Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    http://www.precentral.net/verizon-pr...gps-after-1411

So now the questions:

1. Can it be legally worked around?
    2. Does launching VZ Nav temporarily insert the aGPS location into webOS's location 'system' and that explains why launching it seemed to help?
    Dieter (or other expert) can you tell me if aGPS is actually implemented in the entire VZ network. It occurred to me that it could help to explain why some have issues and others (including me) don't.

I was just reading up on aGPS and it made me wonder. I had "the problem" the other day, but that's the only time and now it is working flawlessly with google location services off and having never launched vznavigator. There are two threads started where programmer-level people are trying to figure this out because it can't be as simple as "VZ must be conspiring to irritate their customers and generate lots of phone returns..."

Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote Originally Posted by creepycat View Post
    .....sprint pre - never had trouble with gps - dont pay extra for nav service
    Thats untrue. Early Pre owners on Sprint had the exact same issue with GPS location being off up to a couple miles. I had to open Sprint nav many times to jump start GPS to open up Go To Tool. I use my Pre for Geocaching and at times the various apps (Go to Tool and Precaching) both will report something different than what I see in Google Maps. However I can go back to the same location later and its fine.

In fact yesterday I had a customer with the issue of reporting the wrong location (a few blocks away) on her Sprint Pre.

This was really a big issue on the early Pre's but I dont see it much any longer. Seems like the newer Pre's (past 3-4 months) seem to be much better.
    Please need help. Per instruction I have got to Add new port in QPST. However, when I chose USB/QC Diagnostic it said no phone. I had problem with driver installation but edited them per Rudedog instructions, i.e changed all 216 to 316.
    In Device manager I have COM7 -[beez] Palm Pre Diag Port SPC=0x00a622ba (com7)
    and USB Composite Device. What I did wrong?
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Nokia's support page says they can use a Nokia aGPS service if their carrier doesn't supply one...
  6.    #366  
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    Please need help. Per instruction I have got to Add new port in QPST. However, when I chose USB/QC Diagnostic it said no phone. I had problem with driver installation but edited them per Rudedog instructions, i.e changed all 216 to 316.
    In Device manager I have COM7 -[beez] Palm Pre Diag Port SPC=0x00a622ba (com7)
    and USB Composite Device. What I did wrong?
    If you see in your device manager the Diag port is COM7, then that should be what you use in QPST. You are either skipping a step (there's a box that you should uncheck), or the device is not installed properly.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNNole View Post
    Nokia's support page says they can use a Nokia aGPS service if their carrier doesn't supply one...
    What I'm seeing on their site says that the device will use the Nokia aGPS server if the carrier doesn't supply one....for Nokia devices.

I don't think that's an open invitation for anyone to use their server. But I'd be curious to see if it was truly open or not. A quick search does not turn up the server information either.
    Last edited by Ebag333; 05/09/2010 at 12:54 PM.
  7.    #367  
    I believe I have tracked down the cause of GPS failing to work properly on the Verizon Pre/Pixi.

This is (hopefully) your solution.

[Patch] Enable Verizon aGPS Server (Improved GPS)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    If you see in your device manager the Diag port is COM7, then that should be what you use in QPST. You are either skipping a step (there's a box that you should uncheck), or the device is not installed properly.
    I did uncheck box. That was only one QPST box. Now the question how to install device properly? Delete everything form device manager, or go to another computer all together?
  9.    #369  
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    I did uncheck box. That was only one QPST box. Now the question how to install device properly? Delete everything form device manager, or go to another computer all together?
    Are you trying this on a 64 bit OS? It only works on 32 bit.

I'm not sure what's going on. From what you've described, it should be working. You could try deleting all the drivers, and reconnecting. Perhaps when you edited the driver files you goofed something up?
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Just enabled the additional gps profiles for my pixi and got a near-instant fix with google maps afterwards. haven't installed ebag333's patch yet, but will try that next.
    I was able to get the diag driver loaded, but not the Reduced CDC Abstract Control Model (R-ACM) driver. Is the driver supposed to work with the pixi?
    QPST seems to work ok for the most part; all checkbox values stuck but ip and port values did not, tried multiple writes. Wondering if there's a way to enter these values on the device, like in another hidden dev menu.
    This hack also used to work on Moto dumbphones like the KRZR, Z6tv & V9m, but vzw started authenticating the gps server & it stopped working. IIRC Motos had even better results with Position Calculation set to 'mobile', so might be worth a try.
    Are you trying this on a 64 bit OS? It only works on 32 bit.

I'm not sure what's going on. From what you've described, it should be working. You could try deleting all the drivers, and reconnecting. Perhaps when you edited the driver files you goofed something up?
    It is not 64 bit, however, I will try different computer. On this one Webos quick install does not work ether...
  12.    #372  
    Quote Originally Posted by mhous33 View Post
    Just enabled the additional gps profiles for my pixi and got a near-instant fix with google maps afterwards. haven't installed ebag333's patch yet, but will try that next.
    I was able to get the diag driver loaded, but not the Reduced CDC Abstract Control Model (R-ACM) driver. Is the driver supposed to work with the pixi?
    QPST seems to work ok for the most part; all checkbox values stuck but ip and port values did not, tried multiple writes. Wondering if there's a way to enter these values on the device, like in another hidden dev menu.
    This hack also used to work on Moto dumbphones like the KRZR, Z6tv & V9m, but vzw started authenticating the gps server & it stopped working. IIRC Motos had even better results with Position Calculation set to 'mobile', so might be worth a try.
    It should work with the Pixi, but some stuff may not work (such as the IP settings). I'm not sure what will work and what won't as I do not have a Pixi to play with.
    everything worked on another computer
    Ebag333 I need your help!! I followed all of your steps to the letter, I was able to enable my GPS. Now I have a new bigger problem, my phone will no longer recognize as a USB device. I can not access the drive at all, I can only guess that the phone is stuck in passthrough or something. I have tried removing the patch, but still whenever I connect my phone to my PC, the PC wants to load the Reduced CDC Abstract Control Model (R-ACM) driver and the Generic Serial devices driver. Is there any way to fix this short of complete restore?
    Quote Originally Posted by completethought View Post
    Ebag333 I need your help!! I followed all of your steps to the letter, I was able to enable my GPS. Now I have a new bigger problem, my phone will no longer recognize as a USB device. I can not access the drive at all, I can only guess that the phone is stuck in passthrough or something. I have tried removing the patch, but still whenever I connect my phone to my PC, the PC wants to load the Reduced CDC Abstract Control Model (R-ACM) driver and the Generic Serial devices driver. Is there any way to fix this short of complete restore?
    Make sure that you've turned off diagnostics for the USB port in the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermithrax View Post
    Make sure that you've turned off diagnostics for the USB port in the phone.
    I did that, in fact I removed the patch completely.
  17.    #377  
    Quote Originally Posted by completethought View Post
    I did that, in fact I removed the patch completely.
    Removing the patch doesn't turn off diagnostic mode. Reinstall the ##USBPASS# patch, go into it, turn off diagnostic mode, and leave the patch installed. (You know, just in case. )
    Reinstall the patch and switch it on (and wait until it says it's on), then switch it off off for both USB ports.

Then uninstall the patch.

On preview, what Ebag333 said. :P
    Removing the patch doesn't turn off diagnostic mode. Reinstall the ##USBPASS# patch, go into it, turn off diagnostic mode, and leave the patch installed. (You know, just in case. )
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermithrax View Post
    Reinstall the patch and switch it on (and wait until it says it's on), then switch it off off for both USB ports.

Then uninstall the patch.

On preview, what Ebag333 said. :P

THANK YOU!!!!! That worked!!!! I will leave it installed now that I understand it was not the problem. Man I was worried for awhile there.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    For those with a pixi who want to enable extra gps modes, the diag driver from the set of drivers linked in the first post works, but the cdc driver doesn't. I found a modded set of drivers that does work with the pixi:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pi...i-drivers.html

@ Ebag333, feel free to post the link in the op...