Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am curious if anybody is aware of ANY progress toward a voice dial solution for the Pre. I have been waiting since BEFORE the release of the Pre & have kept faith that someone would create something. Now, almost 5 months later, I have still not seen a single app attempt. I am aware of the V1 BT headset (as well as it's limitations to the speed dial numbers). I tried, many times, my paid Voice Dial program by Voice Signal thru the Classic app for the Treo, on my Pre, to no avail. Besides the fact that it is illegal to use ur hands on ur phone device while driving (in many states) AND the fact that it is very dangerous, there is also the fact that the Pre has more steps to go thru to dial a number from ur contacts (especially if u have the lock feature enabled). With 1500 contacts, this is a big deal. Though there was much concern & talk about this need around the release date, it seems to have subsided. Is there not a person that can homebrew us up a concoction that will work. I would GLADY pay for the app. Please help.
    Last edited by TGEPMan; 09/24/2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: More specifics
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    I know this solution is not as good as a native app, but here is a quite good workaround.

I bought the Parrott Minikit Slim, which will download your phonebook every time you connect (so it always has your latest contact list) and then lets you voicedial up to 2000 contacts with multiple numbers for each contact. I find the voice recognition is quite good. No training required.
  3.    #3  
    Great, thanx much. That seems like a viable option for now. Can u confirm that this device will store 2000 contacts from 1 phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by TGEPMan View Post
    I am curious if anybody is aware of ANY progress toward a voice dial solution for the Pre. I have been waiting since BEFORE the release of the Pre & have kept faith that someone would create something. Now, almost 5 months later, I have still not seen a single app attempt. I am aware of the V1 BT headset (as well as it's limitations to the speed dial numbers). I tried, many times, my paid Voice Dial program by Voice Signal thru the Classic app for the Treo, on my Pre, to no avail. Besides the fact that it is illegal to use ur hands on ur phone device while driving (in many states) AND the fact that it is very dangerous, there is also the fact that the Pre has more steps to go thru to dial a number from ur contacts (especially if u have the lock feature enabled). With 1500 contacts, this is a big deal. Though there was much concern & talk about this need around the release date, it seems to have subsided. Is there not a person that can homebrew us up a concoction that will work. I would GLADY pay for the app. Please help.
    Been discussed ad naseum right after initial release and SDK release.

Current SDK does not allow it. Go Figure...
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Great, thanx much. That seems like a viable option for now. Can u confirm that this device will store 2000 contacts from 1 phone?
    Oh shoot, I'm wrong. It's 1000 per phone.

Portable Bluetooth hands free car kit: Parrot MINIKIT Slim & Parrot MINIKIT Chic
  6.    #6  
    carrel, thanx for the correction.
    luvmyq9c, do u know if that means that it can only be done w/a factory update? Can Palm/Sprint update the SDK to allow the Pre to be able to have voice dialing? From early, early on, Sprint as well as Palm told me that they were getting a lot of requests for that & that it was being worked on & that it would be available on a future update. I believed them. How is it not possible that 1 of these amazing homebrewers cannot find a way around the SDK limitations? Am I the last person standing to think that voice dialing is an absolute necessity? This phone is becoming increasingly risky to use (while driving) & worthless (while drving) w/o it, in my estimation. Wasn't the original purpose of a cel phone so that u could use it while being mobile, ie - while driving? I must, now, break the law & endanger the lives of others & myself to use this "advanced" piece of technology while driving? How does Sprint/Palm justify this lack of apparent necessity? If I could make a public statement against this phone for this reason, I would.
    Last edited by TGEPMan; 09/24/2009 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Left out word
    carrel, thanx for the correction.
    luvmyq9c, do u know if that means that it can only be done w/a factory update? Can Palm/Sprint update the SDK to allow the Pre to be able to have voice dialing? From early, early on, Sprint as well as Palm told me that they were getting a lot of requests for that & that it was being worked on & that it would be available on a future update. I believed them. How is it not possible that 1 of these amazing homebrewers cannot find a way around the SDK limitations? Am I the last person standing to think that voice dialing is an absolute necessity? This phone is becoming increasingly risky to use (while driving) & worthless (while drving) w/o it, in my estimation. Wasn't the original purpose of a cel phone so that u could use it while being mobile, ie - while driving? I must, now, break the law & endanger the lives of others & myself to use this "advanced" piece of technology? How does Sprint/Palm justify this lack of apparent necessity? If I could make a public statement against this phone for this reason, I would.
    Trust me I feel your pain. The two biggest needs I've been clamoring since day one 6/6 was voice dialing and the ability to stream any codec out there excluding FLV because they said we were getting that late this year. The API needed to access this has to come from Palm themselves and is not in the current SDK that has been released. The palm rep I spoke to at the store on day one also told me it was in the works but still nothing. If it had been released I'm sure one of our talented homebrewers would have had one out already.
  8.    #8  
    Thanx much. I'll give em a little while longer before I give up & move on from this phone -extremely disappointed.
    To get around it, I've been using the Home Brew Quick Dial. It's a speed dial app. I usually launch it while I'm at a red light...
  10.    #10  
    Awesome. I'll try it. Thank u.
    Just get the Blueant V1 or Q1. Both do in house voice commands without needing voice support from the phone.
    Wasn't the original purpose of a cel phone so that u could use it while being mobile, ie - while driving? I must, now, break the law & endanger the lives of others & myself to use this "advanced" piece of technology while driving? How does Sprint/Palm justify this lack of apparent necessity? If I could make a public statement against this phone for this reason, I would.
    1. its not NECESSARY, you dont NEED to talk and drive - pull over to dial, do something.

2. YOU even admit taht YOU have to break the law and endanger others, its not sprints fault, its yours.

3. Please be as safe as you can; the kid you run over might be mine, the biker you kill due to inattention might be me.

I cant tell you how many doors now bear an imprint of my boot because some window-licking-moron changed lanes into me, cut me off in a very, very, very unsafe manner (locked rear tire at 65 mph, sideways, is NO fun in traffic! but Im still alive), ran me off the road.. all while driving and talking. Yet, they always yell at ME. Ugh, and Im nice, many bikers carry ball peen hammers or ball bearings (they do great things to windsheilds at high speed. Here's hoping I only get ever get ****ed and have to kick someones door at the next light, and NOT have to destroy their car with my body smashing across their hood. Cars are machines folks, big heavy machines with a lot of kinetic energy!

I dont condone any violent reaction on the road, for the record, but I do view a distracted driver as a hostile one, because their actions reflect the same results. Im just trying to pointing out that the life you might take because that call just couldnt wait, or that text was overly important, might be a forum member, family member, or just some random Joe with a wife and 3 kids.

Now, as to the OP topic: Heres hoping, if only in part because of what Ive discussed above, that voice dialing gets added. Also just because its a nice feature that saves time and effort for something that should be intuitive!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    Just get the Blueant V1 or Q1. Both do in house voice commands without needing voice support from the phone.
    It doesn't look like it has an A2DP protocol. Are you able to listen to your music or media also?
  14.    #14  
    Gator352, as originally expressed, I've seen the V1(Q1) w/their 8 voice dial-able limitations - that serves no purpose for someone who calls random numbers from their near-2000#-contact-list daily.
    bdhu2001, it appears there's no A2DP avail on those bts, therefore, u would need TWO earpieces if u wanted to have both functionalities.
    phreakish, I am on your side, my friend. I believe u wrongly interpreted my words. I didn't say I must break the law - rather, I asked it as a question (see the question mark at the end of the sentence?). I could not agree w/u more that we are seeing today, an increased number of ppl driving w/distractions - primarily cell phones. That's why this situation has upset me so. For someone like myself, whom goes to much extreme to TRY to be a safe, attentive driver, it is BAFFLING to me to see Palm come out w/a phone, in today's day & age, w/no regard for voice dialing capabilities. If I would have known there would be no voice dialing on the phone, 5 months later, after 5 OS updates, I NEVER would have bought it - NEVER even considered it for 1 min. I am a person that does A LOT of driving & does the MAJORITY of phone calls from the road. I have a vast list of nearly 2000 contacts & dial different ones everyday - not the same 8 or 10! My last 4 phones have all had bt initiated voice dialing - including a Treo 650 for which I purchased Voice Dial which worked beautifully. I was certain that, between the web posts, Palms words to me, Sprints' words to me AND the fact that even the Treo 650 was made capable of voice dialing, that FOR CERTAIN, by now, there would be a voice application available. It is absurd, in the highest degree, to ask me to pull over to place a call. I'd be pulling over every 4 mins on the freeway to continue the business I have become reliant upon. Now, a 2-year contract & hundreds of dollars on a phone later, I am left w/1 choice - to purchase a new phone. Shame on ME for trusting/believing in Palm/Sprint. It'll be the last time.
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    1. its not NECESSARY, you dont NEED to talk and drive - pull over to dial, do something.

2. YOU even admit taht YOU have to break the law and endanger others, its not sprints fault, its yours.

3. Please be as safe as you can; the kid you run over might be mine, the biker you kill due to inattention might be me.

I cant tell you how many doors now bear an imprint of my boot because some window-licking-moron changed lanes into me, cut me off in a very, very, very unsafe manner (locked rear tire at 65 mph, sideways, is NO fun in traffic! but Im still alive), ran me off the road.. all while driving and talking. Yet, they always yell at ME. Ugh, and Im nice, many bikers carry ball peen hammers or ball bearings (they do great things to windsheilds at high speed. Here's hoping I only get ever get ****ed and have to kick someones door at the next light, and NOT have to destroy their car with my body smashing across their hood. Cars are machines folks, big heavy machines with a lot of kinetic energy!

I dont condone any violent reaction on the road, for the record, but I do view a distracted driver as a hostile one, because their actions reflect the same results. Im just trying to pointing out that the life you might take because that call just couldnt wait, or that text was overly important, might be a forum member, family member, or just some random Joe with a wife and 3 kids.

Now, as to the OP topic: Heres hoping, if only in part because of what Ive discussed above, that voice dialing gets added. Also just because its a nice feature that saves time and effort for something that should be intuitive!
    WOW.. Really...

And I'm sure that you always signal before changing lanes and never ride between cars huh???

I do agree to a certain extent about the idiots whith the phone glued to the ear that are oblivious to all around but if you are using hands free or a BT headset then why not. That's what it was invented for.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Guys....he's got a point. The fact that the Pre doesn't have voice dialing BLOWS MY MIND. My three-year-old RAZR has excellent voice dialing for safe, hands-free use with a Bluetooth headset. Even WITH a Bluetooth headset that's compatible with the standard Bluetooth hands-free or headset (HFP, HSP) profiles, the Pre simply cannot be dialed by voice. It's a fundamentally unsafe phone for any car use at all.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Guys....he's got a point. The Pre can't be dialed by voice, even with a headset compliant with the Bluetooth standard hands-free or headset protocols (HSP, HFP). It's a fundamentally unsafe phone for ANY type of car use. My three-year-old RAZR has excellent voice dialing, and it works through any Bluetooth headset. Palm's omission of voice-dialing on this phone simply BLOWS MY MIND.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I'm more astonished that careful, attentive driver considers his or her calls more important than other road users. Or didn't wait until voice dial was alive and kicking before the upgrade.

I don't mean to sound argumentative.
    Lack of voice dial is the one feature preventing me from buying a Pre. Lack of at least a dozen other features is preventing me from buying any other phone. For the time being, I'll enjoy my Palm Pilot flip phone and replace it with another one from eBay until voice dial is available on the Pre.

Talking on the phone while driving isn't safe, even hands-free, but it's probably a little safer than riding a motorcycle. I don't do either one. The biker you kill due to the invisibility of motorcycles might be me.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    I would like to have voice dialing on the Pre, if it actually worked.

I've had phones with voice dialing before. Never had one that actually functioned well enough to voice dial.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast