Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Treo's voice dialing worked fairly well as long as you were sure to use both first and last names of a contact. If you had a contact with only one name, it usually failed to be recognized.
    I know this is a really late reply, but I found your post while searching for a voice dialing app or patch for my Pre.

Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    1. its not NECESSARY, you dont NEED to talk and drive - pull over to dial, do something.

I cant tell you how many doors now bear an imprint of my boot because some window-licking-moron changed lanes into me, cut me off in a very, very, very unsafe manner (locked rear tire at 65 mph, sideways, is NO fun in traffic! but Im still alive), ran me off the road.. all while driving and talking. Yet, they always yell at ME. Ugh, and Im nice, many bikers carry ball peen hammers or ball bearings (they do great things to windsheilds at high speed. Here's hoping I only get ever get ****ed and have to kick someones door at the next light, and NOT have to destroy their car with my body smashing across their hood. Cars are machines folks, big heavy machines with a lot of kinetic energy!

I dont condone any violent reaction on the road, for the record, but I do view a distracted driver as a hostile one, because their actions reflect the same results. Im just trying to pointing out that the life you might take because that call just couldnt wait, or that text was overly important, might be a forum member, family member, or just some random Joe with a wife and 3 kids.
    First of all, sometimes you do need to talk to someone immediately. Things happen, you get off the phone with a family member and have to call the hospital, or a sitter so your kids will be picked up while you go to the hospital yourself, etc. And if you've ever tried to pull over in gridlock and then try to get back on to the highway, well you might as well just forget about getting there in any reasonable amount of time. I've easily spent over 20 minutes trying to get back in to traffic after changing a tire during rush hour. Over an hour when I lived near the D.C. beltway.

Second of all, you say you don't condone a violent reaction but there are untold bootprints on cars simply because, even you admit, they were distracted and you choose to take that as a violent act? Even the law recognizes varying degrees of the same crime, with different penalties, based on the intent. The result, or in this case, the result you THINK, MIGHT, have happened, is not as important as the intent.

The law does not agree with you. The law might say they are worthy of a ticket in some areas, but never that you are allowed to take action against them unless they are PURPOSEFULLY, not accidentally, trying to injure you with their car.

Distracted or not, whatever your reasons are for riding along side of me and attacking me by kicking my car, you have instigated a violent action against me, I have every reason to believe you will continue, possibly following me all the way home and endangering my family, and I am within my rights to shoot you. I live in the murder capital of the world, have a concealed carrier's permit, and always carry a weapon. If you tried that hammer thing you might be on the ground in the middle of your swing. You could easily shatter glass and cause me to wreck and kill myself, or just throw the hammer through the side window and kill me before I even get in to the accident. Even at a stop, it would only take one swing to go through my window and my skull. I would not think twice about defending myself.

There are a lot more people like me out there. I had to wait six months to get in to the concealed weapons certification class because they were booked solid for classes that occur every other weekend, and there were 30 people in my class. There are 3 other places in my city alone that had classes just as booked up. What's worse, is that responsible, legal carriers are out-numbered, at least in this area, by people who are carrying illegally. Imagine if you ran in to someone who had nothing to loose by going to jail (probably not for the first time.) And if any witnesses saw what you did, even a criminal with a record would get off in court with nothing but a simple weapons possession charge, as long as they couldn't tie the weapon to another crime.

I get ****ed off at the things people do on the road too, and have spent plenty of time on bikes myself dealing with exactly the thing you are talking about. But there's no excuse for violence on the road, or anywhere else really. People make mistakes, sometimes very stupid mistakes, and even you have made a mistake in your life that had to potential to go badly enough to take someone's life. If you can't get over it without physically attacking another person, then you not only have no business being on the road, but in public in general. Even if you can't wrap your head around being decent just for the sake of being a good human being, maybe you should adjust your behavior before you run in to someone with the means and the will to defend themselves. And for the people who are missing one or the other, do you think they are going to be any nicer to people on bikes on the road the next time they come across one? You are just screwing your fellow bikers over, giving everyone a bad name with your actions. If you had to follow them all the way to a red light, they probably didn't even notice what they did, and just think you are kicking their car for no reason at all.
    Not going to get into the right/wrong argument - and don't believe that is what this thread was about.... My one regret is that I wasn't already on PreCentral.net forums and could have spotted this thread BEFORE purchasing my Verizon Palm Pre Plus in the last week of March.

Over the past 7 - 8 years, voice dialing has become one of those "expected" (***-u-me?) functions in modern cell phones. To have purchased a "smartphone" that is "dumb" (pun intended) was a total shock for me and, had I known, I simply wouldn't have purchased it.

It didn't take long to fall in love with WebOS and my Pre+ - and I have consciously decided to keep it, (went over 30 days just yesterday). Simply stated, it is a sweet phone for an old geek.

I have an older Parrot "hands free" device in my Truck which I've upgraded the software in, and everything works *except* voice dialing. Probably will upgrade that device soon to one that will replace the missing functionality after I am *ASSURED* it will work - but that still does nothing for my current bluetooth headsets - doubt I will crack $150+ for a headset smart enough to make up for my "dumb" phone.

---

Oh yeah, I live in CA where hands-free is the law.
    Is either/both the BlueAnt Q1 or V1 A2DP??
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    Just get the Blueant V1 or Q1. Both do in house voice commands without needing voice support from the phone.
    Hope you are right Gator - found the Blueant V1 on Amazon tonight for just under sixty bucks. Will know in a couple of days....

Noted they have a palm pre specific update for the Q1 to deal with battery issues when it is connected to the pre - makes one wonder what that is all about? In any case, going with the V1...
    How well do the Blueant V1 or Q1 cope with wind noise? I use the Plantronics Voyager Pro while driving my convertible because it has good noise cancellation, so it's not easy for me to switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    How well do the Blueant V1 or Q1 cope with wind noise? I use the Plantronics Voyager Pro while driving my convertible because it has good noise cancellation, so it's not easy for me to switch.
    Blueant has the new T1 version designed specifically to combat wind noise - they claim "clear audio with winds up to 22 mph"... (Not currently available through Amazon Prime).. it is being introduced this month and also "The T1 also offers A2DP for streaming audio of podcasts and turn-by-turn directions from GPS applications on your mobile phone."

The Blueant Q1 Firmware update 8.21 supposedly provides A2DP - I don't know but here is the appropriate page...

Personally, I can't wait any longer...

I'll let you know about the Blueant V1 in a few days after I receive/connect/test it under driving conditions, (window down, etc.)... Want to see how well the noise cancellation compares with my buddy's jawbone.
    Last edited by oldgeekster; 05/05/2010 at 01:42 AM.
    I was quite shocked that Palm a few years ago got on the "pro-handsfree-while-driving" bandwagon, considering I never was able to get their Treo/Centro voicedialing working. I guess they saw it as good PRPRPR, $to$ $ward$ $off$ $stricter$ $laws$ $against$ $cellphone$ $use$. $I$ $thought$ $it$ $was$ $hypocritical$ $of$ $them$. $Sure$, $they$ $had$ $something$ $called$ $voice$ $dialing$, $but$ $it$ $wasn$'$t$ $worth$ $anything$ ($as$ $far$ $as$ $I$ $knew$ $with$ $MY$ $experience$ $with$ $it$, $YMMV$). $Now$, $they$ $don$'$t$ $even$ $have$ $that$.

I hope opening up the mic to 3rd party apps will come soon, and maybe they can finally get it working on the Pre in an acceptable manner.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by DervMan View Post
    I'm more astonished that careful, attentive driver considers his or her calls more important than other road users. Or didn't wait until voice dial was alive and kicking before the upgrade.

I don't mean to sound argumentative.
    Tbh, I thought EVERY phone of this caliber had it so when I upgraded I was shocked. I even put on my headset, pressed it, and when nothing happened I was like ***?!

Voice is SUUUUUCH a basic feature on much lesser phones that it wasn't a stretch to automatically think the Pre Plus had it.
    Quote Originally Posted by connecto View Post
    Lack of voice dial is the one feature preventing me from buying a Pre. Lack of at least a dozen other features is preventing me from buying any other phone. For the time being, I'll enjoy my Palm Pilot flip phone and replace it with another one from eBay until voice dial is available on the Pre.

Talking on the phone while driving isn't safe, even hands-free, but it's probably a little safer than riding a motorcycle. I don't do either one. The biker you kill due to the invisibility of motorcycles might be me.
    How is talking handsfree while driving NOT safe? Is talking to a passenger safe?
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeekster View Post
    Blueant has the new T1 version designed specifically to combat wind noise - they claim "clear audio with winds up to 22 mph"... (Not currently available through Amazon Prime).. it is being introduced this month and also "The T1 also offers A2DP for streaming audio of podcasts and turn-by-turn directions from GPS applications on your mobile phone."

The Blueant Q1 Firmware update 8.21 supposedly provides A2DP - I don't know but here is the appropriate page...

Personally, I can't wait any longer...

I'll let you know about the Blueant V1 in a few days after I receive/connect/test it under driving conditions, (window down, etc.)... Want to see how well the noise cancellation compares with my buddy's jawbone.
    (Intentionally quoting myself)... Received the Blueant late yesterday - the noise cancellation/etc. is *very* impressive, have NOT updated the software in it yet and as received it had NO problems pairing with my Palm Pre Plus, but I have been unable to get it to voice-dial the limited number if presets it is supposed to be able to handle on its own. In its current state, with an incoming call, it will not answer a call by voice command either, (I have to reach up and tap the Blueant button to answer a call).

Will see what happens after updating it sometime this weekend - but this is not an "out of the box solution".

-=dave=-
    I thought voice command dialing is when I toss my phone to one of the kids riding in my car and say "call home and tell momma we are running late, and see if we should pick up dinner on the way home..."
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeekster View Post
    (Intentionally quoting myself)... Received the Blueant late yesterday - the noise cancellation/etc. is *very* impressive, have NOT updated the software in it yet and as received it had NO problems pairing with my Palm Pre Plus, but I have been unable to get it to voice-dial the limited number if presets it is supposed to be able to handle on its own. In its current state, with an incoming call, it will not answer a call by voice command either, (I have to reach up and tap the Blueant button to answer a call).

Will see what happens after updating it sometime this weekend - but this is not an "out of the box solution".

-=dave=-
    Are you talking about the T1? Seems interesting, but I didn't see any mention of voice-dial ability in the specs. Let us know how it goes!
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busymann View Post
    How is talking handsfree while driving NOT safe? Is talking to a passenger safe?
    Talking on a hands-free device while driving has been shown to be AS DANGEROUS as taking on a regular cell phone. Personally, I feel it is safer, but is not the same as talking to a passenger or listening to the radio. There is something mentally different about it.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I thought voice command dialing is when I toss my phone to one of the kids riding in my car and say "call home and tell momma we are running late, and see if we should pick up dinner on the way home..."
    hahaha .. good one
    Are you talking about the T1? Seems interesting, but I didn't see any mention of voice-dial ability in the specs. Let us know how it goes!
    Nope - the Blueant T1 is being released this month and wasn't available on Amazon (yet) so I ordered the Blueant V1 out of frustration.

I am on the latest firmware update for my V1 bluetooth headset (it is 5.3 as I type this) - and it was delivered with that (a fact I didn't realize earlier).

I have made a bit of a "discovery" and feel rather foolish that I didn't not notice it earlier. When I pull up one of my "contacts" in the palm pre plus and add it as a speed dial - rather than a number it saves as a LETTER - which may explain why "Call Speed dial 9" didn't work for beans... Then I noted this in the user documentation for the Blueant V1:

Speed Dials in the V1
    This method requires that you first receive an incoming
    call from the number you want to input into the
    headset for later dialing.
    1. Receive a call from the number you want the
    headset to later dial
    2. Press and Hold Vol – for 3 seconds
    3. The headset will ask you which voice command
    you would like to associate with the number.

So I had the person normally associated with speed dial 9 call my cell. After we hung up I followed the procedure above and EUREKA - it worked. Have worked my way through about half of them up to this point, each time calling the party back "yet again" via voice dialing and it worked.

There are a couple of odd things, speed dial 1 is reserved for voicemail (no surprise) but speed dial 2 is reserved for HOME, 3 for OFFICE 4 for FAVORITE and 5 for GOOG-411.. I am retired but have no problem with using "CALL OFFICE" to dial my Mother-in-law. - or CALL FAVORITE to reach my Son.

Bottom line, it is now usable and I may be able to reconfigure the parrot device in my truck to actually dial out too. We shall see.

Again, I am *very* impressed with positive results on voice quality and the performance of the noise suppression in this Blueant bluetooth headset. I probably should have held out for the T1 model, but this is now totally satisfactory. Younger folks would probably be more interested in the Q1 now that it has A2DP - I just want to drive legally in California.

-=dave=-
    So is there any hint that the T1 works the same way as the V1 for voice-dial?
    So is there any hint that the T1 works the same way as the V1 for voice-dial?
    Sorry, I cannot answer that - but they should have a phone number on their web site. Good luck if you go that route.
    Based on the T1's quickstart guide that I downloaded from the Blueant web site, the T1 only has very basic voice commands and doesn't do voice-dial unless the phone it's paired with has this feature.

However, I just talked to a Blueant sales rep, and she said that the T1 has voice recognition for the entire phonebook, once the contact list has been transferred from the phone. I'm not sure, however, if the contact list will transfer properly from the Pre. The T1 won't be out until the end of May (from Blueant directly) or the beginning of June from stores.
    Last edited by Dr.Grace; 05/10/2010 at 01:26 PM.
    oldgeekster,
    What's your experience with wind noise on the V1? I guess this is a tough question if you don't have a convertible.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast