Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    hmm

I am getting the following error

C:\Program Files\Palm\SDK\bin>novacom -t open tty://
    root@castle:/# mpt 0d
    mpt 0d
    novacomd socket was closed prematurely
    novacom: unexpected EOF from server
    That's exactly what you want. You've put it into the mode it needs to be in. Now install the drivers and open up QPST.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoffman View Post
    Where do these changes get stored? Would they be wiped out by a WebOS update or by a WebOS Doctor wipe?
    Well....I'm ashamed to admit it but I bricked my Pre shortly after doing this mod. Was messing around with the CPU Scalers.

Got it into USB mode, ran WebOS Doctor, upgraded back to 1.2.1, and checked my changes. They stuck, so I'd say from first hand experience that you're good to go.

That's not to say that Palm can't change these from within the OS. You can change your SCI, for instance, so it's possible that a future update could reset them.

Okay, first time when I ran the "mpt 0d" , I was forced to install the drivers. Which I did by pointing the location.

Now the command "mpt 0d" is shutting the novacom.
    As a result the data port is dead on the phone.

I can make calls , but no internet.
    I did disable and enable dev mode just to see if there is anything that gets flushed out.
    Nope.

I did noticed the novacom module die in the device manager of my windows after the "mpt 0d" command.

I have to tell you , I have preware install virtual keyboard.

Apart from Preware and Filecoaster the phone has no hacks ( Tethering , LED glow .... etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    That's exactly what you want. You've put it into the mode it needs to be in. Now install the drivers and open up QPST.
    x2

You're where you need to be, and sounds like you've even installed the drivers. Launch QPST and add the comm ports.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Yup I did install the drivers , but I don't see a SURF6800-65 port.
    That is exactly my problem.
    I am stuck right there.
    I am using QTSP 2.7 version 264.
  4.    #44  
    Did you add the ports?

A screenshot of what you see in QPST may help.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    okay finally reinstalled the QTSP .
    (I have to uninstall first).

Sweet , just did the changes.
    Soft reset is in progress.
  6.    #46  
    So did it work?
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Yup, it did , thanks.

As you said , we need a standalone app to test the GPS with airplane mode on.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Yup, it did , thanks.

As you said , we need a standalone app to test the GPS with airplane mode on.
    No you don't. Go into dialer and dial ##GPS#, you can see it refresh without any cell service. I didn't try it in airplane before the tweak though...
    Besides, we already have standalone GPS apps like findMycar and others.
    Does this mean that someone like TomTom can write a webOS version of their navigation softare, have the map data (which can be a couple gigs) stored on the /media/interal/ drive (USB drive) and you'll be able to use TomTom's software in, for example, Europe, where you have no CDMA signal (and in some situations, no WIFI)??

You think Palm and Sprint will allow this sort of thing for Sprint customers like me who travel to europe and at least want GPS navigation?
    Quote Originally Posted by KnoxBNYC View Post
    Does this mean that someone like TomTom can write a webOS version of their navigation softare, have the map data (which can be a couple gigs) stored on the /media/interal/ drive (USB drive) and you'll be able to use TomTom's software in, for example, Europe, where you have no CDMA signal (and in some situations, no WIFI)??

You think Palm and Sprint will allow this sort of thing for Sprint customers like me who travel to europe and at least want GPS navigation?
    I have no doubt it'd be allowed. The question is whether TomTom or Garmin or any of those companies would bother with it. Let's face it, with the free Sprint Navigation on the device, there aren't going to be too many people willing to pay for a GPS program. That, combined with the much lower install base for now, means that it probably wouldn't be all that profitable for them. Maybe when GSM webOS devices get released you'll get your wish though.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Let's face it, with the free Sprint Navigation on the device, there aren't going to be too many people willing to pay for a GPS program.
    You could say this about the standalone GPS devices too. How many people buy the software opposed to getting a hardware unit? I don't have numbers, but I'd imagine it'd be a lot. As long as there's a market, and all other things being equal, there's a decent chance this would happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Well....I'm ashamed to admit it but I bricked my Pre shortly after doing this mod. Was messing around with the CPU Scalers.

Got it into USB mode, ran WebOS Doctor, upgraded back to 1.2.1, and checked my changes. They stuck, so I'd say from first hand experience that you're good to go.

So is it even possible to brick your phone even while using QPST to mess with things? I mean, worst case it sounds like all you will have to do is run WebOSDoctor and you can get your phone up and running. Is this correct? So far I have not seen one case of someone truly bricking their phone.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    So is it even possible to brick your phone even while using QPST to mess with things? I mean, worst case it sounds like all you will have to do is run WebOSDoctor and you can get your phone up and running. Is this correct? So far I have not seen one case of someone truly bricking their phone.
    Yes, you can. Just because WebOS (and the Doctor) CAN make changes to things QPST controls, doesn't mean it DOES. If you overwrite a setting that WebOSDoctor doesn't mess with, you could be screwed.
    I have not had good luck with this tweak so far. I consistently receive "Current location cannot be found" message when I try to launch a map in Sprint Nav. It fails to acquire my location more often than not. When it does acquire the satellite, it is quick. This happens at many locations. I'm thinking about removing the tweak.
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    WebOSDoctor does not effect the settings done by QPST currently (at least not that I've seen).

Most of the QPST settings can be fixed by re-provisioning your phone, but not all of them can.

webOS can change settings traditionally only changed by QPST (such as the SCI), but many of the settings are not touched. I haven't actually tried to brick my phone, mind you, but I'm sure that you could render it inoperable. It's certainly feasible to mess it up enough that webOS works fine, but you cannot make calls out on it.

Quote Originally Posted by rudedog830 View Post
    I have not had good luck with this tweak so far. I consistently receive "Current location cannot be found" message when I try to launch a map in Sprint Nav. It fails to acquire my location more often than not. When it does acquire the satellite, it is quick. This happens at many locations. I'm thinking about removing the tweak.
    Try unchecking the AFLT and GPS/AFLT Hybrid modes.

I haven't had any issues with Sprint Nav at all, but I don't use it nearly as often as Google Maps.
    <<moved to "Palm Pre Tips, Information, and Resources">>

Thanks for your work on this Ebag.
    Just call me Berd.
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    <<moved to "Palm Pre Tips, Information, and Resources">>

Thanks for your work on this Ebag.
    Gracias, Jefe.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Great stuff. I'll try this soon.
    I'm curious if there's been any changes in battery usage with GPS on.
    Just contemplating why Sprint would have chosen not to enable this
    in the first place.

ian
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Great stuff. I'll try this soon.
    I'm curious if there's been any changes in battery usage with GPS on.
    Just contemplating why Sprint would have chosen not to enable this
    in the first place.

ian
    Good question.

I would imagine since the acquisition is faster that there should be a slight increase in battery life, but I doubt it's much. (If the GPS only needs to run 5 seconds instead of 30+ seconds to find you, that's gotta save batter life, right? )

I noticed a big jump in battery life, but I did this, adjusted the SCI, and had webOS 2.0 hit all right around the same time. I don't use GPS tons, so I'm pretty sure that wasn't a factor (I'm chalking most of it up to 2.0, with a good portion due to the SCI).
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678 13 ... LastLast