Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Let me start by saying I am a photography enthusiast that happens to own a Pre. I've got a DSLR with a wide variety of lenses, but lately I've been interested in finding compact cameras that can produce similar results. For example I have a Sigma DP1, compact camera with a DSLR sized sensor.

I came across this article that intrigued me. You can remove the lens from a DVD player and turn it into a macro lens for a cell phone. Check it out:

Super Macro Your Cellphone Camera With A DVD Lens | DIYPhotography.net

Basically you:

- Disassemble a dvd player
    - Remove the lens. Lens is slightly smaller than the size of a standard hole from a hole puncher.
    - Find some way of "mounting" the lens. I found a notebook with a black thin plastic cover. Cut out a small rectangle (long enough so you have something to hold on to), and punched a hole in it with a hole puncher. The DVD lens squeezes into the hole and stays put on its own.
    - Hold the DVD lens over the cell phone's camera lens. It can focus on stuff that is like.. maybe an inch from the camera. Have to be very close to it.

I tried this today and took a few photos of some flowers.

These came straight from the Pre, no post processing besides shrinking them to make them web friendly.

Couple of them have a little vignetting (black on the corners) because I probably wasn't holding the DVD lens correctly... i.e. it wasn't lined up 100% correctly.

Nevertheless, I am pretty surprised at how well this works. You can give your Pre pretty sweet macro capabilities with a DIY lens that weighs less than a paperclip.

Not going to win any photography awards but very cool!!! Definitely are more likely to take more photos with something you have with you all the time.

Cheers!
    this is awesome....will be hacking up an old dvd player tonight to try this out.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    I read that article a few weeks ago. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks amazing! great job!

Do you have a flickr page?
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    I read that article a few weeks ago. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks amazing! great job!

Do you have a flickr page?
    I also read it a few weeks back... had flagged it and finally got around to trying it today

No flickr page, but I do have a few pictures up @ infusionphotography (none of it from the pre though!)
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    I just had to try this. I used my non touchstone back. My lens fit pretty well, it tad some tabs I just taped down for now. I'll play more later. Thanks OP!

Palm Pre Macro Lens - a set on Flickr
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    I just had to try this. I used my non touchstone back. My lens fit pretty well, it tad some tabs I just taped down for now. I'll play more later. Thanks OP!

Palm Pre Macro Lens - a set on Flickr
    Good idea to use the non-touchstone back. I'd be more comfortable permanently modifying that with the macro lens. Thanks for the tip
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonrw View Post
    Good idea to use the non-touchstone back. I'd be more comfortable permanently modifying that with the macro lens. Thanks for the tip
    First camera phone to have interchangeable lenses!
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts

Mine focuses around 1/4". Its really hard.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    would the lens from a cd/dvd optical drive work..i have several of those laying around.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Man I just threw out a old non working DVD player
    Hmm, my touchstone will soon arrive. Maybe I could cobble up a fine-thread screw mount/focus mod on the original backplate for experimentation. I wonder if there are any candidate lenses for telephoto work....
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I would also like to know if this would work with just a regular cd player lens. I have an old portable one ready to be torn apart.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Wow - worked great. I wish I had some flowers to try out, but I used the tip of a pencil instead...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    here is one i took using a cd player lens its picture of some really really small bugs the size of a ant I found on a rose

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    hairs on my arm

[QUOTE=jasonrw;1924248]I also read it a few weeks back... had flagged it and finally got around to trying it today

No flickr page, but I do have a few pictures up @ [url= (none of it from the pre though!)[/QUOTE]

not prefriendly, eh? (websitezu
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I found two different lens in a DVD-ROM drive. i call them "reg macro" and "super macro". I am experimenting. I'm gonna experiment with some of the other "optics" i found in the DVD drive.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Forgot to add that you want to save the actual laser. Somewhere on the internet are instructions on how to turn a Mag-Lite into a powerful laser capable of popping a balloon.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Picasa Web Albums - fred - Pre Macro pics
    had to post a couple more times in order to link to my macro pics
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    my cd lens wont work, it wont focus at all, the edges almost get clear then the middle is blurry, time to find a diff. lens i guess.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast