Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Hello i've been trying to add music to my palm pre, and whenever i hit USB Device mode when i plug in the USB cable, nothing happens, the first time i did it it tried to install drivers but it failed too, i think this is a windows 7 problem, does anyone know a work around for this? i really want to add my own music to my pre, any suggestions would help, thank you
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I'm using windows 7 and have never had a problem. Have you tried turning it off and on again.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    yeah i have, it does nothing, is there a way i can manual download the drivers to make the USB work?
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    I had that same problem when I first got the Pre. Mine synced when I bought another usb charger (palm car charger). So the problem might be the usb charger cord. You could try that.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I have no issues using my Pre with Windows 7. It immediately recognized it as a Palm Pre. I am using a cable I bought a cable off of monoprice.com for less than $2 plus s/h. If you have another computer hook it up and see if you have the same problem but it could very well be a bad cord.
    Mine hooks up fine with the cable that came with it. Check that cord, could be the culprit.
    I have like 5 different cables and they all work with Windows 7. The only issue I have (and I believe its a known issue) is using the SDK with Win7. to get around that, I simply run the SDK in the WinXP VM that is part of Win7. that works great.

The other issue could be that your USB ports are not working correctly. Do other USB devices work when you plug them into the ports?

Also, try doing it after a cold boot. Shut down your PC entirely. Then boot from the power button to Windows and give it a try.
    Win7 has an on going USB device problem. At random times WIn7 will just stop devices that have been recently connected, or reconnected. Just a simple reboot will fix this problem. If that's not it, my money is also on the USB cable.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkims View Post
    Win7 has an on going USB device problem. At random times WIn7 will just stop devices that have been recently connected, or reconnected. Just a simple reboot will fix this problem. If that's not it, my money is also on the USB cable.
    Really? I've been using windows 7 since the first leaks as my primary os on several PCs and have NEVER seen behavior like this, sounds like a driver issue with your specific chipset/usb controller.
    When i plugged mine in, it recognized the device but took 3-5 minutes to install drivers which was really weird but i had just plugged in a card reader and had a bad sd card in it and it was taking forever to reconize that, once i took out the card reader it worked fine.

No problems on 2 computers running windows 7 x64, or vista x64, maybe your driver got stuck or something to into device manager and try uninstalling the thing with the yellow exclamation mark.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I havent tried media synch, but USB and Charging work for me on win7 x64
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Yeah it's weird i dont understand, i have a laptop with windows 7 and it works fine, but my desktop computer has Windows 7 7600 RTM, and it just won't read it, is there anyway i can manual install USB drivers, or palm pre drivers?
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Really? I've been using windows 7 since the first leaks as my primary os on several PCs and have NEVER seen behavior like this, sounds like a driver issue with your specific chipset/usb controller.
    I wouldn't be shocked. After checking again with the people I know who have this issue, we all seem to have ATI cards. Besides that the chipsets do not match. This started happening to me after the last major security patch they put out, and never in any build prior to RC.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Hey guys, Just got my pre and had the exact same issue with Windows 7 x64. I solved the problem by plugging the pre into the back of the computer rather than the front USB ports. I don't know why this fixed it but it did.

Good luck!
    Additionally try to remove the batterry and USB cable, hold the Volume up button and reverse the proccess.
    a bump on the information super highway
    I just installed WebOSquickinstall. Opened the link and then I pressed 3rd button down from the right (just under + and - signs). It prompt a message saying for me to connect my device and then press ok. I've connected my device multiple times but still getting same message. Quick note if I simply plug my pre to my laptop for charge, copy and paste, or music usb does work. Just doesn't work for WebOSquick install. Any suggestions.
    I'm on win 7 x64 as well and I dont have a problem at all. Its charging from my PC as we speak. Or as I type rather...
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    It is hard to find every last detail here in forums sometimes. But go to the Homebrew page and it goes through it step by step. I think your problem is that you first plug in your Pre, set it to "Just Charge" Then type in webos20090606 and the developer mode will pop up. WebOS QI needs the Pre to be in developer mode to work. Switch developer mode to on, reset it, then do WOSQI stuff. After you are done, bring up developer mode again and turn it off (phone will reset again). Hope that helps.
    My Device manager showed the Pre as an unknown device. I told Windows 7 to uninstall it. I then disconnected and reconnected the Pre, and after the automatic installation, things worked fine.
    there is a keyboard combo that worked for me when i bricked mine. restart your pre but hold the up-volume key while it restarts. it will go into automatic usb mode. may work for you. if it doesn't go past usb mode then restart again to get out in a pinch. i had to remove the battery but my phone was already very sick. at least it did give me the usb symbol on the screen.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast