Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    I have noticed a few guitar tuners in the app catalog. They would have to use the mic for that.

I totally wish they had a true voip app via wifi. My wife went to Holland for a week and we only could talk a few times and it was expensive.

I also wish google would get its but in gear and do something with Gizmo.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kc_exactly View Post
    I have noticed a few guitar tuners in the app catalog. They would have to use the mic for that.
    As far as I know, all of the "guitar tuners"...both App Catalog and Homebrew...are simply tone-generators.

They don't tell you if you're in tune..they just generate the correct tone so YOU can tell if you're in tune.

If I'm wrong about this, I'll be THRILLED.
    look guyz vodafone is voip thing and if you get the microphone code then you guyz can do an app that allows calling over google voice
    I'm working on a SIP client. I've got a prototype finally working... I hope to turn this into an available app soon! I'll keep everyone posted!
    Quote Originally Posted by pEEf View Post
    I'm working on a SIP client. I've got a prototype finally working... I hope to turn this into an available app soon! I'll keep everyone posted!
    Need this app for asterisk. Thank you for the DEV!!!!!!

please keep us posted!
    Quote Originally Posted by pEEf View Post
    Awesome,
    this would lead to my wife getting a pre - shes got family in hong kong and uses a sip phone at home,
    good luck with it - need a beta tester?
    Please, I will ask if I need testers. It's nowhere near that point right now! Please do not PM me asking this!
    I know I use voip on the ipod I would love to have it on my pre
    Quote Originally Posted by zagor View Post
    +1
    +2
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Sooo being that I installed OpenOffice on my Pre and it worked I figured "why not try a sip client too". I installed linphone from the Debian repositories and here's what happened:
    - program installed fine
    - program launched fine
    - dialed test number
    - heard the prerecorded voice for about 5 seconds
    - phone crashed and reset

I don't know if it was picking up the mic but in earlier tests with a different program it did indeed pic up the mic so it's possible. I'll play with this more when I have some free time.

- phil_bw -
    bump
    ...a-a-a-and bump again. I think 1.4.5 will finally crack this nut?
    M100=> 180 => 270 => 600 => 650 => 680 => 680 => 680 => Pre(GSM Pre minus)=>Galaxy S2 32GB
    No news on the issue? The total lack of VOIP-apps is really a problem for WebOS in Europe with the usually expensive roaming fees and the small countries...

Edit: I'd happily pay 10EUR for a good VOIP-application that lets me use a provider of choice (e.g. sipgate.de) with Wifi. 3G is not really that important for me because roaming fees apply, see above.
    Everybody should go to the Skype user forums to make a request too. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
    M100=> 180 => 270 => 600 => 650 => 680 => 680 => 680 => Pre(GSM Pre minus)=>Galaxy S2 32GB
    Ok this is purely speculative, but follow me on this and maybe we can get somewhere.

Palm is not Nokia.

Nokia puts the feature sets their customers want (except for, evidently, a spiffy OS like WEBOS!) in their phones, because they are huge, and they can do pretty much what they want.

Sure, carriers disable the features sometimes, but they are still latent in the firmware.

Palm does not have that luxury. If palm put features into webos that frightened carriers (like native VOIP), then the carrier would just not carry the phone. Palm is not big enough (on its own) to launch without heavy carrier endorsement, so the carriers call the shots.

Now, its not like I -know anyone- on the -inside- or anything, so this is just speculation, but......

This is why there is no "microphone API" .... do you think it would take palm more than 6 hours to produce one if they wanted (or were permitted) ? no, of course not. Probably -in house developers have already written it- but cannot let it out until a 3rd party figures out a workaround and makes withholding it irrelevant.

Webos 2 may not have it either, unless a homebrew app comes out with it first.

PJSIP works, less audio connectivity. It remains up to those of us that have the skills to work outside of API-land to come up with a usable driver solution.

My point is, that as long as talented developers sit around waiting for the phantom mic API to emerge, we will not have a SIP client. But once the barrier is down, once someone takes the time to connect to the mic, we'll soon have the API.

