Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    I have the same problem and tried the above listed fixes, but none worked. In fact, when playing music/pandora then removing the earphones it will no longer play through the external speaker. Now I can only make phone calls using the speaker phone mode and I can only listen to music by plugging in earphones. Any other suggestions on how to get this issue fixed other than waiting for a Sprint store guy to attempt to fix it?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    My Sprint store ordered me a replacement Pre for this issue as well as the resetting upon slider close issue, even though he couldn't replicate it. Both of these problems cropped up in the last week and my Pre is one from launch. I'm crossing my fingers because I reeeally needed to use my phone yesterday due to an emergency and every time I called, I couldn't hear a damn thing.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I really thought I was the only one with this problem. I'm on my 3rd Pre, second one because of this issue. This one will work for a while then stop, and then about a day later I'll go to answer the phone and it's working. Get's pretty annoying at times. Hopefully they'll figure out a way to fix this problem so when I get my 4th pre this won't be an issue.
    I got my issue resolved, just kept trying the fixes above. I had to go to the car and use the jack cable I'd been using to listen to Pandora in the car. However, the following morning the phone froze and had to remove the battery to get it going again. Then about one minute later it shut it self off. Had to pull battery again. Not a good sign especially when emerency calls are needed.
    me and my friend had the same problem you can try compresed air can maybe the sensor is blocked if that doesnt work its software not hardware and youll want to try a soft reset that also helps correct me if im wrong but softreset is: hold down "orange key" + "sym" + "R" and that should be the soft reset if that doesnt work then you could try the headphone in and out trick but be carefull with that the more times you pull out and in with the headphones then you take a chance of over using the little conections or at least thats what happened to my ipod
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    you can also try to test the phone audio system by launching the device info app > tab more info > preferences > and select interactive tests. hopefully that works.
    I had the same problem, on Sunday (which coincidentally was exactly 1 month/30 days after I got the Pre), and it lasted to Monday morning. No idea what caused it.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpre View Post
    you can also try to test the phone audio system by launching the device info app > tab more info > preferences > and select interactive tests. hopefully that works.
    I ran the interactive test for all Audio sources and they passed. Closed the test and re-opened the music application. Sound is now restored to the speaker!!

Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by speak easy View Post
    I figured it out! While on a call, I plugged and unplugged the headphones. The Pre recognized the headphones were off finally and now it works.
    Been having the same issue today. Searched this thread and tried all other fixes above...however...this one was the only that worked. Kudos.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tal2009 View Post
    I have the same problem and tried the above listed fixes, but none worked. In fact, when playing music/pandora then removing the earphones it will no longer play through the external speaker. Now I can only make phone calls using the speaker phone mode and I can only listen to music by plugging in earphones.
    I have this exact same problem. No music/call audio through earpiece. If I call my voicemail, I can only hear it while on Speakerphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mpre View Post
    I ran the test. I had the music app playing, and during the earpiece test, I could hear their tone AND the music, but as soon as the test was over it was back to the original problem. Did not fix it.

I've put 3 different types of headphones in and pulled them out in every order you can think of. Plug -> Play -> Remove -> Plug -> Stop -> Play etc.. sometimes removing the headphones will stop the music, sometimes it wont. Regardless, no worky.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    UPDATE:
    After 25 minutes in chat with Palm, we were unable to resolve the issue. I tried everything imaginable (including everything posted here) before contacting Palm. After Palm Rep told me there was nothing else to try (likely a hardware issue) we disconnected and I kept trying. 10 minutes later it finally worked - I tried inserting the headset plug at an angle, hoping it would knock whatever sensor loose that was stuck. I guess it worked (or coincidence).

PALM REP told me to have Sprint fix it, as it's likely a circuit problem. I called a 3rd Party Sprint service location, and they said Palm doesn't allow them to open up the phones. So I tried to fix it myself.

Anyways, I'll post the conversation below. Maybe these can be some steps to follow for anyone else with this problem. The names have been changed to protect privacy.

3:18 PM Examining network configuration...
    3:18 PM Connecting to Rescue Gateway: control.app55.logmeinrescue.com...
    3:18 PM Connected to Rescue Gateway. A support representative will be with you shortly.
    3:19 PM Support session established with PALM REP.

3:20 PM MAJIK: Hi PALM REP. I've tried plugging in and removing 3 different headphone jacks multiple times. I've rebooted the phone twice.
    3:20 PM PALM REP: Hello Majik.
    3:20 PM PALM REP: I understand that the ear piece of the Pre is not working. Am I correct/.
    3:20 PM MAJIK: Yes
    3:20 PM PALM REP: correct?*
    3:21 PM MAJIK: Music also does not play through the speaker. Everything works when plugged into headphones
    3:21 PM PALM REP: I really appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue on your own.
    3:21 PM PALM REP: I can help you with the issue.
    3:21 PM PALM REP: Please confirm if you have tried Interactive tests on the device.
    3:21 PM MAJIK: I have. During the test I could hear the tone through the earpiece AND I could hear the music playing in the app
    3:21 PM PALM REP: Thank you for confirming.
    3:23 PM PALM REP: Do you see headset icon on the Pre screen?
    3:23 PM MAJIK: I did the Audio test on Interactive Tests. It tells me to "unplug your headset microphone from the headset jack" but nothing is plugged in
    3:23 PM MAJIK: I see the headset icon when in the Phone app.
    3:23 PM PALM REP: Thank you for the additional information.
    3:23 PM PALM REP: In oder to isolate the issue, connect the headset to the phone. Open the music application. Play a song through music application. Disconnect the headset and close the music application.
    3:24 PM PALM REP: Check if you are able to see the headset icon in phone application.
    3:25 PM PALM REP: Let me know if you need any help.
    3:25 PM MAJIK: Plugged in headset, opened music app, heard music playing, closed app, unplugged. Headset icon is still in phone app
    3:25 PM MAJIK: I do hear the "swoosh" when closing the app (ringer switch on)
    3:26 PM PALM REP: Okay. Connect the headset. Open the music application. Play a song. Disconnect the headset and then close the music application.
    3:26 PM PALM REP: First close the music application and then disconnect the headset.
    3:27 PM MAJIK: I'm sorry, I think that's what I did before (just typed it wrong). Still didn't change anything
    3:27 PM PALM REP: Check if the headset icon is still displaying.
    3:27 PM PALM REP: Thank you for trying.
    3:27 PM MAJIK: Yes, it is
    3:27 PM PALM REP: Majik, have you tried removing the battery from the phone and replace?
    3:27 PM MAJIK: I've inserted and removed 3 different headsets. No I haven't, try that now?
    3:27 PM PALM REP: Please remove the battery from the device. Wait for 20 seconds and then replace it.
    3:28 PM PALM REP: Yes please.
    3:29 PM MAJIK: Device is restarting
    3:29 PM PALM REP: Okay.
    3:31 PM PALM REP: Once the device restarts, check the ear piece functionality.
    3:32 PM MAJIK: Still doesn't work. Headset icon still shown, and screen doesn't dim when next to my face
    3:32 PM MAJIK: Time to reset the device? ;-)
    3:33 PM PALM REP: Please give me a minute while I check the other possibilities.
    3:33 PM MAJIK: No problem. You're the boss
    3:33 PM PALM REP: Thank you.
    3:36 PM PALM REP: Thank you for being on hold.
    3:37 PM PALM REP: Majik, let me explain you as what the diagnosis so far concludes.

3:37 PM MAJIK: Okay
    3:37 PM PALM REP: The steps which we tried to address the speaker(ear piece)issue should get fixed as it was a minor issue with the device or the functionality.
    3:37 PM PALM REP: Now that it is not the case, it goes to show that the issue is with the device hardware and we need to proceed with the repair of the device.
    3:37 PM PALM REP:
    As it is a new device, you will be having 1 year warranty for it and the repairs for it will be a free one.
    3:37 PM PALM REP: When and where did you purchase the device?
    3:38 PM MAJIK: Sprint store (not 3rd party) - Murfreesboro, TN about 2 months ago
    3:38 PM MAJIK: June originally, replaced in July due to battery problems.

3:39 PM PALM REP has stopped servicing requests. Please wait.
    3:39 PM Support session established with PALM REP.

3:39 PM PALM REP: Okay.
    3:41 PM PALM REP: All you need is to make call to sprint that all the possible steps to conclude the screen issue are done and it is confirmed to be an issue with the device hardware.
    3:41 PM PALM REP: They will disconnect your service and process a free repair for your device.
    3:41 PM PALM REP: Once you get a new device, your service will be activated on the new device.

3:41 PM PALM REP: If it is the minor issue and repairable, they will repair and return the device then and there.
    3:42 PM PALM REP: So I suggest you to contact near by Sprint store and explain the issue.
    3:42 PM MAJIK: This is my only phone - I do not have a land line at my house. Am I able to keep my phone until the new phone arrives? At least I can communicate via speakerphone
    3:42 PM PALM REP: They will help you in resolving the issue.
    3:42 PM PALM REP: I can provide the session ID for reference.
    3:42 PM MAJIK: okay
    3:43 PM PALM REP: Majik, in this case, you just walk down to Sprint store and check if it is repairable than replacing.
    3:43 PM PALM REP: As it is the minor issue, they may repair it then and there. Just a miscommunication between the circuits.
    3:44 PM MAJIK: Okayt
    3:45 PM PALM REP: Here’s the reference number for our chat: Chat session ID number ########. Keep this number as a record of this chat, and if you need to call our Voice Support team or contact us again for this same issue, please refer to this number.
    3:45 PM PALM REP: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
    3:45 PM MAJIK: No, that'll be all.
    You know as a matter of fact I my self stumbled into this same issue,only I was using my IP Bus pin to the head unit of my truck(works great)and when I pulled into the driveway I just unpluged my Pre and went on w/my day,the phone would ring,I answer but hear nothing,so I tried my BT HD worked great,about did a hard reset til I logged in here to find I wasn't the only one,THE HEADPHONES TRICK WORKS-Thanks
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Anyone know if it is a mechanical switch or just detected electrically? Just plugged and unplugged with a mild bit of force to get it to work for me.
    Just wanted to add to the frustrating tails here. I'm having the same problem, started yesterday. However, it seems to be intermittent, i.e. it heals itself without doing the above fancy tricks. It even seems to cut in and out during a call!!!
    Bought the phone from best buy. Better believe I'll be there first thing tomorrow morning...
    One more with same problem. I took it to a Sprint service center. They replaced the mic and speaker for ear and still would not work. Said the only thing I could do was use the one year manufacture warranty and get a refurbished one. So, I got my replacement the next day. The only downside is the fact that they couldn't transfer my contacts over. Oh well, Im pleased over all with my replacement phone.
    thank you guys. taking the head set in and out worked. i have to do it a couple of times but it worked thanks
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Plugging in and removing the headset 3-4 times worked for me.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    Plugging in and removing the headset 3-4 times worked for me.
    Had mine for a few weeks, and this issue crept up yesterday. None of the recommended fixes worked. My phone is now replaced, and the slider works WAYYYYYYYY better than my 'old' Pre.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lldsandsll View Post
    ur doing it wrong.

super easy fix:

plug headphones/headset in and out a few times. it will come back. done this multiple times, so have others.
    this is how i fixed it.........

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Try trimming down a q-tip and cleaning the 3.5mm jack with rubbing alcohol. That has worked for others.
    Thanks for the hint! Mine got stuck silent a few days ago. Tried the jack in-out and the air-blow with no success. But the qtip trick did it (no alcohol needed), first time right!! So I would say a (minor) hardware issue in the earphone plug... :-)
    Last edited by Thibaud; 10/24/2009 at 03:13 PM.
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567 12 ... LastLast