Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Here are 2 versions of the patch, I have given Jonolee the credit on the modification of files and me for creating the patches themselves. Yes, I use the Unified Diff Creator, I got around the hunk errors a little while ago.

There are two versions, 1 with the default navy font that Pre defaults to and one with a Black color on the font, choose which one you want.

I have posted them on the Patches forum that I had created for the 1st release from Jonolee...IT can be found here:

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...32#post2114532

Mike
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I seem to be having a conflict between this patch and the email landscape patch. Jonolee or mike_pre, can either of you tell me what was changed in the compose_assistant.jsjsjs $file$? $I$'$m$ $thinking$ $maybe$ $I$ $can$ $load$ $the$ $landscape$ $patch$ $and$ $then$ $apply$ $the$ $changes$ $for$ $this$ $patch$ $manually$.

Thanks!
    I have both of those patches installed on my Pre. Is is possible you also have the replies black font installed, that will cause an issue with that one being installed. Open the .patch file in a text editor, you will see the changes at the top that are being made to the compose_assitant.jsjsjs $file$
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Mike,

I used the files posted by Jonolee and made a few changes to the email.jsjsjs $file$ $based$ $on$ $my$ $personal$ $preferences$ ($one$ $of$ $those$ $is$ $removing$ $the$ $navy$ $font$). $I$ $sent$ $the$ $compose_assistant$.$js$ $file$ $to$ $the$ $pre$ $exactly$ $as$ $Jonolee$ $posted$ $it$. $The$ $landscape$ $patch$ $is$ $erroring$ $out$ $on$ $the$ $compose$-$assistant$.$js$ $file$, $so$ $I$ $would$ *$think$* $that$'$s$ $the$ $file$ $with$ $the$ $issue$ $and$ $the$ $changes$ $I$ $made$ $to$ $the$ $email$.$js$ $file$ $aren$'$t$ $part$ $of$ $the$ $issue$, $but$ $I$'$ve$ $been$ $wrong$ $before$.

Are the changes in your patch the same as those in Jonolee's file? Do you have any ideas what I should do to resolve? I'd love to be able to have the landscape patch AND the font-size changes with my customizations, if at all possible.
    I know that if you change the font from navy to black on your own, then the patch i created using Jonolee's modified files will not work. I would recommend that you restore the file from the webos doctor, and then apply the two patches. I am running both of them without any issues. If you modify files outside of the patches there is a good chance that the patches will not apply correctly. If you want send me an email at rizmail at gmail.com and include the copy of the compose-assistant.jsjsjs $that$ $is$ $installed$ $on$ $your$ $pre$ $and$ $I$ $can$ $take$ $a$ $look$ $at$ $it$.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Jonolee and mike_pre - First thank you so much for writing this patch and making it available via WebOS QuickInstall/Preware!!! Since you both seem to share the goal of wanting replies/forwards to look the same as Outlook creates them, would you please consider updating the code to have the field names and order match. Currently you have From, Date, Subject, To, CC. Outlook uses From, Sent, To, CC, Subject. I have made the changes for my own Pre, but obviously it would be more convenient if these changes were in the "official" patch.

Someone else mentioned only using the Display Name in the To and CC fields rather than Display Name + Email address. I am also in favor of this, because like everyone on this thread, we want it to match Outlook as close as possible. <update> I do not see how changing to just the display name could be done without possibly screwing the actual recipients of the reply/forward. </update>

Thanks again!!!
    Last edited by kbohman; 01/05/2010 at 11:43 AM. Reason: I think my request about the display name is not as easy as the request in the first paragraph.
    I have an updated one that has the proper format for Outlook with the changes you mentioned above. I need to submit it to Preware today when I get a chance. It does not have the second request that you have there, have to look into that as well, but it ends up looking like this right now, if there were a CC it would appear below the To.

Sent: Dec 28, 2009 7:57 PM
    To: ri***@gmail.com
    Subject: Replies Forwards Multi Mod

I am also not sure about what font to make the reply, in Outlook the default reply is in Navy and not black, so I am thinking I will return it back to the default of Navy to keep it closer to Outlook.
    I wish it'd just use plaintext. Or at least give us the option. HTML mail, especially when the end user isn't using it to actually mark up anything, is stupid. More stupid is when sharing links, etc, the text/plain part of the multipart message that is sent DOESN'T CONTAIN THE URL, but just the title text of the page in question. That's helpful. /s
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_pre View Post
    I have an updated one that has the proper format for Outlook with the changes you mentioned above. I need to submit it to Preware today when I get a chance. It does not have the second request that you have there, have to look into that as well, but it ends up looking like this right now, if there were a CC it would appear below the To.

Sent: Dec 28, 2009 7:57 PM
    To: ri***@gmail.com
    Subject: Replies Forwards Multi Mod

I am also not sure about what font to make the reply, in Outlook the default reply is in Navy and not black, so I am thinking I will return it back to the default of Navy to keep it closer to Outlook.

Thanks for the quick turnaround!

WebOS has a bug in the way it handles reply font color: it changes all of the text, including the original message, to navy. This is not how Outlook or any other email client does it. I called Palm about this back with version 1.1, they reproduced the issue, and claimed it would be fixed. (As I recall, the issue occurs with Exchange 2003, not Exchange 2007.) Until this is fixed, I think the font color should stay black to ensure the patch is beneficial to Exchange 2003 users and anyone else affected by the issue.
    Ok, I will leave it as Black then for now. I do not have the files with me currently, it will have to wait till tonight when I get to my home PC with all the modified files...Look for an update tonight or early AM tomorrow.
    Thanks to Jonolee and mike_pre for their continued hard work on the font issue. This may be the wrong place to raise this other issue but I know that there are many Pre email gurus keeping an eye on this thread so here goes. When I forward an email received on my Pre in my Exchange account, the original message is forwarded as an attachment rather than inline. Has anyone else noticed this issue? Perhaps it's related to an Exchange setting on my end. Do not mean to hijack this thread but couldn't find the answer elsewhere when I searched.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbohman View Post
    Someone else mentioned only using the Display Name in the To and CC fields rather than Display Name + Email address. I am also in favor of this, because like everyone on this thread, we want it to match Outlook as close as possible. <update> I do not see how changing to just the display name could be done without possibly screwing the actual recipients of the reply/forward. </update>

Thanks again!!!
    EDIT: Think I found a fix for this. See files in post #118 below.
    Last edited by Jonolee; 01/06/2010 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Discovered fix
    Quote Originally Posted by kbohman View Post
    Thanks for the quick turnaround!

WebOS has a bug in the way it handles reply font color: it changes all of the text, including the original message, to navy. This is not how Outlook or any other email client does it. I called Palm about this back with version 1.1, they reproduced the issue, and claimed it would be fixed. (As I recall, the issue occurs with Exchange 2003, not Exchange 2007.) Until this is fixed, I think the font color should stay black to ensure the patch is beneficial to Exchange 2003 users and anyone else affected by the issue.
    While this was the case pre-1.3.5, I think I figured out a way around this in 1.3.5. Try the attached files to see what I mean. I also edited the order of the "From", "Sent", "To", and "Subject" fields as you suggested.

EDIT: updated patch for this can be found here.
    Last edited by Jonolee; 01/07/2010 at 04:07 PM.
    Here is the patch file that includes what I think are all the changes that have been discussed with one addition, I enabled quick reply for Exchange accounts, there are other threads that were asking about this. Let me know if this looks good, I am also submitting it to WebOS to get it on preware.
    Thanks, mike_pre. Unfortunately, it looks like this patch accidentally duplicates the original text in the reply (unless that's just an error on my phone alone). Otherwise, looks great.
    Odd, I compared the compose-assistant files and they are identical, and then when I compared the email file, the only difference is this line:
    //params.replyMessage = this.id;
    In my patch I have uncommented this out, which I thought was the way to enable the quick Replay in Exchange. Let me run some tests here and see what I can figure out.
    I was seeing some serious issues with the latest version and I am sorry if it hosed anyone else up, I just checked and I as not seeing duplicate text, but the issue I was seeing, was NO text. The message was sitting in the outbox on the Pre and not being sent if it was an EAS account. I have tested this version on both Exchange and Gmail accounts and it looks to be good to go. Please give it a test and let me know if anyone else sees any issues or would like any other tweaks to it.

The files that are being patched are 100% identical, using a diff, to the ones Jonolee posted earlier today.
    I was seeing some serious issues with the latest version and I am sorry if it hosed anyone else up, I just checked and I as not seeing duplicate text, but the issue I was seeing, was NO text. The message was sitting in the outbox on the Pre and not being sent if it was an EAS account. I have tested this version on both Exchange and Gmail accounts and it looks to be good to go. Please give it a test and let me know if anyone else sees any issues or would like any other tweaks to it.

The files that are being patched are 100% identical, using a diff, to the ones Jonolee posted earlier today.
    No problem at all. Thanks for your help. I just tried the patch and everything seems to be working fine on my end. Thanks.

BTW, I think I finally figured out how to only display the display name (as opposed to the display name + <email address>) in the "To", "From", and "Cc" fields. See attached files.

We're almost there. I just wish I could figure out how to prevent replies from reformatting the original text. WebOS handles forwarded messages perfectly (i.e., it does not reformat the forwarded text), but I haven't had any luck replicating this behavior on replies.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple. Any advice?

EDIT: updated patch for this can be found here.
    Last edited by Jonolee; 01/07/2010 at 04:07 PM.
    I will look at it tonight, and produce another version of the patch, and then hopefully one last version if we can ever figure out why the formatting is changing on the Reply and not the Fwd....Sure would be nice if Palm was reading these forums and looking at the 161 patches that people have created and start incorporating them...it sure is a good thing we can modify these files, otherwise I think my pre would of become extinct a few weeks after I bought it...
    I will look at it tonight, and produce another version of the patch, and then hopefully one last version if we can ever figure out why the formatting is changing on the Reply and not the Fwd....Sure would be nice if Palm was reading these forums and looking at the 161 patches that people have created and start incorporating them...it sure is a good thing we can modify these files, otherwise I think my pre would of become extinct a few weeks after I bought it...
    Thanks. I hear you. It's not like non-corporate email users care. They're happy with just about anything. So then why not use proper corporate email formatting? Like you, I hope Palm is paying attention. We're at over 7,000 views on this thread alone.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast