Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 141920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SK64 View Post
    I have a german O2 Palm Pre. QXDM did not let me read the GPS NVRam entries mentioned in the previous posts ("invalid parameter"). The connection to the Pre has been established because QXDM showed some other NVRam parameters and the GPS signals. I tried to write the 400 and 3756 parameter (0xff and 3)
    The Pre survived this and this morning I got a quick GPS fix without being logged in the mobile net after a complete restart.
    It seems QXDM changed a value in the GSM codec area. While establishing a call i have a loud tone modulated with the ringer of the other phone. The pre does not pick up incoming calls. All other functions seem to work.

EDIT: I could get the phone part back to function by writing the values 0x00 to 400 and 1 to 3756 items... I will try a reset soon. I dont know which values I had changed with this, seems to influence GSM codec.
    Last edited by SK64; 06/25/2010 at 09:15 AM. Reason: More information
  2.    #462  
    Quote Originally Posted by SK64 View Post
    It seems QXDM changed a value in the GSM codec area. While establishing a call i have a loud tone modulated with the ringer of the other phone. The pre does not pick up incoming calls. All other functions seem to work.

EDIT: I could get the phone part back to function by writing the values 0x00 to 400 and 1 to 3756 items... I will try a reset soon. I dont know which values I had changed with this, seems to influence GSM codec.
    You must have changed something else. I've played with the values on these and had no problems. There have not been any other reports of this either, as of yet.

Granted it's still early and there could be something specific....
    Nevermind...my GPS is awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Nevermind...my GPS is awesome!
    ???
    First time poster, so apologizing in advance for any noobness.

As far I have read there is no confirmation that this modification works with off line map apps such as MapTool using pre-downloaded apps.

Can someone confirm this, as just unlocking the gps and getting long-lat is not of much use to me.
  6.    #466  
    I've been able to get GPS coords when in "offline" mode with this mod applied. I can't comment specifically on any 3rd party apps as I've done all my testing with the built in GPS diagnostic tool. Maybe others can chime in....
    not sure about airplan mode...

today I was on an air flight. I had airplan mode on, and ran a ##GPS# up in the air and could not get a fix.

I recall getting a fix before on the ground, when on airplane but not sure.

is there something with being on the air 3500 ft above? Not sure
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    i tried both settings for VZW and it did not do anything unfortunately. I hope 1.4.5.x fixes this ridiculous issue. my big questions is, why does the pixi + work and the pre + does not with VZW? i feel like i'm back to using the 8830 BBerry world phone before the 4.5.x firmware update/fix.
  9.    #469  
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmanbob View Post
    First time poster, so apologizing in advance for any noobness.

As far I have read there is no confirmation that this modification works with off line map apps such as MapTool using pre-downloaded apps.

Can someone confirm this, as just unlocking the gps and getting long-lat is not of much use to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I've been able to get GPS coords when in "offline" mode with this mod applied. I can't comment specifically on any 3rd party apps as I've done all my testing with the built in GPS diagnostic tool. Maybe others can chime in....
    I just happened to test MapTool this weekend. I had not downloaded any maps, so when out of service I did not have the map. However, it seemed to track my location just fine, despite going in and out of service, or roaming.

I didn't truly test standalone as I started MapTool before leaving service. But at the very least, if you have a GPS fix before leaving service, it seems to track you just fine no matter where you are.
    I applied the settings to a German PRE with an Hungarian (T-Mobile) SIM card. I've been roaming in the US for 3 weeks now so definitely no 3G data for me here.

I had to jump-start the GPS tracking by connecting via WiFi and getting a location fix with Google Services enabled in Location Settings preferences. I was able to turn off WiFi and keep being tracked with MapTool and offline maps. I also installed NavIt and managed to navigate around with it.

I can also get a fix with the GPS test in Device info.

Sometimes my fixes become erratic but I guess what I already got is beyond my expectations.
    Thank you very much for this hack! I thought my GPS was dead as the VZN work-around never worked for me and neither did your preware patch.

This worked though!

However, the battery drain is really bad! I have GPS shut off according to the preware menu patch that turns GPS on and off but I lose about a percent of battery every 10-15 minutes even with phone radio, GPS, 3G and WiFi turned off.

Is there something I can uncheck to stop this massive battery drain and still maintain a decent GPS lock?
  12.    #472  
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    Thank you very much for this hack! I thought my GPS was dead as the VZN work-around never worked for me and neither did your preware patch.

This worked though!

However, the battery drain is really bad! I have GPS shut off according to the preware menu patch that turns GPS on and off but I lose about a percent of battery every 10-15 minutes even with phone radio, GPS, 3G and WiFi turned off.

