Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    just did one of a water drop on my deck

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    There are several options for stick-on macro lenses for the iPhone that may work for the Pre. However, I think just for sheer inventiveness, the 3-Lens Magnifier - RadioShack.com is pretty cool. Check this out iPhone macro - a set on Flickr. Here's a list of them iphone macro lens radio shack - Flickr: Search.
    well, i took apart an old cd player, and attached lens to the slick palm backplate. didnt think it was working at first, but realized i wasnt putting lens close enough to what i was taking a pic of. I pretty much had to put the phone right on what i was photographing.

Here is a pic of the pixels on my laptop. makes a pretty crazy pre wallpaper when done in portrait.

Here is a pic of the head on a small nail, and below it a pic of the nail next to a quarter.

Here is washington's nose and mouth on a quarter.

sure does get good and close, but i guess my lens cant focus unless its extremely close to the object.

GarrettQ
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    yeah that looks like it can only focus on stuff way closer... im guessing you would have different results with a dvd lens but i might be wrong.
    Thanks Jason! This is awesome. I am a complete amature at photography and sure as heck have never been able to do any good macro shots. But I found an old broken gaming system last night, pull out the lens and thought I would give it a try. How cool. My photo is not that great, but this is my first try. I'm sure with some tinkering they will improve. Yet another great reason to love my Pre.

This is the face of a little green bug I found on my porch this morning. The whole bug is not even an inch long.

Never mind....I only have 3 post and am not allowed to post pictures yet.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HMCH View Post
    Thanks Jason! This is awesome. I am a complete amature at photography and sure as heck have never been able to do any good macro shots. But I found an old broken gaming system last night, pull out the lens and thought I would give it a try. How cool. My photo is not that great, but this is my first try. I'm sure with some tinkering they will improve. Yet another great reason to love my Pre.

This is the face of a little green bug I found on my porch this morning. The whole bug is not even an inch long.

Never mind....I only have 3 post and am not allowed to post pictures yet.
    I had the same problem... had to make 10 "filler" posts before i could post this thread I would like to see the photos though.
    This may be the last one needed...let me try this again.
    Small bug face...I actually cropped it a bit and then did a screen capture (see the black edges on the corners). I did that to get rid of a lot of the fuzzy/out-of-focus edges. It did clean it up quite nicely.

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    The blurry picture of a barcode and the picture of the YoYo were taken without the magnifier. All other pictures were took with the magnifier. There are three options you can use with the magnifier, 5x, 10x and 15x. After taking the picture of the YoYo, I realized that I need to do a better job dusting my desk.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I tried with a cd len it didn't work at all
    I used the lens from a cheap 2 dollar laser pointer that I picked up at Fry's electronics. Here are a few examples of what I got.

CIMG0114small.jpg
    Penny

CIMG0119small.jpg
    Ball point pen

CIMG0122small.jpg
    Twenty dollar bill

CIMG0123small.jpg
    Micro print on twenty dollar bill

CIMG0124small.jpg
    Twenty dollar bill
    really nice pics
    Really Cool pictures everyone! Thanks for the awesome idea! I got my lens out of an old Car Audio Headunit. The first lens that almost touches the CD/DVD has kind of a dome shape to it so I can just take of the back cover and rest the lens on the pres lens and place the touchstone back cover over it and it holds it in perfectly... The second, further back, lens is small so I did the glossy back cover mod... I had to drill ever soo slightly with a step bit and lay it up with glue, its works great.

Here are some of my favorites so far...

The first is taken with the lens the almost touches the CD/DVD and it is a Blue jean fabric all I did was set my phone on my leg and snap the picture. The other 3 are done with the lens that was behind that one in the CD/DVD drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes non-work."
    Here is my second try. The first picture I posted of a green bug's face was fun, but not really what I was looking for. That lens came out of a really old broken Play Station. The pictures were just too macro. So a coworker happen to have a broken DVD player he was going to throw away. I of course asked if I could have it. Well I tore it apart and found a similar lens to the one I had. I tried it and it was just the same. So before I threw the dvd player away I did some more digging. Sure enough there is a second, larger lens. I tried it out...and MAN what a difference!!! This is exactly what I was looking for! I did not have much time to play with it yesterday, but here are my updated results.
    First picture is with my first lens. VERY close-up. Again, fun but not what I wanted.

Then with my new lens...MUCH better

These pictures are of the same subject, a small yellow flower. Now to give you an idea of the size of that flower...

All of this is amazing! I'd love to find a way to make this a screw-in type object...another thing to try would be the peep-hole lens from a front door , if you can grind it down :-) you get a fish-eye, I think...
    Just stumbled my way from Flickr to here! Need to fill some posts b4 I can post results after trying this! Thanks for the idea! Gotta love the Pre and it's user base!
    That's awesome!
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    WOW!! I Love this idea! great for the photo buffs!
    This is a really cool idea... I'm going to have to hit the thrift store to find a DVD player to cannibalize. haha
    I was thinking since the pre doesn't have Macro capability we should develope a case that has a lens that can be slid on and off. It would be just like the plastic cases we use to protect our phones, but just with a slidable lens.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast