Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. dw
    Quote Originally Posted by sveilien View Post
    I pulled the battery when this happened to me, that fixed it. I also pulled the battery when my keyboard stopped working once, fixed that too.

Pulling the battery should be a step for a lot of "lockup" type things that happen to the Pre.
    this definitely did NOT work for me.

using the mailbox icon eventually helped.

no random, no fun.

D
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dw View Post
    this definitely did NOT work for me.

using the mailbox icon eventually helped.

no random, no fun.

D
    The one that worked for me was wiggling the crap out of the jack and repeatedly inserting/removing it.

I have ceased using my Pre Plus at the gym... I went back to my Creative Zen for music while I work out.

I suspect the slight tugs on the cable while exercising were not good for the hardware.

Has anyone had any luck with bluetooth headphones? I'm thinking about trying that, but I hesitate because of the cost in $$ and battery life...
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
    I just had this problem for the first time; the original solution in the first post worked right away.

THANKS to you all!!--it's good to know this thread exists in case it happens again and I need more angles to the dangle.
    This worked for me. I plugged in a headset and called voicemail. I made sure the headset was selected for output then I unplugged the headset while connected. If it does not work for you, clean the jack then repeat.
    Visor->650->Pre
    what i find worked for me the best is...
    plugging in a headset while dialpad card is open and leave it for like 3 .. 5 min. and then remove it.
    that has worked for me several times. Im not sure if its a software issue or a hardware issue. try making sure the plug being used is clean. dirt might confuse it. I just wanted to put in my 2cents
    Quote Originally Posted by pennpre View Post
    Mentioned this in another thread, but plugging a set of headphones in while on a call , I just call my voicemail, then unplugging them while still on the call should switch you back to handset speaker mode. Works for me at least.
    This worked for me YAY I love that I can come here to find solutions to my "pre-problems"...much better than calling customer service
    Quote Originally Posted by Lhastings001 View Post
    This worked for me YAY I love that I can come here to find solutions to my "pre-problems"...much better than calling customer service
    Agree with others: this method (call voicemail, insert headphone, while on call with voicemail remove headphone) worked for me. I had previously tried multiple headphone in/out, phone hard resets, etc.

Many thanks.
    Verizon Palm Pre+, Palm WebOS 1.4.5
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    I now get stuck in headset mode once a week, and the one thing I have learned is that all of the "fixes" are just coincidences. I mean no offense, but I thought I had it when I tried making a phone call then pulling the headset, because that worked twice for me. Then it stopped working. So, I found that pulling the headset after pausing in the media player worked, then it didn't. I started running the audio tests (which ends up shunting all sound to the earpiece) then a re-boot, which worked, then it didn't. There's always the battery pull, which worked once.

I have gotten almost supersitious in trying to prevent this from happening again. I have a routine, I pause my playback, even though pulling the headset also pauses, THEN I pull the headset, THEN I remove the car charger. I've started to wonder if it is connected to the phase of the moon...

I have come to realize that the headset problem is, of course, FOD in the jack, which must be removed before the thing will come out of headset mode. Sometimes it takes compressed air, sometimes an interdental brush, sometimes a Q-tip. Sometimes just plugging and removing the headset does it. Sometimes I have to wait for Saturday to drive it to Reno for the Sprint techs to clear it.

The point is, when you "fix" it by calling your voice mail, what you've really done is cleared the FOD in the jack, by luck, that time that you plugged in the headset and removed it. When you "fix" it by playing Pandora, then pausing, then closing the Pandora card using your left hand; what you've really done is cleared the FOD that time when you put the headset in and removed it.

I don't mean to be snarky here, but I have weekly experience with this problem, and every time it has been fixed with a method that physically clears the jack. Sometimes it involved using certain programs, but it was always in conjunction with physically clearing the jack.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I agree with jkeitz above. Several of the "fixes" have worked for me at one time or another, but eventually the problem came back and a particular fix didn't work but another did.

What I've found works most of the time for me is to (this may scare some people) hold the phone normally and bang the bottom of it against my palm, as if I were "packing down" a pack of cigarettes if you're familiar with that.

I would take it to the sprint store and try to get a replacement except that my phone got wet a long time ago and so I doubt they'll do anything for me.
    This happened to me today for the first time, and thank Sweet Zombie Jesus there was a thread here about it and I was able to fix it in about 5 minutes. Cheers
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Finally fixed! A tech in the Sprint store dipped a headset plug in alcohol and worked the jack for a couple minutes. Haven't had a problem since. The contacts in the jack must have picked up some contamination or oxidation. If software fixes and Q-tip cleaning doesn't help, try this.
    Visor->650->Pre
    After using the headphones a few times while walking the dog at the park, the phone will only work with headphones. Tried all fixes listed here - no luck.
    ATT is sending me a replacement.
    q-tip with alcohol + alcohol coated headphone plug in and out did it for me.
    thanks guys!
    i recently had this problem, and Palm replaced my phone. Of course it became worse over time to the point that I literally could sit there and watch my screen turn on, and hold my phone up to my ear and hear the headphone jack somehow click over and over as it shorted between modes. It was weird to hear my phone click like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    i recently had this problem, and Palm replaced my phone. Of course it became worse over time to the point that I literally could sit there and watch my screen turn on, and hold my phone up to my ear and hear the headphone jack somehow click over and over as it shorted between modes. It was weird to hear my phone click like that.
    This is precisely what mine is doing right now. If I take the back off, I can press on a spot just below the speaker and hear a click/pop every time. I believe I have a loose connection somewhere that keeps popping it into headset mode. With a headset plugged in, I can push on the plug laterally and hear a pop. So yeah, I think something has come loose--a solder joint or something. I can pretty reliably get it back out of headset mode by doing the short media play/close card/wait 15 sec then pull the headset trick, but that's a pain. And then I have to be careful to not tweak it again, or it will go back to headset.

Oh yes, forgot to mention, I can also turn my phone on by squeezing it. So if your power button is no longer working, this is a benefit.

Of course, this is a 6/6/09 Pre (never replaced), so I'm going to have to pay for the repair. Taking it to Sprint repair center today.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpre View Post
    you can also try to test the phone audio system by launching the device info app > tab more info > preferences > and select interactive tests. hopefully that works.
    Device info is the name of the app? i looked on the app catalog and i did not find it. Where can i find it at?
    Here's what I did that fixed it:
    1) Plug in headphones
    2) Call voicemail
    3) While on the line with voicemail, switch to speakerphone
    4) Unplug headphones
    5) Turn off speakerphone. Sound is now coming from earpiece.

I'm not convinced it's a hardware problem. I use my Pre almost every day for listening to podcasts, but I've only had this problem occur twice. Both times, though, it occurred after getting a phone call while listening to a podcast.
    Reporting back on my issue. Took my phone to Sprint repair center. They apparently now have the ability to replace the plug assembly for $35. They considered doing that, but they were fairly disturbed by the ability to turn the phone on by squeezing it. They had never seen that before. So they replaced the phone with a refurb. Total cost to me: $35. That's outside the warranty period with no insurance on it. The refurb is pristine.

I recommend that if none of the methods in this thread work or if they work but only temporarily that you go visit your nearest repair center.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I would like to say, just as some reference. I am getting my 3rd replacement Palm Pre in the mail this week. The prior two replacements were for a blown/disorted external speaker. I have the stuck earpiece issue now i have tried all of the above, short of a master RESET on the whole device. I have done the reset on just the OS. I have spent about 10 hours on my Phone reading through the forums. I am at a loss. It seems more software issue from what i am seeing, with the help of minor hardware glitches. I think if the speakers you are plugging into have an external power source, it creates a incumbent electrical charge in the ear piece area. This is just a running theory i am working on. I just wanted to let you ppl know what i have gone through. I LOVE webOS. I just LOVE IT. I think when the webOS 2.0 comes out, maybe it will fix some of these issues we regularly have.

Have a wonderful day people

D
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    I've come up with the perfect solution to stuck in headset mode. Don't use the headset jack anymore! Seriously, it is sad that it has to come to this, but I have completely stoppued using the headset jack. I use a Jabra BT 8040 earpiece for calling and listening to Rush while commuting (it is A2DP compliant) and I'm getting a Jabra Halo for music. No more worries about the weekly stuck in headset problem.