Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    ***EDIT: This fix is for WebOS 1.3.1. For an updated patch that works with 1.3.5.1, go here.****

OK, here's a fix that works with 1.31. I also figured out how to remove the "John Smith wrote" text and replace it with the typical "From: ... To: ..." language that Outlook displays.

As with before, to install this fix, place your Pre in developer mode, unzip the two attached files, and then use WebOSQuickInstall to send (by selecting "Tools" then "Send file" in WOSQI) the unzipped files to the following locations on your Pre as follows:

1. for email.jsjsjs -- $send$ $file$ $to$: /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$models$
    2. for compose-assistant.jsjsjs -- $send$ $file$ $to$: /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$

Once you've sent these files to your Pre, restart Luna (using the "Restart Luna" button on the "Tweaks" page of WOSQI), and you should be good to go.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jonolee; 01/07/2010 at 04:51 PM.
    jonolee: whats the difference between this patch and the previous?

Previous one works fine for me in 1.3.1
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post

Strange that it works for you in 1.3.1. Are you sure? For me (and apparently others) it reverted back to the large ugly unprofessional font. Trying Jonolee's new patch now.
    yes, works fine here...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonolee View Post
    OK, here's a patch that works with 1.31. I also figured out how to remove the tacky "John Smith wrote" text and replace it with the typical "From: ..., To: ..." language that Outlook displays.
    Jonolee: I've installed the new patch and it seems to work well except for one small issue. For me, at least, all new emails are typed in blue. I think this is normal behavior for a reply email but not for a new email, which I think should be in black. Other than that it seems to work well, including your "From/To" tweak. By the way, the "John Smith wrote" approach is the default in certain email clients other than Outlook (such as Thunderbird for example) so that issue didn't bother me too much but I can see how it would bother someone who hadn't ever seen it before.

Glad to hear the previous version still works for you. Since Palm made some changes to their email files in 1.31, I wanted to make sure that I didn't mess up any functionality they added or modified, so I thought it would be better to start fresh with the 1.31 files.

As far as differences b/w this version and the previous version: not much. The "John Smith wrote" language has been replaced with the "From: ... To: ..." header typically used by Outlook. Other than that, they're pretty similar.
    hmm now I wonder if I should update just to be safe

edit: oh well, just updated to be safe
    Last edited by trim81; 11/15/2009 at 10:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphoney View Post
    Jonolee: I've installed the new patch and it seems to work well except for one small issue. For me, at least, all new emails are typed in blue. I think this is normal behavior for a reply email but not for a new email, which I think should be in black. Other than that it seems to work well, including your "From/To" tweak.
    Hmm, don't know why it's doing that. I'll have to take a look.

EDIT: I think I figured out what I did wrong. I've updated the patch (included in original post above) to correct this issue. Hopefully it works now. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by smartphoney View Post
    By the way, the "John Smith wrote" approach is the default in certain email clients other than Outlook (such as Thunderbird for example) so that issue didn't bother me too much but I can see how it would bother someone who hadn't ever seen it before.
    Good to know. I didn't realize that other email clients used the "John Smith wrote" language. Outlook is king in my industry, so I've never really been exposed to many other desktop email clients.
    Last edited by Jonolee; 11/15/2009 at 10:57 AM.
    hmm now I wonder if I should update just to be safe
    Well, I guess if your email is still working fine, you should be OK. You could always update if your email client starts acting weird.
    I think I figured out what I did wrong. I've updated the patch (included in original post above) to correct this issue. Hopefully it works now. Thanks.
    That seems to have fixed things. Thanks.
    Jonolee, you're the man (or woman as the case may be). What are the odds of turning this into an official patch for inclusion in Preware or WOSQI? That would make it a lot easier to uninstall in the future.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Jonolee, you're the man (or woman as the case may be). What are the odds of turning this into an official patch for inclusion in Preware or WOSQI? That would make it a lot easier to uninstall in the future.
    Glad it helped (and yes, I'm a guy). I've tried creating an official patch for this a couple of times, but I must be doing something wrong because I keep getting hunk errors when using Jason R.'s unified diff creator. If someone else knows more about patching, they're welcome to use my modified files to create a patch.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    This works great. I just made a small change to the Email.jsjsjs $file$ $since$ $my$ $corporate$ $email$ $doesn$'$t$ $list$ $both$ $the$ $from$ $name$ $and$ $from$ $email$ $address$ $on$ $the$ &$quot$;$From$&$quot$; $line$. ($For$ $example$ $the$ $From$ $line$ $on$ $the$ $previous$ $message$ $just$ $lists$ &$quot$;$JOHN$ $SMITH$&$quot$; $and$ $not$ &$quot$;$JOHN$ $SMITH$ &$lt$;$john$.$smith$@$abc$.$com$&$gt$;&$quot$;). $I$ $wouldn$'$t$ $have$ $been$ $able$ $to$ $make$ $that$ $easy$ $change$ $though$ $without$ $your$ $great$ $work$. $Thanks$!
    Glad it helped (and yes, I'm a guy). I've tried creating an official patch for this a couple of times, but I must be doing something wrong because I keep getting hunk errors when using Jason R.'s unified diff creator. If someone else knows more about patching, they're welcome to use my modified files to create a patch.
    I put in a request for a proper patch: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...-font-fix.html
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    To confirm, does this only reduce font size but not change the font itself to something normal like Times new Roman?
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    The Email.jsjsjs $file$ $posted$ $in$ $this$ $thread$ $changes$ $the$ $font$ $to$ &$quot$;$Calibri$, $san$-$serif$; $font$-$size$:$15px$&$quot$; $but$ $I$ $went$ $in$ $and$ $changed$ $that$ $line$ $in$ $the$ $file$ $to$ &$quot$;$Arial$, $san$-$serif$; $font$-$size$:$13px$&$quot$; $which$ $appears$ $in$ $my$ $Outlook$ $as$ $Arial$ $10$ $pt$ $font$ $which$ $is$ $what$ $my$ $company$ $uses$.
    Quote Originally Posted by bleacher View Post
    This works great. I just made a small change to the Email.jsjsjs $file$ $since$ $my$ $corporate$ $email$ $doesn$'$t$ $list$ $both$ $the$ $from$ $name$ $and$ $from$ $email$ $address$ $on$ $the$ &$quot$;$From$&$quot$; $line$. ($For$ $example$ $the$ $From$ $line$ $on$ $the$ $previous$ $message$ $just$ $lists$ &$quot$;$JOHN$ $SMITH$&$quot$; $and$ $not$ &$quot$;$JOHN$ $SMITH$ &$lt$;$john$.$smith$@$abc$.$com$&$gt$;&$quot$;). $I$ $wouldn$'$t$ $have$ $been$ $able$ $to$ $make$ $that$ $easy$ $change$ $though$ $without$ $your$ $great$ $work$. $Thanks$!
    Could you please post the files for this?

I am trying to do the same, but am not a programmer and do not understand what all this code means.

you guys are awesome!!
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Here is the version of Email.jsjsjs $I$ $am$ $using$ $that$ $uses$ $the$ $Arial$ $font$.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    bleacher - tyvm!
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    awesome! Thanks for the contributions!
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast