Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I tried everything and nothing worked. Then read this in another thread.

Turn it upside down and blow into it.

This solved it for me. I was shocked.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Blowing in mine upside down also worked for me. I got a sprint pre + with 2.1, and I was doing the old method of inserting the headphone jack in and out to get it to switch back to reg mode, but since 2.1 when I try that I get voice dial tutorial now instead .
    I had some success cleaning the headset jack with a pipe cleaner, sometimes with rubbing alcohol. I can reliably eliminate the problem that way. Unfortunately, it always comes back sooner or later, often when I am out on the street and don't have a pipe cleaner with me. I'm going to try the Ghastly Headset.
    My phone was replaced due to a sound issue and it was replaced with another palm pre but it came with the headset issue. Hoping to fix tonight with the information I've read. The tech staff at the repair shop didn't seem to have any clue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr3yGhOsT View Post
    I wanted to weigh in with my thoughts on the Pre headphone jack issue, and to see if there is any common thread in the issues everyone has experienced.
    I returned my first Pre as it got stuck in 'headphone mode' where the external speaker would not work, nor would the earpiece/proximity sensor would work when on a call...I had to use speakerphone mode when on a call and could not hear anything playing out of the built in speaker (except calls on speaker mode and system sounds like swiping away a card).

My second Pre has been having the same issue, even after the 1.31 update. So I wanted to share what I have seen with this issue in hopes it will help others, or gives someone something to go on to figure out why this is happening. I have not returned my second Pre, as it does not seem to be an issue with the phone(I think), but with the software.

It seems to happen when I am listening to Pandora. I notice that it happens when I unplug the cable going from my Pre to my car stereo while Pandora is running or the phone screen is asleep. For example, one day my Pre was on my touchstone in the car plugged in to the stereo. I had to accelerate quickly to get into traffic and the touchstone with my Pre went flying. During the brief flight across the car, the headphone cable came unplugged, and I fished my Pre out of the floorboard and plugged it back. Pandora went right on playing, but when I got to work and unplugged everything, it would not recognize that there were no longer headphones plugged in. Another time it happened, I closed down Pandora, but on the main screen instead of showing the Sprint context pulldown menu in the top left, it still had Pandora. I unplugged the cable, and bam, no external speaker or no handset during calls.

I have seen several posts regarding this on the forums with a variety of fixes that have worked for people...calling your voicemail with headphones plugged in and switch to ringer and then back to vibrate, and then unplug the headphones, using a Q-tip with the cotton removed to clean the headset jack, rebooting, etc. However, the only method that works for me each time is to plug back in the headphone cable, start back up Pandora and quickly remove the headphones and plug them back in. If I see Pandora pause, then I know I am good. It may take a couple of times before it works, but once it does, I am good for a while. Until I unplug again before Pandora has completely shut down, although I have gotten very good at being careful not to do this.
    So my questions for everyone who is also having this issue are these:
    1. When does this happen to you? Is it just while using Pandora? Or is it any application that plays something out of the speakers (music player, YouTube, Sprint TV, telephone call, GPS, etc.)? Has it ever happened when nothing was running?
    2. What has fixed it in the past? (one of the methods above, something else, or nothing fixed it other than returning your Pre)
    3. How often does it happen?

Sorry for the long winded post, just hoping to get more information on this problem. I have a suspicion it is a software issue, but don't want to jump to conclusions. Since I have only had it happen with Pandora, I am curious if that is the culprit, or if it is a bug in the OS. Or maybe it is a issue with the jack itself, but it seems that if something is going to be a weak link in a new phone, it would not be something as mundane and as common as a lowly headset jack...they have been in devices since the walkman.
    I'm quoting GreyGhost's post ^^^, because he defines the issue/fix that has affected my Pre's.

Because this port is unprotected from pocket lint and humidity, buildup of crap is inevitable. Cleaning the jack clearly works for many of those who don't use Pandora but still get this 'stuck' issue. That's one cause. I believe that Pandora is another.

I'm now on my third Pre that has gone into 'stuck' headphone mode and has been replaced by Verizon due to a supposed hardware issue.
    I haven't had my replacement Palm 2 long enough to have a lint buildup issue or stuck pins, etc. in the jack, so I delved into the issue a bit more.
    The common condition/usage that existed with each phone is that I went into 'stuck' headphone mode during or after using Pandora with either a headphone or an audio out plugged into the Pre (via Aux in my car stereo).
    In my case, there's no doubt in my mind that Pandora is triggering this 'stuck' headphone condition - specifically the insertion/removal of a headphone jack/input jack combined with starting & stopping Pandora and/or pausing and playing Pandora.

Pandora seems to be very quirky when it comes to inserting and/or removing a headphone/output jack. It's also quirky when using the Pause & Play buttons, or when a call comes in.
    A way to test if it's the stuck headset is related to Pandora, is to see if Pandora plays through the speaker when the headphone jack is removed. If it doesn't, it's likely that an improper shutdown of Pandora and/or removal/insertion of the headphone jack while Pandora was playing that caused the issue.

I tried the cotton swab; repeated in/out of the plug; starting Pandora with the plug in method; then with the plug out method...all to no avail.

Here's what 'unsticks' headphone mode for me:
    With the headphone plugged in and Pandora playing through the headphone, remove the headphone plug. Press Pandora's pause button. Remove the headphones. Then press Pandora's Play button.
    If you get sound through your speaker, that's an indication that you're out of 'stuck' mode. Confirm by making a call without the headset plugged in.
    You may have to repeat this a few times with a series of plugging in the headphones, taking them out and toggling from pause to play.

To prevent this from happening again, I agree with the majority who are in the Pandora-is-the-culprit camp: Plug in your headset/aux plug before starting Pandora. Keep it plugged in the whole time that Pandora is running. You must fully shut down Pandora (give it a few seconds to shut down) before removing the headphone/aux plug.
    Theonlyix likes this.
    I can confirm that this also works with spotify, noway this is hardware related.
    the unplugging while paused in spotify did the trick

I've had the issue on both pre - and pre 2.
    with both an escalating factor seems to have been using spotify with aux in my car stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by jptl View Post
    I'm quoting GreyGhost's post ^^^, because he defines the issue/fix that has affected my Pre's.

Because this port is unprotected from pocket lint and humidity, buildup of crap is inevitable. Cleaning the jack clearly works for many of those who don't use Pandora but still get this 'stuck' issue. That's one cause. I believe that Pandora is another.

I'm now on my third Pre that has gone into 'stuck' headphone mode and has been replaced by Verizon due to a supposed hardware issue.
    I haven't had my replacement Palm 2 long enough to have a lint buildup issue or stuck pins, etc. in the jack, so I delved into the issue a bit more.
    The common condition/usage that existed with each phone is that I went into 'stuck' headphone mode during or after using Pandora with either a headphone or an audio out plugged into the Pre (via Aux in my car stereo).
    In my case, there's no doubt in my mind that Pandora is triggering this 'stuck' headphone condition - specifically the insertion/removal of a headphone jack/input jack combined with starting & stopping Pandora and/or pausing and playing Pandora.

Pandora seems to be very quirky when it comes to inserting and/or removing a headphone/output jack. It's also quirky when using the Pause & Play buttons, or when a call comes in.
    A way to test if it's the stuck headset is related to Pandora, is to see if Pandora plays through the speaker when the headphone jack is removed. If it doesn't, it's likely that an improper shutdown of Pandora and/or removal/insertion of the headphone jack while Pandora was playing that caused the issue.

I tried the cotton swab; repeated in/out of the plug; starting Pandora with the plug in method; then with the plug out method...all to no avail.

Here's what 'unsticks' headphone mode for me:
    With the headphone plugged in and Pandora playing through the headphone, remove the headphone plug. Press Pandora's pause button. Remove the headphones. Then press Pandora's Play button.
    If you get sound through your speaker, that's an indication that you're out of 'stuck' mode. Confirm by making a call without the headset plugged in.
    You may have to repeat this a few times with a series of plugging in the headphones, taking them out and toggling from pause to play.

To prevent this from happening again, I agree with the majority who are in the Pandora-is-the-culprit camp: Plug in your headset/aux plug before starting Pandora. Keep it plugged in the whole time that Pandora is running. You must fully shut down Pandora (give it a few seconds to shut down) before removing the headphone/aux plug.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    So, my boss has had this problem with his phone from the beginning. Normally, I can get it to work again by simply cleaning the headset jack with a qtip and alcohol. This time it didn't work. I tried many of the suggestions posted here (just short of tearing the phone apart). Nothing would get it back to "normal." Then, I had an idea ...

I use a bluetooth earpiece. I paired my bluetooth with his phone. Then, I started a call using the bluetooth earpiece. Once it started ringing, I switched the call to "normal." It worked! I keep testing it, and the phone appears to not be stuck in headset mode anymore.
    Nicky
    thejorge likes this.
    Yah...it's amazing. I blow into it as well and it works...but just for a few seconds. Such a weird problem. Just doesn't make sense doing all the trouble shooting. Is this a software or hardware problem..I can't figure it out. " I blow in it and it works for a few seconds...what's that mean???!!!"

I can hear everything through Ear Phone (music, app sounds, etc) but not when I am on the phone. Speaker phone, head set, and blue tooth work...but not incoming voice or ringing through ear phone.

PLEASE...someone give me an answer. I don't want to pay $100 for replacement phone.

THANKS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nsanders View Post
    So, my boss has had this problem with his phone from the beginning. Normally, I can get it to work again by simply cleaning the headset jack with a qtip and alcohol. This time it didn't work. I tried many of the suggestions posted here (just short of tearing the phone apart). Nothing would get it back to "normal." Then, I had an idea ...

I use a bluetooth earpiece. I paired my bluetooth with his phone. Then, I started a call using the bluetooth earpiece. Once it started ringing, I switched the call to "normal." It worked! I keep testing it, and the phone appears to not be stuck in headset mode anymore.
    I tried everything and was about to spend $$$ to get a new phone...BUT...your solution of the call with Blue Tooth engaged and then switch into normal mode WORKED!!! Second day and still working. I guess I'll just have to never use the head phones/ear plugs again.

THANKS!!!
    I've had an issue where the headset doesn't work, but the back speaker
    does. I can't use the phone normally but speakerphone works... Thought it was the recent update to the contact name in large yellow letters patch bc when it first happened a few days ago I removed that and it worked again. Then it happened today ( I had put the patch back) removing the patch and other patches, restarts and shutdowns did nothing. I removed my theme and ran per. Now my launcher is completely blank! Next, the doctor once I get some juicemin the battery. I've had pres since aug 09 and never had the headset issue
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    I almost took mine in for repair until I figure it out. it was dirty inside, dust, that's all. Get a q tip, take some of the cotton off so it will fit in jack hole, dip in rubbing alcohol, then put it in and spin a few times. When I took it out, I could see the dust on the tip. I did this over a month ago and I have not had a problem since
    I also just fixed my pre plus with this issue.
    Although it started after I unplugged my stereo headphones while listening to the music player...

None of the software +/- plugging/unplugging nor any combinations of rebooting w or w/o popping the battery out while it was turned on DID ANYTHING!

What worked for me was the alcohol & Q-tip method.

In my work as an Electronics Technician over the years I have encountered myriad problems with 3.5mm headphone jacks. Most 3.5mm [1/8 in] jacks are not built to stand up to much abuse. Add to that the fact that many people carry these phones in their pockets or on their belts with no protection of the jack, it's no wonder they have problems.

NOTE: my phone was on my hip [OEM clip] a few weeks ago when I was caught in a downpour. So I'm not surprised it did this now.

I believe that everyone, or nearly everyone at least, is experiencing a hardware issue. Why? Because A. this jack is a poor design and B. most of the fixes [if not all] involve some combination of plugging/unplugging the headphones; it is clear to me that it is a bad connection.

The most common design is such that the plugging in of a headset opens the contacts that signal that the headset is plugged in. If the contacts become oxidized they won't make a connection when the headphones are unplugged and the contacts come back together.

Some program has to detect the contact closure, so that is why people are thinking it's software.

Sometimes simply repeatedly plugging in a headphone is good enough. Sometimes alcohol is good enough. But sometimes the oxidation is bad enough to need more aggressive cleaning, or can't be fixed. That's why the other methods don't always work. In the case of an optical sensor, a Q-tip or canned air should work.
    Last edited by e-gadget-guy; 10/03/2011 at 01:56 AM.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    I've bought my Pixi Plus several weeks ago. I already had this problem with no sound from phone speaker but somehow had solved it. Now it returns. ((

I did everything from this thread finishing with Ghastly utility installed. It shows that my current Media mode is "Speaker" and Phone mode is "Front Speaker".

But there is no sound when I trying to use my Pixi as a phone without Headset. Rear speaker, speakerphone and music/system sounds are working.

Please help!

