Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #381  
    Quote Originally Posted by mhous33 View Post
    For those with a pixi who want to enable extra gps modes, the diag driver from the set of drivers linked in the first post works, but the cdc driver doesn't. I found a modded set of drivers that does work with the pixi:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pi...i-drivers.html

@ Ebag333, feel free to post the link in the op...
    Great find! Added to the first post, along with the PDE information as an alternate Verizon setup.
    i'm sure hoping this QPST fix holds...so far it's really workin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I believe I have tracked down the cause of GPS failing to work properly on the Verizon Pre/Pixi.

This is (hopefully) your solution.

[Patch] Enable Verizon aGPS Server (Improved GPS)
    Ebag333, first and foremost - THANK YOU!!

I am a Verizon Palm Pre Plus user -tickled to report the combination of the QPST procedure outlined in the op for this thread, and the Patch to Enable Verizon aGPS work on my phone, (for the last hour anyway. ).

My phone is relatively new, (purchased in late March), so following Rudedog's suggestion, went ahead and edited all of the "dot inf" files replacing 216 with 316 before hooking up the phone. After they were all edited, I right clicked on each and selected "install".

The only stumbling block I ran into after connecting the phone via USB cable was "Just Charge" or "USB" - I went with "Just Charge" (like I do with WebOSQI) and apparently that was right. Followed the op precisely, (double and triple checking).

I chose to use:
    PDE IP Address: 216.198.139.92
    PDE Port Number: 8889
    PDE Transport: IP
    Position Calculation: PDE

After deselecting DIAG from USB Bypass, I rebooted the phone. I did NOT, nor will I touch VZNavigator. With WiFi and the phone both on, and ONLY GPS selected - ##477# Get GPS Fix resulted in a good fix - yes it was a bit slow that first time, but that is understandable. Google Maps worked, again a bit slow getting a lock - Trapster said GPS not avail, but on my 2nd try got a fix.

Went into Airplane Mode - did a ##477# and held my breath - got a great fix in a better than reasonable amount of time. True standalone GPS! Turned Airplane mode off and repeated all of the above tests, tossing in YPmobile - with each test it went faster, ("cached" GPS information?), and the lock was SOLID.

Its going to be real interesting to see what happens in the morning, but right now I am pretty confident the results are going to be just as good.

Thank you sir, until you are better paid!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeekster View Post
    Ebag333, first and foremost - THANK YOU!!

I am a Verizon Palm Pre Plus user -tickled to report the combination of the QPST procedure outlined in the op for this thread, and the Patch to Enable Verizon aGPS work on my phone, (for the last hour anyway. ).

Turned Airplane mode off and repeated all of the above tests, tossing in YPmobile - with each test it went faster, ("cached" GPS information?), and the lock was SOLID.
    we are neck and neck, same phone age etc.... i'm leaving the gps on most the time, since i don't believe it's pulling power when there is not a loc based app running. I think it will also help keep things fresh. i'm also running ebags' verizon agps server patch (revised). i took the auto-on google maps off my pre since it was turning the gps off everytime i closed gmaps (even when it was on before opening) it's not supposed to but it was.
    last night google maps was going to my cached location (the driveway) when i'm inside our metal building inside the office...but that's good, i'd rather that than the cell tower a mile away. this morning google maps really stuck with the cached location, but i think i had turned off gps over night. i fired up gpsdashboard and within a minute i had a close lock. ran through a couple more apps, maptool, minimap...all kept a good lock. i'm now back in the box in the metal box, so we'll see what happens when i try mapping some stuff this afternoon.
    i'm wondering if apps are designed to use specific or groups of gps options and/or a protocol list of gps options to run through. i would think so.

edit- just did the QPST procedure on my wife's pre+...little easier the 2nd time 'round :-)
    edit 2- i just can't believe that VZW advertised "stand-alone gps" for the pre+ and it has to be enabled thru QPST...it's almost like they "had to" put the pre+ out there and just didnt make it fully functional. but why? oversight? purposefully sabotaging palm devices to finsih them off (thanks HP for taking care of that)?? w t f
    Last edited by jhodnettejr; 05/14/2010 at 12:02 PM.
  5. ght
    Global Posts
    891 Global Posts
    I had the enable aGPS patch installed with pretty good results - slow locks (5min+), but very accurate (less than 12ft). In an effort to improve lock times, I performed the QPST process - Verizon (not Verizon Alternate) and performed phone reboot. After QPST, none of my GPS applications were able to get a lock, and some (Send My Location) reported a GPS error. I uninstalled the aGPS patch and my GPS apps got VERY quick locks, but not all that accurate (20ft-80ft accuracy, bouncing around in that range). I re-installed the aGPS patch with no effect on accuracy or other errors. Google Maps seemed to track me pretty well, however.

So, to summarize:

Good results with patch only - slow but accurate GPS locks.
    Had to uninstall aGPS patch after QPST procedure, but got very fast, less accurate locks.
    Re-installing the patch seemed to have no effect on locks speed or accuracy after QPST.

I will attempt Verizon Alternate QPST settings and report back.
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    So, to summarize:

Good results with patch only - slow but accurate GPS locks.
    Had to uninstall aGPS patch after QPST procedure, but got very fast, less accurate locks.
    Re-installing the patch seemed to have no effect on locks speed or accuracy after QPST.

I will attempt Verizon Alternate QPST settings and report back.
    I did a full shutdown, removed the battery for a few minutes to clear the gps cache. at first the gps locks will come slowly. are you using nulsul's aGPS server patch or the first one that ebagg did? i'm running the former.... everything seems to be performing well. i've got a run to make this afternoon, so i'll be testing gps performance. you can also try running thru some of ebagg's test procedures. i thnk the verison alt QPST settings are for pixi.
  7. ght
    Global Posts
    891 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    i thnk the verison alt QPST settings are for pixi.
    Seems you might be right. Fields aren't set up on my Pre for that kind of IP address.

I'm going to disable the AFLT and AFLT/GPS Hybrid modes and see how it does. Report to follow.
    After some much needed rest, I have repeated all of the tests performed last night. Bottom line, GPS is now functioning in the expected manner on my Verizon Palm Pre Plus and I am one happy camper!

Again, I chose to go with the IP address rather than trusting a DNS lookup - and remain keenly aware I will probably have to modify/update that in the future should they change it - so have left everything set up and ready to go for "next time" until Verizon actually comes out with the "fix" mentioned/found on tweeter today by VZWSupport.
    To add another oddity - ebag's patch didn't do anything for me. Changing the settings in QPST for the aGPS address and port to everything in the aGPS thread and this one did nothing. The modified patch with the 216 address didn't make it acquire without VZNav, and when it did acquire, it was a half mile northwest of where I was.

Uninstalled the patch, started Google (unable to blahblah), started VZNav, Got location in Google within a couple feet.

Is it possible that the GPS chipset is just total *** and each run of phones has a different set of failure modes?
    well....i crapped out again... agps patch and QPST set with all gps types enabled isn't gettin it done. i'm going to try disabling modes in QPST and see if i can wake this gps up. god this sucks....i'm really starting to lose it.....
    last night I removed nulsuls mod'd vzw patch and put in the manual changes discussed on the patch thread for the NIM aGPS srver, shutdown and pulled the battery. Per mespiff i'm going to just leave it be for a day or two. Leaving the gps on, auto locate by gps and google serv. Also leaving cell data on.

setup:
    vzw pre+ 1.4.1.1
    uberk, govnah- screenst 500/800
    vreihen's agps mod
    auto locate- on
    loc by-gps and google serv
    QPST- all choices selected

results, day 1:

-slow initial gps lock via ##477#
    -quick agps via google maps (i only assume it was agps)
    -minute or so first transition to solid gps lock
    -quick transitions since
    -accurate cached loc (in lowes, metal barn, in pocket)

....more to follow
    Verizon Palm Pre Plus

Day two running both the QPST fix and Ebag's Verizon patch with no further modification.

1st lock with ##477# took about a minute
    Google maps - locked in 10 seconds
    Trapster - locked in 25 seconds
    YPMobile - locked 18 second after I poked the button to find my location
    Airplane mode ON - ##477# locked in less than 10 seconds with 25 ft accuracy - I value this standalone capability more than any of the rest...

Today I am testing from my couch at home in the San Diego area on a very clear day (blue skies).

Again, these results are only for MY phone and I am elated - your mileage may vary.
    So I just used QPST fix already having the patch.

I run ##GPS# and get "Gps Error Position Unavailable" after it attempts to find my position for a minute or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by marshcat View Post
    So I just used QPST fix already having the patch.

I run ##GPS# and get "Gps Error Position Unavailable" after it attempts to find my position for a minute or so.
    it may need more time for an initial fix....

*update*
    my luck ran out...after a day of good performance, i couldn't get anything to lock other than a spot up the road. clear skies....outsside, no trees. not even big bad vznavi worked.

uninstalled the agps patch. we'll see today....might start eliminating modes on QPST
    Need help, how to install "PDEIS801.myvzw.com" in QPST procedure? I can install only server ID, the program does not have options for the .com file. The issue is -PDEIS801.myvzw.com - resolves itesf into the 2 ID, and depending which one I get it ether shows me .5 miles away or couple feet away...
    Can anyone suggest (or point me to) best settings for a formerly-Sprint Pre that's been Meta-Doctored to be WiFi-only? Thanks. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
  17.    #397  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Can anyone suggest (or point me to) best settings for a formerly-Sprint Pre that's been Meta-Doctored to be WiFi-only? Thanks. {Jonathan}
    None of the IP's are resolvable unless you are on that particular network. So check the boxes, but leave the PDE settings alone. They wouldn't help you anyway.

You could leave the boxes for aGPS and AFLT unchecked, neither setting will work. You probably can't reach the carrier aGPS server and the cellular radio would be off so no AFLT.

Although....if the radio is on I think AFLT works, even if you don't subscribe to the service, for 911 requirements. So if your radio is on, you could use that....

But I've never tested it, so play with different settings and let me know what happens.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    Need help, how to install "PDEIS801.myvzw.com" in QPST procedure? I can install only server ID, the program does not have options for the .com file. The issue is -PDEIS801.myvzw.com - resolves itesf into the 2 ID, and depending which one I get it ether shows me .5 miles away or couple feet away...
    Quoting my post on another thread here:

"My first discovery is that PDEIS801.myvzw.com resolves to at least two IP addresses: 66.174.94.132 and 66.174.95.132, in round-robin fashion."

Pick one of these IP two addresses and put it into the proper QPST screen.....
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Quoting my post on another thread here:

"My first discovery is that PDEIS801.myvzw.com resolves to at least two IP addresses: 66.174.94.132 and 66.174.95.132, in round-robin fashion."

Pick one of these IP two addresses and put it into the proper QPST screen.....
    That exactly what I did, and I have to launch VizNav twice ( I have installed 66.174.95.132), first time I am located .5 miles away, second when I connecting to 66.174.95.132 (my guess) I am right there (sometimes it even shows right room I am in). Any chance to combine both addresses in one?
  20.    #400  
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    Any chance to combine both addresses in one?
    That's what the domain name does. Unfortunately, you have to enter an IP in QPST.