Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 25 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 610
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #281  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    How long are you waiting after you get a position?

    My experience is that it will get a location quickly, but it will be very inaccurate as it's using tower triangulation. Give it 20-30 seconds (maybe longer if you're in a poor GPS location) and the accuracy will quickly go up.
    Yeah with Google Services turned off I do get a cell tower AGPS position fix fairly quickly (in my home standing beside a large window) then the actual position shows up in about a minute.

    I guess I'm making a mistake by comparing the Pre's GPS performance with my Garmin Etrex Vista Cx GPS receiver.. that thing works great and does seem to be quite more precise than the Palm, even now that it's tweaked. I notice while driving past other roads & watching Google Maps there is still quite a delay in the display showing me passing the road on the screen. My Vista Cx is very accurate in this regard.

    Maybe if/when someone like Garmin comes up with full built-in maps for the Pre that'll make a big improvement in this sort of performance. I'll be 1st in line to buy something like that
  2.    #282  
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    Yeah with Google Services turned off I do get a cell tower AGPS position fix fairly quickly (in my home standing beside a large window) then the actual position shows up in about a minute.

    I guess I'm making a mistake by comparing the Pre's GPS performance with my Garmin Etrex Vista Cx GPS receiver.. that thing works great and does seem to be quite more precise than the Palm, even now that it's tweaked. I notice while driving past other roads & watching Google Maps there is still quite a delay in the display showing me passing the road on the screen. My Vista Cx is very accurate in this regard.

    Maybe if/when someone like Garmin comes up with full built-in maps for the Pre that'll make a big improvement in this sort of performance. I'll be 1st in line to buy something like that
    It's like any other all-in-one device, it's a trade off.

    I've yet to see any phone do as well for GPS as a quality receiver. Then again you're comparing spending a couple hundred for a phone/camera/gps/music/movies/internet/etc/etc/etc to spending a couple hundred for JUST GPS.

    My Pre will never take as good of pictures as my Nikon D70, nor would I expect it to. But often my Pre is "good enough" and instead of digging out my D70 I pop out my Pre and snap the photo.



    Your times sound fairly accurate to my experience. A minute for full GPS accuracy might be a bit on the long time, especially if you have cached GPS data, but it's not horrible either.
  3. #283  
    OK, Ebag333, I followed your instructions at the beginning of this thread. My Pre seems to have survived. It was fun! Thanks.

    But I have two questions:

    How did you find the information on enabling the GPS features? Is there some documentation somewhere? Did you work for/with Qualcomm?

    As you said, the Service Programming program appears very powerful, and seems to address every aspect of the Pre. Do you think there are other patches we can apply, to enable more Bluetooth function or to improve multimedia apps or . . . ?

    BTW, I did not need to talk to a technical rep to get my MSL code. It is apparently in my customer record, and any service agent should have access. I just called *2 and asked the first human that came on the line.
    Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
  4.    #284  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBears View Post
    How did you find the information on enabling the GPS features? Is there some documentation somewhere? Did you work for/with Qualcomm?
    No, I don't work for Qualcomm, Palm, or anyone else.

    It's something that's been done before, all I've done is shared it with the Treo 800w and Palm Pre folks.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoBears View Post
    As you said, the Service Programming program appears very powerful, and seems to address every aspect of the Pre. Do you think there are other patches we can apply, to enable more Bluetooth function or to improve multimedia apps or . . . ?
    Not really. 90% of what's in there is provisioning stuff. There's a few things such as GPS that can be tweaked, but not much.

    By the way, do not play with any of the sound volume settings. One or more of them (not sure which) will ruin your speakerphone and none seem to have any effect on any other sounds.
  5. #285  
    FWIW,

    I was able to get this working using a VMWare virtual machine running on my Macbook. The only additional caveat is to make sure to connect the Pre to the VM.

    I.e. Virtual Machine > USB > Connect Palm Pre.

    Other than that and the incorrect MSL that Sprint gave me the first time, things went pretty smoothly. YMMV.
    Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
  6. #286  
    I am having the exact same issue. I put it in diag mode, but forgot to send mpt x. I tried partial/full erase and nothing happens. So do I just connect device to computer via usb, load terminal and send command mpt x? Thanks in advance!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Be *very* careful with this; I did it, didn't know how to undo it, and was stuck without USB mode or being able (for some reason) to partial or full delete my Pre. FYI, the reversal command is mpt x; I've got USB mode back now, and will try webOS Quick Install too.

    Whew. {Jonathan}
  7. #287  
    diag qualcomm new version download
  8. #288  
    So I am a pre plus user -

    I called Verizon and asked for my SPC/MSL code. The first guy I got seemed to know what it was, spent a few minutes looking for it, then told me he was having PC troubles and had to transfer me. The second guy had never heard of them, so he spent some time looking for information, then told me that I would have to contact palm for such information.

    I told him a bit of a lie when I then replied that it was palm's developer information itself that told me to contact my service provider, and he tried to bluff his way through by telling me that can't be true.

    Of course, now I have this problem where Verizon doesn't seem like they will give me the code (through I am going to keep trying with different reps). Is there any other way to obtain the code from the phone itself?

    Thanks for your help,

    semibreve42
  9. #289  
    Follow these instructions from earlier in this thread. On my Bell Pre with WebOS 1.3.5.1 my MSL was found straddling rows 0x00A642C0 and 0x00A642D0. I found those addresses on some russian forum talking about the Sprint Pre, so if Bell and Sprint shared the same location for it I'm guessing that Verizon will too.
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

    PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
  10. #290  
    Quote Originally Posted by semibreve42 View Post
    So I am a pre plus user -

    I called Verizon and asked for my SPC/MSL code.
    Try six zeroes. "000000"
  11. #291  
    Thanks for the hint swinokur. Next question :-)

    What should I use for the four "PDE" settings for a Verizon Pre Plus? (IP address, port number, Transport, and Position calculation.

    Sorry if this has been answered before, I did a search for it + Verizon, and nothing came up.
    Last edited by semibreve42; 02/14/2010 at 06:23 PM.
  12. #292  
    Quote Originally Posted by semibreve42 View Post
    Thanks for the hint swinokur. Next question :-)

    What should I use for the four "PDE" settings for a Verizon Pre Plus? (IP address, port number, Transport, and Position calculation.
    Here is what I've used. I found it here:
    XDADeveloperWiki - Verizon AGPSFix

    PDE IP Address: 216.198.139.92
    PDE Port Number: 8889
    PDE Transport: IP
    Position Calculation: PDE

    Let me know if this works for you.

    (Has anyone heard anything "official" from VZ/Palm about the GPS weirdness on the Pre+? I'm seeing a lot of the same behaviour that others have mentioned.)

    Also: it would be really nice if there was a top-bar display tool that showed the "quality" of the GPS signal at a given moment. Or at least an app.
  13. #293  
    EBAG..ABOUT TO START THIS....In your first step you mention to connect phone to pc. Does the phone have to be in developer mode?
  14. #294  
    Developer Mode is a software-level "switch".

    This is hardware-level. They're totally unrelated.
  15. #295  
    No dice, unfortunately. I used the pde instructions you provided from that site, and was unable to get a GPS signal while in airplane mode, while outside in a field...

    Thanks for the help anyway - I will keep checking back to see if there are any new developments on the Verizon horizon (hahaha).
  16. #296  
    Quote Originally Posted by semibreve42 View Post
    No dice, unfortunately. I used the pde instructions you provided from that site, and was unable to get a GPS signal while in airplane mode, while outside in a field...

    Thanks for the help anyway - I will keep checking back to see if there are any new developments on the Verizon horizon (hahaha).
    Try starting VZNavigator, and then hitting the "decline" button when it asks if you want to buy. (I've noticed that ##GPS will not get a fix, and then i start and quit VZNavigator and then... it does.)

    Also remember that the PDE mode requires a 'net connection of some sort -- that's why there's an IP address. ;-)
  17. #297  
    I can't access mobile-files.com to get the drivers, would somebody be able to upload it please?
  18. #298  
    Michael... I just downloaded the driver linked to in the first post. It's not even on mobile-files.com, but it's an attachment to the post...
  19. nmjens's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    #299  
    Some notes from doing this on a Verizon Palm Pre Plus.....

    After finishing the tweak, I did a full reset with the phone in airplane mode (clearing the cache, I think) and performed a ##GPS#. I was unable to get a lock and received the GPS error. Frustrated, I was about to undo the changes when I remembered the problem with VZ Navigator. After starting and declining VZ Navigator (Actually it complained about being in airplane mode so I never actually got to decline) a ##GPS# locked on immediately.

    I think this shows that it can work on a Pre Plus, however, it also shows the issue with the GPS receiver being asleep until VZ Navigator is launched.

    Thanks for the tweak.
  20. #300  
    I was able to apply after I installed the 1.4 update. Still going strong.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions