usable with GPS and Google Maps now for a few weeks.

Is Ebag333 still around? I have a few thoughts.

1. I appreciate that the almanac allows the Pre+ to store the predicted future positions of the satellites, and find them faster in the future (even without the non-help of Verizon's aGPS). But, last week, I turned my GPS off (I wanted to depend entirely on Google wifi location services to save battery).

When I turned it back on, it took a day before I was able to consistently get GPS locks again. Does turning off GPS in Location Services erase the almanac? After letting Google Maps grind for a while that day, I was able to get fixes regularly again.

2. My guess is that the almanac doesn't always work perfectly; sometimes my Pre+ gets fixes very fast, sometimes it takes a minute or so. If the Pre+ is taking a while (I'm assuming it falls back to Autonomous if the Alamanc doesn't work), I can watch the battery drain before my eyes (nearly 2% a minute) and the phone starts to get very warm.

Here is my thought: would it be better to use your Palm for a few days until you get regular fixes (and hence ensure the Almanac is working), and then turn off Autonomous mode?

(All of the following assumes Verizon's aGPS is still a no-go.) This would mean that the Palm phone would use low-power AFLT until it could acquire a fix from the Almanac, and theoretically it wouldn't use Autonomous to brute-force calculate the satellite fixes at all.

This depends on a few things.

- Does Almanac require Autonomous to be enabled to acquire the satellites? (That is, with a working Almanac, can the GPS acquire a satellite fix, or does the Almanac-lookup also require Autonomous to be enabled?)
    - How long is the Almanac valid? (I can't remember where I read - maybe somewhere in this thread - that the Almanac stores predictive coordinates for the next two weeks).

Assuming this worked at all, this would mean that as long as you used the GPS at least once every two weeks, you could enjoy faster fixes -and- not waste any battery with Autonomous calculations during the times when the satellites are unavailable.

Of course, if you went two weeks, then you would have to re-enable the Autonomous mode to acquire a new fix. (Unless you get lucky and Verizon lets a little aGPS data through to your Pre).
    Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I have a Sprint FrakenPre 2. I've followed the instructions and used QPST. I tried to test stand alone GPS by turning on airplane mode powering off and on but no GPS fix. Went to the rooftop of my building which is unobstructed (see pic) and waited for 5 minutes still no fix. It was a bit cloudy so I tried again when it cleared up a bit (coincidentally just as military copters for Obama were buzzing overhead).

I went back to QPST to make sure the settings stuck and sure enough they are still there and it asked for my MSL code and shows the correct information from my phone.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deesugar; 04/20/2011 at 07:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I have a Sprint FrakenPre 2. I've followed the instructions and used QPST. I tried to test stand alone GPS by turning on airplane mode powering off and on but no GPS fix. Went to the rooftop of my building which is unobstructed (see pic) and waited for 5 minutes still no fix. It was a bit cloudy so I tried again when it cleared up a bit (coincidentally just as military copters for Obama were buzzing overhead).

I went back to QPST to make sure the settings stuck and sure enough they are still there and it asked for my MSL code and shows the correct information from my phone.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Nice you live in San Francisco?
    Gustavo Guillen
    Cinnabar Corporation - Cinnabar Custom Computers - Cinnabar Computer Repairs
    Sprint Palm Pre August 2009 - July 2011
    HP TouchPad 32GB Since July 2011
    Sprint HTC EVO 3D Since July 2011

My contributions to PreCentral:
    INCREASE The SPEED of your EVDO Connection!
    @deesugar: I did the QPST fix last week and it worked right after, but didn't work today.

Try clearing your location data.

Something I've tried that works is turn Google Services on, Get Fix, turn Google Services off, Clear My Location Data, Get Fix. It could be that the Google Services switch isn't needed. The GPS Fix app in the catalog (I undertand only for VZW users) *seems* to work better than the built-in phone GPS Fix app (##477#), but it could just be consequential.

I verified things work by going into airplane mode and using the Minimap app to show GPS accuracy and watch as it frequently adjusts. The GPS Info app in the catalog also tracks the accuracy well.
    Last edited by determinedd; 04/21/2011 at 03:32 PM.
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I like it your post determinedd. its very helpfully
    "Welcome In My World and Smille"
    Quote Originally Posted by determinedd View Post
    @deesugar: I did the QPST fix last week and it worked right after, but didn't work today.

Try clearing your location data.

Something I've tried that works is turn location services on, get fix, turn location services off, clear location data, get fix. It could be the the location services switch isn't needed. The GPS Fix app *seems* to work better than the phone GPS app, but it could just be consequential.

I verified things work by going to airplane mode and using the Minimap app to show GPS accuracy and watch as it frequently adjusts.
    There is a bit of confusion I have with your post, so I'll need some clarification:
    • "Location Services" is a system app. Do you mean "Google Services"? (see pic)
    • I assume you mean to have both GPS and Google Services on in the first step? (see pic)
    • GPS Fix app is meant for Verizon and there is no 2.1 version.

Steps I Took with Results:
    1. I tried to get just a GPS fix and couldn't get a fix
    2. With GPS already turned on, I activated Google Services and got a fix
    3. Cleared GPS data in Location Services and turned off Google Services and got a fix
    4. Restarted and got a fix
    5. Cleared data put device in Airplane mode. Powered off/on couldn't get a fix
    6. Turned off Airplane mode with phone, WiFi and GPS on, couldn't get a fix

So I'm back at square one which is stand alone GPS does not work....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deesugar; 04/21/2011 at 02:56 PM.
    There is a bit of confusion I have with your post, so I'll need some clarification:
    • "Location Services" is a system app. Do you mean "Google Services"? (see pic)
    • I assume you mean to have both GPS and Google Services on in the first step? (see pic)
    • GPS Fix app is meant for Verizon and there is no 2.1 version.
    Ah, correct on both. Yes, I meant "Google Services" and indeed GPS Fix is meant to work with VZ Navigator.

From what I read
    • You successfully got a fix with GPS on, Google Services off and Wifi/WAN connection
    • You were unsuccessful getting a fix with GPS on and Airplane Mode after power cycle

I have yet to power cycle so I'll try a few scenarios. In the meantime, when you reboot in airplane mode, if it comes back up in airplane mode did you try turning airplane mode off then get fix? I'm far from an expert in this area, but wondering if it needs to connect to the network after a reboot before a GPS fix will work.
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    when you reboot in airplane mode, if it comes back up in airplane mode did you try turning airplane mode off then get fix?
    My list is chronological and yes I tried that in step 6 and was not able to get a fix. Came up with GPS error.

I'm wondering if it needs to connect to the network after a reboot before a GPS fix will work.
    It shouldn't, that's the point of Autonomous GPS.

I wonder if I am the only one having these problems???
    I wonder if I am the only one having these problems???
    What are the various locations you've tried? I'm trying in the area I work, which is 25 miles from my home and I have yet to get a fix.

Scratch that...took 45 mins and got high accuracy.
    Last edited by determinedd; 04/21/2011 at 06:49 PM.
    What are the various locations you've tried? I'm trying in the area I work, which is 25 miles from my home and I have yet to get a fix.

Scratch that...took 45 mins and got high accuracy.
    It took your Pre 45mins to get a GPS signal?!?
    It took your Pre 45mins to get a GPS signal?!?
    I'll chalk it up to bad reception. I work around lots of buildings and guess I just had to find a good spot.
    My AT&T Pre+ can't lock at all. I've tried to change the GPS1 Capabilities to 0xFF. But still can't lock.

Any suggestion ??