Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1. bitmage's Avatar
    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
       #1  
    I've had generally good results from Sprint nav, but every once in a while it gets 'stuck' and insists that it can't locate me.

    To workaround:

    Minimize Nav app, bring up phone pad.
    Dial ##GPS#
    Tap the 'Get Fix' button.
    Once your position is displayed, return to the Sprint Nav app and it should be able to locate you.
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
  2. larnapp's Avatar
    Posts
    171 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #2  
    Thanks. Cool tip. I'll have to try this because I usually have to reboot a couple times a week to get the GPS to play nice. I'll let you know what happens next time Sprint Nav can't find me. This could be a big time-saver.

    (BTW- For those who haven't entered ## codes before... the code ##GPS# is dialed from the phone app keypad, not the qwerty keyboard. It's really ##477# to get the desired prompt.)
  3. larnapp's Avatar
    Posts
    171 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #3  
    Sure enough, yesterday GPS was unable to find me so I followed your tip. It worked!

    Not only was it quicker than a reboot (though it still took 20-30 seconds to find me) the bonus is that I was able to keep listening to Pandora the whole time and I didn't miss any potential phone calls by being down for a 2 minute reboot.

    Thanks again!
  4. Tominator's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #4  
    That's an awesome tip! I use Sprint Navigation all the time and about once a week it would require a reboot...not any more!
  5. #5  
    Thanks for the tip. I was really getting frusterated with the GPS on this Pre. It would work sometimes and not others. I only recently tried rebooting to fix it and was somewhat happy to find that it did (fix it) but the 5 min restart is painfull.
  6. #6  
    wish i knew that the last weekend. was going on a trip and needed directions. thought i was set with my handy dandy pre. i headed the right direction, typed the destination and it couldnt hook up?! took about an hour before it got connected. now i wont be in that situation again. thank you very much.
  7. #7  
    This tip works for me, too. I tried to create a contact for this number and make a speed dial for quick access. It won't work. The number does not dial. Does anyone have any suggestions for quick access to this key sequence?
    Visor->650->Pre
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by drugstorecowboy View Post
    This tip works for me, too. I tried to create a contact for this number and make a speed dial for quick access. It won't work. The number does not dial. Does anyone have any suggestions for quick access to this key sequence?
    Odd. I created a contact and it worked for me. I wonder if it is just the speed dial that doesn't work?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by drugstorecowboy View Post
    This tip works for me, too. I tried to create a contact for this number and make a speed dial for quick access. It won't work. The number does not dial. Does anyone have any suggestions for quick access to this key sequence?
    The directions aren't completely accurate.

    To get this working from the contact list, (at least for me) ##GPS# didn't work, but ##477# did.

    Use ##477#

    (Tip: The phone doesn't actually call this number, it's just a shortcut for GPS acquisition. If the phone does start dialing a number, you've entered the sequence wrong)
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by larnapp View Post
    Thanks. Cool tip. I'll have to try this because I usually have to reboot a couple times a week to get the GPS to play nice. I'll let you know what happens next time Sprint Nav can't find me. This could be a big time-saver.

    (BTW- For those who haven't entered ## codes before... the code ##GPS# is dialed from the phone app keypad, not the qwerty keyboard. It's really ##477# to get the desired prompt.)


    Quote Originally Posted by Toasters View Post
    The directions aren't completely accurate.

    To get this working from the contact list, (at least for me) ##GPS# didn't work, but ##477# did.

    Use ##477#

    (Tip: The phone doesn't actually call this number, it's just a shortcut for GPS acquisition. If the phone does start dialing a number, you've entered the sequence wrong)
    They seem pretty accurate to me! It plainly states not on the qwerty, Use the dialpad and gps and 477 are the same keys.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

    If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

    Follow the link below.


  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    They seem pretty accurate to me! It plainly states not on the qwerty, Use the dialpad and gps and 477 are the same keys.
    The initial post didn't include that caveat. So no, the initial directions were not entirely accurate.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    I've had generally good results from Sprint nav, but every once in a while it gets 'stuck' and insists that it can't locate me.

    To workaround:

    Minimize Nav app, bring up phone pad.
    Dial ##GPS#
    Tap the 'Get Fix' button.
    Once your position is displayed, return to the Sprint Nav app and it should be able to locate you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasters View Post
    The initial post didn't include that caveat. So no, the initial directions were not entirely accurate.
    I believe it did but oh well, whatever!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

    If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

    Follow the link below.


  13. #13  
    It works for me now. I thought I used the dial pad but evidently not. I added the contact to the launcher and placed is next to Sprint Navigation. I just hit my GPS icon first to get a fix. Hopefully Sprint will figure this out soon but Sprint Nav is still the greatest app.
    Visor->650->Pre
  14. #14  
    i will def use this. thanks. saved the number under contacts so will remember next time. hope it works on cloudy days too.
  15. #15  
    Didn't work for me... is GPS affected by weather? Although I don't think that is an issue for me right now. I'm in the middle of a densely populated Minneapolis area, which I never had trouble with before... now it goes a couple of minutes before repeatedly telling me that it's can't find m location. I find this curious when it seems able to find me in the maps application, and tell me how far I am from various things I'd like to drive to.

    Frustrated.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
    Didn't work for me... is GPS affected by weather? Although I don't think that is an issue for me right now. I'm in the middle of a densely populated Minneapolis area, which I never had trouble with before... now it goes a couple of minutes before repeatedly telling me that it's can't find m location. I find this curious when it seems able to find me in the maps application, and tell me how far I am from various things I'd like to drive to.

    Frustrated.
    Weather can affect GPS. I geocache and I can say for sure that GPS can be affected by buildings, foliage and heavy cloud cover.

    I'm not experienced yet with AGPS. Can someone with more knowledge comment on how AGPS might perform under these conditions?
  17. #17  
    I was having to reboot also to get a fix.Tried this today when Sprint Nav refused to find me and it worked like a charm
  18. aric's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by waya68 View Post
    Weather can affect GPS. I geocache and I can say for sure that GPS can be affected by buildings, foliage and heavy cloud cover.

    I'm not experienced yet with AGPS. Can someone with more knowledge comment on how AGPS might perform under these conditions?
    Buildings and foliage yes, but heavy cloud, no. The radio wavelength is generally unaffected by participation, fog, or water molecules.

    The FAA is bringing on lots of GPS approaches, which would never occur if the signal wasn't accurate in cloud cover or fog. Although almost all airliners use an IRU system for navigation, one of the primary updating means is through GPS reception. Sometimes there is localized reception issues, but weather isn't the cause.

    That being said, the quality of the receiver is a determining factor, and undoubtedly a dedicated antenna will be able to receive a weaker signal.

    Navigation Services
    Navigation Services
    Does heavy cloud cover affect GPS reception? | GPS Tracklog
  19. #19  
    AWESOME TIP!!! I've had so many instances of the stupid thing claiming it couldn't get a fix, requiring the lengthy reboot (when is Palm gonna fix that?) so I just tried it and even though I'm INSIDE right now, it instantly coughed up my coordinates and when I brought up the satellite Google map, it had me in the right part of the house! Thanked!
  20. cjrlauve's Avatar
    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #20  
    Great job. Common problem. Great tips about storing it as a contact too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions