Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    i had issues with my pre sounds this morning. my s305 headset was turning on, connecting and initializing for music and calls, but slacker radio, pandora, and videos were not making any sounds. so i disconnect and now the back speaker wont make any sounds. i put in my wired headset and it works. how odd.

i tried all tips involving restarting, plugging in and taking out, etc. i ended up soaking a toothpick (for want of a q-tip) in window cleaner and gently cleaned out my headphone jack, when i air blasted to cleanup, a little piece of paper came out. afterwards when i stuck the toothpick in it contacted the sensor at the bottom and my volume info came up and changed, and when i removed pressure from the toothpick it went back (to mute). it seems that a little piece of debris or lint got stuck in there and lodged against my sensor button, making it stick and making the phone assume i had (wired) headset in
    I have this problem all the time with any app I try or music I liszten to slacker comedy with an FM transmitter and it does it to I've done the put jack in and out method usually fixes it but sometimes it takes alot of work
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR1 View Post
    Well after messing with different solutions mentioned here, I looked at the pic of the stuck contacts above and decided to wet a Q-tip twist it to a small tapered point, I called voice mail, and was seeing the headset icon so I proceeded to probe the headset socket a few times with a small twisting motion, after pulling the now grey Q-tip out the last time the headset icon was gone and I could hear the voice mail app lady In the ear piece speaker
    it worked!

sweet!
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Mine only happens in the phone app, any ideas?
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    As Nelix and others have tried to say, there is no voodoo required to fix this problem. If your phone is stuck in headset mode and doing the play music/unplug trick hasn't helped on the first or second try, then you've most likely got a hardware issue that can be fixed. Take a flashlight and shine it down into the headset jack. On the side of the hole nearest to the power button you will see a piece of copper that sticks out a tiny bit from the side of the hole. That piece of metal gets pushed to the side when you insert a headphone plug, and it then makes contact with another piece of metal, completing a circuit that lets the phone know there's a plug in there. If your phone is stuck in headset mode it's because that little piece of metal is stuck and not springing back out into the center of the hole like it should.

To fix this, I was able to just use an ordinary toothpick to poke at that piece of metal until it popped out into the proper position. I used a motion that pushed the toothpick against the side of the metal strip and then pulled toward the center of the hole. This was all done gently, of course. I'm sure a Q-tip would also do the trick, but I would be afraid that it might leave behind strands of cotton that could make the metal strip get stuck again.

I'm sure people had success blowing into the jack or putting rubbing alcohol or WD-40 down there because all of those things would serve to break up whatever sticky stuff is holding that metal strip down.

I also think there are some instances where this problem can be caused in software by pulling out the plug while on a call or listening to music. In those cases the trick of playing some music with the headphones in, closing the music app, waiting 15 seconds, and then pulling out the headphone plug should fix things. If it doesn't fix the problem after one or two tries then you're probably experiencing the hardware issue I described above and no amount of pressing random buttons or opening programs or resetting the phone will help (pressing the mute button or whatever only worked because the headphone jack was physically removed afterward, knocking the little switch loose). The switch needs to be physically moved.

I think this is the reason why many phones have a rubber cover for the headphone jack; that is, the cover keeps the sticky crud out of there. I've experienced this issue with both my Treo 650 and my Pre.
    Can we get this post stickied please. I have a devil of a time tracking it down. Had the phone get stuck in headset mode after a long plane trip. I knew the thread existed but search didn't turn it up.

EDIT: Added a nonexsitant search tag. Can't understand why there weren't any to begin with given how fond of them people seem to be.
    Last edited by GenericMusings; 03/23/2010 at 04:46 PM.
    sprint was stumped on how to fix this and sent out a service ticket for me. Right before leaving to go to the service center, I blew REALLY hard into the jack about 3 times and guess what.....the damn phone works normally again
    I had the problem after using Pandora. Nothing worked to fix it until I used the music player from Palm and then unplugged the headset. Worked fine after that.

Must be an issue with Pandora.
    Dave
    "Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing" > "Works like nothing else"

Palm IIIxe -> Tungsten T3 -> Lifedrive -> TX -> Verizon Centro -> Verizon Pre+ and TouchPad
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    the unplug replug never ever worked for me, the only true fire way ive found to fix it quick is to (and i know it sounds wierd but it works EVERY time) take a toothpick and run it around the inside of the headphone jack... janky but works perfectly, id say it works 100 times better than plugging it in and unplugging over and over, try it and let me know if it helpss
    all great ideas but none worked for me. so after bout 15 min of frustration i just smacked my phone a couple times and it worked! =)
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I'm almost emabarrassed to post this. I thought my phone was stuck in headset mode. Could hear phone ok, but no system sounds. Tried all the tricks. Had just showed hubby how to turn up the volume on his phone. Guess what. Hitting the volume buttons on the side of the pre turned up my system sound. Ugg. Hope no one else does this, but just in case, thought I would post. LOL
    Had this problem yesterday scared the crap out of me. I got a Q-tip and stripped the end off, then put it in the headset jack and jerk with it lightly while calling my voicemail.

After a while my Pre's phone speaker started working and I could hear the voicemail come through. Great success! Saved me a Hundo.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    For those who don't want to read through the whole thread: look at page 13. There I and others have explained the hardware and software problems that can occur and how to fix them both.

The hardware problem is due to a switch getting stuck inside the headset jack. Look in there with a flashlight and you'll see it.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I tried all of the suggestions. The Ghastly Headset worked to force the phone to use the front speaker but it would always revert to the missing headset. I figured that this showed that the underlying problem was that the headset jack in the phone is 'stuck". With some caution, I tried the WD-40 suggestion. Damn - it WORKED! The rubbing alchohol may also have worked but I did not have any of that. Great post. Thanks.
    I found a combo approach to work best for me.. I run The Ghastly Headset whilst plugging a headset in and out. Keep an eye on what mode the phone is in then stop when it switches to front speaker.

Bunch of people say "just plug a headset jack in 'n' out a bunch of times" ..but without knowing exactly when it has switched modes, you're just messing around.

The Ghastly Headset alone is basically useless for "fixing" the problem as it resets after every call - but I think it makes for the perfect diagnostic tool while trying to fix the jack manually.

Good luck!
    After having this for 2 months straight i finally fixed it. I got a paper clip and straightened it out then bend one end slightly, i then used the paper clip to play around with the switch and voila! i can not go in and out of headset mode normally(pulling headset out of port)
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El Valluco View Post
    I found a combo approach to work best for me.. I run The Ghastly Headset whilst plugging a headset in and out. Keep an eye on what mode the phone is in then stop when it switches to front speaker.

Bunch of people say "just plug a headset jack in 'n' out a bunch of times" ..but without knowing exactly when it has switched modes, you're just messing around.

The Ghastly Headset alone is basically useless for "fixing" the problem as it resets after every call - but I think it makes for the perfect diagnostic tool while trying to fix the jack manually.

Good luck!
    How about just playing some music while you mess around with the jack? Wouldn't the sound that eventually comes out the speaker be just as good an indicator? I'm not saying that this software doesn't do the trick; I just think it's a bit redundant to use it for the purpose you mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Donkey View Post
    How about just playing some music while you mess around with the jack? Wouldn't the sound that eventually comes out the speaker be just as good an indicator? I'm not saying that this software doesn't do the trick; I just think it's a bit redundant to use it for the purpose you mentioned.
    Mmm, not so sure as there are two mode categories: Current Media Mode and Current Phone Mode. TGH shows the status of both at the same time. While you're able to hear music out of the back speaker, I'm not completely sure that automatically means phone mode has also been fixed. I could be wrong, tho.
    I had this problem a few times but have not had it since I adopted the following a few weeks ago.
    Wake the phone up with the button rather than plugging in the headset.
    Stop the music app (Remix) and let it stop for a few seconds before turning off the phone and then removing plug.
    Doesn't really take any time and saves a lot of problems!

David
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    Can we get this post stickied please. I have a devil of a time tracking it down. Had the phone get stuck in headset mode after a long plane trip. I knew the thread existed but search didn't turn it up.

EDIT: Added a nonexsitant search tag. Can't understand why there weren't any to begin with given how fond of them people seem to be.
    I'll sticky it.
    Just call me Berd.