Is there something I can uncheck to stop this massive battery drain and still maintain a decent GPS lock?
    If your GPS is off, then this modification wouldn't cause a drain.

4% an hour loss with everything off seems about right to me.
    Ok - just to clarify for the GSM Pre, I only need to change the "00400 GPSOne Capabilities" to be 0xFF

Nothing else needs to be changed or boxes ticked, correct?

Regards,
    Shane.
    If your GPS is off, then this modification wouldn't cause a drain.

4% an hour loss with everything off seems about right to me.
    It's the only thing I've changed other than normal app updates. I'm going to test it to make sure. Before I did this hack, I did not lose any battery power for 8 hours with the phone in airplane mode and asleep. The only other suspect that updated at that time was Govnah and I made sure to re-select all the same setting I've always had. I'll try messing with that too.

Since I work in a faraday cage if I leave my phone on it runs down the battery trying to find a tower so I have to shut it off while at work. I'll normalize, test it and get back to you...

According to Govnuh my Pre is pulling 200-240 mA from the battery while in 800mhz mode.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 07/22/2010 at 01:44 AM.
  15.    #475  
    Where do you see battery drain in Govnuh? I'm not seeing that option.

According to battery monitor, I run between a 200 mA and 500 ma drain with phone on, data on, gps on, about 375 mA average.

In airplane mode, I'm sitting about 150 mA average (100 mA to 300 mA). While I have plenty of patches installed, this is with Palm default setting in Govnuh (but with kernal installed).

So 200 mA would sound about right in 800 mhz mode.

Then again, my numbers do have the GPS patch installed...but if GPS is off, it still shouldn't matter.

(Oh, and a faraday cage? Awesome. I always wanted to build one. Why? Just so I could have it. )
    Where do you see battery drain in Govnuh? I'm not seeing that option.
    I have uberkernal so I don't know if that added it or not. My Govnah for v.0.5.9 shows from the top down: Profile, Frequency, Temp, Battery Current, Load Average, Memory/Swap file and Time in State.

I'm thinking maybe my battery is dying. It's only 6 months old but along with the really fast drain recently, it will get to 20% full and then a minute later it will jump to 0%.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 07/22/2010 at 08:21 PM.
    First, sorry for my question and for my English.

I have a gsm pre in Spain. I don't understand the reason for this patch, in my case the gps works well without data connection and i have no patch:

I turn off data.
    I activate airplane mode.
    I restart the Pre.
    I have a drink...
    OK. The Pre restarts and now I'm in airplane mode.
    I activate GPS without Google services.
    I run Maptool with offline Maps. (this application don't require data connection in order to load maps).
    It works and situates me in 20 seconds.
    I walk around and it follows me perfectly.

Is that correct? Perhaps the Pre is using the cell towers even if it is in airplane mode? May I test this in a place without any cell signal?
    Thank you !
  18.    #478  
    I have uberkernal so I don't know if that added it or not. My Govnah for v.0.5.9 shows from the top down: Profile, Frequency, Temp, Battery Current, Load Average, Memory/Swap file and Time in State.
    My version of Govnah didn't have battery. I even checked and no update was showing, there's one now though so it must have been added. Cool.

I'm thinking maybe my battery is dying. It's only 6 months old but along with the really fast drain recently, it will get to 20% full and then a minute later it will jump to 0%.
    Sounds like a battery problem.

Quote Originally Posted by pitsop View Post
    First, sorry for my question and for my English.

I have a gsm pre in Spain. I don't understand the reason for this patch, in my case the gps works well without data connection and i have no patch:

I turn off data.
    I activate airplane mode.
    I restart the Pre.
    I have a drink...
    OK. The Pre restarts and now I'm in airplane mode.
    I activate GPS without Google services.
    I run Maptool with offline Maps. (this application don't require data connection in order to load maps).
    It works and situates me in 20 seconds.
    I walk around and it follows me perfectly.

Is that correct? Perhaps the Pre is using the cell towers even if it is in airplane mode? May I test this in a place without any cell signal?
    Thank you !
    If you're in airplane mode then your phone isn't communicating with cell service. Now if you have WiFi on, then you can still get a location fix as it will guess your position based on the information it has on the WiFi hotspot.

It's possible that this mod is already done for your phone. Palm can obviously control whether this is enabled or not as most of the Sprint and Verizon WebOS updates have turned this mod off if it was enabled. You could check and see if it is by following the steps in the first post.

I know that for my Sprint Pre, I can't use GPS without this mod if I have no cell/wifi signal or my phone/wifi radios are off. So what you describe above simply does not happen for me.

If it works for you straight out of the box....you're lucky.
    I suspect that this has changed with 1.4.5. I feel since this new release my gps works faster. :-)
    ebag333 what is the difference in mobile and pde under position calculation?