Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Used RealPlayer SP. Works great!
    can I dl real player sp to my pre or do I need to dl it to my PC, convert on my PC and then move the file to my phone?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I am telling ya, YouTube Downloader is the way to go.......

Very easy to use .... Plus you can download directly from YouTube.
    can anyone tell me if you can put what on the screen of your pre ont a computer or tv via a usb or any other method? Please help someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Undertow3 View Post
    can anyone tell me if you can put what on the screen of your pre ont a computer or tv via a usb or any other method? Please help someone.
    The Pre doesn't have a video out port. Whether or not there is a hack for it, I'm not sure....
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    i love this site. i just downloaded handbrake and converted a small video to test it out. worked flawlessly. thanks!
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Handbrake is great, I've been using it for a while now. I actually got on the forums today to start a thread about it, but I see that someone beat me to it.

Palm made a genius decision to have the exact same resolution for the Pre as the iPhone. It opens up many things to easily be compatible for both, such as using handbrake with iPhone settings.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Hmmm, messed around with Handbrake for a bit, but still cannot get my converted videos to play on the Pre, I just get an error. I tried rebooting and no change. I have tried converting to MP4 per the first post of this thread. Created my own "video" folder. The file shows up, but I get an error when trying to play. The default Pre video plays fine.

Thoughts?
    gotta try some of this!
    I use Badaboom. Put it on the iphone preset and let it go. I used Handbrake but kept running into audio issues. I got a beast of a CPU (OC'ed i7 920 @ 4.0ghz), but Badaboom is converting through the GPU, and it is most of the time faster(Tri-SLI 285's).
    Quote Originally Posted by pre1561 View Post
    If the Real Player SP is designed to work with the Pre I don't see how. All I get is a player no conversion option at all. So far I haven't found any of the ones mentioned easy to use.
    If you install RealPlayer SP, you get two applications. One is the RealPlayer SP Player; the other is the RealPlayer SP Converter. The latter program is what people are talking about using to encode the movies.

On Windows, both programs will be under Start -> Programs -> Real
    The default installation location for the Converter is

C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\converter\RealConverter.exe

Load that up and you will get a choice of a number of devices to encode for, one being the iPhone, and one being the Pre. Either of those choices, apparently, will produce video you can play on the Pre. You drag your video files from an Explorer window onto the Converter window to set them up for conversion, and you choose where the resulting files will go.

After that it's a matter of copying the files to the Pre.

I'm doing some testing with the Converter now; I'll post my findings later.
    Quote Originally Posted by rifter View Post
    If you install RealPlayer SP, you get two applications. One is the RealPlayer SP Player; the other is the RealPlayer SP Converter. The latter program is what people are talking about using to encode the movies.

On Windows, both programs will be under Start -> Programs -> Real
    The default installation location for the Converter is

C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\converter\RealConverter.exe

Load that up and you will get a choice of a number of devices to encode for, one being the iPhone, and one being the Pre. Either of those choices, apparently, will produce video you can play on the Pre. You drag your video files from an Explorer window onto the Converter window to set them up for conversion, and you choose where the resulting files will go.

After that it's a matter of copying the files to the Pre.

I'm doing some testing with the Converter now; I'll post my findings later.
    So last night I went through this process. As it turns out after converting the videos RealPlayer SP Converter will transfer the files to your Pre if you have that option checked and the Pre is attached in usb drive mode. You get a chance to attach and/or switch the Pre to that mode if that doesn't happen.

The files were transferred to a /videos directory I'd made on the Pre (on the usb drive filesystem) seemingly automagically (I don't know if the directory would have been made if it was not there) and had a .3gp extension. The very long (in this case 103 character) filenames were not truncated, and although of course you can't see that many characters in the file selection dialog for the Pre's default video player, they did show up and played just fine.

The only problem I see with Handbrake is that it inexplicably (since as I understand it's originally a Mac OS X program) relies on .Net 2.0. I've had problems with .Net programs in the past, and in this case even though I have .Net 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 installed, with patches, Handbrake acts like I don't, and reinstalling .Net is unfortunately not often very simple to do (as in there are many errors and long journeys into the bowels of Windows to get either done). It's supposed to be a very excellent, easy to use program, and I'm sure it works very well if you don't have that problem.

In any case it looks like RealPlayer SP Converter has a lot of nice features for this sort of thing, has settings for converting to a dizzying (and growing, apparently, as when I loaded it it found new device settings and asked if I wanted to include them) number of handheld devices, and at least in the case of the Pre works pretty well. I haven't seen if Real has a Linux and/or Mac version of their converter, but that would be cool, too. Handbrake definitely supports those platforms; maybe it's easier to get working there without the annoying idiosyncrasies of Windows to contend with.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    I have videos already on my Pre. I did a hard reset. Then I put the videos back on my Pre, when I go to play the video the video comes up but a error message covers the video stating error play video file. The videos are the right format! Videos I have downloaded via you tube over the air play fine. Anyone have any idea why my videos won't play anymore?
    One more thing about my adventure with converting videos using realPlayer SP Converter .. the videos I converted were very large avi files (around 700MB apiece) that were about an hour in length apiece, and as far as I know were good quality encodings.

On the YouTube downloader (which is a plugin that also comes with RealPlayer), I really like it and have used it a lot. I thought it made .mp4 files, and maybe it does sometimes, but looking at my download folder from it now I see .flv files. It's very easy to use, and actually works on a lot of other sites besides YouTube. It actually will *try* to download any flash video; it just doesn't always work.

Unfortunately point releases of Firefox break it (for instance when I upgraded from 3.5.3 to 3.5.4 it quit loading at all), although I hear Real came out with a version later that worked with 3.5.4 Firefox is now at 3.5.5 and I haven't checked to see if there's a RealPlayer version for that.

There's another plugin for FireFox called DownloadHelper which downloads YouTube videos pretty well, and you can choose to automagically download the HD version of a YouTube video if available, and choose between .mp4 or .flv versions.

Also, if you load Preware, there is a program (which I can't find at the moment) that downloads YouTube videos right on the Pre, and a patch that patches the Pre YouTube App to allow you to download YouTube videos with that application.
    Thanx
    I use Videora! I like it!
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    i use Videora as well.... great quality and fast....

a 700mb avi file converted in 45min to a 400mb file with all the settings put on the absolute minimum...

on the Pre's screen, you don't need to make the vid quality better...lowest settings is good enough...you don't notice any imperfections.

ps i am doing this on a very basic acer laptop with a 1.6 atom cpu and 1gb ram.
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    I just started looking into converting video files to play on my Pre. I tried the Badaboom converter, and using the iPod Touch profile it transcoded a DVD to an .MP4 file in about 10 minutes. This was using an Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 video card. The transcoding is done using the processor (GPU) on the video card.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    You can TVC(total video convertor)
    It converts almost the formats from one to another..
    | Maemo Community - Maemo Forums | All about Nokia N900
    Quote Originally Posted by andgkj View Post
    You can TVC(total video convertor)
    It converts almost the formats from one to another..
    heck yeah! nice
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast