Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kranstonkincaid View Post
    Sorry to sound like a dummie, but, besides gaining access to your pre's os file what is all this rooting about? And does it void my warranty?
    Most people initially do so they can install applications like 'http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...fi-usb-bt.html' which require root access. Other things you can do is apply custom patches that people have created to the OS.
    For example:

Here is a full list of patches:
    Portal:Patches to webOS - WebOS Internals

Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    I've gotten to the point where I have rooted my Pre - I have a cursor, and a blank screen. THEN WHAT?!? I see references to entering the terminal - what does that mean? Do I use Putty, and how do I enter the Palm Emulator?
    If you are at the point where you have rooted your Pre then you should be at a command prompt saying either
    root@castle:/# ←[J
    or
    root@castle:/#

That is called the terminal (linux's command prompt).
    Putty is simply used to access the terminal through your phones EVDO connection so that you don't have to physically connect your phone to your PC.
    'Entering' the Palm Emulator is only for testing. You don't have to 'enter' it. But if you do want to just make sure your phone is not connected, open the emulator and root into it just like you would your phone.

When I look on the YouTube videos I see a screen of text after they entered "something" - that's what I haven't done yet. I've tried searching here on the forums, but there are so many references it's hard to know which ones have the answers I'm looking for.
    Do you know if you are using Novacom (Novcom on Windows - WebOS Internals) or novaterm (Accessing Linux Using Novaterm - WebOS Internals)?
    If you do, follow the respective link so you can see what they type.
    Otherwise post a screenshot of your command prompt/terminal here and I'll tell you.
    Thanks for posting an intelligent reply - I want to learn, but was concerned that there might be some trolls out there.

I've got Novacom. I'll try the link first.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Thanks for posting an intelligent reply - I want to learn, but was concerned that there might be some trolls out there.

I've got Novacom. I'll try the link first.
    As it says in the link you can go to the Next steps - WebOS Internals page if you are already at the prompt that says root@castle:/# ←[J
    Just checked the link - I have the root@castle:/# So at this point, do I just type whatever I want to change? For instance, do I just type

/usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/launcher-assistant.jsjsjs

if I want to change the page launcher, or do I need to type something to get to that part of the program and replace the line there?
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Just checked the link - I have the root@castle:/# So at this point, do I just type whatever I want to change? For instance, do I just type

/usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/launcher-assistant.jsjsjs

if I want to change the page launcher, or do I need to type something to get to that part of the program and replace the line there?
    Once you are there you can do anything a root user can on linux. That is if you know what you are doing. You can very easily f-up your phone if you don't (there is usually a way of fixing it of course).
    I have rooted using this method and had no problems getting stuff like my tether installed.

However, I am now trying to change my dialer background and understand the whole process of getting into the directories, copying the files, etc..

But. when I access root@castle this way, and try to copy original files to .old, to keep a back up copy, It seems I dont have proper permissions to do this. I am getting a read only error on on my cmd screen??

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    I have rooted using this method and had no problems getting stuff like my tether installed.

However, I am now trying to change my dialer background and understand the whole process of getting into the directories, copying the files, etc..

But. when I access root@castle this way, and try to copy original files to .old, to keep a back up copy, It seems I dont have proper permissions to do this. I am getting a read only error on on my cmd screen??

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    It is saying that the partition you are working on in linux is read-only.
    You probably have to remount it with read/write permissions:
    Code:
    sudo -i
    mount -o remount,rw /
    And when you're done remount it as read-only:
    Code:
    mount -o remount ro /
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    It was out of date, as you say, when I followed it 3 days ago but it worked for me with minor changes. What I did was root in using novacom and a regular cmd prompt. That alone allowed me to do the battery icon hack, call timer hack, caller id hack, etc. Then I started looking into putty which I discovered seems a way to gain access over Wifi other than using novacom. Did you install the optware patch? If so, during that process you should have been asked to create a user name and password. Then open up putty and use the same login info from optware. BTW, I am no expert on this. Never used linux before, just some really basic DOS skills from back in my high school days. Go through that video a few times and have the webos internals website open at the same time. Kind of follow along and you will see that the out dated things in the youtube clip verses the internals site are the same, just different locations on the web site. Hope that helps.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bebo77 View Post
    i can root my pre easily like this...

Novcom on Windows - WebOS Internals

but then when i open putty ( to make custom dialer etc) i get a green cursor.. no security questions?

what am i doing wrong?
    Did you install the optware patch on webos internals?
    Quote Originally Posted by j0sh097 View Post
    It is saying that the partition you are working on in linux is read-only.
    You probably have to remount it with read/write permissions:
    Code:
    sudo -i
    mount -o remount,rw /
    And when you're done remount it as read-only:
    Code:
    mount -o remount ro /
    nope, tried that, get this:

tried sudo -i alone, then both lines as one..???

I'll try this again later.. I think I already rooted my Pre but didn't remember how to install the file for MyTether. It's a shame because I took a Linux class in college a few years back... Got an A in there, but completely forgot almost everything I learned. lol
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    nope, tried that, get this:

tried sudo -i alone, then both lines as one..???

Try just the mount command by itself:
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffrydasean View Post
    It's a shame because I took a Linux class in college a few years back... Got an A in there, but completely forgot almost everything I learned. lol
    HAHAAH Linux was not even invented yet (1991) when I was in college..And Unix (1971)was JUST barely released when I got my undergrad degree..

Im soooooooooo freaking OLD!!!!!!!!!!!
    guess this is just NOT meant to be , today...

Now the socket keeps closing prematurely, novacom: unexpected EOF from server?

What file is it seeing an end to? and why is this happeing??

should I just give up and go drink more coffee, or is there some reasonable explanation to this?

Thanks for any pity help for the terminally OLD yet not yet willing to accept it
    Quote Originally Posted by j0sh097 View Post
    Once you are there you can do anything a root user can on linux. That is if you know what you are doing. You can very easily f-up your phone if you don't (there is usually a way of fixing it of course).
    Thanks - that's what I'm being careful about. I really don't think that I know enough yet to try this! I'll spend some more time reviewing EVERYTHING before I try ANYTHING.

This may be an obvious question to someone who knows what they're doing - I understand that "Palm Emulator" on my computer just pretends to be a phone, and doesn't actually change anything on your phone. It just lets you try stuff out safely.

My question is, how do I access Palm Emulator? And is it "Pre" or just "Palm"? Whenever I click on it, I get a CMD screen for a fraction of a second and then it disappears. Are there other programs that I need to have running first?
    WELL!!

La Di Fricken DA!!!!!!!!!! I DID it!

So a few questions..

The permision, and/or socket closing issues I was having, could they be caused or at least aggrivated by my Novaterm Lan2 connection attempting to start? I noticed it trying to come up on my system tray, but with limited connectivity. ONce I disabled this, the socket did not seem to keep disconnecting in my cmd window??

I now "think" I sucessfully did the mount - thing, but not sure..

Do I need to UNDO that? If it never actually DID take, would entering the undo commands mess anything up?

here is the current permissions on those images

Im sooo excited.. sometimes the little things just make me smile.

For NOW I just took the existing image sample posted on

Patch Phone Edit Dialer Theme - WebOS Internals

and did just a little color/hue adjustment.. NOW that I know the steps, I can change it, or adjust it, or get creative..

YAY!

Thanks Josh, for your help.. what a GREAT name too , thats my sons name, he is 23, but not puter savvy at all, but a total car guru, I take apart and mod puters he takes apart and mods cars..

just a lil brag here, cuz of his name hehe

Josh 13 Fit Engine Rebuild
    Last edited by dianehelen; 08/12/2009 at 09:50 AM.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Thanks - that's what I'm being careful about. I really don't think that I know enough yet to try this! I'll spend some more time reviewing EVERYTHING before I try ANYTHING.

This may be an obvious question to someone who knows what they're doing - I understand that "Palm Emulator" on my computer just pretends to be a phone, and doesn't actually change anything on your phone. It just lets you try stuff out safely.

My question is, how do I access Palm Emulator? And is it "Pre" or just "Palm"? Whenever I click on it, I get a CMD screen for a fraction of a second and then it disappears. Are there other programs that I need to have running first?
    To access the Palm Pre emulator (it's emulating a Palm Pre phone so "Palm Pre emulator" but call it what you will) you have to make sure you have Java and virtualbox installed on your computer. They do not have to be running they just need to be installed.

WELL!!

La Di Fricken DA!!!!!!!!!! I DID it!

<snip>

So a few questions..

The permision, and/or socket closing issues I was having, could they be caused or at least aggrivated by my Novaterm Lan2 connection attempting to start? I noticed it trying to come up on my system tray, but with limited connectivity. ONce I disabled this, the socket did not seem to keep disconnecting in my cmd window??

I now "think" I sucessfully did the mount - thing, but not sure..

Do I need to UNDO that? If it never actually DID take, would entering the undo commands mess anything up?

Im sooo excited.. sometimes the little things just make me smile.

For NOW I just took the existing image sample posted on

Patch Phone Edit Dialer Theme - WebOS Internals

and did just a little color/hue adjustment.. NOW that I know the steps, I can change it, or adjust it, or get creative..

YAY!

Thanks Josh, for your help.. what a GREAT name too , thats my sons name, he is 23, but not puter savvy at all, but a total car guru, I take apart and mod puters he takes apart and mods cars..
    My guess is that it was trying to connect to the second connection but since it never started up correctly it wasn't able to do so.

Nothing will happen if you enter the commands anyway (I'm assuming you are referring to the mount command(s)) except maybe give you an error that it is already read-only.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kpatel72 View Post
    Did you install the optware patch on webos internals?

these? Next steps - WebOS Internals

i cant... when i open putty i get stuck with a green cursor...?

Last edited by Bebo77; 08/12/2009 at 08:36 PM.
    So, say I root the pre this way and I get to the point where i see the root@castle:/# ←[J

Now, if I want to change my dialer theme, all I have to do is paste this code below after that, correct?

cd /tmp/
    mount -o remount rw, /

cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/backdrop-phone.png /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/backdrop-phone.png.orig
    cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/backdrop-phone-scroll-fade.png /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/backdrop-phone-scroll-fade.png.orig
    cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/list-section-line.png /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/list-section-line.png.orig
    wget [ur=http//i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...pphoneblue.png]Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket[/ur -O /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/backdrop-phone.png
    wget [ur=http//i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...llfadeblue.png]Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket[/ur] -O /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/backdrop-phone-scroll-fade.png
    wget [ur=http//i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...onlineblue.png]Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket[/ur] -O /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/list-section-line.png
    luna-send -n 1 palm:/com.palm.appinstaller/rescan {}

Thanks...
    I have Java and Virtualbox installed on my computer, but everytime I click on "Palm Emulator" I get just a flash of the CMD box, and then nothing. Do they need to be installed in the same directory?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast