Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    [QUOTE=tomi666;2068918]If all else fails and the Orange+Sym+U trick won't put your Pre in USB mode, go here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1971994

I cant because sprint told me my pics are not saved in my palm profile and it would erase them all and restore phone to factory settings,I think I need to activate phone again,to see if it will update to 1.3.1 and connect to computer
    Thanks to Palm Support:
    Reboot your Pre'. Attach your USB cable. Enter the following key combination:
    Hold down the "Option" key (Orange), while holding it down, press the "Sym" and then the "U" key...your Pre will enter USB mode and you can download anything from it...it just worked for me!!
    mark.
    Quote Originally Posted by tinabev View Post
    I bought it when they first came out,so doubt I have that,do you think I should have sprint activate it to upgrade then try?
    What do you mean? What WebOS version do you have on your phone? If you have 1.3.1, just use the keyboard shortcut (orange + sym + U) and you'll get your pics.

Pictures are stored on the USB side of your Pre which is not affected by WebOS updates.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    What do you mean? What WebOS version do you have on your phone? If you have 1.3.1, just use the keyboard shortcut (orange + sym + U) and you'll get your pics.

Pictures are stored on the USB side of your Pre which is not affected by WebOS updates.
    I don't know what I have,I bought the phone when they first came out,using new one now. Tried doing ORANGE+SYM+U and it brings up little dev symbol on bottom right of phone but doesn't connect to computer,I can't run webos because it wants me to run doctor first and if I run doctor I lose all my data cause it reverts back to default settings and sprint told me my pics are not in my palm profile.Isn't 1.3.1 was an update? I can't get computer to connect,nothing comes up except "Safely Remove Hardware" and under computer it has a J drive that appears that says removable disk and when I right click "open as removable disk" I only get a blank screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    perhaps once you've reached this point that your Pre and computer are connected again, you can use the repair utility by robitaille?
    I know this sounds dumb but I know nothing about this stuff,does my phone have to be activated in order to get pics off by way of usb drive? Also,I think 1.3.1 is an update to use the orange,sym,u for usb drive because even though it shows a little symbol on bottom right, it also says on left side of phone "charging battery"
    Last edited by tinabev; 11/30/2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: error
    I don't know what I have,I bought the phone when they first came out,using new one now. Tried doing ORANGE+SYM+U and it brings up little dev symbol on bottom right of phone but doesn't connect to computer,I can't run webos because it wants me to run doctor first and if I run doctor I lose all my data cause it reverts back to default settings and sprint told me my pics are not in my palm profile.Isn't 1.3.1 was an update? I can't get computer to connect,nothing comes up except "Safely Remove Hardware" and under computer it has a J drive that appears that says removable disk and when I right click "open as removable disk" I only get a blank screen.
    I've never seen that before? So when you enter "orange + sym + U" to get into USB mode it shows up as a removable device, correct? When your Pre goes into USB mode, it will not show anything else on the screen other than a pic of a harddrive covering the screen. If this is not happening, you DO NOT have 1.3.1.

On your PC, click on:

Start > My Computer > double-click the drive (don't right click it) that is showing up from your Pre (I think you said it was the J drive).

What happens after you double-click it?
    Last edited by Achill3s; 11/30/2009 at 04:32 PM.
    [QUOTE=Achill3s;2070671]I've never seen that before? So when you enter "orange + sym + U" to get into USB mode it shows up as a removable device, correct? When your Pre goes into USB mode, it will not show anything else on the screen other than a pic of a harddrive covering the screen. If this is not happening, you DO NOT have 1.3.1.

On your PC, click on:

Start > My Computer > double-click the drive (don't right click it) that is showing up from your Pre (I think you said it was the J drive).

It says insert disk into removable disk
    [QUOTE=tinabev;2070720]
    I've never seen that before? So when you enter "orange + sym + U" to get into USB mode it shows up as a removable device, correct? When your Pre goes into USB mode, it will not show anything else on the screen other than a pic of a harddrive covering the screen. If this is not happening, you DO NOT have 1.3.1.

On your PC, click on:

When you disconnect your Pre, is that same drive still showing up on your PC? If it is, you're not accessing the Pre, you're probably accessing the CD/DVD Rom drive. After you do this, try the following below:

Do the following (yes again ):

1. Connect your Pre to your PC.

2. on your Pre keyboard press the following three keys that I type here with my bold font all together "orange key (it is located next to the letter "z" and below the letter "A") + sym key + the letter "u"

Hold all 3 of these keys together and THEN release.

3. Does your Pre screen now show a huge pic of what looks like a Pre with a smaller pic of the USB symbol right in the center of the screen (you should see nothing more than what I just described on your Pre screen)?
    Last edited by Achill3s; 11/30/2009 at 05:08 PM.
    [QUOTE=tinabev;2070720]

On your PC, click on:

Are you talking about the 3-way symbol with arrow,circle&square? I can get that to cover whole screen if I hold volume button in and reinstall battery but can not connect to computer,a box comes up that says palm novacom bootie,it didn't use to say that,it use to have 3 palm pre items in there,I must've downloaded it when trying to download webos,does my old pre need to be activated to use usb?
    [/QUOTE=tinabev;2070720]

Are you talking about the 3-way symbol with arrow,circle&square? I can get that to cover whole screen if I hold volume button in and reinstall battery but can not connect to computer,a box comes up that says palm novacom bootie,it didn't use to say that,it use to have 3 palm pre items in there,I must've downloaded it when trying to download webos,does my old pre need to be activated to use usb?
    No it does not need to be activated. No I'm not talking about the HUGE USB symbol that you get when you try to use the WEBDR.

Tina, following my directions from above and report your findings here.

perhaps the Pres drive letter is stuck on the cd/dvd drive letter. Remove all usb devices and reboot. Then insert your Pre. Check diskmanagement in Windows.
    Tomi, it's rather simple. I don't think she is accessing the Pre via USB. It sounds like she is accessing her DVD/CD Rom drive. "Orange + sym + U" works 99% of the time. If it doesn't, she's not using the latest version of WebOS which is 1.3.1.

I don't think she's holding the three keys together to get USB mode via the keyboard shortcut.
    [QUOTE=Achill3s;2070737]

When you disconnect your Pre, is that same drive still showing up on your PC? If it is, you're not accessing the Pre, you're probably accessing the CD/DVD Rom drive. After you do this, try the following below:

Do the following (yes again ):

1. Connect your Pre to your PC.

2. on your Pre keyboard press the following three keys that I type here with my bold font all together "orange key (it is located next to the letter "z" and below the letter "A") + sym key + the letter "u"

Hold all 3 of these keys together and THEN release.

3. Does your Pre screen now show a huge pic of what looks like a Pre with a smaller pic of the USB symbol right in the center of the screen (you should see nothing more than what I just described on your Pre screen)?
    no,i know what its suppose to look like now cause i plugged in my new pre to make sure,what I get now is on screen it says 43 images,1636k total,under that, 482 dom nodes and under that it says 16 render layers,is the 43 images my pics? AND OF COURSE IT WANTS ME TO SELECT MEDIA SYNC,USB,OR JUST CHARGE but I can't
    that's the orange+sym+iiiiiiiiiiiii shortcut.... Did you spill coffee on your keyboard?
    So yes,I get little USB symbol on bottom right,same symbol thats inside pic of palm when I plug new one in,also when I plugged new one in it shows a J drive under safely remove hardware but it says Generic volume(J) and it also shows a removablew disk J drive under computer-hard disk drives,I unplugged them and rebooted but it's still there
    [QUOTE=tomi666;2070850]that's the orange+sym+iiiiiiiiiiiii shortcut.... Did you spill coffee on your keyboard?[/QU

LOL! Not that I know of but I dropped my pre and the screen cracked! When did they upgrade the pre to 1.3.1?
    THE U is working,I just tried it and the u comes up with all that info & it also says updates
    THE U is working,I just tried it and the u comes up with all that info & it also says updates
    i KEY WORKS TOO,BRINGS UP DEVICE INFO,DO I HAVE 1.3.1? Do you think pics are still on my phone if its telling me there are images? The pic on front of my phone is still there. Please don't give up on me!
    Last edited by tinabev; 11/30/2009 at 06:40 PM.
    Hi,

Ive skimmed the whole of the thread so not sure if i mised anything or if anyone has stated this but;

Just Doctor your phone with Sprint 1.3.1?!

Before anyone flames me saying this will erase whatver is on his USB Partition...It wont.

The WebOSDoctor 1.3.1 now leaves whatver files are on the USB Partition intact, and thats what i recommend you should do, Doctor your phone to 1.3.1, and see if that solves your issue.

Thanks

EDIT: Some have stated it does format the USB Partititon too, whereas most have stated it leave it intact, so use with caution.
    Last edited by Adam Carr; 12/01/2009 at 06:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    Hi,

Ive skimmed the whole of the thread so not sure if i mised anything or if anyone has stated this but;

Just Doctor your phone with Sprint 1.3.1?!

Before anyone flames me saying this will erase whatver is on his USB Partition...It wont.

The WebOSDoctor 1.3.1 now leaves whatver files are on the USB Partition intact, and thats what i recommend you should do, Doctor your phone to 1.3.1, and see if that solves your issue.

Thanks

EDIT: Some have stated it does format the USB Partititon too, whereas most have stated it leave it intact, so use with caution.
    Are you sure? Now I'm really confused,I was told by others DO NOT RUN DOCTOR before saving data or it will restore phone to factory settings & I will lose my data ,the purpose is to get pics off,also palm told me the pics are not in my palm profile. I have webos on my desktop ready to run but it wants me to run doctor first with no other option given
    The "43 images" in your info screen may mean you have 43 images in your wallpapaer, DCIM and root folder (I'm not sure).

In Windows (XP?):
    Click Start > select Run; this should bring up the DOS terminal.
    Type "j:" and hit Enter.
    Does it display "J:\>" now?

If so: type "dir" and hit Enter.
    What is displayed. You can rightclick in the screen select mark and mark any text.
    I put "j" in and hit enter and a box comes up telling me to put removable disk in,it did not do anything,put j:\> in manually,same thing comes up,typed dir next to it & get same thing,if I unplug phone from computer,j drive disappears
    I think it's pretty clear the phone isn't on 1.3.1, so it's never mounting the internal storage as a USB drive.

My Pre on Win7 does the same thing when I plug it in for just charging, shows a drive that needs a disk inserted.

Anyway, from what I hear, the new webOS Doctor for 1.3.1 doesn't erase the media storage partition. I'd wait for a second opinion from someone who has used it though.

It sounds like what should work (though again, I'd wait for confirmation) is the following.

Turn off your broken Pre, and hold the volume up button while plugging it in to get the huge USB logo you mentioned.

Run webOS Doctor for 1.3.1 which will upgrade to 1.3.1.

Then, half an hour or so later or whatever, when the broken Pre has finished updating, you should be able to plug into the USB port, and then that Sym + Orange + U shortcut that's been mentioned a few times here will switch from "Just Charge" mode to "USB Drive" mode.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast