Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by glynnmi View Post
    HAs anyone had this problem post 1.3.5? I had it happen twice prior but not at all since.
    Yes, it has happened to me before and several times after 1.3.5. It has happened to me in pandora, music player and dr. podder. Does not seem to be app related. Could it be OS related? not sure. It is related to the fact that you stick any device into that jack and play audio, stop the audio, close the app and then remove the device. Any way you slice it the same problem happens, you got no speaker. All I know is that I am worn out on it. I usually fix it by listening to voice mail with device plugged in and then removing it from jack. I hate feeling like I dont want to listen to external speakers or headset because I will then have to jack around glitching it back. People need to be more ****ed about this and not settle for these mickey mouse solutions (no offense intended, thank god for forums, but come on).

and where does my real anger come from Palm? Are you listening? ?? I had a treo 650, 680 then a 755p that ALL HAD THIS SAME @oD Da M n issue! It is sooooooooo ridiculous! OK, that is all, thanks for reading (if you made it this far).
    well i'm having the same problem. speaker phone works to answer calls but ear piece doesn't. also the screen sensor isn't working when i answer a call(the one that you put up to your ear and turns your screen off on a call).

I have tried the plug and unplug method and nothing...it keeps pausing my music when i take out the headphones...or if im on a call it will hang up when i plug and unplug...

this is my second pre that has done this, the first i just exchanged for a new one at the sprint store. I used a can of air to try and clean it but haven't tried the Qtip and alcohol method and would rather not lol.

any other suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post
    Just got my Pre on Saturday and had this issue on Sunday. Listened to some mp3s on Sun morning and while at the store later found out I couldn't use the earpiece or mic for calls. I panicked and didn't have headphones on me. Raced home and inserted them in and out about 5 times to fix. I love the phone to death, but this type of issue worries me.
    Get a different phone. These phones have tons of issues. I'm really disappointed that I cant switch to another phone even though I have problems like battery barely lasting 10 hrs when on wifi, gets stuck in headphone mode randommly, browser just lags like hell after 15 minutes of browsing, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by glynnmi View Post
    HAs anyone had this problem post 1.3.5? I had it happen twice prior but not at all since.
    Yes, my issue was post 1.3.5 update.
    I wish I had seen this thread before I blew it and plugged in the headset. I guess I'm f'd now...
    Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    i took my phone in because I couldn't get this issue fixed and they couldn't repair it with a cleaning so I had to pay the 100 bucks for a new (refurb) one.

I am on 1.3.5.1 and just had the same issue again today with the new phone. Had to plug headphones in and out like 5 times to get it working again. Not only that I am starting to hear that dreaded crackling when I move my headphone jack around and will sometimes lose sound in one ear.

I typically take my pre when I go for a run and yesterday every step messed with the sound of the headphones. No sound in one ear, then no sound in another.

I really think the issue is with their choise of headphone jack. I think they went cheap and it's biting them in the ****. Thankfully I have the insurance now so if I can't fix it i'll just get a new one.
    harware issue not sw. doesnt matter what sw version your on.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I tried pretty much everything on this thread multiple times over the course of two or three days before finally breaking out the Q-Tip and alcohol. It worked immediately!

I already have stereo bluetooth headphones on the way, so hopefully this won't happen again in the future.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    I have a question, if your headphone jack is kinda loose and it makes that annoying crackling sound when you listen to music or when u use the headphones to make calls. will palm replace it under their warranty?
    One thing that has not been mentioned is who of all these people and their respective fixes have bluetooth enabled and have that bluetooth device connected.

My issue occurred with BT on and connected. I was listening to streaming music, and pulled out the cable, got far away from my BT device where it lost connection, and then couldn't hear anything unless it was the speaker phone.

My only fix, keeping in mind that BT was still enabled, was calling the Voicemail technique.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by lldsandsll View Post
    ur doing it wrong.

super easy fix:

plug headphones/headset in and out a few times. it will come back. done this multiple times, so have others.
    Thanks man I was searching around for this very answer...whew..
    Quote Originally Posted by lqdice View Post
    Are they really fixing it or just cleaning the jack? Cleaning the jack will "fix" it for a little while but the issue is still there. Are they able to really fix the problem somehow?
    Our fix for this issue is to clean the headset jack with Denatured Alcohol, compressed air and a 3.5 mm headset. We have about a 90% success rate with this issue, and we keep track of the devices that come in for this issue. In my particular location, I've seen maybe two come back with the same issue. However, we repair about 10 or so a week.. That's a pretty darn good success rate.

The same issue has happened with every Palm series that I've seen dating back to the Treo 650. This has always been the fix. My personal opinion is that Palm needs to start adding a headset jack cover onto the design of each of their phones (like the charging port is covered).. we rarely see any issues with the phones that have it covered..

We're not authorized by Palm to actually open the Pre or the Pixi, fyi.
    Cleaning the headphone jack with a Q-tip also took care of the "crackling" noise problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kytton View Post
    Our fix for this issue is to clean the headset jack with Denatured Alcohol, compressed air and a 3.5 mm headset. We have about a 90% success rate with this issue, and we keep track of the devices that come in for this issue. In my particular location, I've seen maybe two come back with the same issue. However, we repair about 10 or so a week.. That's a pretty darn good success rate.

The same issue has happened with every Palm series that I've seen dating back to the Treo 650. This has always been the fix. My personal opinion is that Palm needs to start adding a headset jack cover onto the design of each of their phones (like the charging port is covered).. we rarely see any issues with the phones that have it covered..

We're not authorized by Palm to actually open the Pre or the Pixi, fyi.
    I wish I never moved back from California. That sure is a nice pic!!
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Agreed with the Q-tip and alcohol solution, it works for me every single time. All it takes to fool a device with headphone detection into thinking the headphones are plugged in is a little bit of metallic dust shorting the connections. Different headphones will have metal shaved off them at different rates, some people have nasty pockets, it all depends. Regardless, Q-tip and alcohol every time. Think of it like a Nintendo; you can sit there and blow on it all day or just clean it right the first time.
    the way that worked best for me: call voicemail with headphones already plugged in. Press mute twice. Remove head phones. Done
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I agree this should be a sticky and the OP's method for restoring earphone speaker works for most people. Others have reported success by toggling the mute button. Others have reported success by cleaning the jack with rubbing alcohol or lens cleaner.

The fact of the matter is that there are many phones being exchanged needlessly and if this issue was stickied it could solve a lot of people some grief.

I think that Pandora may have a bug in their software that is causing this because to the best of my knowledge nobody has reported this problem from listening to Mp3s using the built in media player.
    It happened to me from using Navigation with the headphones on. I don't even listen to Music on the pre and I've been afraid to put the headphones back in since it locked up as palm support had me wipe my device....
    Same problem here on a GSM Pre.
    I had actually sent it back to O2 IRL before I found this thread.

They have to send it to Palm in the UK to be repaired and I'll have to wait 2 weeks at least to get it back.. They gave me a temporary Nokia E51...its like going back to the last century!

Gx
    If your phone is stuck in headset mode, then that means the jack is making contact with something that makes it believe an 8in miniplug. The solution to fix it is to clean it. First turn off the phone! Then twist up a tissue or paper towel (or use a qtip with the cotton taken off) and put a little bit of alcohol on it and scrub the jack. An easier solution is to use compressed air into the jack.
    If neither of those solutions work, then something else is wrong with the phone and an easier solution is to take it to a sprint shop. I mean you are paying however much a month to use it right. Plus if you have the insurance plan, you might as well use it and not waste that money.
    It happened to me when I was using radiotime.
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast