Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1722232425262728293031 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    I have installed the usb passthrough patch on Sprint Palm Pre 1.4.5. I can change port 1 to diag. However, I do not get the following requests:

# You will be prompted for your MSL. Thanks to Thibaud for his sharp eyes in spotting this!
    # You should be prompted for several (two) hardware installs.

The USB port has become unresponsive to novaterm when it is in diag mode. Are these steps necessary???
    Quote Originally Posted by mhacker View Post
    I have installed the usb passthrough patch on Sprint Palm Pre 1.4.5. I can change port 1 to diag. However, I do not get the following requests:

# You will be prompted for your MSL. Thanks to Thibaud for his sharp eyes in spotting this!
    # You should be prompted for several (two) hardware installs.

The USB port has become unresponsive to novaterm when it is in diag mode. Are these steps necessary???
    I just tried this yesterday and was not prompted for my MSL when switching the port to diag mode so I would not worry about that note. I was able to install the Beezlewaxin drivers after making the modification to the qcmdm.inf and qcser.inf files described here http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2055055

I would expect your USB port will not work properly when in DIAG mode. You should set the USB port back to NONE when you are finished to get it working normally again.

I suspect setting the USB port to DIAG mode allows the Qualcomm diagnostic utilities to get access to the internals of the chips which would normally be inaccessible when the USB port is in it's normal state exposing the internal Flash storage.
    On an unrelated note, I was able to successfully execute the instructions from ebag333. What a fantastic write-up!! Thank you so much for providing this information.

So far, the GPS works amazingly well and I have seen no negative side-effects anywhere else on the phone. My accurate location now seems to be available before apps even finish starting up. I tried with both Google Maps and Where (which used to be horrible at getting an accurate location fix) and they both worked great.

I can't believe Palm does not configure the GPS this way out of the box, though given the horror show with the Verizon Pre Plus, I suspect they are forced to cripple the GPS hardware to enable the carriers to control its usage.

I have a Sprint Pre so I always had working GPS. However, I have some friends that have the Verizon Pre Plus and their GPS is almost completely non-functional. If I can get them to trust me that I won't brick their phone (famous last words), I'm going to try this out on their phones to see if it fixes their GPS issues. I would think it should work as the additional modes allow the GPS hardware to get a fix without needing aGPS which is what Verizon seems to be locking down. Stay tuned...
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Now I'm confused. Do you need the MSL or not? If so, how did everyone in this thread get theirs?
    You need the MSL to reprogram the GPS settings through QPST. You don't need the MSL, or at least I did not, to set your USB port to DIAG mode.

If you are asking about how to get the MSL, the easiest way apparently, is to ask your carrier for it. People have said all Verizon phones have their MSL set to 000000. I can't confirm this since I have a Sprint Pre. If you still feel the need to get the MSL on your own, I found this thread pretty useful.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ering-dun.html
    Moving on the QPST. I have downloaded version 2.7.0.323. I am running Windows 7 and put the files in system(x86). I have also downloaded the Beezlewaxin files and put them in thier own directory. Made the modification as outlined in the above link.

Here is where I am having problems. QPST starts fine. I see COM1 and COM2 in a waiting state. I click on Add New Port and I see COM3-serial and COM4-serial. I unclick the check box for Show serial and USB/QC Diagnostic Port. There isn't a Diagnostic Port listed.

Done something wrong. Any ideas. I did uninstall and reinstall QPST.

Additional thought is that I am running Palm Pre OS v. 1.4.5.

Got it to work: Had to reload the drivers.
    Last edited by mhacker; 09/28/2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Fixed the Issue
    Using a Verizon Palm Pre Plus, I followed the instructions to the letter on the original post. I can get a quick and accurate GPS signal without the need of VZNav. However, my battery life gets sucked dry QUICK. I turned off the USB mode, as well as the Dev mode, and it continues to suck the battery dry. Once I turned off the GPS, battery life returns to normal. Unfortunately, I can't get the GPS working again if I turn it on, unless I restart the phone. Were there other settings I should have looked at? My trade off now is good GPS + bad battery life, or restart the phone every time I want to use the GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    You need to disable DIAG mode.
    DEV mode is optional.
    Yes, DIAG mode has been turned off (that's what I meant by turned off USB mode, my appologies).
    I did, several times before posting. I even turned it on then off again just to be sure. My guess is that it is something else.
    I was about to do this hack...when...

I've just traveled to Canada on vacation from Seattle. I've always had terrible GPS problems with my Pre Plus on Verizon (suprise, haha). As soon as I crossed the boarder, GPS worked perfectly. I am using Navit. Since Navit does not require cell cervice/data/wifi (uses maps previosly downloaded and stored on your phone), I can use it with just GPS on and nothing else....big bonus when travling outside the US.

Why the hell does my pre plus GPS work in Canada and not in the States?
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    Did you try restarting your phone? When I wrote the setting in my phone I noticed all my radio restarted so a restart should fix it. If not then you might have changed another setting in QPST that you should not have, because changing GPS setting should not have affected your other radios.

You type it in the phone dialer app. But you dont need to this just launcher your default GPS app. You can just Open Sprint Nav normally and test it out.
    I guess I'm doing something wrong but I just don't know what. Did the instructions on the first page just to check if all the check boxes in the GPSOne tabe in QPST are selected. And they are(just changed the default one from gray out to checked but according to ebag333 it's the same) but I still get the gps error in the dailer and none of my gps enabled apps seems to be able to get a fix. Is there a log somewhere on the phone that I can look and troubleshoot the problem?
    I'm on Sprint webos 1.4.5.
    The only thing I didn't do is hardware restart(I'm desperate so I'll pull my battery and try this as well)... well did it but it didn't help

I get all different errors from my gps enabled apps that range from can't get gps fix or request timeout. The only one that have an error code is Where is my car but I guess it's internal error code for the app. Anyway the error code is 1.

Did quick hardware tests and got error code 1000 on the modem. Not sure what does it mean. Any ideas?
    Last edited by BoRn; 09/30/2010 at 05:34 AM.
    I have got to say this fix made having the GPS feature in the Palm Pre worth having. Access time and accuracy are greatly improved.

Question, Why would Sprint not want to turn these features on? Is there some legal problem with doing this? It sounds like Verizon did the same thing. Just curious:-)
    I beleive I fixed my issues. I had the Verzion aGPS patch installed. Also, I changed to the Verizon Alternate info in the beginning of the thread. Lastly, I did a full shut down and removed the battery for 5 minutes. So far so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhacker View Post
    Question, Why would Sprint not want to turn these features on? Is there some legal problem with doing this? It sounds like Verizon did the same thing. Just curious:-)
    Umm... they want you on a contract??

That's why the phones MUST have a network connection in order to get past the First Use screen... unless of course, you use the Meta-Doctor.
  15. iDG
    For the GSM pre you can change the NV item directly on the device (it is possible to do the same thing on the CDMA Pre, but I can't test) using only PmModemUpdater without need for special software - this is especially useful if you don't have access to a windows machine.

Copy the attached text file to your Pre (via USB drive mode), connect with novaterm and type:

Code:
    PmModemUpdater -r /media/internal/item.txt
    You will see something like this:

Code:
    Pass-through disabled
    $ Passthrough Disabled!.
    $ Disable handshaking in ROM
    $ Probing modem.............
    *   	Modem Firmware Info                 *
    * COMP DATE     = Mar 11 201019:36:0503/11/2010      
    * REL  DATE     = 03/11/2010      
    * HW VERSION    = 100D00E1    
    * MOB MODEL     = BA    
    * RADIO TYPE    = UMTS   
    * DEVICE TYPE    = CASTLE   
    * EX BUILD ID   = CU0.5.33(247)     
    $ EVT3 or later device found, no need to config charging!
    $ Finished detecting Modem!
    $ Restore the NV items to the modem ...............
    $  Restoring NV item : 0400
     === Restore 1 NV Items  Completely ===
    $ Writing User NV Items  File completed!
    $ NV restore Success!
    $ Enable handshaking in ROM  Enable handshaking in ROM 
    $ Please wait while restoring TIL/WAN.....
    (51440/220782264) powerd (start) waiting
    (51440/221789344) powerd (start) starting
    (51440/223223670) powerd (start) pre-start, process 15788
    (51440/249011023) powerd (start) spawned, process 15791
    (51440/250781043) powerd (start) post-start, (main) process 15791
    (51440/252093299) powerd (start) running, process 15791
    $ powerd Restored successfully!
    (51440/336382849) TelephonyInterfaceLayer (start) waiting
    (51440/337512000) TelephonyInterfaceLayer (start) starting
    (51440/338061316) TelephonyInterfaceLayer (start) pre-start
    (51440/338580115) TelephonyInterfaceLayer (start) spawned, process 15795
    (51440/339159949) TelephonyInterfaceLayer (start) post-start, (main) process 15795
    (51440/339709266) TelephonyInterfaceLayer (start) running, process 15795
    $ TIL Restored successfully!
    (51442/393603308) PmWanDaemon (start) waiting
    (51442/394610389) PmWanDaemon (start) starting
    (51442/395922644) PmWanDaemon (start) pre-start
    (51442/397356971) PmWanDaemon (start) spawned, process 15812
    (51442/397997840) PmWanDaemon (start) post-start, (main) process 15812
    (51442/398699744) PmWanDaemon (start) running, process 15812
    $ PmWanDaemon Restored successfully!
    $ Your device is ready for use.
    That's it . Reboot your Pre and enjoy.

NOTE: The file contained the wrong item number. Now it is fixes.
    NOTE2: You need to use an interactive shell (either novaterm, ssh or the "Terminal" application), otherwise the PmModemUpdate will try to update the modem firmware. Nothing bad will actually happen but the process will fail.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by iDG; 10/18/2010 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Clarifications
    Quote Originally Posted by iDG View Post
    For the GSM pre you can change the NV item directly on the device (it is possible to do the same thing on the CDMA Pre, but I can't test) using only PmModemUpdater without need for special software - this is especially useful if you don't have access to a windows machine.

Copy the attached text file to your Pre (via USB drive mode), connect with novaterm and type:

Code:
    Worked perfectly! GPS fix is now faster even in airplane mode.

Copy the attached text file to your Pre (via USB drive mode), connect with novaterm...
    That file states" !!!This File is for Castle(GSM/UMTS) Modem Firmware releases only !!" What file do we need to test on a CDMA Pre?
  18. iDG
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    That file states" !!!This File is for Castle(GSM/UMTS) Modem Firmware releases only !!" What file do we need to test on a CDMA Pre?
    As far as I know, the NV ITEM number for the GPS1 capabilities is the same for CDMA and UMTS. The file only changes item 400 (it does not enable the custom PDE server settings), so it should work. You should use the Qualcomm tool to record the original value of item 0400, so you can put it back if it does not work.
    I ran the script via WOSQI command line and got the following:

(19888/702585331) powerd (stop) running, process 1262
    (19888/703043095) powerd (stop) pre-stop, (main) process 1262
    (19888/703348270) powerd (stop) stopping, process 1262
    (19888/726053349) powerd (stop) killed, process 1262
    (19888/726297489) powerd (stop) post-stop
    (19888/726511112) powerd (stop) waiting
    (19888/960886112) PmWanDaemon (stop) running, process 1191
    (19888/961343876) PmWanDaemon (stop) pre-stop, (main) process 1191
    (19888/961649052) PmWanDaemon (stop) stopping, process 1191
    (19889/7028690) PmWanDaemon (stop) killed, process 1191
    (19891/214731327) PmWanDaemon (stop) post-stop
    (19891/214975468) PmWanDaemon (stop) waiting
    (19891/269571415) TelephonyInterfaceLayer (stop) running, process 1326
    (19891/270181766) TelephonyInterfaceLayer (stop) pre-stop, (main) process 1326
    (19891/270517460) TelephonyInterfaceLayer (stop) stopping, process 1326
    (19891/274820438) TelephonyInterfaceLayer (stop) killed, process 1326
    (19891/275064579) TelephonyInterfaceLayer (stop) post-stop
    (19891/275308720) TelephonyInterfaceLayer (stop) waiting
    Pass-through disabled
    $ Modem is powered-on
    Warning! Please make sure you have a healthy battery or using a power supply before you do your update
    Warning! You can potentially trashed your modem firmware if system lost the power in the middle of updating firmware
    Warning! To Stop it now, ctrl+c
    root@palm-webos-device:

Hard to tell if it worked or not. Any suggestions?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I reran the script thru Novaterm and got results which match what was expected.

See attached.

Thanks
    Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)