Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    My 2nd Pre is now doing this and Sprint has ordered me a 3rd phone, which will also be a refurb. I don't know why its doing it and I don't care. If the 3rd Pre starts acting up I've already decided that I'll be chucking the Pre into the cardboard box of other used phones and go back to Virgin Mobile.

Love the 'idea' of the Pre, but here it is 4 months after rlease and my phone still can't do videos, send or receive data via wifi OR bluetooth. Something my 3 year old Motorola Razr can do. Sigh.

The honeymoon is over Palm.
    On my second Pre because of this problem. The new one did the same thing the other day, I took it in and they fixed it. However, I don't really know what they did. Thanks to this thread I'll know what to try next time. This problem is a real pain in the rear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    My Pre eventually unstuck itself from headset mode. I just played music & inserted my headphones a bunch of times really fast until the music blared from the speaker.
    This worked for me, thank you very much.

Seems like an odd combination of hardware/software that operates this function.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Stuck in headset mode? Try this:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...sue-fixed.html

The very first post in this thread has a simple little fix so I bookmarked the thread. The problem happened to me one time a week or so ago and I tried the fix. It worked right away.

Hope this fix works for everybody here too. (Feel free to hit the Thanks button if this helped.)
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Happened to me as well and so now I always make sure to turn the screen on, stop/pause/or close the music app, then unplug headphones. Hasn't happened again since I take these annoying little steps to seemingly prevent it.. .
    (oh and running a music app then plugging/unplugging headphones a bunch of times fixed it for me too)
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    My conversations get "cut" a lot...
    This refurbished Pre I got seems to have a lot of problems with the headjack.

And ever since I've had this problem (it was resolved), I've had people getting cut off from the conversation. They can apparently hear me, but I can't hear them.
    UGH.
    Mine has gone on the frits and doesn't work. I can get it to work sometimes, but as soon as I plug in the headphones and then remove them, it doesn't work and I can't hear any phone calls. Talked to a Palm rep on their chat. We went threw all the tests and restarts that I have seen here and nothing. So now I'm sending the Pre to them to see if they can fix it. We'll see how this goes.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speak easy View Post
    I figured it out! While on a call, I plugged and unplugged the headphones. The Pre recognized the headphones were off finally and now it works.
    SWEET - thanks for this fix!!!
    I have yet to see a report that this fix doesn't work, and I repeat it on about a daily basis:
    1. Get a qtip, remove most of the cotton from one side.
    2. Dip it in rubbing alcohol.
    3. Use it to clean the inside of your headphones jack.
    4. Observe properly functioning Pre.
    5. Pester one of the mods to sticky this solution so we don't have to do this every day.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    The headphone trick "plugging it in and takin it out worked for me!! Thanks a LOT
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I agree this should be a sticky and the OP's method for restoring earphone speaker works for most people. Others have reported success by toggling the mute button. Others have reported success by cleaning the jack with rubbing alcohol or lens cleaner.

The fact of the matter is that there are many phones being exchanged needlessly and if this issue was stickied it could solve a lot of people some grief.

I think that Pandora may have a bug in their software that is causing this because to the best of my knowledge nobody has reported this problem from listening to Mp3s using the built in media player.
    same problem happened to me using the built in media player... still trying to fix. Sprint couldn't fix, best buy couldn't, all solutions on here so far have not worked. Best buy quoted a 1 to 2 week turn around and did not have a smartphone for me to use in the mean time. I have all my work email on here, so I am hoping to find a fix.
    I'm on Pre #3. Both have had this issue. I use my headphones every day, if the jack can't last more than 2 months without a fix, hack, or any other garbage, I don't want it. Why is this so hard? Every other device with headphones doesn't have this issue. I've had mp3 players last years, computer headphone jacks last years, hell, even ipods and iphones last years. My Pres haven't even lasted two months. This is garbage. If this one breaks, I'm done with Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by pennpre View Post
    Mentioned this in another thread, but plugging a set of headphones in while on a call , I just call my voicemail, then unplugging them while still on the call should switch you back to handset speaker mode. Works for me at least.

I did the same and rid my problem.
    What is wrong with this phone??? I'm glad I found this forum thread. I eventually fixed my problem by opening up the music player, playing a song, waiting about 10 sec, turn stopping the song, then flicking the card away...and after waiting another 10-15 sec, I pulled the headphone out. It worked.

Nevertheless, I'm really disappointed that this phone is having this kind of problem. I was really banking on listening to podcasts on my phone during my commute by foot. Now I have to worry about not having headphones with me when a phone call comes in since it may end up stuck again in headset mode. Ridiculous.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Nothing posted so far in this thread worked for me.

Problems: Phone thinks it's in headset mode. From the sounds & ringtones screen I can get it to output to the back speaker if I change the ringtone volume, but choosing a ringtone doesn't play any sound unless I have headphones plugged in. I can only hear things while on a call through the speakerphone setting or with headphones. Music player app only plays through headphones when they're plugged in, doesn't play anything otherwise.

Tried the instructions where you unplug the headset after closing the music app.
    Tried unplugging it while on a call.
    Tried rubbing alcohol and a q tip.
    Tried sym+orange+r.
    Tried taking the battery out while it's on, after shutting down, etc.
    Tried webos doctor (second day in a row, last time it was because the keyboard stopped working)
    Last edited by s00pcan; 11/14/2009 at 09:05 PM.
    My brother works at a Sprint corporate store. My keyboard stopped working, so what he did was take out the battery and push circuit-board for the keyboard down "towards" the keys. They use a small tool for that at the store, he said, but he used his nail and it works fine now.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I have yet to see a report that this fix doesn't work, and I repeat it on about a daily basis:
    5. Pester one of the mods to sticky this solution so we don't have to do this every day.

works everytime
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Didn't work for me yesterday when I had this problem.

What did work was 3 full reboot cycles and lots of messing with speaker mode in calls.

I don't think it's a hardware problem.

Curiously my iPhone colleages report having the exact same problem and the same collection of solutions.
    I know we might be getting lots round-robin posts by now, with as many times as this issue gets posted, but here's another thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...r-speaker.html
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    None of the solutions are working for me with 1.3.1. What the hell! Might have to go get my 5th replacement phone. This is nuts.
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast