Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 610
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #341  
    Note:

    1.4.1 update UNCHECKED the checkmarks, go ahead and reenable it.
  2. tallarob's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    #342  
    I'm too much of a newbie to try this hack. I have noticed that my GPS is not very accurate. For example, I tried "Where's My Car" and it said it was accurate to 6,000+ feet - that's over a mile! I don't think this is going to help me find my car!!

    Verizon has a navigator service for $9.99/month. Is this necessary to get better accuracy?
  3.    #343  
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    Note:

    1.4.1 update UNCHECKED the checkmarks, go ahead and reenable it.
    Confirmed on Sprint.

    Quote Originally Posted by tallarob View Post
    I'm too much of a newbie to try this hack. I have noticed that my GPS is not very accurate. For example, I tried "Where's My Car" and it said it was accurate to 6,000+ feet - that's over a mile! I don't think this is going to help me find my car!!

    Verizon has a navigator service for $9.99/month. Is this necessary to get better accuracy?
    The Verizon Pre Plus is notorious for having poor GPS locks. I've been unable to determine what (if anything) software side is causing it, and suspect that it's something in the hardware/firmware side.

    I've heard mixed reviews about Verizon Navigator helping. Some say yes, some say no, some say sometimes.
  4. #344  
    Thank you for the instructions. I did just as described and now have a small question. I used the ##GPS# and did the "Get Fix." I typed those lat and lon into my Google Earth on my desktop computer and it's spot on. I left the GPS window open on my Pre and opened Google Maps on my Pre and it has me a good 20 miles away in another town. I am on my company's wireless and assume it's because our ISP is also 20 miles away in that same town. Is there something I didn't do properly to get the programs on my phone to use the more exact GPS fix? I was hoping this would work well for Geocaching (with the Geocaching for WebOS app) for areas where I get no cell signal.
  5. #345  
    Hello and thanks for this hack. I'm trying it, having a 1.4.1 Movistar Pre (GSM). I am stuck here:

    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    [*]Click the Read from Phone button. This is where you will enter your MSL/SPC code.
    Since I am a GSM user, I don't know anything about a MSL/SPC, so I left it at "0000000". But it still reads info.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    [*]Browse to the gpsOne tab.
    I have no gpsOne tab!!!

    I have a lot of others: NAS, System, SMS, SMS-CB, Security, Roam, PPP Config, IPv6 and RmNet...

    Do I *need* the MSL/SPC code??



    On another hand... Are here the carrier locking settings?

    Thanks, again.
  6.    #346  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdbillups View Post
    Thank you for the instructions. I did just as described and now have a small question. I used the ##GPS# and did the "Get Fix." I typed those lat and lon into my Google Earth on my desktop computer and it's spot on. I left the GPS window open on my Pre and opened Google Maps on my Pre and it has me a good 20 miles away in another town. I am on my company's wireless and assume it's because our ISP is also 20 miles away in that same town. Is there something I didn't do properly to get the programs on my phone to use the more exact GPS fix? I was hoping this would work well for Geocaching (with the Geocaching for WebOS app) for areas where I get no cell signal.
    If your wireless is on, it may be using your wireless router for the location.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tokafondo View Post
    Hello and thanks for this hack. I'm trying it, having a 1.4.1 Movistar Pre (GSM). I am stuck here:

    Since I am a GSM user, I don't know anything about a MSL/SPC, so I left it at "0000000". But it still reads info.

    I have no gpsOne tab!!!

    I have a lot of others: NAS, System, SMS, SMS-CB, Security, Roam, PPP Config, IPv6 and RmNet...

    Do I *need* the MSL/SPC code??
    Without a GPS tab, you cannot take advantage of this tweak. I do not know why the GPS tab does not seem to show for GSM phones, it is not an issue for CDMA.
  7. #347  
    I posted it earlier in this thread, I have also no GPSone tab with a german o2 GSM Pre. Didn't find a solution until now. The monitoring of GPS signal with QXDM works...
    Maybe its possible to change the appropriate values in the NVRAM directly..
  8. #348  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Confirmed on Sprint.



    The Verizon Pre Plus is notorious for having poor GPS locks. I've been unable to determine what (if anything) software side is causing it, and suspect that it's something in the hardware/firmware side.

    I've heard mixed reviews about Verizon Navigator helping. Some say yes, some say no, some say sometimes.
    Here's my experience tonight. None of the Location-based stuff was able to get a fix, ##477# never got a fix, diags never got a fix.

    I am not paying for the VZ Navigator service.

    I did your patch, no change.

    On a lark, I opened VZ Navigator, declined it (it asks if you want to buy or not).

    I had the ##477# and Google Maps running in other cards. Both got a fix pretty much instantly.

    Either VZW screwed something up in the setup, or they are deliberately [insert favorite swear word here]ing with us.

    I'll call VZW support tomorrow and see if they have anything to say for themselves, and report back.
  9. #349  
    OK, Tier 1 support sez the GPS should work without having either a sub to or having to start/stop VZ Navigator. He also said that there was a similar problem with the BB Storm that was fixed with an update. On hold for tier two.

    Maybe this is what's holding up 1.4.1.1?
  10. #350  
    Tier 2 had no answers. At least now (hopefully) it's on their radar. Maybe.

    If I get time over the weekend, I'll install bash and see what's running before/after VZ Navigator starts. This just smells like a demand-start service that ought not be demand-started, or ought to start any time something activates the GPS.
  11. #351  
    Quote Originally Posted by tallarob View Post
    I'm too much of a newbie to try this hack. I have noticed that my GPS is not very accurate. For example, I tried "Where's My Car" and it said it was accurate to 6,000+ feet - that's over a mile! I don't think this is going to help me find my car!!

    Verizon has a navigator service for $9.99/month. Is this necessary to get better accuracy?
    GPS was totally stinky (most of the time only having tower location) before I subscribed (30 day free trial) to the Verizon Navigator. Now it locks on pretty darned quick and reasonably accurate, even inside my house. So I'm afraid that the allegations of Verizon locking away the GPS functions are very true.
  12. #352  
    Quote Originally Posted by samecolor View Post
    GPS was totally stinky (most of the time only having tower location) before I subscribed (30 day free trial) to the Verizon Navigator. Now it locks on pretty darned quick and reasonably accurate, even inside my house. So I'm afraid that the allegations of Verizon locking away the GPS functions are very true.
    You didn't need to subscribe to the service. Simply opening and closing the app turns the GPS on. And it seems to take about a half a minute to acquire, which is slow by modern GPS chipset standards. My Garmin acquires much faster.
  13. #353  
    New to Palm Pre Plus, like it so far.

    I was trying out the Google Maps / GPS feature. It does a decent job of getting me around however, if you veer off course... the map screen should have a button on it that says 're-route from here' (draw a new route based on current GPS location).

    Currently if I'm off course from the map screen, I have to hit 'Menu', 'Get Directions', hit the 'Get directions' bar, then hit 'View map'.

    Maybe I'm missing something and it's already in my phone.

    Also, if there's a 'development wish list' spot on this forum, that'd be great to post on that.
  14. Grey_girl's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #354  
    Is this a Verizon issue or a webOS issue, really? I have no problem when using the Sprint nav program, but any other GPS-based app returns spotty location info, at best. For example, I had big hopes for GeoStrings, but that fails to detect my location more than it does.
  15. #355  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_girl View Post
    Is this a Verizon issue or a webOS issue, really? I have no problem when using the Sprint nav program, but any other GPS-based app returns spotty location info, at best. For example, I had big hopes for GeoStrings, but that fails to detect my location more than it does.
    On the GeoStrings app help screen, I've provided a "FAQ" that contains GPS troubleshooting steps. I've found that following these steps have helped others with their GPS woes.

    GPS is definitely not perfect in webOS but I've found it to be pretty reliable in most cases.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  16. #356  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_girl View Post
    Is this a Verizon issue or a webOS issue, really? I have no problem when using the Sprint nav program, but any other GPS-based app returns spotty location info, at best. For example, I had big hopes for GeoStrings, but that fails to detect my location more than it does.
    This is the million dollar question. I find it hard to believe it's not Verizon when the following happens to me every time:

    when I open Google Maps, I will get the error "Your current location is unavailable". In any other GPS based apps, I do not get any signal. I even tried turning off GPS and turning it back on. I closed Google Maps and even tried ##GPS# but that didn't work. It won't even get a signal. I then open VZ Nav and put it into card view. I then open Google Maps or any other GPS app and I get a spot on location every time. Accuracy is within 1-6 feet at times. If I am moving on the highway, it will work. If I close out of Google Maps and close out of VZ Nav and let my phone sleep for a while, the gps doesn't work until I open VZ Nav again. Once I open VZ Nav, it works fine.

    hmmmm......
  17. dcmarch's Avatar
    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    #357  
    I have had problems with google maps since I got my phone when I went into verizon they wanted me to try vznavigator. Funny thing as soon as I paid google maps worked fine even with out vznavigator opened. when I disconnected vznavigator google maps quit working again. Palm web site states you can use the gps with pin point accracy. I feel both palm and verizon is lying to there customers and have locked the gps for their own financial gains.
  18. #358  
    I'm a newbie to this website.
    I hope you guys help me always if I fall in trouble. And I'm really happy to join with you.
    Pls share your valuable tips and tricks with me.
  19. #359  
    Quote Originally Posted by DardenMacklin View Post
    I'm a newbie to this website.
    I hope you guys help me always if I fall in trouble. And I'm really happy to join with you.
    Pls share your valuable tips and tricks with me.
    Just to the website?

    Sorry, had to say it.

    Tips:
    1. Use Search when looking for something.
    2. If you need to ask, look for the correct forum/subforum and ask
    3. Share info if you have it
  20. #360  
    ...............be disgrundled a little longer, longer with big red..................LOL

    sprint pre - never had trouble with gps - dont pay extra for nav service
    Cat up a Treo (now on the Pre, yo!)
    Creepycat at Creepycast Podcast

    Palm user since "the one after the pilot" and still horde a drawer full of pda models as well as cradles and fold up keyboards because i was too greedy to let them "go" when they could have "went".

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions