08/05/2009, 03:16 PM
Updated on 11/30 (see below for details):
I must admit that I have been fairly frustrated with the variation of solutions, opinions, and ideas regarding the use of SMTP via the Pre (and my previous Treo, for that matter). Perhaps it comes from my lack of in-depth knowledge of IT, or my inability to read between the lines, but it seems that every time I go down a path of resolution, I seem to not get the full answer I'm looking for. Often I find that most people piece together solutions that work for them specifically, but don't respond with enough detail so others can make similar breakthroughs they made.
With that said, hopefully I am not being redundant by posting a solution that has been discussed on several different threads. However, maybe by starting a post with a solution, as opposed to a question, people can get more from it.
NOTE 1: I've read all the posts talking about email working one day, but not the next, or even after an update. I'm posting this while it's fresh in my mind, but the next update (or tomorrow) may change things
NOTE 2: I also read all the info about RR not allowing access without being on their netowrk. Not being saavy enough, I have no idea why this works and other things do not work.
The following info is what I learned from poking around all over the internet, looking for a solution (to my liking). Ironically enough, I found the most useful information on the Sprint site. (Posts 6-8 here, pretty much sums up my experiences). Thanks DKWalser!
This ACTUALLY worked for me with the following settings:
- Palm Pre w/ WebOS v1.1.0, Manf date: 6/27/09
(Update 11/30): WebOS v1.3.1
- Roadrunner email (cfl.rr.com)
- WiFi turned off, and is therefore not connected to any roadrunner ISP.
**If WiFi is on within a RR Network, email does not send. Easy fix though, just turn off WiFi**
- NOT using Sprint's SMTP relay (smtp.sprintpcs.com), so no "on behalf of" notifications in emails that I send
- Not using gmail or other "bouncing/forwarding" of emails from other providers
- No remote SMTP service used
Here's what I did (extra detail for those who want step-by-step):
- Deleted all accounts that I had setup, and starting from scratch. Simply editing the account on my Pre did NOT work (that's odd).
- Entered email address and password in the "add account" entry screen.
- Allowed the Pre to try and "Sign In" onto cfl.rr.com for me
- After the Pre failed to "Sign In", clicked on "Manual Set Up"
- Entered the name of "incoming mail server". (pop-server.cfl.rr.com)
- Entered username and password.
- Skipped over the rest of the "incoming mail server" entries. The default settings were correct.
- Entered the name of "outgoing mail server". (smtp-server.cfl.rr.com)
- Turned on "Use Authentication".
- The username and password was auto-filled based on the entries in the "incoming mail server" section. I skiped over these entries. They are correct (assuming no mistakes in prior section).
- Changed the port # from 25 to 587. Note: I don't know whether the port is different for RR smtp servers in other parts of the country.
Update 11/30: After updating to WebOS 1.3.1, I wiped my phone using WebOS Doctore to clean it up from some early homebrew installs/patches that were lingering. After the wipe, port 587 DID NOT work, but port 25 DID.
- Set encryption to "None". Note: I don't know if this is the proper setting for other RR smtp servers in other parts of the country.
I was SO relieved when this actually worked. I sent emails to my other address, to the same address, replied to emails, forwarded attachements, and everything else I could think of before deciding to post this.
Hopefully it helps someone out there...