Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    niv I was wonder if you could give me a more detailed description of were this little switch it. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    IMO The best way to solve the problem is to pull the plug out while the music app is still playing, if the music pauses or stops, then the switch has been triggered properly and the phone will be out of headset mode. If the music continues to play, put the plug back in and repeat.

-I do this every day and my Pre has only gotten stuck 3 or 4 times since September.

I believe the more you use the headset plug, the better it works.
    Hey, i have just tried this out, and the music did pause... but it was still in headset. I really want to go to Bell and have them fix it, the only problem is that i know they do not know how to fix it, and they will probably tell me it is my fault -_-.
    This has worked for me a few times. With slider closed turn ringer off. Open slider turn ringer back on and then close slider. My phone has been randomly going into headset mode and almost everytime I do this it fixes it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    Hey, i have just tried this out, and the music did pause... but it was still in headset. I really want to go to Bell and have them fix it, the only problem is that i know they do not know how to fix it, and they will probably tell me it is my fault -_-.
    Yeah that's really odd. I don't know what else you can do.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  5. niv
    The headphone plug points straight down the jack. The plunger/pin switch points straight up the plug. If you looked down the jack with adequate light, you would see the tip of the pin pointing straight back at you.
  6. J0E
    This just happened to me. Being a dummy I decided to do partial, complete, and 2 doctors on the phone before going on the forum and solving all my problems in 2 seconds lol.

I tried making a call and plugging headphones in and out over and over and it didn't do anything. This is what did it for me: Quoted from another post:

To fix this issue. Plug in headphones and dial voicemail. Hit the mute button in the dialer twice then hang up voicemail and pull out headphones. Speaker should work thereafter.

Why the mute toggle combined with headphones worked and nothing else did is beyond me but this really worked the first time. I also didn't have the problem with pandora it was some time after watching a video on the pre's built in video player. I wonder if sprint has fixed this issue yet with the hardware? Next time I may just take it back to best buy with their black tie warranty and get a brand new (not refurbed) phone.
    I had the same problem and I had to take my mine to the sprint store and they just gave me another phone.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Had this happen for the first time today on the Verizon Pre Plus model. Was using Pandora last night over headphones and then went to bed. First time I tried to call was headphones or speaker only.

The first thing I was able to find that worked for me was also the simplest:

Call voicemail with headphones, unplug headphones while still on the line. Done.

Took me about 20 minutes and other ways of trying to get to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by niv View Post
    The headphone plug points straight down the jack. The plunger/pin switch points straight up the plug. If you looked down the jack with adequate light, you would see the tip of the pin pointing straight back at you.
    I have looked down the jack with a flashlight, the only thing which i thought might be it was this metal peice which sticks out, it is on the right hand side of the jack if the screen is facing you. Is this the switch of which you talk about? I have also tried what you have done, call voicemail and play around with a toothpick, and i have got nothing.
    Well, this is the 2nd time this has happened to me on the same phone. THe first time, I used the interactive tests and that worked, this time nothing worked, the voicemail thing, or resetting it, and the plugging in and plugging out didn't work either. Amazingly the orange + sym + r worked this time :/
    Phone is stubborn!! >.>
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    had this happen for the first time today also, tried many of the solutions listed. The voicemail, headphone,mute button option worked first time. Problem started while using either Slacker Radio or Media Player. Seems better now?? Thank You Forum Members!!!!
    This has to be the most frustrating thing about an otherwise near perfect phone. Ive had sprint replace the damn thing several times already---and whenever it seems like the phone works----I then simply use the mp3 player and minutes later its back to headset mode.

Im convinced---that due to the various "solutions" that cure this problem----its hardware and not software based. Thus I dont see how opening pandora and then hitting mute 3 times and removing the headset works.

Its simply faulty construction on Palm's behalf. Im surprised that Palm is still manufacturing the Pre with this inherent design flaw. If anything I am tired of heading to my local sprint store and having the technicians look at me like I am nuts. I dont mind getting a replacement---but then the phone has to be reconfigured---and I have to download all my music once again. Its a time consuming process.

I think I have had enough with it---and will see if I can get my new pre replaced with a hero or another equivalent problem.

Has anyone else managed to get another model replacement? If so how difficult was the process?
    This has to be the most frustrating thing about an otherwise near perfect phone. Ive had sprint replace the damn thing several times already---and whenever it seems like the phone works----I then simply use the mp3 player and minutes later its back to headset mode.

Im convinced---that due to the various "solutions" that cure this problem----its hardware and not software based. Thus I dont see how opening pandora and then hitting mute 3 times and removing the headset works.

Its simply faulty construction on Palm's behalf. Im surprised that Palm is still manufacturing the Pre with this inherent design flaw. If anything I am tired of heading to my local sprint store and having the technicians look at me like I am nuts. I dont mind getting a replacement---but then the phone has to be reconfigured---and I have to download all my music once again. Its a time consuming process.

I think I have had enough with it---and will see if I can get my new pre replaced with a hero or another equivalent problem.

Has anyone else managed to get another model replacement? If so how difficult was the process?
    I have had the same issue off and on with my Pre since last summer. I have tried many of the same methods mentioned in this thread but the one that has seemed to work most consistently (but not 100% of the time) is to use a Q-tip (with the cotton snipped down enough to fit in the audio jack) that has been soaked with isopropyl alcohol and plunge/twist the Q-tip. After letting the alcohol dry, I check voicemail to see if the problem is gone. It has often worked after doing this.

I am not sure why the issue recurs but I have some opinions about the issue:

1) I believe the problem is ultimately based in how the Headset Detect contact in the audio jack is operating. When the jack is removed the headset detect signal should change state such that the SW knows that the headset has been removed but for some reason this does not happen.

2) Does the fact that using a Q-tip with alcohol to clean the jack mean that metal shavings are present in the jack?

3) Could the use of 3rd party headphone jacks be the cause of the problem? In my vehicle, I use an audio cable with a microphone (sold for an iPhone) so I can go hands-free. This cable breaks out a microphone and male audio jack which I can plug into my Auxillary input of the radio.

4) There ought to be a manual override available to force the phone into earpiece mode regardless of whether the phone thinks the headphones are plugged in or not. This could be a purely SW fix.

In my opinion, this has been the #1 issue with the Pre, which has otherwise been a great phone for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    I think this should be stickied as this issues seems to be a reoccurring one on this forum. So hopefully with a stickied topic, it can end the multiple topics.

Here are some past topics. There are a ton of other topics out there:
    - http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...one-works.html
    - http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...d-working.html
    - http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...dset-mode.html
    - http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...set-issue.html
    - http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...s-speaker.html

And here is the "fix" that seems to work. It has worked for me EVERY time:

If the above does not work, other methods I have read tell you to plug in a headset & play music. While the music is playing, quickly remove & insert the headset into the jack (not too rough so if doesn't break anything) until you hear the music coming out of the speaker.

Some compressed air blown into the headset jack might help. It didn't work for me, but again I have read that it helped for some. One method that I didn't want to risk trying is to lightly coat the headset with WD-40. With the headset coated, try the method in the above paragraph.

There might be other solutions. Feel free to suggest them if anything different has worked.

<<The following is added by berd>>

Added 2-2-2010:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2197018
    One more comment: The pandora trick also doesn't work with the bluetooth on. Once the bluetooth is off, it works as well. Bottom line, shut off your bluetooth and try out Pandora fix first.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I eventually took mine in and got it replaced. It was too much of a pain. Sitting there middle of a phone call and the phone just randomly deciding to switch to headset back and forth.

I'm thinking this will eventually lead to a recall or class action lawsuit.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Just cause I have read through most of these posts and someone may do the same... Here is what I have done:

First time it happened: I did the Slacker app pause, close, wait... worked

Second time was a little more frustrating: MP3 app, Slacker app pauses didn't work, Mutes during headphone call... didn't work, Phone restart (4 times) didn't work... At work took a pen with kleenex at tip soked in alcohol stuck it down the headphone jack and Finally worked.... Now what will I have to do next time is my next wonder.

But I think part of the kleenex is still down at the bottom. Go figure.

And I had a Treo 700 that did this same thing. grrrrrr Palm, get this fixed NOW this is an AWESOME phone and to have this happen is rediculous!! Down right unacceptiable!
    Still happily rooting my launch 6/6/09 Pre!
    (and my wife's)
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Does anyone have any idea what percentage of devices have this problem? Based on what other people have been saying, exchanging for a new phone is no sure bet. Any word from someone who hasn't had this problem after getting a new phone? This happened to me the first time yesterday (have had my Pre since launch), which I managed to fix by plugging and unplugging the headphones. Unfortunately it happened again this morning even though I have not used the headphone jack since it happened the first time. I really love this phone, but if this continues I might have to say goodbye to the Pre. What good is a phone if you're never sure whether or not it will actually work? And no, I don't think digging around with a toothpick every time is an acceptable fix.
    Happened to me for the third time in my Pre's life, it's unacceptable.

I don't even know when it will be fixed!
    I need some help again. My pre will come out of headset mode if I take a qtip with most of the cotton removed, soak it in rubbing alcohol and put it in my pre's head phone jack. This works only for an hour or so until it goes back into headset mode. Nothing else will get it out of headset mode. I have went to bell to get a refurb and I was told that there was a 6 week backorder on the pres. I want to know if there is anything else I should try before going back to bell.