Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    enabling Wifi
    enabling Ad-Hoc Wifi
    Network: AoNet
    Tethering ON

I think those are just the sequential cues as to what it is doing. The very last step, Tetherinin ON , is when your AoNet wifi hotspot is up and running.

You "should" be able to see that network from your computer, and sign on to it, and have internet access now running on your computer.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxergreg View Post
    Phones plugged in charging, but setup as wireless

Set as DHCP?
    Oh ya thats right , make SURE you have DHCP enabled. It shuts down when you reboot, and you have to manually enable it, or it will not issue addresses....

That actually happened to me at first, until someone here reminded me... NOW Im aware of it
    Yup, have DHCP enabled, strong signal shows up on computer... I connect to it but lose the signal when I connect and will not work then
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Umm sorta correct..

What you would have to do, or should do anyway, is first make copies of the original image files, per the instructions, in case of problems.

Then you would need to have the new images, the fairy theme ones, ON the PRE in the user area, you can put them there from your PC when your pre is connected via USB.

Then you would have to stop the USB device, and get to Charge Only

Then get back to the root@castle# prompt and copy the code to get the files from the /media/internal folder on the pre, to the correct location within the PRE OS

For example the actual background image for the dialer, the code to copy would be:

cp /media/internal/backdrop-phone.png /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/

This assumes you have the file backdrop-phone.png on your pre in the user media area, known to linux as /media/internal

It would be cp (copying) that file, to the directory (folder)

/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/

Where the files reside to make up the phone dialer

I forget if this needed a reboot to take effect or not. But if you do all the copy/paste and do not get errors, and you exit the terminal session and do not see your new dialer, try a reboot before assuming it did not work.

You are getting oooohhh so close here
    I honestly don't think it's meant for me to do this. I keep rebooting just KNOWING that I got it right only to see the same green dialpad. IDK what the issue could be because I'm following the video and the webpage to the T (minus the SSH/putty)...I'm doing the mount -o stuff and everything.

I'm starting to think maybe it's because whoever made the fairy theme, saved dialpad image as jpg instead of png. I went to adjust the code to be jpg before I pasted it in the cmd box but idk if I should do that for all the backdrop pastes or just that one particular one. Remember the original green image is already in png format so I would think that I could leave THAT one as it is and just change the new backdrop URL to jpg since that is what the creator saved it as. --SIGH-- too much, too much, too much.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bzsoaddictiv View Post
    I honestly don't think it's meant for me to do this. I keep rebooting just KNOWING that I got it right only to see the same green dialpad. IDK what the issue could be because I'm following the video and the webpage to the T (minus the SSH/putty)...I'm doing the mount -o stuff and everything.

I'm starting to think maybe it's because whoever made the fairy theme, saved dialpad image as jpg instead of png. I went to adjust the code to be jpg before I pasted it in the cmd box but idk if I should do that for all the backdrop pastes or just that one particular one. Remember the original green image is already in png format so I would think that I could leave THAT one as it is and just change the new backdrop URL to jpg since that is what the creator saved it as. --SIGH-- too much, too much, too much.
    If I am understanding the correctly then you are copying the jpg to the correct place. Only thing is that it is looking for a png at that directory not a jpg.
    Have you tried converting it from jpg to png?
    I'd like to see the guide you are using for replacing the image (is it this one? Patch Phone Edit Dialer Theme - WebOS Internals)
    It is looking for the file named: Backdrop-phone.png

in the directory: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/

Unless it sees THAT correctly formed file,(name an format) in that location, its NOT gonna work..

Its still gonna be green, because you copied the original file Backdrop-phone.png and made a copy of it, but the original file is still there. And you are now copying a file called Backdrop-phone.jpg to that directory, it just ignores your file.

OH and I dont know if you know this or not, but you cannot take an .jpg image and just rename it to be .png, it has to be saved as .png in whatever software you use for image editing that has that file format save capability.

Here is the file Backdrop-phone.png, that I beleive is the one from the theme you are looking at, in the correct file format. Try using THIS one and see if it works

Last edited by dianehelen; 08/17/2009 at 06:41 AM.
    It is looking for the file named: Backdrop-phone.png

in the directory: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/

Unless it sees THAT correctly formed file,(name an format) in that location, its NOT gonna work..

Its still gonna be green, because you copied the original file Backdrop-phone.png and made a copy of it, but the original file is still there. And you are now copying a file called Backdrop-phone.jpg to that directory, it just ignores your file.

OH and I dont know if you know this or not, but you cannot take an .jpg image and just rename it to be .png, it has to be saved as .png in whatever software you use for image editing that has that file format save capability.

Here is the file Backdrop-phone.png, that I beleive is the one from the theme you are looking at, in the correct file format. Try using THIS one and see if it works

Yes, that is the backdrop I was attempting to use. after the jpg situation, I tried to convert it to png and it still didn't work.

I'm going to try it now with your image --crosses fingers--
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Ok, the first time I did this, I was able to paste commands into the window, but now, I can't, and it seems that when I disconnect the Pre, all of the commands that I pasted/typed scroll by very quickly. But when before I do, the cursor doesn't seem to move at all. I'll try restarting my machine.
    Palm m100>Palm m130>Sony Clie>HP Jornada 525>Dell Axim X3i>Nokia 3395>Nokia 6630>Motorola i530>PPC 6700>Mogul (PPC-6800)

Palm Pre!
    IT WORKED!!! THANKS SOOOOOOO MUCH DIANE!!
    now I will attempt to finish the fairy theme with the icons and everything else.
    but knowing I have the dialer makes me feel so happy inside. lol. :-)!
    Quote Originally Posted by j0sh097 View Post
    This post is for those still lost on how to root a Pre.
    Following these instructions should get you going with gaining root access to your Pre.
    Anyway, you can help with instructions for someone with a MAC OS X 10.4.11 who is also new to PALM? And is there a requirement that I have Mac OS X 10.5 - 10.5.7? If so, how would I get around that?

Thanks,
    Still Smilin' in Texas,
    SnT
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiles-in-Texas View Post
    Anyway, you can help with instructions for someone with a MAC OS X 10.4.11 who is also new to PALM? And is there a requirement that I have Mac OS X 10.5 - 10.5.7? If so, how would I get around that?

Thanks,
    Here is a guide for Mac:
    Accessing Linux Using Novaterm - WebOS Internals
    I don't have a Mac so I have not tried it but it should work with any of the versions you mentioned (including 10.4.11).
    I'll try to help you as much as I can if you have any problems.
    IT WORKED!!! THANKS SOOOOOOO MUCH DIANE!!
    now I will attempt to finish the fairy theme with the icons and everything else.
    but knowing I have the dialer makes me feel so happy inside. lol. :-)!
    YAY! Im happy FOR you, I KNOW how frustrating it has been for you, but you have perservered and have WON!

Im really thrilled for you.

If I am understanding the correctly then you are copying the jpg to the correct place. Only thing is that it is looking for a png at that directory not a jpg.
    Have you tried converting it from jpg to png?
    I'd like to see the guide you are using for replacing the image (is it this one? Patch Phone Edit Dialer Theme - WebOS Internals)
    Yes it was that one. I got it now that Diane has converted the jpg image for me.

---Edit---

Diane, what program did you use to convert the image? The wallpaper image is jpg also.
    Last edited by bzsoaddictiv; 08/18/2009 at 09:42 AM.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Yes it was that one. I got it now that Diane has converted the jpg image for me.

---Edit---

Diane, what program did you use to convert the image? The wallpaper image is jpg also.
    Just open it with microsoft paint and go to File->Save As...
    and in the drop-down Save as type: menu select the format you want and just click save.
    Just open it with microsoft paint and go to File->Save As...
    and in the drop-down Save as type: menu select the format you want and just click save.
    I did that when I was attempting to change my dialer background and it still didn't work. Diane said "OH and I dont know if you know this or not, but you cannot take an .jpg image and just rename it to be .png, it has to be saved as .png in whatever software you use for image editing that has that file format save capability." and she took the file and converted it to png for me and when I saved it and used it, it worked fine.

It's worth a try though...

---edit---
    I can just add this wallpaper like a normal wallpaper can't I? I feel so dumb. LOL.
    this should be no diff than when I add ringtones. just drag it into the wallpaper folder.
    I'm looking all over for wallpaper codes. LOL. disregard all of this
    Last edited by bzsoaddictiv; 08/18/2009 at 11:50 AM.
    Wallpaper can be JPG and you dont need rooting to do that. Just save the jpg on your pre and change it the normal way..

and ya, you cant rename it but if a program has a SAVE AS option and PNG is one of the choices, you can do that, as the Save As WILL do the conversion.

I use Photoshop CS2 tho.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    my head hurts SOOOOO bad k i got the mojo sdk installed now what i need some asprin like 3..help please
    Wallpaper can be JPG and you dont need rooting to do that. Just save the jpg on your pre and change it the normal way..

and ya, you cant rename it but if a program has a SAVE AS option and PNG is one of the choices, you can do that, as the Save As WILL do the conversion.

I use Photoshop CS2 tho.
    LOL Yeah I know. I realized that after like 30 minutes when I finally stopped to think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jersey221 View Post
    my head hurts SOOOOO bad k i got the mojo sdk installed now what i need some asprin like 3..help please
    now you have to root!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast