Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    Ebag, great to see you on P|C! Thanks for sharing this hack!
    What's with the name change?

Quote Originally Posted by mencho View Post
    Great news!

Can't wait for Pre owners to enable this hack and confirm that Pre can do standalone GPS!
    So I'm not a Pre owner?
    Okay one thing about the AFLT mode... that might be bad to enable, actually. The Pre already uses an tower-assisted type mode in software, based on Google stuff I believe. That's why some applications can get an instant 'fix' on your position and then ask you if you want a more detailed position, making AFLT redundant, and no better of a failsafe since the Pre already does similar BEFORE everything else.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Okay one thing about the AFLT mode... that might be bad to enable, actually. The Pre already uses an tower-assisted type mode in software, based on Google stuff I believe. That's why some applications can get an instant 'fix' on your position and then ask you if you want a more detailed position, making AFLT redundant, and no better of a failsafe since the Pre already does similar BEFORE everything else.
    I haven't noticed any side effects or errors. Everything has been working fine. What apps are you referring to? I'll give them a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    I haven't noticed any side effects or errors. Everything has been working fine. What apps are you referring to? I'll give them a try.
    Well it wouldn't give an error, just in the few occasions it'd use AFLT, it just sort of seems to me to defeat the purpose of having the quick fix via Google and then the longer fix giving very similar tower/IP -triangulated data.

And unfortunately, I can't remember which app it was I saw the "more accurate fix" message in. I've got like 10 GPS enabled apps installed so it could be a bunch of things.

This could all be moot anyway, because we don't even know if webOS can access the AFLT stuff from the GPS chip. As mentioned, WinMob didn't use it at all.
    Huge thanks and an extra dose of nerd karma for your effort!

Out of curiosity, care to speculate as to why Palm didn't enable these options at the factory?
    Ebag, great seeing you around here again! You having a Pre is almost exciting as flash coming to the Pre. I can't wait to see you dive into this phone.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Hey how did you guys get tech support to release the SPC/MSL code. I tried saying I needed to do a factory reset and was told that web doctor does not require that information and that I should try that program first. anyone please help!!
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I would probably still have the 800w if it hadn't fallen off the table, landed right on the USB cable (was plugged in charging), and broken something internally. Worked fine, just wouldn't charge/sync.

My wife still has hers and loves it.

That's what it looks like. I'm sure someone is going to claim that the test I ran above isn't valid for some reason, so I'll try and get outside of service coverage in the next few weeks and test it then.

I'll also be curious to see if this helps with the problem of GPS going to sleep and not waking back up if you leave service and the screen gets shut off.

Now we just need a standalone GPS app.....
    I still have my 800W , with my Mugen extended battery plus 8Gig card.
    It was my fourth phone , first two had bad speaker or no speakers :-).
    I would like to keep it as a backup phone.

I hacked it to death thanks to you and malatesta.

I am going to try the GPS fix and will report back.

Thanks again, and I hope you will find more tweaks , making precentral the go to forum :-).
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Just curious but is it possible that at some point, these options can be done without rooting and using the tools mentioned? First, I don't want to get into the whole rooting. I've used linux distros so I am somewhat familiar with it I just don't want to do it on the phone. Secondly, I don't have a 32bit OS to run the drivers so I can't do squat anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    Just curious but is it possible that at some point, these options can be done without rooting and using the tools mentioned? First, I don't want to get into the whole rooting. I've used linux distros so I am somewhat familiar with it I just don't want to do it on the phone. Secondly, I don't have a 32bit OS to run the drivers so I can't do squat anyway.
    I would seriously doubt the answer to your first question is yes. However, I too am in the 64 bit boat and only can hope beezlewaxin can create drivers for a 64 bit OS. I played around a little while ago with trying to get it to work but came up shooting craps. I started a thread on it back then. http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...c-drivers.html
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    ebagg333
    Should I choose "Charge Only" when connected to Pre using the cable.

And what version of the PALM SDK you used ?
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    hmm

I am getting the following error

C:\Program Files\Palm\SDK\bin>novacom -t open tty://
    root@castle:/# mpt 0d
    mpt 0d
    novacomd socket was closed prematurely
    novacom: unexpected EOF from server

The data port is dead on the phone. Novacom won't run.
    I will have to reset the phone to run the novacom.

I will try using it as USB drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    So I'm not a Pre owner?
    sure you are, I mean other owners cause I don't have a Pre myself yet

I'm in GSM land and still waiting for unlocked Pre so your hack makes my prolonged wait even more painful
  14.    #34  
    I really wouldn't worry about it.

It may be that WebOS accesses the AFLT mode directly, but I suspect what happens is that it's using the aGPS information to "guestimate" a fix before it gets a real one from the towers.

aGPS and AFTL is somewhat similar because you're getting location information from the towers, just the aGPS info you get is more geared towards how to find sats, but that still gives you a rough position (as your location on the planet is one of two keys to finding the sats, that and the current time).

I can't see any harm in enabling AFLT. It'll only work if the towers support it and nothing else works, providing a fall back method. If you're concerned though, just leave it disabled, there was no point in enabling it on the 800w as the drivers didn't support it, so we left it disabled there. But even if Palm doesn't support AFLT currently, they may add support in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by SiniStereO View Post
    Out of curiosity, care to speculate as to why Palm didn't enable these options at the factory?
    It's really hard to tell. With the 800w my guess was that since it was originally a Verizon device, it was very likely that the block never got removed when Sprint picked it up. With the Pre, that's obviously not the case (plus there isn't the limitation of needing the time off the network).

There could be a couple of reasons:

• Sprint wanted it locked down.
    • It was setup this way to encourage providers such as Verizon to pick it up.
    • Palm always intended to unlock it down the road.
    • It got overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by willsurg View Post
    Hey how did you guys get tech support to release the SPC/MSL code. I tried saying I needed to do a factory reset and was told that web doctor does not require that information and that I should try that program first. anyone please help!!
    Last time I called in I just told the rep that I wanted my MSL code. I told him that they give out the code when the phone is provisioned, so he should have no problem giving it to me. He didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    Unfortunately you cannot do this without rooting your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    ebagg333
    Should I choose "Charge Only" when connected to Pre using the cable.

And what version of the PALM SDK you used ?
    Yup, I used Charge Only. I used the latest version of the SDK. You can also use novaterm instead of the command line (though looks like you're already past that ).

hmm

I am getting the following error

C:\Program Files\Palm\SDK\bin>novacom -t open tty://
    root@castle:/# mpt 0d
    mpt 0d
    novacomd socket was closed prematurely
    novacom: unexpected EOF from server

The data port is dead on the phone. Novacom won't run.
    I will have to reset the phone to run the novacom.

I will try using it as USB drive.
    You turned on developer mode, yes?

From another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    The permision, and/or socket closing issues I was having, could they be caused or at least aggrivated by my Novaterm Lan2 connection attempting to start? I noticed it trying to come up on my system tray, but with limited connectivity. ONce I disabled this, the socket did not seem to keep disconnecting in my cmd window??
    Any chance of seeing this as a tweak? It seems to me like it might be a bit more complicated than simply creating a patch..
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Ebag
    I used charge only and yes I did turn the Devmode.
    something wrong with the novacom crashing.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by guerillatwang View Post
    Any chance of seeing this as a tweak? It seems to me like it might be a bit more complicated than simply creating a patch..
    I'm looking into it, but no promises.

Ebag
    I used charge only and yes I did turn the Devmode.
    something wrong with the novacom crashing.
    Not sure then.

Looks like a couple of other people have had this problem, but I haven't seen a good resolution.
    Where do these changes get stored? Would they be wiped out by a WebOS update or by a WebOS Doctor wipe?
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Okay, first time when I ran the "mpt 0d" , I was forced to install the drivers. Which I did by pointing the location.

Now the command "mpt 0d" is shutting the novacom.
    As a result the data port is dead on the phone.

I can make calls , but no internet.
    I did disable and enable dev mode just to see if there is anything that gets flushed out.
    Nope.

I did noticed the novacom module die in the device manager of my windows after the "mpt 0d" command.

I have to tell you , I have preware install virtual keyboard.

Apart from Preware and Filecoaster the phone has no hacks ( Tethering , LED glow .... etc).
    Well it wouldn't give an error, just in the few occasions it'd use AFLT, it just sort of seems to me to defeat the purpose of having the quick fix via Google and then the longer fix giving very similar tower/IP -triangulated data.

And unfortunately, I can't remember which app it was I saw the "more accurate fix" message in. I've got like 10 GPS enabled apps installed so it could be a bunch of things.

This could all be moot anyway, because we don't even know if webOS can access the AFLT stuff from the GPS chip. As mentioned, WinMob didn't use it at all.

I think the Where app asks if you want it to get a more accurate fix.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567 12 ... LastLast