Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks, folks - I knew there was some simple way to get the LIST directory and others - I'm just proceeding VERY cautiously!
    I need to get you on yahoo messenger or something to walk me through this. LOL.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    All this is making my head hurt! HAHA

I wish I could get a handle on this stuff like others seem to be doing but it just doesn't catch with me sadly.

Doing things like this is something I will just have to let someone do for me or hope it can all be done with a app.
    Quote Originally Posted by bzsoaddictiv View Post
    I need to get you on yahoo messenger or something to walk me through this. LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casketman View Post
    All this is making my head hurt! HAHA

I wish I could get a handle on this stuff like others seem to be doing but it just doesn't catch with me sadly.

Doing things like this is something I will just have to let someone do for me or hope it can all be done with a app.
    I really feel for your both. I think many of the people here have worked with Linux and other Operating systems for a long time, and while it seems they just seem to be able to get all this very easily, its only because their prior experience with similar functionality and systems is just an easier transition to this than from where you are coming from.

For ME, and as I have said, I am no where near the Linux or programming guru as some here are, BUT I have been at it, with computers, and PCs in general since way before Windows. I think learing to navigate a file system such as DOS before just clicking icons in windows, gave me a better entry to understanding file navigation and command line system process. I also dabbled in some Unix years ago thru work, and more recently renewed my interest in it, when I bought an Asus Linux based net book.

But that said, even WITH my semi related experience it has taken me a while and a LOT of reading around here to get to the point of at least understanding the process involved for some of the fun stuff around here.

Im not sure of my time availability tomorrow, but I may have some time, if you want to try to chat via Yahoo Messenger to see if maybe I can help walk you thru it if you are interested (Its the teacher in me, that just hates to see someone who wanting knowledge and not being able to get it )

PM me if you want to try to set something up for tomorrow. AFter tomorrow will be tougher as Im away for work from Monday to next Saturday.

Never Give up !
    This is what I was looking for.
    all the while pasting these codes into the command box, our pres should be plugged in, correct? should it be under USB or the media sync option?
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    all the while pasting these codes into the command box, our pres should be plugged in, correct? should it be under USB or the media sync option?
    Yes. It should be plugged in under just charge.
    ok I followed the instructions of
    1. Install mojo sdk
    2. Enable dev mode on your Pre
    3. Connect your Pre to your pc via cable (just charge)
    4. Open a command prompt
    5. Type cd \program files\palm\sdk\bin at the command prompt
    6. Type novacom -t open tty:// at the command prompt
    7. Prompt should change to root@castle:/# ←[J

however, on the youtube that the guy was rooting his pre, he was pasting way more codes. what codes were they and how significant are they in the rooting process. this thread lead me to believe that once I see root@castle:/# then I am rooted.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I am at that same code. root@castle.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    ok I followed the instructions of
    1. Install mojo sdk
    2. Enable dev mode on your Pre
    3. Connect your Pre to your pc via cable (just charge)
    4. Open a command prompt
    5. Type cd \program files\palm\sdk\bin at the command prompt
    6. Type novacom -t open tty:// at the command prompt
    7. Prompt should change to root@castle:/# ←[J

however, on the youtube that the guy was rooting his pre, he was pasting way more codes. what codes were they and how significant are they in the rooting process. this thread lead me to believe that once I see root@castle:/# then I am rooted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casketman View Post
    I am at that same code. root@castle.
    See the Next steps - WebOS Internals guide.
    I probably should have mentioned it in the first post (will update it) but basically once you have root access (when you are at root@castle:/# ←[J) you can do w/e you want. Not necessarily follow Next steps - WebOS Internals although it is recommended.

See also Portal:Patches to webOS - WebOS Internals for a list of patches (basically hacks) that can be applied to your Pre such as:
    Patch Launcher Add or Delete Pages - WebOS Internals
    Patch webOS Show Actual Battery Percentage - WebOS Internals
    Patch Clock Changing Alarm Button Order and Snooze Duration - WebOS Internals
    and a bunch more.
    In the youtube, the guy is pasting extra stuff after he is rooted...things that prompt him for a username and password. I never reached this step. Am I missing something? How can I bring up the SSH box like he did if I never entered a username/password to begin with?
    According to you guys, I AM rooted now...
    I just want to change my theme and colors. that's allllll this is so complicated. I went to the thread where someone was making themes and I found the fairy one that I like. How do I go about adding it to my pre since the poster didnt list any codes, just the images?
    and will I be able to unplug my phone from the computer and finish this tomorrow without having to start from scratch with all the coding?
    In the youtube, the guy is pasting extra stuff after he is rooted...things that prompt him for a username and password. I never reached this step. Am I missing something? How can I bring up the SSH box like he did if I never entered a username/password to begin with?
    According to you guys, I AM rooted now...
    I just want to change my theme and colors. that's allllll this is so complicated. I went to the thread where someone was making themes and I found the fairy one that I like. How do I go about adding it to my pre since the poster didnt list any codes, just the images?
    Im assuming THIS is the video you were watching:

What the guy was doing in the video, to gain root access was adding some software called optware to his Pre so that in addition to being able to get root access via a Windows CMD promt, (Once he is at root@castle, he is technically at the linux root) and Novcom, he can also telnet IN (log in from a remote location ie his computer) wirelessly, eliminating the need to plug the PRE in while getting root access. Doing the extra copy/paste stuff he did, enables you to access your PRE from your Computer, using a tool called PuTTy.

Here is the WebOS Internals instructions for that that he is following is:

Next steps - WebOS Internals

Just a small tidbit , on the Instructions page, he shows the following code as 2 separate lines, but the actual page shows it all together. What you have to do, is JUST what he is doing and first copy/paste this:

cd /tmp (enter)
    Which gets you to change directories (cd) to a directory just under the root, called tmp

Then you can copy/paste this:

wget http://gitorious.org/webos-internals...e-bootstrap.sh
    sh optware-bootstrap.sh
    source /etc/profile.d/optware (enter)
    the wget command is actually a linux utility that lets you download stuff from the web

So AFTER you do all this, you will be able to follow the rest of that video to be able to Shell into, or log into, or PuTTy into your root level of your linux OS on your pre.

WHEN you are able to DO that, then you can start to follow some of the other videos adn WebOS internal tutorials for changing themes, dialers, etc.

I really suggest the first one you try is JUST changing the dialer color. It JUST involves 3 files and is pretty straight foward.

Here is the WebOS internals instructions:

Patch Phone Edit Dialer Theme - WebOS Internals

And here is the matching Video

The FIRST part, Changing the Dialer, is what he is showing on the video. To change the entire theme just involves MORE files, but is basicaly the same process, of getting different image files ON the PRE to make the dialer look different.

Keep at it! You'll get it!
    Do I need Novacom and Novaterm, or just one of them? I am folliwing the instructions on the first page here, while also following the directions on palm's SDK download page... and I am having trouble... I thought I was good at computers until last night.

I am a firefighter and working off a poor wifi signal at our county fair today, I was hoping to get it to tether so I could have a better signal.

When I watch the video, I must have a newer version of one of these programs, because it looks different than the one on the video. Now I'm supposed to be loading something into my sdk/bin file and I don't have a sdk/bin file anywhere on my computer... ugghhh
    And SDK download page is telling me
    Do not install the SDK into the same directory as Palm Host
    What palm host? I made a new folder called pre under my C:/ but I still don't have a sdk/bin folder...??
    Check list for order of things that need done:

make sure java up to date
    Install mojo sdk
    Enable dev mode on your Pre
    Have PRE connected to computer as JUST CHARGE

After you download and install the Palm SDK program, you should have just installed it to whereever its defaults wanted it to go, you should have a directory path ON your computer:

c:/program files/palm/sdk/bin

If that went as expected, you should be ready to enter at that point:

novacom -t open tty://

This will communicate with your PRE to get you to:

root@castle#

At THAT point you are IN the Linux OS of the palm
    I changed directories to cd \Program Files\Pre\bin\novacom\x86... now I have root access just not sure what to do to get my tether working...

And what does the emulator do? Does it let you try things out before loading it onto your phone so you don't turn it into a brick?
    and thanks for the help... It is GREATLY appreciated.
    It's much easier to do fire/medical reports without having to sit at a picnic area with a better signal... lol
    It tells me here that I need novaterm, and to download it to sdk/bin... which i do not have, so i installed it and unzipped it in cd \Program Files\Pre\bin\novacom\x86

But it doesn't do anything... i am about frustrated as ever....
    It tells me here that I need novaterm, and to download it to sdk/bin... which i do not have, so i installed it and unzipped it in cd \Program Files\Pre\bin\novacom\x86

But it doesn't do anything... i am about frustrated as ever....
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast