Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonolee View Post
    WebOS handles forwarded messages perfectly (i.e., it does not reformat the forwarded text), but I haven't had any luck replicating this behavior on replies.
    Jonolee: For me at least, when forwarding an email in Exchange the original is sent as an attachment, which I don't consider normal behavior. (See my message #111 in this thread.) Are you not seeing the same thing? Perhaps the problem is on my end.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphoney View Post
    Jonolee: For me at least, when forwarding an email in Exchange the original is sent as an attachment, which I don't consider normal behavior. (See my message #111 in this thread.) Are you not seeing the same thing? Perhaps the problem is on my end.
    Unfortunately (or fortunately, I guess), I'm not seeing this issue. I don't know what might be causing this. Sorry.
    Last edited by Jonolee; 01/06/2010 at 07:12 PM.

We're almost there. I just wish I could figure out how to prevent replies from reformatting the original text. WebOS handles forwarded messages perfectly (i.e., it does not reformat the forwarded text), but I haven't had any luck replicating this behavior on replies.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple. Any advice?
    OK, I think I finally figured it out (thanks to mileno and Tikerz's posts here). Mike_pre, you were going down the right path, we needed to enable SmartReply, but we also needed to change a couple of lines in compose-assistant as well to prevent the duplicates. I think everything's finally working.

Anyone care to test the attached files?

EDIT: updated patch for this can be found here.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jonolee; 01/07/2010 at 04:06 PM.
    Good news. It appears we've got Palm's attention (see this post).

FYI, portions of my email response to Palm's request follow (attachments/links omitted), with examples of the problems we've encountered along with examples of our patch containing our proposed fixes (hopefully I've accurately summarized all of our concerns):

Thanks again for being willing to look into this issue. Per your request, I've created and sent a log file to your designated address. Also, in order to help, I've identified below some of the issues that WebOS users are currently having:

1. The font size in the body of email replies is grossly exaggerated, nearly two times the size of Outlook's default font. See attached email labeled "Pre & Exchange Access" as an example.
    2. Email replies reformat the text of all other preceding emails in an email Exchange, often with very poor results. In particular, the font color of all preceding emails is changed to a blue 12 pt. Times New Roman font (even if, for example, the original email was drafted using a black 11 pt. Calibri font [which, incidentally, is Outlook's default font, so it is the most widely used]). For an example of this, compare the attached file "Testing font on stock Pre" (which was drafted using a black 11 pt. Calibri font) with "RE: reply from stock Pre" (which was a response to "Testing font on stock Pre" sent from a stock Palm Pre). Notice that the original email text has been changed to blue 12 pt. Times Roman.
    3. Email replies insert the language "John Smith wrote:" in large, blue letters in the email header. This is different from forward emails sent from the Pre, which display the "From", "Date", "Subject", and "To" language that is more customary. Compare the file "RE: reply from stock Pre" with "This is a forward from a stock Pre" for an example.
    4. While the headers in email forwards display "From", "Date", "Subject", and "To", as is more customary, the font size in this header is grossly exaggerated. See "This is a forward from a stock Pre" as an example.
    5. While the headers in email forwards display "From", "Date", "Subject", and "To" (in that order), Outlook typically displays "From", "Sent", "To", and "Subject" (in that order). Compare "This is a forward from a stock Pre" with "Reply from Outlook 2007."
    6. The headers in email forwards display the display name and the address of all recipients. Outlook only displays the display name. Compare "This is a forward from a stock Pre" with "Reply from Outlook 2007."
    7. The headers in email forwards merely display the short form of dates. Outlook displays the long form. Compare "This is a forward from a stock Pre" (which lists the date as "Jan 6, 2010 9:26 PM) with "Reply from Outlook 2007" (which lists the date as Wednesday, January 06, 2010 9:26 PM).

I understand that Palm may not be interested in fixing all of these items, but thanks for taking a look at what Outlook users have been struggling with (see threads here, here, here, here, and here [lots of Precentral threads] as examples -- the combined view total of which exceeds 10,000 views). While these changes may seem trivial, they are critical in professional environments where appearance is very important.

Please note that we (Precentral users) have found fixes for many, if not all, of the issues I have identified above (see the attached email labeled "Re: Testing font w/ patch applied", which was a reply email sent from a patched Pre). In fact, I've attached copies of the patch that we have created ("1.3.5.1; Email Fix.zip" for your reference). I've also attached redlined documents that highlight the changes made in our patch for ease of reference.

Many thanks again for your help.
    Last edited by Jonolee; 01/06/2010 at 11:37 PM.
    Jonolee,

What an awesome summary and great write-up, complete with examples and everything. It brings to light all of the issues we have seen and have come up with workarounds that we have to keep removing and reapplying when they come up with new webOS releases.
    I look forward to see what the reply (if any) comes back.

Mike
    Thanks Mike. You and others here have been a huge help on this issue. I'm hopeful we'll see some progress soon.

Jono
    OK, I think I finally figured it out (thanks to mileno and Tikerz's posts here). Mike_pre, you were going down the right path, we needed to enable SmartReply, but we also needed to change a couple of lines in compose-assistant as well to prevent the duplicates. I think everything's finally working.

Anyone care to test the attached files?
    Thanks, Jonolee. You're very close to duplicating the Outlook 2007 reply formatting. The one thing I see that is still different with the latest updates you've made is that the from;sent;to;subject font is coming up as Times New Roman 12 instead of Callibri 11.

Glad to see that Palm is finally taking notice of the need to fix this.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beavis10 View Post
    The one thing I see that is still different with the latest updates you've made is that the from;sent;to;subject font is coming up as Times New Roman 12 instead of Callibri 11.
    The fix for this is....

In Email.jsjsjs, $line$ $385$, $replace$ $this$:
    Email.kReplyForwardSetupElems = Email.kSignaturePlaceholder + "<hr align='left' style='width:75%'/>";

with this:
    Email.kReplyForwardSetupElems = "<span style='font-family:Prelude, Calibri, san-serif; font-size:15px'>" + Email.kSignaturePlaceholder + "<hr align='left' style='width:75%'/>";

I have no idea how to make a patch tho...
    Thanks, Flur! That fixes the font, but now replies don't automatically send. They sit in the outbox until I manually press the sync button or until a sync is initiated by a new message coming in. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by beavis10 View Post
    Thanks, Flur! That fixes the font, but now replies don't automatically send. They sit in the outbox until I manually press the sync button or until a sync is initiated by a new message coming in. Any ideas?
    Thanks Flur. That fixes it on my end. And thanks beavis10 for catching that. I don't seem to have the syncing problem on my end. Maybe try my latest version of files (attached)?

EDIT: updated patch for this can be found here.
    Last edited by Jonolee; 01/07/2010 at 04:06 PM.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Any chance we can get a patch that will change the font size in an email created new from the pre? Each time I send a new email from the Pre, the body of the email comes through as Veranda 12 & the signature is Ariel 7.
    ***EDIT: This patch ONLY works with Exchange 2007. If you use Exchange 2003 or earlier, please use the "Email Replies/Forwards Multi-Mod" patch in this post.***

This patch for 1.3.5.1 modifies the formatting of email replies and forwards sent from WebOS devices so that they mimic the formatting used in Outlook 2007. Changes include:

1) Changes font size to 11 pt. Calibri, navy.
    2) Replaces the "John Smith wrote:" text with the "From", "Sent", "To", and "Subject" language used in Outlook 2007 (and in the correct order).
    3) Formats email headers to 11 pt. Calibri font.
    4) Uses the long form for dates in "Sent" field (e.g., Wednesday, January 06, 2010 9:26 pm).
    5) Enables SmartReply, which refrains from reformatting the original text in replies/forwards.

Thanks to everyone for their help. We'll try to submit this to Preware soon.

Enjoy!

EDIT: uploaded updated version. I recommend performing a full restart after installing patch, which seems to correct the sync issue some are having.
    Last edited by Jonolee; 01/25/2010 at 05:48 PM.
    Jono, I dont know if its just me, but I installed this on my emulator and tried to reply to an email from outlook using another outlook account, and its stuck in my outbox on my pre....Even after a forced sync....I am about to try it on my actual pre right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_pre View Post
    Jono, I dont know if its just me, but I installed this on my emulator and tried to reply to an email from outlook using another outlook account, and its stuck in my outbox on my pre....Even after a forced sync....I am about to try it on my actual pre right now.
    + 1 same here. Removed and all works ok.

A bit off topic but when composing a new email with the the "landscape email" patch, should the compose new email card come up in landscape? Mine comes up in portrait
    I like the way this works...I'm not on Exchange, but I'm accustomed to the Outlook formatting...

I tested it with my gmail acc't to my Outlook acc't @ work...

Everything was great except the previous message body was removed when replying to emails.

Is this normal behavior I'm not aware of in webOS...

Anyhow, I appreciate your work!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_pre View Post
    Yikes, that's not good. I've been using it for most of today and last night without any problems. Wonder what's causing that.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphoney View Post
    smartphoney - I am having the same behavior -- I use Exchange 2003. How about you? Jonolee - what version of Exchange are you using?

Thanks for all of your hard work on this!
    Yikes, that's not good. I've been using it for most of today and last night without any problems. Wonder what's causing that.
    EDIT: OK, I think I joined the patched files incorrectly the first time. I've added an updated version to my post above.
    Last edited by Jonolee; 01/07/2010 at 06:26 PM.
    OK, I think there must be an issue with the way I joined the two patched files. Anyone care to apply the patches separately (attached below)? They seem to work OK on my Pre when applied separately.
    It appears the orignal patch didn't this line:

Code:
    --- /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/models/Email.jsjsjs
    Quote Originally Posted by xanthinealkaloid View Post
    It appears the orignal patch didn't this line:

Code:
    --- /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/models/Email.jsjsjs
    Thanks. I've updated the patch above. Let me know if it works OK for you now.