Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    I have Java and Virtualbox installed on my computer, but everytime I click on "Palm Emulator" I get just a flash of the CMD box, and then nothing. Do they need to be installed in the same directory?
    What I did, in terms of steps to get to the root@castle promt, was, make sure java was current, install virtual box, download and install the mojo sdk,.

Put the PRE in Development Mode (Konami code upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart), reboot the Pre

Once all that was done,. I just went to a windows command prompt

Start > Run (type cmd then enter)

This gives you the command window.

Connect Pre with the USB cable to your computer, and select CHARGE ONLY

IF you are connected, and all of the above has been done, you can enter

novacom -t open tty:// (enter)

that should give you:

root@castle:

At THAT point you are IN the linux OS of the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    What I did, in terms of steps to get to the root@castle promt, was, make sure java was current, install virtual box, download and install the mojo sdk,.

Put the PRE in Development Mode (Konami code upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart), reboot the Pre

that should give you:

root@castle:

Did you just copy then just copy and paste the code for the dialer change? The wiki isn't very clear.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    i swear that is not working for me... ahhh i am about to give up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Did you just copy then just copy and paste the code for the dialer change? The wiki isn't very clear.
    im wondering this as well. The wiki isnt explaingin it at all really. Any help would be greatly appreciated as i want to start modding my brand new pre all up
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I have Java and Virtualbox installed on my computer, but everytime I click on "Palm Emulator" I get just a flash of the CMD box, and then nothing. Do they need to be installed in the same directory?
    No they do not have to be installed in the same directory. That would probably be a bad thing.
    What happens when you open (or try to open) virtualbox on its own?

that should give you:

root@castle:

What he wants to do is root into the Pre emulator not his actual phone (same steps but with the emulator running instead of connecting his Pre to the PC).
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    can anyone make a new youtube video of this? i am missing something but i can not for the life of me figure it out....
    Don't laugh at me....

but once you have completed all these steps, THEN what?

will your pre have a different look automatically or will you need to do more to customize it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bzsoaddictiv View Post
    Don't laugh at me....

but once you have completed all these steps, THEN what?

will your pre have a different look automatically or will you need to do more to customize it.
    What the wiki step thru does, is go thru the process of how to change the dialer.

The ACTUAL changes to the 3 main files, is up to YOU! I took the 3 files, that he posted, in the sorta dark black tones, saved them, altered them in Photoshop to give a nice icey blue hue, then save them back, same size, properties and file format, get them back in the media area of the phone before copy/paste the second set of instructions.

The "process" is:

1. get the phone in Dev Mode
    2. get to a root promt on the phone via a computer
    3. copy the existing files to make sure you have the originals if you mess something up
    4. alter the files to your liking , put them back on the phone
    5. copy/paste the next chunk of code which swaps your new files over top of the originals

Part of the problem with doing some of this stuff with ONLY copy/paste, and NOT really understanding the process, leaves room for not understanding when where why and how to DO the copy/paste

I did see a youtube with the step by steps to do this.. course I found it AFTER I had actually gotten it done
    Quote Originally Posted by j0sh097 View Post
    What he wants to do is root into the Pre emulator not his actual phone (same steps but with the emulator running instead of connecting his Pre to the PC).
    So, explain to me the purpose of the Palm Emulator? Im assuming that is JUST for "playing" and poking around a virtual file system, right? Using that would NOT actually allow you to change the dialer, or anythng else on the real phone right?
    What the wiki step thru does, is go thru the process of how to change the dialer.

The ACTUAL changes to the 3 main files, is up to YOU! I took the 3 files, that he posted, in the sorta dark black tones, saved them, altered them in Photoshop to give a nice icey blue hue, then save them back, same size, properties and file format, get them back in the media area of the phone before copy/paste the second set of instructions.

The "process" is:

3. copy the existing files to make sure you have the originals if you mess something up
    5. copy/paste the next chunk of code which swaps your new files over top of the originals

Part of the problem with doing some of this stuff with ONLY copy/paste, and NOT really understanding the process, leaves room for not understanding when where why and how to DO the copy/paste

I did see a youtube with the step by steps to do this.. course I found it AFTER I had actually gotten it done
    I understand what you are saying...
    But with all the coding, I'm so scared of messing up my phone in some way. is there like a way to bring the phone back to default just in case?
    yes, thats part of what the first part of the copies are doing. Copying the 3 original files to make saved copies.. Let me go find the code and see if I can explain it. Now, granted I am NOT one of the resident linux gurus around here, but I know enough, and I am an IT teacher by profession, so maybe I can help. Ok, not a really tech teacher, I teach Web Developement..

The FIRST set of copy/paste codes is this:

cp backdrop-phone.png backdrop-phone.png.old
    cp backdrop-phone-scroll-fade.png backdrop-phone-scroll-fade.png.old
    cp list-section-line.png list-section-line.png.old

cp is a copy command and what it is copying, is the original file (backdrop-phone.png ), which is the background image, to (backdrop-phone.png.old)

That creates a back up copy of the original file in case something goes screwey

The other 2 commands do the same thing for the 2 other main files needed to change the dialer color.

The other steps in the instructions walk thru swapping the new files for the original ones, but IF you need to go back, you would have to sorta reverse the code and cp back the saved versions, to the original file names..

The wiki I followed, was:

Patch Phone Edit Dialer Theme - WebOS Internals

I JUST did the first part, changing dialer color, not the whole theme yet.

That my NEXT conquest! :

Just try to look at and understand each step as you go, and make sure you are careful

Good Luck!
    Thanks to everyone posting on this thread. I am trying to learn rooting and this is helping me along on my education.

Thanks again!
    I'm confused still, can't you just ssh in make copies rename the three original files to .old edit the copied versions and keep them the same name as the originals??
    Quote Originally Posted by franky_402 View Post
    I'm confused still, can't you just ssh in make copies rename the three original files to .old edit the copied versions and keep them the same name as the originals??
    Yes basically that IS what you are doing. But part of the codes are to also move copies of the originals to the media area of the pre so you can get them off edit them, then move them back to the PRE OS area..
    I was having this issue as well with windows vista 32 and 64 bit versions. The trick I found was that the "Palm Emulator" was a link to a windows batch file, not the application. Try going manually into the folder, should be something along the lines of C:\Program Files\Palm\SDK\bin\ and then you will see the actual "PalmEmulator" application if you want to run that.
    The "process" is:

It's step 3 that I think he (and I) are stuck at - I have not worked in Linux. I get a command prompt, but don't know what to do with it. How do I find the existing files/copy the existing files/alter the existing files? Is there a simple LIST function that lets me see the existing files?

If you could just point me to LINUX FOR DUMMIES (or something like that), I'd appreciate it.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    diane is it possible for you to make a new you tube video? you seem to understand the problems that most of us are having...
    It's step 3 that I think he (and I) are stuck at - I have not worked in Linux. I get a command prompt, but don't know what to do with it. How do I find the existing files/copy the existing files/alter the existing files? Is there a simple LIST function that lets me see the existing files?

If you could just point me to LINUX FOR DUMMIES (or something like that), I'd appreciate it.
    Umm well I am certainly NOT the smartest or most proficient linux person around here by FAR, but let me see IF I can sorta explain some of this for those who have even less linux than me.

IF you have gotten to the root@castle# then you did something correctly, that means you are logged in, via a cable, using a terminal communicator such as novacomm to be at the root, or base of the Linux Operating system of your PRE, so good job so far..

Now, to change the phone dialer background, there are just 3 files that have to change.

at the root@castle# you can type in pwd (enter), this will just show you what directory (ok folder for those who started in windows not dos). You should be just at the root of the directory system, or /

IF you want to see all the files and folders directly under where you are, you can type ls or ls -a (enter). That will give you a listing in either short or long form (-a) of all the stuff under the directory you're in.

Now you have just had your very first lesson in Linux, easy huh?

The first command set that you want to enter is the one that navigates you to the directory where the image files are, that you eventually want to change, to make your phone dialer a different color or image. adn that is (and you can copy/paste this)

cd /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/
    ONCE you now see a prompt assuring you , that you are IN the above area, you want to copy/paste the commands to make those important back up copies of the original image files in case somethign goes wrong. Those commands are:

cp backdrop-phone.png backdrop-phone.png.old
    cp backdrop-phone-scroll-fade.png backdrop-phone-scroll-fade.png.old
    cp list-section-line.png list-section-line.png.old

if you notice, the files it is copying, is just making another file with the same name, but ending with .old.

Now because you are IN the Operating System files of the PRE, you need to copy the original files to the user accessible media area of the phone, so you can get to them when connected via regular USB. Techicanlly you can skip this step if you already have files of the exact right size, shape, and format, waiting to be moved to the file system, and over from the user media area, but for now, lets just look at the codes

cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/backdrop-phone.png /media/internal/
    cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/backdrop-phone-scroll-fade.png /media/internal/
    cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/list-section-line.png /media/internal/

IF you look carefullly all you are really doing is coping the files to a different level directory on the PRE, but this is the directory that becomes the user accessible area for you, when you connect the PRE to your computer via USB.

The 3 files you want to edit are:

backdrop-phone.png
    backdrop-phone-scroll-fade.png
    list-section-line.png

Because you now have access to them, you can copy them to your computer, alter them anyway you want in Photoshop or your image program of choice. When you are done, save them back to the PRE, via USB

Then you have to get back to the ever adorable root@castle# prompt, however you got there before, and copy your new files, back to the part of the file system that will see them, to change them on the phone.

Those codes to copy are:

cp /media/internal/backdrop-phone.png /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/
    cp /media/internal/backdrop-phone-scroll-fade.png /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/
    cp /media/internal/list-section-line.png /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/

Once that is all done, you need to reboot the PRE and then with any luck you should see your new dialer.

Good Luck!
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

Yes the ls (letters L and S) command will list all of the files (excluding hidden files) in the current directory.

To show the current directory use the pwd (present working directory) command.

Here is some more help that you might find useful:
    UNIX / Linux Tutorial for Beginners
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    To change the dialer, copy and paste the commands in order. That's it, very simple, just copy and paste in order what the webos internals tell you. The only typing you need to do is mount and remount at the begining and end. Hotrock85 has a utube video on this. It will walk you thru every step. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTNvnXynh9I&feature=related Follow this simplified video, and you'll have it done in 20 minutes. Hope this helps.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast