Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    So mine did this the other day, a few days since I had used the jack at all. Tried putting plug in and out a bunch of times and that worked. I have not used the jack since then and this morning my phone was back to being stuck on headphone mode. I don't see how it can all of a sudden go to headphone mode without having something in there. Now I can't seem to get it to go back off now.. GRRRR Wonder if it would be possible to have a patch similar to the turn gps off where you could manually set your phone to headset mode off?
  2. KTM
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    every month and a 1/2 my speaker dies
    Having fun
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I was initially pleased to find the postings about how to fix this problem with my Pre, but I tried multiple times/multiple variations, with and without bluetooth without success. Today I have to travel the 45 min (11th trip) to the Sprint Store to pick up my refurbished replacement Palm Pre. This will be my FIFTH phone (fourth replacement for software/hardware problems) and third replacement for the exact same problem. This Precentral thread goes back to the summer. You would think Palm would be able to fix such a common problem by this time. I've owned (and loved) Palm products as far back as the Palm Pilot III in 1997. Had Palm IV, Treo 700W, and Treo 800W (times two--my wife and I use the same products). The Treo 800W was by far the most dependable unit, even with the Windows Mobile glitches. I've owned Palm stock for the last three years and held it during an 80% drop in value because I believed in the company. We purchased our two Pre's on the 2nd day after public release in June--paid full $500+ price for each. I love the look, feel, and functionality of the Pre and WebOS, but to me dependability is most important. It's time for me to drop this dog and move on to a smart phone that I can trust will work for more than a few months between catastrophic failures. I'm leaning towards an unlocked Nexus One without a contract. It'll cost me, but at least I will have a phone that I can trust will work when I need it. And the PalmCast for 30 Jan 2010 mentioned "suspected" problems with the quality of Pre??? Read the blogs and postings. Everyone is having problems with this poor quality smartphone!
    The trick with using the qtip worked perfectly for me. and u don't even have to use any liquids or compressed air. all that is going on with the pre is that their is a button in the 3.5mm jack that tells the pre when a headset or audio cord is plugged in. this button gets stuck every once in a while. to fix it just use something like a qtip with the cotton taken off one end and push on this button that is located in the jack on the left side. then it will come unstuck and just like that you are back in business! I have done it my self and countless others have also with success.
    Here is what is going on with your pre when it is stuck in headset mode. There is a button in the 3.5mm headphone jack that lets the pre know when something is plugged in. Every once in a while this button gets stuck. When that happens the phone thinks that something is plugged in and your earpiece will not work. let me make this clear that this is a hardware issue and not a software one. So when this happens restarting the phone or doing other tricks like audio tests will not work!!! the only way to fix it is to get the button unstuck. This happened to me and I was about to get my phone replaced until i read some of the posts on the forums. I seen that a couple of people said to take all the cotton off of one end of a qtip and then push on the button, which is on the left hand side of the 3.5mm jack about half way down. so I gave it a try and it worked like a charm! A big thanks to everyone who suggested that idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    It makes it even worse because this isn't a new issue that Palm has never encountered before.
    Berd is right. I had this problem on several of my Treos and both of my Centros. Palm should have fixed this back in the 20th century.

Put I still love the Pre (that is until the jack c-r-a-p-s out).
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
    this is true i did that and it works. If you on the go then what? I got a quick fix, i found something out awhile ago but never shared this info. this is crazy But why say there is a button that get stuck , isnt it just metal touching metal, but any way, My info i found that if you press the ear piece and the back of the pre like the back of the ear piece together it switch to headset mode. the best way to look at your progress is to call your v/m and look at the icon on the bottom, you can see it switching back and fourth. that works alot for me
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    If it's just a hardware issue why does running Pandora with the headphone plugged in, pressing pause, then taking the headphone out always fixes the stuck in headset mode? Plugging the headset jack in and out doesn't fix it, but the Pandora trick works for me every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by tannyo View Post
    If it's just a hardware issue why does running Pandora with the headphone plugged in, pressing pause, then taking the headphone out always fixes the stuck in headset mode? Plugging the headset jack in and out doesn't fix it, but the Pandora trick works for me every time.
    +1

I use a different method. Open media player, let the music play thru the headphones, swipe the music app away and let it close out completely (10 seconds or so) then unplug my headphones... Maybe its a mix of both hw and sw, food for thought...
    Im on my third pre because of the headphone problem. Having it again. Might be getting a 4th one... This is very anoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by tannyo View Post
    that never ever works for me
    it is a hw issue but that hw issue correlates in a dll that tells the sw how to respond to it. The source is a hw issue but that results in the sw enabling it incorrectly.
    I might be going on my 4th pre because of this. I tried not to ever use the headphone jack on this 3rd pre but I did a few days ago. I tried the trick and it fixes it sometimes for a few minutes but goes back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    it is a hw issue but that hw issue correlates in a dll that tells the sw how to respond to it. The source is a hw issue but that results in the sw enabling it incorrectly.
    ^ genius ^
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    That right there is giving me alot of hope that maybe they are fixing the software that causes the problem, and may be released in 1.4 .

But anyways i am having a hugeeee problem and i really need help. My pre has gone in and out of this problem hundreds of times before, but last night i was listening to music and when i was done i would do what i usually did, stop the music, close the app, wait 20 secs then pull the head phones out(this almost always made sure it was working for me). But then it was still in headset... so i tryed it again, didn't work... I try this process and all of the ones listed many times and it still ends up in head set mode. Some how i was able to have the sound work while play music without the headset, but when i tried to make a call it did not work. And it also go extremely screwy at one point where i had the headset plugged in but it was playing music via the speaker. Can someone please suggest something else, i do not want to doctor my pre again...

Thanks in advance,

Krab19
  17. niv
    4th pre- first 3 returned for stuck in headset mode. 4th has been to store about a dozen times to fix same problem. Today, they showed me how to fix it.

The headphone plug pushes a plunger switch straight down at the bottom of the jack. When you remove the jack, the switch is supposed to pop back up. When stuck, the pin remains down even after removing. The sprint tech suggested using a eyeglass screwdriver to sweep along the bottom of the jack, finding the pin and gently nudging it until it comes up. He fixed my phone. It stuck again this evening. I used a toothpick but couldn't feel the pin. I called voicemail while prodding with the toothpick and, after about ten second, sound.

It is not a software problem. The pin switch gets stuck. Turning on or off programs is useless. Inserting and removing the plug might help.

I know what fixed mine.

Sad thing is, they said they would swap my pre for a htc hero anytime I want now. I like my pre, plus I have a Seido 2600 plus a car charger. Maybe sell those and get a hero.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I was just about to give up and send my phone in to be replaced...after reading these posts, really shoved around the headphone in the jack and it finally fixed. I love Precentral. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    That right there is giving me alot of hope that maybe they are fixing the software that causes the problem, and may be released in 1.4 .

But anyways i am having a hugeeee problem and i really need help. My pre has gone in and out of this problem hundreds of times before, but last night i was listening to music and when i was done i would do what i usually did, stop the music, close the app, wait 20 secs then pull the head phones out(this almost always made sure it was working for me). But then it was still in headset... so i tryed it again, didn't work... I try this process and all of the ones listed many times and it still ends up in head set mode. Some how i was able to have the sound work while play music without the headset, but when i tried to make a call it did not work. And it also go extremely screwy at one point where i had the headset plugged in but it was playing music via the speaker. Can someone please suggest something else, i do not want to doctor my pre again...

Thanks in advance,

Krab19
    IMO The best way to solve the problem is to pull the plug out while the music app is still playing, if the music pauses or stops, then the switch has been triggered properly and the phone will be out of headset mode. If the music continues to play, put the plug back in and repeat.

-I do this every day and my Pre has only gotten stuck 3 or 4 times since September.

I believe the more you use the headset plug, the better it works.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I used the q tip trick and it worked. toothpick works as well.