UPDATE: My solution is to quickly put in and put out headphones' jack while Phone app open, waiting for sound appears in the phone speaker... What a mystery...
    Last edited by ulrith; 10/12/2011 at 12:45 PM.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Does anyone know of a way to check the current speaker mode setting for the TouchPad? My speakers went out but I have sound via headphones. Eerily similar to this issue I "loved" on my pre-.
    Same issue, tried everything on here and nothing worked until I put a few drops of WD40 in the jack. Left it for 10 minutes and presto....it is working again. I'm glad my Veer doesn't have that kind of jack.
    First, I love preCentral. I've learned a lot from it, even managed to revive completely dead Pre's. Until today I stuck to reading.
    Now I have something to add to the hardware/software related issue:

I've had my german o2 pre for about 1,5 years when the headset issue started. First it was a one time deal, which was resolved by plugging in and unplugging a 3.5-jack.
    A month or two later I plugged in a computer speaker to listen to music (probably the tenth time I plugged in a jack, I normally use my mp3 player) When I unplugged it, it stayed in headset mode. What I've tried since then (in no particular order);

Q-tip (did not work (dnw))
    Q-tip with alcohol (dnw)
    Blow in air with aerosol can (dnw)
    Blow in air with a 10 bar compressor (dnw)
    Plug/unplug headphones/headsets (I tried all I have at home, about fifteen of them, dnw)
    Graphite powder trick (dnw)
    Start a program, music, calls, etcetera while plugging in or unplugging a headset in every way imaginable (dnw)
    Perform diagnostics (dnw)
    Webos doctor the **** out of it (dnw)
    Erased everything possible on the device and installed webos 2.1.0 (great update, but dnw )
    Ghastly headset (works but switching it again every time you use it is a *****)
    Shout at it (dnw)
    Put it in the freezer for an hour in a sealed bag without the battery (works with harddrives, not with the pre though, dnw)
    Ignore it for a couple of weeks while enjoying a new pre 3 (dnw)

Today I got the confirmitaion that I don't have any warranty (I live in the Netherlands and bought it unopened but second hand in Germany, which was the only way to get it)

So, I opened her up.
    i.imgur.com/g9zoD.jpg (can't post links yet, but it is a stock photo)

The headset connector is build into the backplate and makes contact with the motherboard using several pressure contacts. The backplate further houses the speaker and GSM/GPS antenna.
    It is possible to boot the phone without the backplate and thus without the headset connector. I did this to see what the problem is, and what it did next baffled me.
    It was still stuck in headset mode!!!!! There wasn't even a headset connector present, and still it detected a headset. I even checked if the connectors on the motherboard shortcircuited; they didn't.

How the hell is this possible?

[edit]
    I cleaned the motherboard with alcohol, rebooted the phone, plugged in the headset and pulled it out again, and voila. No more headset mode
    Last edited by Gisae; 10/31/2011 at 08:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gisae View Post
    So, I opened her up.
    Would love to know how you did this.

Likewise, I've tried everything (except the Bluetooth ear piece trick) and the only thing that works is the Ghastly Headset, which is a pain.
    So i have the same problem.I have absolute no sound during calls.The caller hears nothing from me,me neither from him.But it's a little weird.It is not stuck in headset mode,the icon changes when i plug in/plug out the headsets but no sound at all.In the test menu everything passed OK,i had sound in earpice,speaker,headphones,both MIC worked.I have sound playing music.All good except calls.I used webos doctor,still nothing.So not software related i guess.I cleaned the plug with alcohol,no dirt at all,was clean.But if the headset worked well with the music,why clean it,right?
    The Pre was on O2 but i personally unlocked it.It has bars on any network,receiving text messages,but no sound.I don't have a O2 sim to test if it works with that one.Could the carrier be the problem?
    i have resigned myseklf to having to use audio switch to force external speaker or headset mode. it isn't much of an issue for me since i do not make calla, but having ti swirch back and forth to recorsd or to listen to musoc is jind of annoying. sorry for all the typos but im@using virtual kwybiard amd well. . yeah, no backspace.
    I was suffering with the no sound issue and tried this app/patch. while it seemed to work, it would return to headphone mode. I did bit of research and found the real fix.
    check out the link Palm Pre headphone jack repair
    The problem is with the headphone jack itself. it can be fixed, but does require dis assembly.
    2012 and I'm still having the infamous "headphone jack." problem. Everything else works except hearing callers through the ear piece.

I've replaced three phones (palm pre) within the last month for the same reason. I saw in a post further up that a member who had the same problem, turn the device upside down and blew into the earphone jack and that seem to did the trick.. I thought it wouldn't hurt doing after several other failed troubleshooting steps. To my surprise, it started working right after that. Keep in mind that I did plugged in and out the headphone jack a few times prior to doing so. So, whichever step got it working... I'm not quite sure, but I'm glad to have found this thread.