Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    So this can easily be returned to factory settings without a service provider knowing for warranty purpose?
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bradley_80 View Post
    So this can easily be returned to factory settings without a service provider knowing for warranty purpose?
    In an instant.
    I've only installed the basics (Preware, Nav, etc) and I'm wondering if I'm capable of this and if its actually worth it. Sure I'd love better accuracy and faster times but I'm a little worried lol
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    It is really quite simple. Follow the instructions carefully and you should be ok. You will probably run into the driver id problem as you and I both have Bell Pre's. You will need to follow the instructions to edit the driver by doing a search and replace id numbers. Again, no big deal as the drivers are text files and can easily be edited like any document file and then saved.

I'm no tech either..

Try it, you will not regret it.
    curious to know from those who got this to work on their phones, how much, if any, does it affect your battery life? I suspect it shouldn't, but not sure if these settings disable the GPS from going to sleep again, or just enable the software to directly use GPS instead.

Also - why wouldn't Palm enable this? There must be a reason...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Then there's a problem somewhere outside of GPS itself.

Could be Verizon did something in the software to try and lock down the device. Would it be possible for you (or someone with a Pre Plus) to dump the file system and get it to me? I could diff the Sprint Pre to the Pre Plus and see if there are any differences that might explain it, it would help narrow it down to software vs hardware.
    How do I do a system dump?
    I'm curious as well, can anyone else share how to perform a system dump on the pre?
    yikes! I hope palm does something soon, it's not good when it starts hitting the news:

Is your Palm Pre Plus giving you wacky GPS performance?

http://www.i4u.com/article30446.html

http://www.electronista.com/articles....fix.in.sight/

... and more
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    curious to know from those who got this to work on their phones, how much, if any, does it affect your battery life? I suspect it shouldn't, but not sure if these settings disable the GPS from going to sleep again, or just enable the software to directly use GPS instead.
    I have noticed no affected battery life, whatsoever. Only better accuracy, speed, etc...

Also - why wouldn't Palm enable this? There must be a reason...
    Palm wouldn't enable this by default, because then people could use the GPS without Sprint... and that's not what Sprint wants, since these are really Sprint's [and now Verizon's] phones that are being sold to us. Palm wants to enable all the GPS features, but exclusivity means that they get more $$$ to disable the GPS features that don't require a service provider.

Quote Originally Posted by cheifkeiff View Post
    That's a really good question. I'd be surprised if anybody here actually knew how to do that.
    yikes! I hope palm does something soon, it's not good when it starts hitting the news:

Is your Palm Pre Plus giving you wacky GPS performance?

The Pre Plus May Have GPS Issues

Palm Pre Plus suffering from GPS issues? | Electronista

... and more
    ~sigh~ I'm willing to bet the phone itself is just an innocent victim to corporate bureaucracy just like has happened with our Bell Canada Pre's GPS..

Not that it matters though, people don't care what is causing the problem, just that there IS a problem but at the end of the day it will be the Palm Pre that gets all the lousy press for being a "buggy phone"
    Quote Originally Posted by RUB View Post
    From an inside Garmin advisor, I heard today they may be releasing a down loadable version of their XT that would be compatible with the Palm Pre. This XT would be similar to the TomTom Nav 6 as used on the Palm Treo series. My contact believes it would work with the Palm Pre internal GPS. No more missing maps from missing cell towers!! Maps will include USA & EU. Ck with Garmin !
    best news.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RUB View Post
    From an inside Garmin advisor, I heard today they may be releasing a down loadable version of their XT that would be compatible with the Palm Pre. This XT would be similar to the TomTom Nav 6 as used on the Palm Treo series. My contact believes it would work with the Palm Pre internal GPS. No more missing maps from missing cell towers!! Maps will include USA & EU. Ck with Garmin !
    Any ETA? This would be amazing....count me in.
  13.    #273  
    Quote Originally Posted by cheifkeiff View Post
    I'm curious as well, can anyone else share how to perform a system dump on the pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    That's a really good question. I'd be surprised if anybody here actually knew how to do that.
    In order to do a file system dump you'd need to be fairly familiar with how to browse around the Linux file system. If you're not at that level, then you can certainly get there but it's a little on the complex side.

If someone needs help with specific files to get, or where to find them, I can get you a list.
    Regarding the dump, I actually have quite a bit of experience with linux - but had no idea you were referring to a dump that way. So I'm assuming now, that by dump you mean in the actual kernel, and not through the UI... hmm interesting.
    Last edited by sf_basilix; 02/02/2010 at 09:57 PM.
  15.    #275  
    Regarding the dump, I actually have quite a bit of experience with linux - but had no idea you were referring to a dump that way. So I'm assuming now, that by dump you mean in the actual kernel, and not through the UI... hmm interesting.
    Not quite. All I care about is the file system, especially the various modules. For example /usr/palm/applications/ holds a bunch of the apps.

/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/ looks to hold most of the services, including the location service.

Heck, you could just copy the whole /usr/ directory to your USB drive (/media/internal/), then switch to USB mode, grab it off there, zip it, and mail it.

Only tool you need is Novaterm, or another terminal app.
    Interesting... I thought you were talking about a "kernel core dump", actually. I've only heard a college teacher speak of it one time, but I wasn't quite sure what he was talking about. And he honestly didn't know how to go about getting a core dump either. You have to be able to crash the kernel and have some other shiz installed alongside it.

But that's a bit OT for this thread, I'd say.
    Ok well, I finally got my MSL code for my Bell Canada Pre (actually was quite easy ).. I went through the tweak steps and.. darn if my GPS accuracy actually took a slip downhill I'm in Ontario Canada, maybe the area (Bell) reception took a trip back in the toilet again? Or, did I miss something? I checked off all the GPS boxes as listed in the page 1 instructions.. Help?
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Strange. Try disabling Google Services in the loacation services preference menu.
    Yeah thanks Quintus I tried that. With Google services enabled the GPS is really bad.. with it OFF then it just slightly bad (lol)

I'm gonna fiddle with it to & from work tomorrow, give it a shot at the outside sky for a while maybe that'll wake it up. If not maybe I'll try fiddling with the check boxes.

Question.. now that my Pre is tweaked,, all I need to do to revisit the settings is
    1) connect Pre to computer
    2) enable DIAG port in USB passthrough
    3) fire up QPST Service Programming, & go thru the settings. Then
    4) disable DIAG in USB passthrough
    5) reboot.

Close enough?
  20.    #280  
    How long are you waiting after you get a position?

My experience is that it will get a location quickly, but it will be very inaccurate as it's using tower triangulation. Give it 20-30 seconds (maybe longer if you're in a poor GPS location) and the accuracy will quickly go up.