Whoever does this will have the opportunity to sell their achievement for a while at least, for $10 - $20 a pop, no problem, and also license the method to others, possibly.

If they play their cards right, they might even be able to parley the microfame into a bigger company, a career move, get gobbled up by fring, or any number of othe profitable things.

This is the webos moonlanding folks!!!

Want a share of the action, here it is, waiting for the first one to bring it out.

It just can't be PALM who brings down the wall, get it?

Anyone who really wants SIP will gladly pay for it - they want SIP so that they can save money, and that has a cash value!
    Quote Originally Posted by chen1231 View Post
    look guyz vodafone is voip thing and if you get the microphone code then you guyz can do an app that allows calling over google voice
    Dont be confused, the vodafone and google voice apps are not SIP or VOIP clients - they use a callback number so they still use your carrier voice minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by k0balt60 View Post
    Sure, carriers disable the features sometimes, but they are still latent in the firmware.
    This should have been the end of your post.

Quote Originally Posted by k0balt60 View Post
    Now, its not like I -know anyone- on the -inside- or anything, so this is just speculation, but......

This is why there is no "microphone API" .... do you think it would take palm more than 6 hours to produce one if they wanted (or were permitted) ? no, of course not. Probably -in house developers have already written it- but cannot let it out until a 3rd party figures out a workaround and makes withholding it irrelevant.
    Palm hasn't produced the APIs yet, because their priorities were all outta whack.

They had the SDK, PDK, Ares, 3D Gaming [and other beta-testing with various other programs], then I think they slowed themselves down a bit by dealing with different internal issues between the Pre & Pixi... I mean, they have had their plates full.

But mic APIs would have been a no-brainer on a Palm smartphone, IMHO. Far more productive & important of a tool than gaming.

Android has still yet to get a functional call recorder, but they can do voip. If webOS can do call recording before Android.... then that's all I care about. I know people who would switch from Android to webOS in a second if they could have a call recorder.

If webOS doesn't allow access to the microphone on calls, then I might as well be on Android.
    Palm hasn't produced the APIs yet, because their priorities were all outta whack.
    ummmm.... I'm pretty sure they have a Microphone API, or how would you be able to make calls?

ok, maybe its not polished, but they have to hook into it with their software, or the phone wouldn't work, unless I am missing something here....I mean, I have written software for DSP's, and transcoding an audio frequency stream is something that pretty much comes out of a stock library from the chip vendor, or maybe I have just been lucky?

Or am I somehow failing to grasp some extra layer of complexity?

At any rate, we have voice recorders (zcorder) so they have some kind of a hook to the hardware. At least that would make a PTT voip client, even if it were not capable of duplex for some reason.

Originally Posted by k0balt60
    you replied: This should have been the end of your post.

Aww, cmon, dont be such a troll. I said in the beginning of the post that it was completely speculative. I expect that most of the readership here can grasp the concept, don't you think? Or maybe speculation is prohibited in the forum? (i'll admit, I didn't read the stickies...)

As far as features being latent in the firmware, I meant in the context of how carriers cripple phone firmware to channel users into feeding their revenue streams, Like my Nokia that was branded by some Australian carrier, with SIP locked out. flashed the phone with a stock image and violla, SIP.

It's not such a stretch to say that a carrier might be less inclined to subsidize a phone that supported skype / sip right out of the box, with the bandwidth congestion and revenue loss that comes with it, don't you think?

at any rate, I wouldn't hold my breath for h-palm to push out an api for the mic, as there is not enough revenue enhancing potential for the real market ( not just us tech-geeks ) to offset the disfavor that it might bring with the carriers.
    Hi, you talk about a microphone API.
    Are the Alsa libraries not an API that offers you the microphone?
    On my Pre is the arecorder (part of Alsa) and it worked
    Greetings Wolf
    I wish I knew anything about compiling programs for linux. I downloaded the linux sources for linphone, and there are specific instructions included on how to compile against ARM. There are a few dependencies, etc. that I'm sure I wouldn't know how to deal with. But, someone who is versed in software development for linux would probably be able to have it working in a day. Any takers?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast