Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    ooh!! I'm getting it!! I'm getting it!!

Standby.... :-)
    Well, I had it... had it for about 2 minutes... then it won't connect again... was connected to aonet. back on crappy fair signal
    Computer is looking for a network key... I don't have a network key... ugghhh

My phone signal shows up... but will not connect.
    Okay, I'm back on it... my wifi tethering was turned off on the phone... ? huh... Well at least it works now
    Looks like I have the same channel on my wifi as the fair office... cahannel 6... how can I change the channel my phone is putting out?
    I'm good to go (or at least I think am) But cannot connect anyone elses computer... but who cares, asw long as I'm on!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Im assuming THIS is the video you were watching:

What the guy was doing in the video, to gain root access was adding some software called optware to his Pre so that in addition to being able to get root access via a Windows CMD promt, (Once he is at root@castle, he is technically at the linux root) and Novcom, he can also telnet IN (log in from a remote location ie his computer) wirelessly, eliminating the need to plug the PRE in while getting root access. Doing the extra copy/paste stuff he did, enables you to access your PRE from your Computer, using a tool called PuTTy.

Here is the WebOS Internals instructions for that that he is following is:

Next steps - WebOS Internals

Just a small tidbit , on the Instructions page, he shows the following code as 2 separate lines, but the actual page shows it all together. What you have to do, is JUST what he is doing and first copy/paste this:

Which gets you to change directories (cd) to a directory just under the root, called tmp

Then you can copy/paste this:

the wget command is actually a linux utility that lets you download stuff from the web

So AFTER you do all this, you will be able to follow the rest of that video to be able to Shell into, or log into, or PuTTy into your root level of your linux OS on your pre.

WHEN you are able to DO that, then you can start to follow some of the other videos adn WebOS internal tutorials for changing themes, dialers, etc.

I really suggest the first one you try is JUST changing the dialer color. It JUST involves 3 files and is pretty straight foward.

Here is the WebOS internals instructions:

Patch Phone Edit Dialer Theme - WebOS Internals

And here is the matching Video

The FIRST part, Changing the Dialer, is what he is showing on the video. To change the entire theme just involves MORE files, but is basicaly the same process, of getting different image files ON the PRE to make the dialer look different.

Keep at it! You'll get it!
    I did everything on the Next Steps page and stilll did not come across a prompt for me to enter a username and password. I'm not even concerned about being able to do this without my pre being connected to the computer to be honest. So idk if I could just not worry about that at all.
    However, when I watch the youtube on changing the dialer, he is again opening putty. On the changing the dialer page you linked me to, I am confused about this SSH stuff.

"This does require access to the Pre's operating system. Please follow these steps first. Then open a SSH window to the Pre (either using "ssh -p 222 LOGIN_NAME@PALM_PRE_IP" or use a tool like PuTTY in Windows)"

what does that mean? do I past what is in quotations into my command box since I don't have a username or whatnot for putty?

and also, is there a way to erase coding that I pasted into the command box because I did past what's in quotations and the directory never appeared.

I'm sorry I feel so dumb asking these questions that are probably very obvious.

---EDIT----
    I went through the whole process again. I wasn't prompted for a username/passcode because I didn't wait for everything to download before I pasted the following code. ((V8 Thump))
    Last edited by bzsoaddictiv; 08/16/2009 at 12:14 PM.
    how long is it supposed to take to download the dropbar?? this thing is taking forever.
    Last edited by bzsoaddictiv; 08/16/2009 at 12:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j0sh097 View Post
    This post is for those still lost on how to root a Pre.
    Following these instructions should get you going with gaining root access to your Pre.
    All I did combine the instructions from the link in the reference into 7 simple steps.

This should work with (only tested with Windows XP 32-bit):
    • Windows XP 32-bit
    • Windows Vista 64-bit
    • Windows 7 64-bit

Now to get started.
    1. Install mojo sdk
    2. Enable dev mode on your Pre
    3. Connect your Pre to your pc via cable (just charge)
    4. Open a command prompt
    5. Type cd \program files\palm\sdk\bin at the command prompt
    6. Type novacom -t open tty:// at the command prompt
    7. Prompt should change to root@castle:/# ←[J

If step 7 is successful you should now have root access to your Pre.

Reference:
    Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals

Be sure to also read Milominderbinder's post:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...jailbreak.html

If anybody has any problems I'd more than happy to provide any help that I can.
    Just go ahead and post any questions here.

##################
    # EDIT/UPDATE 8/15/09 #
    ##################

See the Next steps - WebOS Internals guide.
    Basically once you have root access (when you are at root@castle:/# ←[J) you can do w/e you want.
    You don't have to necessarily follow Next steps - WebOS Internals but it is strongly recommended.

See also Portal:Patches to webOS - WebOS Internals for a list of patches (basically hacks) that can be applied to your Pre such as:
    Patch Launcher Add or Delete Pages - WebOS Internals
    Patch webOS Show Actual Battery Percentage - WebOS Internals
    Patch Clock Changing Alarm Button Order and Snooze Duration - WebOS Internals
    and a bunch more.
    wat is the purpose in the emulator when gaining root access
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxergreg View Post
    I'm good to go (or at least I think am) But cannot connect anyone elses computer... but who cares, asw long as I'm on!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bzsoaddictiv View Post
    how long is it supposed to take to download the dropbar?? this thing is taking forever.
    You guys both are cracking me up! But I LOVE the perserverance!

gixxergreg: You are making awesome progress. The thing about the tether thing is, if you are in not good phone signal coverage, your tether wifi will not be that good either.. just the nature of the beast. But YAY you for perservering to the point of getting somewhere..

bzsoaddictiv: You seem to be making "some" progress. I know it seems confusing about the SSH stuff, and PuTTy and root access. But just keep going over the steps, trying to see if you understand what each one is doing. If you have gotten to the point where you see the root@castle, at least you are IN the linux OS of the phone. As for the SSH and using PuTTy, just keep trying. As for just changing the dialer, you do NOT need to go thru PuTTy, you can do all the file image swap changes right thru that root@castle# promt via your CMD from your Windows PC. I did my dialer that way, and only had to get myself to the point of using PuTTy to actually copy/paste code NOT file changes, to make Landscape Email mod work.
    You guys both are cracking me up! But I LOVE the perserverance!

gixxergreg: You are making awesome progress. The thing about the tether thing is, if you are in not good phone signal coverage, your tether wifi will not be that good either.. just the nature of the beast. But YAY you for perservering to the point of getting somewhere..

bzsoaddictiv: You seem to be making "some" progress. I know it seems confusing about the SSH stuff, and PuTTy and root access. But just keep going over the steps, trying to see if you understand what each one is doing. If you have gotten to the point where you see the root@castle, at least you are IN the linux OS of the phone. As for the SSH and using PuTTy, just keep trying. As for just changing the dialer, you do NOT need to go thru PuTTy, you can do all the file image swap changes right thru that root@castle# promt via your CMD from your Windows PC. I did my dialer that way, and only had to get myself to the point of using PuTTy to actually copy/paste code NOT file changes, to make Landscape Email mod work.

Excuse me...my correction...the dropBEAR, not bar...and it's STILL installing.
    so before I started all over from scratch, I did see the list in my cmd with all the image urls. I saw the fairy theme I liked in one of these threads and I saved the images to my cpu. To my understanding when I get to the step of adding them to my pre, i would put my phone into USB mode and drag the images over to the pre folder? at that point, i would be able to paste (replace) old urls with new ones in the cmd box, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by bzsoaddictiv View Post
    To my understanding when I get to the step of adding them to my pre, i would put my phone into USB mode and drag the images over to the pre folder? at that point, i would be able to paste (replace) old urls with new ones in the cmd box, right?
    Umm sorta correct..

What you would have to do, or should do anyway, is first make copies of the original image files, per the instructions, in case of problems.

Then you would need to have the new images, the fairy theme ones, ON the PRE in the user area, you can put them there from your PC when your pre is connected via USB.

Then you would have to stop the USB device, and get to Charge Only

Then get back to the root@castle# prompt and copy the code to get the files from the /media/internal folder on the pre, to the correct location within the PRE OS

For example the actual background image for the dialer, the code to copy would be:

cp /media/internal/backdrop-phone.png /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/

This assumes you have the file backdrop-phone.png on your pre in the user media area, known to linux as /media/internal

It would be cp (copying) that file, to the directory (folder)

/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/

Where the files reside to make up the phone dialer

I forget if this needed a reboot to take effect or not. But if you do all the copy/paste and do not get errors, and you exit the terminal session and do not see your new dialer, try a reboot before assuming it did not work.

You are getting oooohhh so close here
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lxcusic View Post
    wat is the purpose in the emulator when gaining root access
    Just if you want to test anything - such as patches - before doing it to your phone first.
    I have been watching the guy's youtube on rooting the pre....
    and when I attempt to do the Optware Setup, my download always freezes before it is completed. My phone doesn't freeze, but the download just stops. I though maybe they were just big files and took a while, but 45+ min is insane. then I started reading the youtube comments and the guy said that you have to have wifi and continue tapping your pre screen so that it does not go idle. if anyone knows about this, please let me know if this is true. I barely have service in my apt as it is and all of the wifi connections that I can pull with my pre are password protected. I use an ethernet cord for my laptop.
    Ya, you do need pretty good signal strengths or good wifi to get those files to download.

The tapping , if you dont have the My Tether program that has the setting to turn off screen shut down.

Maybe find some time, and go to a Panera Bread, where they have free wifi to get it done?

But again, you dont NEED the whole download and Shh/Putty JUSt to change your dialer

All you really need to do that, is the root@castle# promt, and that you have.

So take a break from the otehr stuff, and go ahead and play around with changing your dialer. It will make you feel like you accomplished something fun.
    Ya, you do need pretty good signal strengths or good wifi to get those files to download.

The tapping , if you dont have the My Tether program that has the setting to turn off screen shut down.

Maybe find some time, and go to a Panera Bread, where they have free wifi to get it done?

But again, you dont NEED the whole download and Shh/Putty JUSt to change your dialer

All you really need to do that, is the root@castle# promt, and that you have.

So take a break from the otehr stuff, and go ahead and play around with changing your dialer. It will make you feel like you accomplished something fun.
    I have been playing with this thing all day...I wish I knew that I needed WiFi! LMAO. But yeah I just really want to change the dialer, buttons, background, startup/shutdown images. can I do all of this without the Wifi, or is it just the dialer that I can mess around with for now without needing a quilt?
    Umm you dont even need ANY internet access to change the dialer, buttons, background, startup/shutdown images. That is all done right ON the phone thru the Linux OS, that IF you can get to a root@castle# prompt, you have ALL you need.

Changing the dialer or any of the images is just simply a matter of copying different images with the same name, back over into the same location they reside in.

As I said before, I had all the images changed on my phone that I wanted to change, way before I even messed with any of the SSH/PuTTy stuff. I ONLY needed that, apparantly to copy the javascript coding to get the landscape email.
    My phone says wifi tethering is enabled at the very bottom... but in my tether it
    says it is
    enabling Wifi
    enabling Ad-Hoc Wifi
    Network: AoNet
    Tethering ON

How can it say wifi tethering is enabled while it says it is enabling?

I can't get online at all... Restarted phone, did not restart computer
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxergreg View Post
    My phone says wifi tethering is enabled at the very bottom... but in my tether it
    says it is
    enabling Wifi
    enabling Ad-Hoc Wifi
    Network: AoNet
    Tethering ON

How can it say wifi tethering is enabled while it says it is enabling?

I can't get online at all... Restarted phone, did not restart computer

Do you have your phone connected directly to your computer? Or are you using your laptop as a wireless?
    Phones plugged in charging, but setup as wireless
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast