Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #201  
    Okay, this seems messed up to me.

So the USB Passthrough has it's own app (com.palm.usbpassthrough) that I managed to pull off the Pre. The relevant section of code is:

Code:
    validateCode: function () {
    	try {
    		var codeV = this.controller.get('codeField').mojo.getValue();
    		Mojo.Log.info("validateCode(): Code: " + codeV);
    		if (!codeV || codeV.length < 5 || codeV.length > 5 || !this.serialNumber) {
    			$('waitZone').style.left = '20px';
    			$('waitZone').innerHTML = "<b>Invalid Authorization Code entered.</b><br/>Please obtain a valid code from your Palm representative.";
    		} else {
    			var codeTempRequest = this.controller.serviceRequest('palm://com.palm.logctld', {
    				method: 'validate',
    				parameters: {
    					"code": codeV,
    					"sn": this.serialNumber
    				},
    				onSuccess: function(result){
    					this.controller.cancelServiceRequest(codeTempRequest);
    					this.stopSpinner();
    					$('waitZone').innerHTML = "";
    					$('waitZone').style.display = 'none';
    					$('entryGroup').style.display = 'none';
    					$('masterGroup').style.display = 'none'; // show 
    					$('menuGroup').style.display = 'block'; // show menu
    					this.isActivationFile = true;
    					this.saveMslCookie (codeV);
    					this.getPassthroughMode();
    				}.bind(this),
    				onFailure: function(result){
    					this.controller.cancelServiceRequest(codeTempRequest);
    					this.isActivationFile = false;
    					this.stopSpinner();
    					$('masterGroup').style.display = 'none'; // hide 
    					$('menuGroup').style.display = 'none'; // show menu
    					Mojo.Log.error("validateCode Failed: " + result.errorText + " #" + result.errorCode + ", code: " + codeV + ", sn: " + this.serialNumber);
    					$('waitZone').style.left = '20px';
    					$('waitZone').innerHTML = 
    						(result.errorCode && (result.errorCode == -9  || result.errorCode == -1) ?
    							"<b>Invalid Authorization Code entered.</b>" :
    							"<b>Unexpected error: " + result.errorText + "</b>")
    						+ "<br/>Please obtain a valid code from your Palm representative.";
    				}.bind(this)
    			});
    		}
    	} catch (e) {
    		Mojo.Log.error ("main.validateCode(): exception: " + e)
    	}

},

The part we really care about is:

Code:
    codeV is the value you enter. this.serialNumber is actually your serial number.

Hmm...how to fix that.....is for another day.
    Last edited by Ebag333; 12/29/2009 at 09:36 PM.
    edit nvm:

**my auto-locate GPS was turned off, turned it on now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Okay, this seems messed up to me.

So the USB Passthrough has it's own app (com.palm.usbpassthrough) that I managed to pull off the Pre. The relevant section of code is:

The part we really care about is:

Code:
    codeV is the value you enter. this.serialNumber is actually your serial number.

Hmm...how to fix that.....is for another day.
    Hmm, yeah, my serial number seems to be too long to enter.
    Okay, easiest way to do this now (I think), assuming you have Terminal and the Terminal Service loaded already on your Pre and are otherwise familiar with the procedure using QPST:

1) Connect your Pre (already in Dev Mode) to the computer on which you've already loaded QPST (see parent post of thread) with a microUSB cable
    2) Launch Terminal on your Pre
    3) Type "mpt d" without the quotes and hit return; that switches to diagnostic mode
    4) Launch QPST and follow the instructions in the parent post to re-enable the various GPS features
    5) After closing QPST, go back to Terminal, and type "mpt x" without the quotes and hit return to reset the USB port to the normal settings.

That (should) do it. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    1.3.5 did remove the checkmarks from all but the default settings.
  6.    #206  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Okay, easiest way to do this now (I think), assuming you have Terminal and the Terminal Service loaded already on your Pre and are otherwise familiar with the procedure using QPST:

1) Connect your Pre (already in Dev Mode) to the computer on which you've already loaded QPST (see parent post of thread) with a microUSB cable
    3) Type "mpt d" without the quotes and hit return; that switches to diagnostic mode
    4) Launch QPST and follow the instructions in the parent post to re-enable the various GPS features
    5) After closing QPST, go back to Terminal, and type "mpt x" without the quotes and hit return to reset the USB port to the normal settings.

Yup, that's the way I fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    1.3.5 did remove the checkmarks from all but the default settings.
    Confirmed here as well.
    This all still can't technically work with a 64 bit computer, right? There needs to be 64 bit diagnostic drivers for this to work. Am I understanding that this is still the case and being able to launch terminal has nothing to do with connecting through QPST?
  8.    #208  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    This all still can't technically work with a 64 bit computer, right? There needs to be 64 bit diagnostic drivers for this to work. Am I understanding that this is still the case and being able to launch terminal has nothing to do with connecting through QPST?
    Correct, unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Correct, unfortunately.
    I figured and after rereading step 4 again I realized my question was almost rhetorical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post

Yeah, definitely will do it that way after I webOS Doctor it. Stupidly, I switched it with mpt without Terminal installed.

Ah well, I'll deal with that when I get back from my vacation, just was hoping someone would come up with an easier solution in the meantime.
  11.    #211  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yeah, definitely will do it that way after I webOS Doctor it. Stupidly, I switched it with mpt without Terminal installed.

Ah well, I'll deal with that when I get back from my vacation, just was hoping someone would come up with an easier solution in the meantime.
    What about putting your Pre into USB recovery mode? Does Novaterm connect then?

This method, while cumbersome, does work. Unfortunately you need to have Terminal installed or use Novaterm.

1. Download usbpassthrough-assistant.jsjsjs $at$ $the$ $bottom$.
    2. Put your Pre into USB mode.
    3. Copy usbpassthrough-assistant.jsjsjs $to$ $your$ $Downloads$ $folder$.
    4. Via Terminal or Novaterm, enter the following command:
      mount -o remount,rw /
    5. Via Terminal or Novaterm, enter the following command:
      cp -f /media/internal/downloads/usbpassthrough-assistant.jsjsjs /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$usbpassthrough$/$app$/$controllers$
    6. Launch ##USBPASS# and use as normal.

Maybe someone can put that into a patch....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Unfortunately, when in Novaterm using the USB recovery mode (I assume you mean when you hold down the volume up while plugging in the cord), many commands just tell you not found.

I'll have to use webOS Doctor when I'm back in the country (can't do it now without actual cell service), shouldnt be too big a deal since other than this, I'm entirely stock. I'd just suggest a big warning in the first post to not use the mpt command without terminal installed or without modifying that file beforehand.

No big deal though. I still very much appreciate that I was at least able to get standalone back on (like I said, not in the country right now, so without that I'd have no GPS access at all).
  13.    #213  
    I've attached an updated version of Palm's USB Passthrough program.

Changes:

1) Shows up as an icon in the launcher.
    2) Doesn't require a passcode (just hit validate).

To Install:

1) Download .ZIP.
    2) Unzip.
    3) Install via WebOS Quick Install (Drag and drop, then hit install).

Update: See the patch thread found here for an easier solution.
    Last edited by Ebag333; 01/10/2010 at 04:27 PM.
    "Windows needs to install driver software for your Reduced CDC Abstract Control Module (R-ACM)"

I have never seen this message before.

I tried installing the USB passthrough program from Ebag above, it appeared to have installed successfully but I see no icon in the launcher, and it still requires a passcode in passthrough mode.

Any suggestions?

How would I remove that USBpassthrough program? I feel like my pre is godawful slow now after installing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonaddis84 View Post
    "Windows needs to install driver software for your Reduced CDC Abstract Control Module (R-ACM)"

I have never seen this message before.

I tried installing the USB passthrough program from Ebag above, it appeared to have installed successfully but I see no icon in the launcher, and it still requires a passcode in passthrough mode.

Any suggestions?

How would I remove that USBpassthrough program? I feel like my pre is godawful slow now after installing it.
    I also tried installing via webOSQI but same results - didn't show up in the launcher and the pword was still required...and the phone seemed to slow down a bit and stutter occasionally. So I opened up Preware and it showed up in my list of installed applications, so I could remove it via Preware. I tried the copy & paste terminal method above and it worked great. However now I'm in QPST and trying to "read from phone" and it's asking me for my phone's programming service code. So even though I could get this far without it, I still need it to be able to modify GPS settings. So close and yet so far...
    your phone's programming code is your msl code that you can get from sprint cs. Just tell them palm is telling you you need it to do a hard reset and they will give it to you, at least that is how I got mine.
    Thanks. So I didn't feel like waiting until 10am for Sprint CS to open up and ended up doing it the hard way, found both my one-time-use SPC and also my MSL in a couple of the Pre's memory addresses between 0x00A50000 AND 0x00A70000. Gotta love phone tools, hex editors and forums. More specifically:

My MSL memory address: 0x00A642C0 and 0x00A642D0

This was only tested and verified on my phone and no one else's, and I have no idea if this is consistent from phone to phone even on the same webOS version, but thought I would post it here just in case someone else was looking for this. Currently I am running webOS 1.3.5.

Edit: also forgot to mention I was able to successfully update my GPS settings per ebag's instructions.
    Last edited by intlbeans; 01/03/2010 at 05:09 AM.
    So I'm trying out my new more powerful GPS on my Pre and I'm amazed at how fast and accurate it is now. It keeps track of me perfectly now in places where it would flake out in tbe past. So besides concerns about battery life maybe, or lack of time to test and build it into the OS, does anybody know why Palm wouldn't want to include this by default?
    Quote Originally Posted by intlbeans View Post
    So I'm trying out my new more powerful GPS on my Pre and I'm amazed at how fast and accurate it is now. It keeps track of me perfectly now in places where it would flake out in tbe past. So besides concerns about battery life maybe, or lack of time to test and build it into the OS, does anybody know why Palm wouldn't want to include this by default?
    One would tend to believe that that was a decision made by Sprint and not Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    One would tend to believe that that was a decision made by Sprint and not Palm.
    I see what you mean, especially since it seems like all the functionality we're messing with here is baked into the hardware. BTW I clicked the meta-doctor link on your sig and I was very impressed with the guide you created there, nice work. I have no need to do so atm but it almost made me want to give it a try. You should change the virtualbox part to a dual-boot install though, ubuntu/linux could always use a broader user base