Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I have a question about "native" VoIP support on Palm Pre handset.
    Let me explain what I mean.
    I have Nokia E51 and I'm able to configure VoIP profile (including my provider setup, my user like user[at]sipphone.com etc). Then I can register to the service via Wifi and as long as I'm online I am available via my SIP user/telephone number associated with my SIP.
    Is there anything like this available on Pre?
    Are there any alternatives? (I also use Fring, but it is not yet available for Pre platform).
    I did some quick research, but it looks like all "VoIP" applications available currently aren't "real" VoIP, just sort of "cheaper calls"/ callback etc.

thanks

Pit
    There is nothing like that. There will probably not be anything like that for a while (if ever allowed) because I don't believe there is any exposed functionality to officially support it.

Bel
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Ahh it will be available via homebrew sooner or later. the phone is running on linux isnt much it can't do, well unofficially that is.
    inetpimp likes this.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beldraen View Post
    There is nothing like that. There will probably not be anything like that for a while (if ever allowed) because I don't believe there is any exposed functionality to officially support it.

Bel
    I don't see why it would never be allowed. Currently there is GTalk apps, and soon even official GTalk apps. The biggest issue might be Sprint now allowing it when it's on EVDO, but over Wifi it probably isn't an issue.

I'm actually hoping for a SIP/IAX app to use with Asterisk on my local LAN, and with CallManager when I'm at work. I'd try to program it myself, but I'm a networking guy, not a software go, and don't know where to start when it comes to Javascript
    theres a program called icall that rocks . it would be kool to have that for the pre, i believe they had it for the iphone too.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    theres a program called icall that rocks . it would be kool to have that for the pre, i believe they had it for the iphone too.
    Yes, also I mentioned Fring, it would be enough to have one of those applications. Need to wait...
    I'd pay 20-30 bucks easily for a really good SIP app for the Pre. I have an asterisk server in the home and want to make the Pre just another extension, and use 3G or 4G data to make calls, instead of using cellular minutes.

Since Sprint went to Any Mobile Any Time, and I have the pick 3 and pick 2 plans together (thanks Pre forum members for the notice they were available, cell minutes aren't really a big deal anymore, but it would be nice to just get data plans somewhere down the road and not use any phone minutes, except in rare cases.

What I'm really wanting though, is a WiMAX enabled phone with SIP, since the hometown here around Austin is about to get 4G. If Palm is able to do this, than I'll stick with a Pre, if not...well, it might be time to play around with some of the other toys when the become available. For now, where's that SIP App?
    For me VOIP is a necessity as I spend a great deal of time in France. I hae access to wifi here so the Pre works great except for the phone. VOIP would let me use the phone as well
    Bill
    My fiance is stuck in South Korea for most of the next year, and I would LOVE a native skype program for the Pre. WinMo phones have had one for a long time, and the Pre is more than capable in terms of the hardware.
    Where is the SIP Client on the Pre?

Someone in this thread mentions something about a Native SIP Client over WIFI and eVDO?

On the forums . Precentral . net /web-os-development/202911-native-sip-client-over-ev-do-wifi.html
    Please, please, please. Won't someone write a true VOIP app for the PRE. A GIZMO5 app would be ideal. Using that in combination with a Google Voice app that uses wifi only would allow a very easy way to make free calls to the US when traveling abroad.

1: Initiate call on google voice app. (needs to use wifi only unlike gDial Pro)
    2: Have google voice ring to your gizmo number.
    3: Answer incoming call on your gizmo app for free and wait for call to connect.

I have gotten this to work great on my pc. If you can make it work on PRE I will give you $10
    :-)
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Well, if no one else makes an SIP/IAX client for the Pre I'll put it on my TODO list after I learn how to actually program on the Pre

I've had my own Asterisk server in the past and used many SIP clients so I have a pretty good idea of what people are expecting and what it would entail. It'll be a while before I can get started though... New baby due any day now.

Anyone know how difficult it is to get regular Linux apps running on the Pre? I know how to cross compile for various platforms. I figure I could shortcut the whole process by getting a standard SIP/IAX library/interface ported to the Pre and then make a WebOS front end for it. Is that possible without a complicated/rooted setup?
    inetpimp likes this.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobius8 View Post
    Please, please, please. Won't someone write a true VOIP app for the PRE. A GIZMO5 app would be ideal. Using that in combination with a Google Voice app that uses wifi only would allow a very easy way to make free calls to the US when traveling abroad.

1: Initiate call on google voice app. (needs to use wifi only unlike gDial Pro)
    2: Have google voice ring to your gizmo number.
    3: Answer incoming call on your gizmo app for free and wait for call to connect.

I have gotten this to work great on my pc. If you can make it work on PRE I will give you $10
    :-)
    Please do not forget some Pre users live outside US
    So solution would need to be universal. Google Voice is not yet available outside US.
    Gizmo5 would be fine, but I think Fring is also really good.
    anyone ever follow up on this? I can only take so much of watching my coworkers connect to our asteirsk server with their droids!
    As I understand it, the API currently does not have any calls accessing the Pre's microphone, so there's still no way to develop any applications involving voice, even a simple voice recorder. The only possible way at the moment would be someone writing a PalmOS app to run within Classic. But Classic is also very buggy still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    As I understand it, the API currently does not have any calls accessing the Pre's microphone, so there's still no way to develop any applications involving voice, even a simple voice recorder. The only possible way at the moment would be someone writing a PalmOS app to run within Classic. But Classic is also very buggy still.
    I don't think that's true since there are both voice and video (with voice) recording apps coming out.

Take a look at the test video from Pre with sound:
    http://www.precentral.net/precorder-...-testing-phase
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I don't think that's true since there are both voice and video (with voice) recording apps coming out.

Take a look at the test video from Pre with sound:
    http://www.precentral.net/precorder-...-testing-phase
    Precorder depends on a custom built service for the back-end, largely because the necessary API's to do this are not in the SDK. This is a very workable solution for a home-brew app, but since a 'realy' VoIP app would probably need to come from a commercial developer, like Skype, and not from the homebrew community. Unfortunately, commecial devs have to either produce things right down the line of in the dev kit, or they need inside help and approval from palm as many people suspect Motion Apps and Telenav had for Classic and Sprint Navigation.

There are some open source VoIP protocals out there, but their usefulness is limited because they are not widely used, and porting one to the Pre would me a massive undertaking. Not that it can't be done, but it will require a lot of patience on our part.

Likewise, as Palm improves their SDK, we may see Skype produce an app just like they have for windows mobile, or even one of the other VoIP programs that are out there.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    ..... a 'real' VoIP app would probably need to come from a commercial developer, like Skype, and not from the homebrew community.
    This statement has my full support. We should work on the commercial suppliers of VoIP to provide such an application for the Pre. And it should not be limited to the US market, but include GSM phones as well. Wifi would be best, of course.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by mullern View Post
    This statement has my full support. We should work on the commercial suppliers of VoIP to provide such an application for the Pre. And it should not be limited to the US market, but include GSM phones as well. Wifi would be best, of course.
    +1
  20.    #20  
    Is there any chance that PDK just announced during CES will help VoIP application(s) to be eventually created?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast