Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. ZR1
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I bought second hand pre a few months ago and the first week I had it I broke the lcd, so I bought another pre with a bad esn for parts.

So when the speaker blew about a month ago I had another speaker in the parts bin, I put in the second speaker and all was good until last week I noticed I couldn't hear the ringer very good anymore and sure as **** the speaker was on the way out.

So I did the only thing I could come up with and took the speaker out of an old centro.
    It was the boys and there was something wrong with it and he had upgraded to the pre on the first day out.

The only differences that would stop me was the pre speakers contacts are long copper strips that are folded toward each other creating a spring like action so when you put the back of the phone in place these two contacts hit the pads on the circuit board and compress some to make a solid contact. So i removed them from the blown speaker and easily soldered them to the nice flat little pads on the centro speaker and the only other thing was the little foam surround around it was larger than the speaker and too big to fit the pre's speaker bezel so i removed that and it fit like a glove, and all back together it sounds great we'll see how long it last but I don't remember people having problems with the centro's speaker
    Just a question to those with speaker problems. Are you listening to music a high levels directly from the speaker or something?
  3. ZR1
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Johncc

Yes, and probably more importantly I work in a loud environment so I downloaded and have been using louder ringtones, but I don't feel that they're so loud that the speaker should blow. But what do I know
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Sprint just ordered my second Pre today because of the blown speaker. The rep said it was a automatic replacement. I talk a lot on my speaker but my ringtones aren't loud. I don't know what happened. I placed it on the touchstone to charge, the speaker was fine, the next morning it was blown.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR1 View Post
    Johncc

Yes, and probably more importantly I work in a loud environment so I downloaded and have been using louder ringtones, but I don't feel that they're so loud that the speaker should blow. But what do I know
    Wouldn't headphones be the way to go and give far better reproduction too.
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    Same issue, speaker slowly died after long jaunts of playing rather loud vinyl rips of music.

If sprint doesn't want to help, or if you're outside the 30 days, contact Palm directly. The device has a 1yr warranty that should cover this.

As far as your content, I know you can back-up messaging history, pictures, music, etc to your computer. But as far as I know, you'll lose your installed apps.

I dont know if there is a way to clone the files (to include apps) in such a way to replicate the current 'state' of the phone prior to replacement. Would make a decent app tho, wouldnt it? A full back-up of the phone, with the ability to install all of it back to the phone..
    paid apps are backed up by your palm profile, ssh into pre with winscp and grab the homebrew stuff. But honestly, what's missing that you can't get via preware or your profile? appwise that is
  7. ZR1
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Johncc

Headphones would definitely be the way to go but I'm not allowed to wear them at work.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR1 View Post
    Johncc

Headphones would definitely be the way to go but I'm not allowed to wear them at work.
    Need a speaker dock/amp.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Need a speaker dock/amp.
    No probably need a better phone.
    Well count me in as a victim of this speaker mess. I went to 2 sprint stores. First one knew there was a problem as soon as they heard it and directed me to the service store. The service store I went to kept thinking I had a problem hearing callers. I said no, the issue was with the speaker where you hear the phone ring or give text message alerts. That speaker is blown out. I said you can play a ringtone and hear it for yourself.

Still this meant nothing to them, so they took the phone and started making calls and seemed confused as they can hear the calls just fine. I say repeatedly that it is the other speaker!

So they insist that t is a software issue and erase my phone.They give it back to me, I reboot and enter my profile info and I say to them, "This my actual problem that I have told you about and you don't seem to want to listen."

I play a ringtone and then everyone is like, "Oh, its a blown speaker."

RIGHT what I said 20 minutes ago!!

Anyway, the replacement phone is on it's way. Much more of an ordeal than it should have been but I'm not getting charged as this is under warranty.

So those of you who have this issue, go get it replaced and do not take no for an answer. It should be replaced per the warranty. Also, An employee at the first store I went to said that the Pre is a replace only phone. they are not allowed to perform any in store repairs. This seems to fall in line with what I have read here and in other forums. So if this guy was right, the speaker can't be repaired in a store.

Good luck to all others that run into this issue and getting it resolved.
    if i answer the phone useing the speaker option i can communicate but if i try to call or answer regularly i am not able to hear the caller and they cant hear me ***? any ideas or fixes
    I think I would've slapped someone if they wasted 20 minutes of my time and erased my phone only then to believe me. that's just me tho
    Quote Originally Posted by roger69504 View Post
    I think I would've slapped someone if they wasted 20 minutes of my time and erased my phone only then to believe me. that's just me tho
    Oh it took all I had not to. Had they played a ringtone as the first store did, I would have been in and out in under 5. It was more of an issue with them not listening to me than not believing me which is bothersome either way. They knew they messed up and thanked me for being calm.

At one point the woman actually said to let them erase it because that's how I can get a new one. I'm still annoyed. If they call me for the customer survey: F-A-I-L!
    Last edited by treoprouser13; 01/24/2010 at 06:07 AM.
    As with everyone else here, I too just had my 2nd speaker blow... no reason what-so-ever... last night i noticed a bunch of metal shavings stuck to the speaker behind the back cover, so i used my dust-off and blew the metal out & put the back cover back on and continued with what i was doing... (this is the same thing i did with my 1st pre's speaker because of the stupid metal shavings)... this morning when i woke up, go figure, i had 3 missed call, didnt even hear my alarms go off, and a bunch of texts and emails that i had missed... i didnt think anything of it, just thot maybe i was sleeping really hard and didnt hear any of those notifications... till i recieved a call... it was vibrating, not ringing tho! but the volume was turned up to normal... so i played a song.. YEP SPEAKER IS BLOWN!! A-FREAKIN-GAIN!! O yeah, i might add, this is what happend the last time too... which was just a few months ago.... ughhhhhhhh! so i am going to go back into the sprint store (that i got this phone from) and get it replaced AGAIN... but when i get my new one, im def gonna try the tape or tissue paper trick... LETS SEE IF IT WORKS THO!! LOL ANYONE ELSE HAVE GOOD LUCK WITH COVERING THE SPEAKER WITH TISSUE PAPER OR TAPE?? DOES IT AFFECT THE SOUND QUALITY AT ALL???
    If anybody wants to put my experiment to rest, try this...

Try breaking-in your speaker before jammin' out at 100%. Try it at 40~50% all night one night while sleeping... 60-70% a second night... ~90% a third night... and then 100% from the next morning on.

I did something similar, where it took me a few days to reach 100%. I have had NO PROBLEM with my speaker at 100% now, where I could notice that the speaker would have blown had I kept it at 100% after first taking it outta the box. Also noticed this with launch day Pres at around 10 to 11 pm.

Not like you should HAVE to go this far outta your way to get the speaker sounding normal, but breaking-in certain things should just be LAW now.
    I have had 5 pre's due to blown speaker. Each time due to dropping the phone. Not from a high fall or anything but like pocket high at the most. Evertime the phone hit the floor I would check the speaker sound and whoop there it is a blown speaker. All friends that drop there pre's same problem.
    i am a welder and metal shavings and speakers dont mix! i have replaced 4 pres due to blown speakers ive tried tape but i just keep mine in a ziploc when i am in the shop. oh and keep it away from a plasma cutter that will fry your speaker.
    im on my 4th pre due to the speaker.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I'm on my second Pre, both had speakers die within the first month. But now that I see sprint will replace after their 30 days, I'm going to go in and get another one. Just a matter of backing up all my contacts first. Any good software recommendations? It would literally take 2 days for me to back all my contacts up to my Gmail.

Never listen to music or play videos, and use quiet ringtones.

Heck, I'd settle for a way to just swap the speaker if anyone has any tips for that.
  20. ZR1
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Revrico you can see at the top of the page that I swapped out the speaker myself, it isn't very difficult, but I don't know what skill level I'd put it at either, maybe I gifted .
    I took a speaker out of an old centro and I had to modify it by soldering the pre's speaker's contacts to it, but if you bought a perfect match speaker for it then it would be even easier for you.

All you do is take the battery cover off remove the battery and remove the 6 tiny torx screws, then flip it over and get a fingernail or I used an Ipod repair plastic pry tool to get underneath the bottom of the keyboard bezel it snaps off at the bottom portion and once loosen you actually slide the 2 legs of the bezel out from under the top half of the slider. be careful that just the bezel is lifting up because the black keyboard film sometimes likes to try and follow as you begin to lift.
    Now, after that is a little bit of a tricky part, you have to remove the volume rocker switch, looking inside where the battery sits and at the bottom of the rocker switch. you'll see a tiny hole poke something tiny in there gently! and that releases the little plastic rocker button. You'll notice the top of the rocker button has a tab that slides right out after you release the bottom. Now the switches themselves can be seen they're part of a flexible circuit that you lift off, out of the way when you're ready to remove the back section of the phone where the speaker is at. ( the volume switches do not come off with the back )
    But one more thing before you pull to separate it, the antenna wires need disconnected you'll find them hidden underneath a removable metal lid located down under a black sticker overlay just to the left of the battery contacts and the touchstone contacts (backside of the i o p keys). The antenna connectors are small gold with black and white wires.
    Now you can separate the back, just keep an eye on the volume switch, and walah! there's the speaker it just needs to be lifted out of the cavity.
    To reassemble just get the back close and focus on the volume switch to have it coming out where it needs to be and not trapped, there is a notch and tab to make sure the volume switch is in location, and the plastic button for volume slides up and in at the top and snaps back into the bottom.
    Then you can connect the antenna wires and lay the cover back over them.
    When you get back to putting the keyboard bezel back on, get the top legs and leading edge started up under the slider and while keeping an even pressure across the entire top portion slide it under if done right look @left side and the right side legs should be nice and flush and only then do you finish snapping it in place.
    And that's it

Hope this helps
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast