1.    #1  
    My palm pre doesn't identify that my headphones have been unplugged. When I make a call I can't hear the person unless my phone is on speaker or I have a headset plugged in. Plus none of the apps (youtube, pandora, sprint tv, etc.) can only be heard in my headphones are plugged in. This is the second pre i've had with the same issue. Has anyone faced this? Any tips?
    I have a friend who had this issue; its a simple hardware failure. No simple end user fix, though. The switch within the headphone jack that tells the phone whether or not there are headphones plugged in fails, and thus the phone thinks that it always has headphones plugged in. I know he just took his in to a Sprint store and they replaced it. I guess that's probably your best bet? If Sprint doesnt want to replace it, call Palm.
    YES, I have the same problem and have tried everything to correct it.

1) removed all homebrew apps
    2) Partial erase reset
    3) Full erase reset
    4) webos doctor reset
    5) reinstall from back up

Everything else works fine but no sound without the headset.

It occurred right after a crash while listening to Pandora.

Need help................................
    nooo its not a hardware failure... this happend to me and is popping up over and over now. I went to a sprint repair center and they fixed it in 5 mins. You have to trick the phone into realizing its no longer plugged into a headset. You have to make a phone call then hang up. Then make another phonecall with the headset now plugged in and unplug it durring the phone call. Then hang up.
    I got it working, but I think its a hardware problem.

I tried moving the headset jack in and out several times while listening to music and after a few times the sound returned.

I'm afraid to use the headset now, guess I'll have to buy the blue tooth.

NOT, should work as designed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    I got it working, but I think its a hardware problem.

I tried moving the headset jack in and out several times while listening to music and after a few times the sound returned.

I'm afraid to use the headset now, guess I'll have to buy the blue tooth.

NOT, should work as designed.
    It is a hw problem that results in a sw issue. It's a stuck pin (probably associated with the dll). Blow into the jack or use headphones and insert them in and out of the 3.5mm port. Eventually it will resolve itself. But if you do have this, Sprint has been replacing these problems with a new Pre. It's a known issue.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Its not a stuck pin though. Its the software not registering the last removal of the headset. I blew in it and unplugged it and plugged it in like 2000 times. didnt go away till sprint people did it while on a call. He said hes seen it on other phones besides the pre before and they've fixed it in updates.
    umm my palm pre dosent work unless its on speaker well wen i do a call.
    does anybody knoe how much will it be to fix this problem :/
    n where??
    Quote Originally Posted by stephy13 View Post
    umm my palm pre dosent work unless its on speaker well wen i do a call.
    does anybody knoe how much will it be to fix this problem :/
    n where??
    Read up on the fixes above. Try a q-tip and alcohol or wd-40 and try compressed air. Try also The Ghastly Headset application as another option.
    there are several threads about it here. Search for "headset stuck" "ghastly headset"
    Welcome stephy13,

The problem is caused,IMHO,by dirt clogging the headset switch. When you plug in the headset,dirt accidentally gets forced into the switch and clogs the metal contacts that allows the sound to move from headset to the small front speaker. Since you don't have a headset plugged in, the only way you can hear sound is by selecting the larger rear speaker.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...sound-fix.html
    It could be one of two things. It could be the headphone jack mentioned above, or it could be that the actual earpiece speaker has died. This happened to my original Pre. I took it into the Sprint repair store where they replaced the speaker.

During my troubleshooting, I talked to Palm, sprint tech support and the tech at the repair store. All said that the original Pres had an issue with blowing the speaker, so this may be your problem. One way to find out is to see if you can hear your notifications when you get a text or email. If not or if they sound distorted, it is most likely your speaker.
    I had a similar problem where the phone only worked in speaker mode. (I never tried using a headset. I don't own one.) I took it to the Sprint store, and they diagnosed the problem in about a minute. I had too much stuff on the gadget, and it was out of memory, and this was one manifestation of the problem.

They reset it, and didn't put the music back on. I've since added about half my music, but I've been careful not to over-fill the memory. Never had a problem since. It runs faster and with fewer glitches, too.
    There is an app, The ghastly headset that will help. Mine magically fixed itself after 2 weeks? (Been flawless for almost 4 now) I went to a sprint store and was told it would take 2 hours for them to get it in to look at so I decided I could put up with it till it happens again.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Read up on the fixes above. Try a q-tip and alcohol or wd-40 and try compressed air. Try also The Ghastly Headset application as another option.
    I fixed my speaker using the the Q-tip method with some apple cider vinegar.

Btw, reinserting an earphone jack had no effect.

Thanks,
    Gus
    Quote Originally Posted by GusInMD View Post
    I fixed my speaker using the the Q-tip method with some apple cider vinegar.

Btw, reinserting an earphone jack had no effect.

Thanks,
    Gus
    I used a rolled up bit of napkin the just large enough to fit in the headset jack opening dipped in Apple Cider Vinegar. I rolled it around around in there and worked like a charm! I agree the reinserting an earphone jack did not work for me either. I love my Palm Pre! I think its the best phone ever.

Thanks Gus!!
    My palm pre was stuck in headset mode after disconnecting the headset while listening to some songs from the built-in music app.

Neither cleaning the headset jack nor inserting / removing the headset during phone calls worked for me. I finally got back to normal mode by launching the music app, when bluetooth and normal headset were both connected to the phone. I removed and inserted the headset several times until sound switched correctly from headset to speaker. After that i was able to select normal mode from the output mode menu (bottom left button in phone app) during a phone call.

thanks for your tips&tricks!
    Hi All,

I really thank you for the useful comments . I did not have to go the sprint people (mine was a unlocked one). Here is how fixed the problem.
    Issue : Was able to hear or talk on phone only when speaker was on.
    resoultion: played music with my earphone on. then removed earphone while still the music playing. tried the same thing a couple of times. Once i was able to hear the music without the ear phones i was convinced the problem is solved. Double checked by calling on phone (without speaker) and was able to hear the other person.

However, i have one issue still left . I am afraid to use my earphones to play music because that may again cause the same problem. If i dont use earphones i think i m good .

Seniors , poeple your comments .

Reagrds,
    Abhisek
    Quote Originally Posted by abhisekvit View Post
    Hi All,

I really thank you for the useful comments . I did not have to go the sprint people (mine was a unlocked one). Here is how fixed the problem.
    Issue : Was able to hear or talk on phone only when speaker was on.
    resoultion: played music with my earphone on. then removed earphone while still the music playing. tried the same thing a couple of times. Once i was able to hear the music without the ear phones i was convinced the problem is solved. Double checked by calling on phone (without speaker) and was able to hear the other person.

However, i have one issue still left . I am afraid to use my earphones to play music because that may again cause the same problem. If i dont use earphones i think i m good .

Seniors , poeple your comments .

Reagrds,
    Abhisek
    You can always get a pair of stereo bluetooth headphones like this: Amazon.com: Plantronics BackBeat GO 2 Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Earbuds - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories