Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    just happened to me for the first time. Hp buyout or not, I'm dumping this phone come june...unacceptable
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by csingrassia View Post
    I have a Palm Pre Plus and all audio functioned fine until the 1.4.1 update. I thought that it was the Pandora app and so I deleted it after trying the headphone fix. I do have the whoosh sound when you swipe something away. I can also hear the phone when it rings. I can not hear any of the ringtone choices or sounds that go with the game apps that I downloaded. I can not hear the sounds on any apps without plugging in the headphone. Any reccommendations?
    This problem doesn't seem to be specific to any one application or phone. It can be either a software or a hardware issue. Both have a solution, but the latter is slightly tougher.

First try the software fix. Open any software that plays sound (Music, Pandora, etc) with a headset plugged into the jack. Let the music play for 20 seconds, and then turn off the music and close the music app. Let the phone sit idle for another 20 seconds or so to make sure all processes associated with music playback have stopped. At that point you can unplug the headset and try playing some sound again. Hopefully it will come from the back speaker now. If not, try that whole routine one more time. If you still have no luck, then you probably need the hardware fix.

The hardware problem (which is certainly not specific to this phone as some on this thread will lead you to believe) is that the small electrical switch inside the headset jack that senses when a plug is present is jammed. If you shine a flashlight into your headset jack you can see a little copper bump on the side that's toward the power button. That piece of copper is supposed to pop back out once you remove a plug, but it has gotten stuck do to any of a variety of causes. The easiest fix I found was to take a toothpick and gently pop it back out. If you play music while trying to pop it out you'll know immediately when you've fixed it. Other people in this thread and elsewhere have suggested all kinds of things like blowing compressed air into the jack or using rubbing alcohol or WD-40 on a Q-tip. Whatever you choose to do, the end goal is to loosen up that switch. The first two options achieve that goal mechanically, while the latter two options achieve it chemically. Personally, I'm not comfortable with sticking WD-40 into my headset jack since I haven't looked up whether it's electrically conducting or not, and I also find the toothpick method to be foolproof, but to each his own.

Good luck!
    On my third pre now because of this issue... its not like the biggest deal in the world, as some may lead you to believe... whats weird is it happened a few other times too, a couple of times the software fixes worked, and a couple of times the hardware fixes worked... first happened to me right after version 1.2 dropped, full wipe fixed it... for about a week. Then i got a new refurb... it happened again about two weeks ago. i went straight to the sprint store to order a new one (i dropped my pre a couple of times and it was hella scratched and dinged). now i have a shiny new refurb... its in better condition than my last refurb and it isn't stuck in head set mode...

i'm saying it isn't a big deal, because in two or three days you get a new refurb for free (thank you sprint) if you've got insurance or are still under warranty... it could be worse ATT won't let you insure an iphone, anything happens and you're screwed
    Those rotten, dirty, *******s!! It's the UPDATE that did it!!

My phone was working PERFECTLY (even though I have a huge crack along the bottom from dropping it from several stories high..oops!) and I haven't had this headphone problem since I traded in my 2nd Pre (about 2 weeks after I got my first Pre... I actually am on my 4th or 5th Pre, to be honest...but not since August of 2009!!)

So, I was using the speakerphone to talk while driving...even though it IS against the law in Chicago...but better than those idiots who have it glued to their head while driving, right? Well...just yesterday, it started skipping back and forth between headset and speakerphone mode...but would NOT work in regular mode!!

***?? And I agree with the person who's complaining about having to shell up $100 for a replacement (which is what the Sprint store told me to do because of the stupid crack I have on my phone!!). I'll be damned if I'm spending another $100 on this phone when Verizon is giving away 2 for $50!!

And this is something different, folks. I used to get the headset problem on other Pres...and using a regular headset jack and plugging and unplugging a few times would usually do the trick...or playing something while using the headset...and then making sure to completely turn off the music player BEFORE pulling out the jack...and that would fix it and you wouldn't have that problem again.
    This is something different. And I'm a bit ****ed off, to be honest!!
    So, I'm doing a complete WebOS Doctor to it to see what happens when I reinstall the software. It's GOTTA be software bug.. I hope.

I didn't want to do it this way....because I have a whole smackload of stuff on my phone that's going to be a pain in the behind having to reinstall....including the 20 plus games I had on the damn thing!! (Yeah...the 20 plus games that I stopped playing about 2 days after getting them!! Apparently, there IS a time when one simply becomes TOO OLD to be playing video games...even if the median age for Pre Owners is 36/37!! Lol)

If anyone has figured this out without resorting to the old methods (toothpick, headset jack jiggling, etc....including WebOS Doctoring) could you please let me know?? I have no problem with my phone. I finally got a phone that worked the way I wanted it to work...and then this freakin' happens!! Stupid updates!! As much as I love them...something ALWAYS goes wrong with the phone immediately after... Usually, it's not so bad...but this stinks to high heaven.....

Just my luck!
    Mine started doing this today for the first time. It is totally random. If I dial a number it works. If I answer a call by sliding up the slider it works. If i answer the next call without sliding up the slider, I'm in headset mode. This is my first and only Palm Pre too. I love the WebOS but the hardware could use some work. This is year one with my phone hopefully HP will come up with better hardware for the webOS.
    When mine was stuck in the headset mode...I just called up Sprint & they basically gave me a new 1. They say this is a common error to the Pre
    I just took my headset that came with my Pre, and got the plug wet with saliva...then put it in and took it out. And.. Not stuck anymore. ***
    Quote Originally Posted by chadrudolph View Post
    I just took my headset that came with my Pre, and got the plug wet with saliva...then put it in and took it out. And.. Not stuck anymore. ***
    that's one way to do it in a pinch....
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    These "fixes" did not work for me - picking up a replacement today.
    My Pre began bugging too 5 month no problems. I'm pretty sure it's a software bug, because i can fix it with running the interactive audio-test, but it's only a matter of minutes that it goes back to headphone-jack sound.

I'm not sure what could cause this bug for me, but i'm suspecting uberkernel or nanplayer are doing this to my phone, because those where the last modifications i did. it could be 1.4.1 too.

this bug is especially bad for me, because i use my pre as my alarmclock, but an alarmclock without sound is worthless. next week i'll go to an o2 store and hope i get a replacement without the bug.
    Mine seems to be sensitive to pressure. If I squeeze the top by the earpiece the screen lights up like I put in headphones. I just took off the back cover and put a few pieces of paper up top between the camera and speaker and put the back cover back on and now its not seems to be as sensitive to pressure.

If I put on an extended battery the thicker case doesnt allow the pressure to interfere with the jack.

I have a lot of mp3s on my phone and would love to use the songs on my car stereos aux but I'm nervous to have headphone jack issues again.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Sprint doesn't want to help, nice to know. This started as a minor problem a couple months ago and has become progressively worse to the point of random/constant switches in and out of headset mode while on the phone. Any and all fixes stopped working about a week ago. Called Sprint....soft reset, hard reset, go to store. Store sees a chip in the side that was caused after a crack spread, a crack caused by a case that clipped on in that spot. I never cared that much but I guess I should have complained right away because the local Sprint says it's physical damage so they won't replace or fix the phone, even though it has nothing to do with it and the chip itself is a hardware failure itself.

edit: new phone on the way. And my wife seriously asks why I want her to call Sprint? She is just better at it then I am. She has a certain way with words sometimes.
    Last edited by Cringer; 05/10/2010 at 11:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by weizen View Post
    I'm not sure what could cause this bug for me, but i'm suspecting uberkernel or nanplayer are doing this to my phone, because those where the last modifications i did. it could be 1.4.1 too
    It is most certainly not NaNplayer causing your problem. My app does not have the ability to harm anything when it's not running. Besides, I have over 200 beta testers and no one has reported this.

Have you tried cleaning your headphone jack? When they get dirty, they can cause the problem you're having. Pull the cotton off of a swab(Q-tip,etc) and clean out the headphone jack hole. This fixed this same problem with my first Pre.
    all right....i've had my pre+ for about 6 weeks and have had this problem the whole time as I use my pre+ very much like an mp3 player (driving, chillin', going to sleep) I've tried the following: q-tip/wd-40, toothpick, wd-40 on plug, alcohol on plug, ghastly headset, audio tests (strangely it works for the test).

I think at this point I may indeed have a bad device. THOUGHTS???? i've finally got it tweaked out, patched up and running smooth. i really don't want to be another person that returns a device with fixable issues (you think they'll ever run out of refurbs?! not)
    That's not normal, I've been through one new Pre and two crappy refurb replacements and I've only had that problem once. The Q-tip trick fixed it right up.

If you've tried all that, then I would just take it back. If a customer has to go through all that and still not have the product work, then it's defective in my book.

I know it sucks to have your Pre all set up only to have to take it back, but you can't live with that problem. Go get your Pre replaced and then hit me up. If you want, I'll give you a little app to try out on your replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    It is most certainly not NaNplayer causing your problem. My app does not have the ability to harm anything when it's not running. Besides, I have over 200 beta testers and no one has reported this.

Have you tried cleaning your headphone jack? When they get dirty, they can cause the problem you're having. Pull the cotton off of a swab(Q-tip,etc) and clean out the headphone jack hole. This fixed this same problem with my first Pre.
    your right, it's not your app, sry for the confusion. but it definitly is not a hardware bug. still testing some things out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    That's not normal, I've been through one new Pre and two crappy refurb replacements and I've only had that problem once. The Q-tip trick fixed it right up.

If you've tried all that, then I would just take it back. If a customer has to go through all that and still not have the product work, then it's defective in my book.

I know it sucks to have your Pre all set up only to have to take it back, but you can't live with that problem. Go get your Pre replaced and then hit me up. If you want, I'll give you a little app to try out on your replacement.
    i mean i've even tried the hardware tests and the phone speaker works...try to call voicemail...no dice (only sometimes like after a reboot)....ugh! i was trying soooo hard not to add my device to the huge pool of unnecessarily returned pre+s thanks for the offer, its appreciated...a reward for sticking with it and not jumping on a conspiracy bandwagon perhaps..
    And this happens at times even if you ONLY use a Bluetooth headset?
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    And this happens at times even if you ONLY use a Bluetooth headset?
    i don't have one...
    Wonder if anyone else knows? I wasn't that interested in using the Pre for audio... but RadioTime and Dr. Podder might change that. But I don't want to start using the headphone jack if it will set off a bunch of problems.