Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 152021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Sounds like a battery problem.

Got a new battery and it's doing the same thing.

Does your "enable aGPS" patch keep the VZNavigatorServ processes persistant? I tried to kill that process and it keeps coming back.

The only other thing I can think of is I installed and removed the HTTP server to see what it was about and it didn't fully uninstall. Something is running on my phone that's kill the battery. I have a ton of connections according to Netstat and PS -A shows a bunch of programs outside of the normal Daemons.
  2.    #482  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    ebag333 what is the difference in mobile and pde under position calculation?
    Different carriers use different methods. The main point is that it doesn't really matter, as the carrier uses one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    Got a new battery and it's doing the same thing.

Does your "enable aGPS" patch keep the VZNavigatorServ processes persistant? I tried to kill that process and it keeps coming back.

The only other thing I can think of is I installed and removed the HTTP server to see what it was about and it didn't fully uninstall. Something is running on my phone that's kill the battery. I have a ton of connections according to Netstat and PS -A shows a bunch of programs outside of the normal Daemons.
    Interesting.

The aGPS patch only adds Verizon's server (and port) to the GPS call. That's basically half of what you need to keep GPS working on Verizon, the other half is the Verizon Navigator service. That's why the aGPS patch works for some people but not others, if the service is running then it helps. If it's not, then it doesn't.

The aGPS patch doesn't touch the service (it can't), so that would not cause your battery drain.

Sounds like it's time to doctor your phone.
    Sounds like it's time to doctor your phone.
    Done, now it's time to add Preware patches and programs a few at a time to find out what's causing it. The battery is only down 20% instead of 80% after all day of using GPS and Google Maps so it's looking good! I'll report back if I find any anomalies with your stuff which I'll install before anything else.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 07/31/2010 at 09:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    Done, now it's time to add Preware patches and programs a few at a time to find out what's causing it. The battery is only down 20% instead of 80% after all day of using GPS and Google Maps so it's looking good! I'll report back if I find any anomalies with your stuff which I'll install before anything else.
    I'm getting a quick battery drain also. I installed Ebag's crack 2 weeks ago, and noticed the quick drain shortly after that. I hadn't added any other patches at the time or since then, except a patch to turn off GPS from the phone menu. I started running GPS yesterday with battery at 100% and about 5 hours later the battery was dead. The other problem is even with the GPS off, the battery still drains at atleast 10% per hour. As I'm writing this, my battery went from 100% to 96% in about 15 minutes. Anyone know of an app that can detect what service/process is using? Thanks!

Also, is Porkfat using an after market extended battery or something. Most Pre users that I know will see 20% battery drain all day on their phone when it's just sitting there doing nothing. GPS or data usage all day usually results in almost a 100% drain, if by all day we're talking about 8 hours...
    Last edited by mikeweb66; 08/09/2010 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Question
  5.    #485  
    If you use terminal, you can use the command "ps" to see what's running.
    If you use terminal, you can use the command "ps" to see what's running.
    OK, so here's what I've tried and seen over the last week or so:

I’m still struggling with this thing. I’ve come to a couple of conclusions: first, when the GPS is working great, the battery drain is 2 to 3 times quicker, even when I’m not using GPS – about 10-12% per hour when the phone is just doing nothing (this I later attributed to shutting down USB passthrough without disabling it first, as someone else had done here). Or secondly, when the battery drain is normal, the GPS works horribly. I did that crack to turn on all the other GPS methods, but still I get the error in Fitrack that the “GPS has returned an error” and it doesn’t track or it just stops tracking with no error.

OK, so I did another bicycle ride today – that’s what I use this thing for – and after about 2 hours 20 minutes of tracking, the battery had gone from about 100% down to 23%. So in 2 and a half total hours, the battery drained almost 80%. Fitrack polls GPS every second, I can understand that if the GPS is being polled every second, and many of the GPS methods use cell tower communication, then naturally that's going to be a lot of data usage.

I strongly believe that this must be due to heavy data usage. I’ve tried initializing fitrack then switching into airplane mode to eliminate data usage, and only use GPS. Fitrack doesn’t give any errors, but it just doesn’t track – mileage stays at 0. I think next, using that GPS crack, I’ll turn off the GPS methods that use data (Assisted Spherical/Cartesian, AFLT and AFLT/GPS Hybrid) and try it again. I’m also going to try using Jason Robitaille’s data on/off hack in device menu, then enable Fitrack and turn data off, instead of airplane mode… maybe airplane mode also shuts off the GPS…

Before all of this I also Doctored the phone and rebuilt it.
  7.    #487  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeweb66 View Post
    I did that crack to turn on all the other GPS methods, but still I get the error in Fitrack that the “GPS has returned an error” and it doesn’t track or it just stops tracking with no error.
    Which crack are you referring to, the one in the first post?

OK, so I did another bicycle ride today – that’s what I use this thing for – and after about 2 hours 20 minutes of tracking, the battery had gone from about 100% down to 23%. So in 2 and a half total hours, the battery drained almost 80%. Fitrack polls GPS every second, I can understand that if the GPS is being polled every second, and many of the GPS methods use cell tower communication, then naturally that's going to be a lot of data usage.
    GPS being hit every second is a huge power drain. Not just on the GPS side, but on the processing side as the CPU is active to process the data incoming from GPS. An 80% drain in two and a half hours is excessive, I would try doing the routine with a different application (say Google Maps) and see if the drain is similar. If it is, then there's something wrong.

That being said, I definitely notice a much larger power drain when using GPS heavily. If I'm just getting the occasional position fix, then no big deal. But if I have Google Maps up, or another tracking application, the drain is quite heavy. I wouldn't say 80% in two hours, but maybe 30%-40% every two hours (depending on how much I have the screen on, etc).

I’ve tried initializing fitrack then switching into airplane mode to eliminate data usage, and only use GPS. Fitrack doesn’t give any errors, but it just doesn’t track – mileage stays at 0.
    I'm pretty sure that airplane mode does turn off GPS.

I think next, using that GPS crack, I’ll turn off the GPS methods that use data (Assisted Spherical/Cartesian, AFLT and AFLT/GPS Hybrid) and try it again. I’m also going to try using Jason Robitaille’s data on/off hack in device menu, then enable Fitrack and turn data off, instead of airplane mode… maybe airplane mode also shuts off the GPS…
    If you want the absolute least power drain, turn off everything except AFLT. The positioning won't be that accurate, and will be heavily dependent on how strong your cell signal is. But the power drain will be tiny compared to GPS.

That's the reason why Blackberries used AFLT for so long after most other devices had switched to GPS....way less power drain.
    Thanks Ebag, I'll try those things out also. Of course, I'm only doing all this to try to avoid paying $200+ for a basic Garmin unit to collect my GPS ride data....
  9.    #489  
    Thanks Ebag, I'll try those things out also. Of course, I'm only doing all this to try to avoid paying $200+ for a basic Garmin unit to collect my GPS ride data....
    Attach a little 12 volt permanent magnet DC Gear motor to your tire, and have on board power.....
    Just an FYI, settings were retained going from 1.4.1.1 to 1.4.5 on Sprint Pre.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I've read the first 7 pages and the last couple, but did not see this answer.

What is the difference between the two check types? It defaults to the shaded check.
  12.    #492  
    Quote Originally Posted by wprater View Post
    I've read the first 7 pages and the last couple, but did not see this answer.

What is the difference between the two check types? It defaults to the shaded check.
    I assume you mean the Allowed check box?

Shaded means some options are selected. Solid means all options are selected. Blank means no options are selected.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I assume you mean the Allowed check box?

Shaded means some options are selected. Solid means all options are selected. Blank means no options are selected.
    Well, you can control the level. There are three states to the allowed checkbox, so I can have them all check and still have it in the checked/shaded or unchecked states.
  14.    #494  
    QPST just assumes you know what you're doing. From my testing, doesn't seem to matter if it's shaded or checked, same effect.
    Is this going to be compatible with Windows 7 x64 anytime soon?
    Anyone know what this section of QXDM does?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Apple iPhone (before it was a fashion accessory) -> Palm Pre (O2 UK) -> Palm Pre Plus (AT&T)
  17.    #497  
    Quote Originally Posted by krsmith88 View Post
    Anyone know what this section of QXDM does?
    Allows you to change NVRAM values. It's explained how to use QXDM in the first post, I suggest you follow the instructions closely as changing some values may cause serious grief.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryaanh View Post
    Is this going to be compatible with Windows 7 x64 anytime soon?
    To work with any 64 bit computer beezlewaxin or someone else would have to write the drivers for 64 bit. I have not yet found any drivers that will work on 64 bit machines. Just FYI.
    Add IMDb to Universal Search Patch
    If you enjoy my work or help I have given, feel free to donate. Thanks.

Apologies in advance for my noobness. I've got a VZW Pre+ (OS 1.4.1.1) and I just installed the "Verizon GPS.patch". Google Maps spotted me within 20 feet in under 30 seconds. Saw a post somewhere along the line that said the patch was unstable in 1.4.5 and should be removed. Something I should worry about, or am I just hallucinating?
  20.    #500  
    Quote Originally Posted by SCarrMD View Post
    Apologies in advance for my noobness. I've got a VZW Pre+ (OS 1.4.1.1) and I just installed the "Verizon GPS.patch". Google Maps spotted me within 20 feet in under 30 seconds. Saw a post somewhere along the line that said the patch was unstable in 1.4.5 and should be removed. Something I should worry about, or am I just hallucinating?
    I just checked the WebOS doctor of 1.4.5 for the Pixi, should be the same as the Pre though. Anyway, the patch files haven't changed one bit, so the patch should work just as well for 1.4.5 as it did for 1.3.X. There's no extra "instability" there.

I have heard a couple (two so far) reports of problems updating/removing it, only thing I can think of is that the patch might not be flagged as being good for 1.4.5, that could cause problems. But you should be able to uninstall it through WebOS Quick Install. There is no update to it, so not sure why some folks are seeing an update needed.....

The patches web portal is down at the moment, I'll try and see what's going on once that comes back up.

Doing some more digging, looks like quite a few patches are having issues. Probably more related to that than anything specific to my particular patch.

/edit

So did some more research, and looks like the problem updating/installing/uninstalling is not a problem specific to my patch.

One of the suggested work around is:

1) Update Saved Package List in Preware
    2) Backup Preware in Save/Restore to be safe
    3) Run EPR in Preware
    4) Go back to Saved Package List in Preware and reinstall all patches from there.
    Last edited by Ebag333; 09/07/2010 at 02:38 PM.